Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd July 2022, 13:24     #43321
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

muh

Since I'm not really playing an instrument, I won't put in the "playing" thread, but here's a hard house mix for your Friday.

Out of sync beat matching 15 mins in because it's on old school CDJs not "kids these days" Serato magic. I managed to recover quick enough, but was recording, so you get to hear the mud. Certified human mix.

Dr TiTus - Addiction Mix
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:52     #43322
Biggus
Beaner!

Trademe madness

So who's up for a game of Doom for $500+
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...ng/3684711187?
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:45     #43323
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’ve got an identical box sitting on my office shelf. But I don’t have a puter with a floppy drive
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:16     #43324
Biggus
Beaner!

I'm pretty sure I threw mine out in a clean up during lockdown
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:35     #43325
wazza
*flex*

i have that box, too.
Old 25th July 2022, 13:08     #43326
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Elon Musk continues his personal quest to solve the West's falling population growth rate

https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/06/th...euralink-exec/
Elon's wealth protection strategy: have sex with the wives of other billionaires so if he gets them pregnant, they don't need his money. Genius.

Elon Musk accused of affair with Google co-founder’s wife

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...25-p5b47n.html

Edit update: Elon says it’s all bullshit
Old 25th July 2022, 16:24     #43327
xor

I've been able to avoid SQL for my entire life until now. Bah
Old 28th July 2022, 21:35     #43328
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

RIP Bernard Cribbins

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-62330478
Old 29th July 2022, 06:57     #43329
StN
I have detailed files

Whoa! He was the spoon salesman?

Old 29th July 2022, 13:38     #43330
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I know! And The Wombles narrator!
Old 29th July 2022, 13:47     #43331
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Edit update: Elon says it’s all bullshit
He also denied the only cool thing he's ever done, the threesome with Amber and Cara.
Old 29th July 2022, 13:58     #43332
StN
I have detailed files

Would he ever deny the hose man?

Old 29th July 2022, 14:00     #43333
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Would he ever deny the hose man?

Man, African Americans ain't the colour they used to be.
Old 29th July 2022, 16:52     #43334
_indigo1

In a strange firing of the neurons, that image gave me a flashback to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoAcXu65TM

Both contextual, AND random thought!
Old 30th July 2022, 11:27     #43335
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Search function is giving me errors.

Random Q - How do people move money to NZ these days? I have 5 figure sum of cash to move from Commonwealth NZ to a ASB Bank account in NZ.

People generally use...?
Old 30th July 2022, 11:50     #43336
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If you’re crypto-proficient and have on and off ramps in each country, Stellar is built for this.

Before crypto I used xe.com.
Old 30th July 2022, 12:24     #43337
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I've been using wise.com to send to Ukraine because the fees are waived, but they are apparently quite low rates usually. Maybe check out what they will charge. I can't say I've sent large amounts such as you intend to do, so that could introduce an extra layer of anti-money laundering complexity.

Edit: It estimates around $50 for 10k

Last edited by DrTiTus : 30th July 2022 at 12:26.
Old 30th July 2022, 15:10     #43338
Lightspeed

Sometimes I'll get old advertising jingles stuck in my head like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy6kM-0TvoU

When it goes on for too long it starts going into slow-mo: "Yooouuu'llll loooooove honeeeey puuuuuuuffs".

This is what's stuck in my head, fucking artefacts of lapsed advertising. It could be anything, we could have used those techniques to reinforce any kind of thoughts or ideas. What we got was reminders of consumer goods. I don't even buy Honey Puffs any more, these days they're just puffs that have heard tell of honey.

Maybe this is all some happy middle ground, lolz.
Old 30th July 2022, 16:05     #43339
Trigga*happY

Ok, have made the decision to try and do something about being overweight. Have started some basic cardio and stretchy stuff a couple of weeks ago. Wanting to invest in a fitness tracker so I can hold myself to account honestly

After breaking my L3/L4 vertebrae, i deal with chronic pain and opiates on a daily basis, so anxiety/depression plays a large part in my life, so I need something to keep track of my routine, and remind me that I have a routine I need to keep up, forgetfulness is a SERIOUS problem in this situation.

Anyway, all that shit aside... any recommendations on fitness trackers/smart watches. Don't really want to spend more than $350, so budget is pretty constrained.

Any advice gladly accepted!

*edit* I do have an iPhone, so integration would be
Old 30th July 2022, 16:23     #43340
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I've got a Fitbit Inspire 2. It does the heart rate, step count, activity reminders, and the Fitbit dashboard works well for me (and I've got Fitbit Aria smart scales that also tie into it). It doesn't have GPS though to my knowledge, so it's not for the cycling/running hardcore. Battery life is OK (~1 week).

I've seen some people just use their phone as a step counter, but I wanted the heart monitor specifically, and this was the cheapest in the Fitbit range at the time. I'm on Android, so I don't know if Apple has something that's more expensive and ... the same.
Old 30th July 2022, 16:31     #43341
Trigga*happY

Yeah i've been tossing backwards and forwards between a fitbit charge 5 and an apple watch 3, so hoping you kindly gentleman can give me pro's cons of the various devices you've used, and maybe even put another hat in the ring if there's something else out there that's awesome, overlooked and cheap lol

Thanks DrT - will check out the Inspire and see how it stacks up!

**edit** and yes heart monitoring is important for me also... I have had some heart flutters that the doc is concerned about, and I see that some of the fitness trackers now also track heartbeat irregularity, which would be awesome... blood pressure would be great, but I don't think they're really doing that particularly well yet.

Oh and sleep monitoring lol! Pretty much what i'm after is a health and wellness monitor with fitness tracking capability

Last edited by Trigga*happY : 30th July 2022 at 16:35.
Old 30th July 2022, 17:30     #43342
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native
Search function is giving me errors.

Random Q - How do people move money to NZ these days? I have 5 figure sum of cash to move from Commonwealth NZ to a ASB Bank account in NZ.

People generally use...?
CBA owns ASB - talk to a manager at CBA, they might be able to do it for you for a minimal fee.
Old 30th July 2022, 18:58     #43343
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigga*happY
Any advice gladly accepted!
Don't try and use fitness to lose weight.
Fitness is great and absolutely worth it for your health - but to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit - read: eat less.
Old 30th July 2022, 20:28     #43344
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Fitness is great and absolutely worth it for your health - but to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit - read: eat less.
this
They go great hand in hand, but diet determines energy, and it's far far simpler to moderate input than maintain output.
Old 30th July 2022, 20:46     #43345
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Yep, dietary requirements are on the table too. On an average day I'd probably eat a couple of pieces of tomato on toast, couple sandwiches and dinner... snacks might be a couple of anzac type biscuits in the day, and about 6-8 cups of coffee lol! So nothing TOO out of control.

Part of getting a routine going. With chronic pain and morphine every day, my eating habits are way out of whack. Some days i eat nothing, other days i splurge. On my really bad pain days, I will be VERY lucky to see 1000 steps.

A big reason for the fitness side of things is purely for the routine, to try and break my anxiety/depression symptoms. Something to encourage me to grit my teeth and push through the miasma of pain and depression. Plus fitness = endorphins, so win/win.

**edit** morphine plays havoc with your digestion as well, and I average between 2-6 hours sleep a night, with at least one sleepless night in there per week, sometimes 2 or 3. So basically ALL my systems are.... fucked!

Last edited by Trigga*happY : 30th July 2022 at 20:50.
Old 30th July 2022, 21:00     #43346
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
fitbit charge 5 and an apple watch 3.... pro's cons
Probably the first thing that sticks out with the Apple Watch is the claimed battery life is more like a day than a week. I tend to just wear my Fitbit until I get an email telling me it's low, or I notice it doesn't show time, then I charge it at my desk and put it back on after an hour. If I was regularly charging it I might forget to put it on for sleep etc, which although I don't particularly care if it gets measured or not, it's nice to charge and forget, and still have that data.

As for your diet, try cutting out the bread, or getting wraps instead of bread and loading it up with more filling or healthy content - maybe an opportunity to try new things and form new habits. They also last longer in the fridge, instead of going mouldy like bread does, so you don't eat it for the sake of using up the loaf. Another benefit is you realize you're being a greedy bastard when you can't fold it properly and you need to use less filling :P
Old 31st July 2022, 00:52     #43347
Trigga*happY

Cheers DrT! That's some good info thanks. Might have to steer closer to the fitbit then, as I definitely want the sleep tracking in and would rather not have to take it off daily to charge it

Good thoughts on the bread, i'll give that a go. Can stuff some salad stuff into a wrap which is only gonna do good things. I definitely changing WHAT i'm eating and WHEN is more important than how much, provided I can ditch the binge eating when the mood hits
Old 31st July 2022, 12:10     #43348
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Thank you all for the advice on the transfer from AU.

Also appreciate being here for the food comments.

From a friend's recommendation, I recently spent $99 on a 8-Week Diet called 'Man-Plan' which is basically geared at 40 year mid-life crisis, how have I gotten fat, men.

Started at 88kgs, now just below 85kgs after week 5. Biggest advantage is you get a meal plan, and recipes but game-changingly a NZ-relevant shopping list - which I just shop for on Sunday's.

Wife is on it as she doesn't want to cook twice and the results have been amazing. Biggest difference is I don't snack and after the first couple of weeks - don't crave or miss carbs (although I struggle with the sweet tooth - but I can still walk past it).

https://mikkiwilliden.com/
Old 31st July 2022, 13:30     #43349
Savage

Quote:
Cheers DrT! That's some good info thanks. Might have to steer closer to the fitbit then, as I definitely want the sleep tracking in and would rather not have to take it off daily to charge it

Good thoughts on the bread, i'll give that a go. Can stuff some salad stuff into a wrap which is only gonna do good things. I definitely changing WHAT i'm eating and WHEN is more important than how much, provided I can ditch the binge eating when the mood hits
Intermittent Fasting

Has worked wonders for me personally, and a couple of friends who have given it a go. It's not for everyone, but has some great (claimed) benefits. Worth looking into if you're serious wanting to lose some weight/decrease body fat %.
Old 31st July 2022, 13:53     #43350
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I gave Michael Moseley’s Fast 800 program a crack during lockdown, as well as upping my cardio, and it was insane. The kgs just fell off me.
Old 1st August 2022, 09:26     #43351
Ajax
Architeuthis

Wacked

Trouble brewing between Serbia and Kosovo. Another war in the Balkans is really not the ticket at the moment.
Old 1st August 2022, 13:37     #43352
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh jesus, really?
Old 1st August 2022, 17:03     #43353
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Happy birthday [Malks] Pixie!
Old 1st August 2022, 17:09     #43354
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Happy birthday [Malks] Pixie!
HB Pixie
Old 1st August 2022, 18:19     #43355
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Happy birthday Pixie

You got mad at me for wishing you happy birthday on Twitter, so I'll keep it on the down low and say HB here :P
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:10     #43356
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Old 2nd August 2022, 23:10     #43357
Ajax
Architeuthis

Twitch

Pelosi’s flight towards (possibly) Taiwan is being tracked by 330K people at the moment.

https://www.flightradar24.com/SPAR19/2ce4f83f
Old 4th August 2022, 17:07     #43358
MadMax
Stuff

On occasion I’ve wondered what I’d be like as a manager for someone doing my role. I fear I’d be one of those micromanaging pricks as I’m such a stifler for things being done comprehensively right.

If someone asks me to do x, I’ll ensure it’s not only done but also get confirmation all is well afterwards. If as a result of x having any potential impact on y then I ensure y will also be taken care of. Something I see being missed too often.
Old 4th August 2022, 17:30     #43359
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm not a gamer - but my friend's 11/12ish year old son wants a Fortnite computer, and I've got a spare computer that I can give him. My question is - is WiFi still a bag of shit to try and game with? Or am I just too old and that is no longer the case? Or do I just not tell him that there's actually a better world out there and just let him die a lot? :P

I'm strictly Ethernet till I die, I like my 1Gbps file copies, and I barely play games, so my experience doesn't count.

What do you reckon? Tell him about Ethernet and running a cable on the floor or keep it quiet and it's good enough for now?
Old 4th August 2022, 18:57     #43360
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I'm not a gamer - but my friend's 11/12ish year old son wants a Fortnite computer, and I've got a spare computer that I can give him. My question is - is WiFi still a bag of shit to try and game with? Or am I just too old and that is no longer the case? Or do I just not tell him that there's actually a better world out there and just let him die a lot? :P

I'm strictly Ethernet till I die, I like my 1Gbps file copies, and I barely play games, so my experience doesn't count.

What do you reckon? Tell him about Ethernet and running a cable on the floor or keep it quiet and it's good enough for now?
What wifi does he have? If it's wifi6, and he's not far from the wap, should be fine. What isn't fine is allowing him to play Fortnite