NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Fortress Forum
User Name
Password

Old 3rd June 2006, 07:06     #241
Anthony.S

Amazes me how that name stuck, only tagged it to play a little pyro for a bit.

But yeah, that be me apparently
Old 3rd June 2006, 14:31     #242
oblivious

everclear woah haven’t heard from you in yeaaars
donno if you remember me i was called emperor back in sfs days heh. ah some good times back then - running around like a mad sob playing scout.

good to hear things are going well over in oz for you.
Old 5th June 2006, 20:15     #243
SFSEverclear

Ahh Purge, sup man...add me to icq if u still got it bro

OMG Emp, u kinda vanished into thin air towards the end. Hows it going dood? Add me as well
Old 9th June 2006, 01:56     #244
Anthony.S

Hihi ^^

Don't have ICQ anymore due to being a bit of a time hog (can't afford that atm), pop on MSN probably once every 3 months or so though.

Anyway, good to see you're still alive and doing well
Old 11th October 2006, 01:58     #245
MadMax
Stuff

sfs ftw
Old 2nd March 2007, 14:39     #246
ez.dakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0Lv3R1nE
Warnight came ova to my house one day installed quake 1 for me and i ended up playing that for about 3 months. Then he comes back after while and d/l quakeworld 4 meand namemaker and came up with my name, i didnt agree with it just said "yeah whatever" and carried on playing Sega Master System II! So anyway he logs me ontot this server and pushes tab and the first person i see is poo-bum
i cracked up for ages .
Asked Holy Avenger/Soulblade if i could join WkH that clan ended up to be quite good only lost to TfT .

That dibanded after the league in 1997 and i joined Q0D which was lead by some guy called protester then he left and gave it to Orion blur was also in that clan
My dad canceled the internet connection after that coz we were going overseas for a month :/

came back in 2000 in may and joined this clan called baal. that sucked shit so then i joined 1NC. looking for a decent clan i went thru quite a few :/ then finally joined KeY after that disbanded
finally came up with my own clan called SuA lol name was thought up by anarchy and me we had good players, Ice Fox Haze, Lion Rico Deac Dakaha Khartoum and some others....
disbanded that coz no one was ever online or turned up to practices joined tmc i had a good go there then took a break when my computer fucked up on me :/

came back about a month ago slutted for tc and tna
now im in tna

p.s thatnks to blip, shrimp, silva who helped me get quakeworld running, and not coming up with the stupid msg Couldn't load GFX.wad !

Just thought I'd pop in and say, I do remember SuA.
Hehe,, nifty little TF clan that one.
Old 3rd March 2007, 00:29     #247
Azmodan

Sometime about 2004 I went out and met, and hit the piss with brass and player/tripz.. good times, did some stuntman shots and talked shit. end of last year (2006) I met tripz again through my mate, didnt remember him and still somehow got on the topic of tf, you can imagine how buzzy that was. also turns out i'd met quiksilva without realising it. intense.
Old 4th April 2007, 17:31     #248
Body Count
Down but not out!

i used to play TF and MTF, MTF OWNED! loved sniper... and the lay option, was so ez 2 headshot n00bz.. forgot to add, i owned...
Old 5th April 2007, 20:20     #249
silva^

Not hard to own at MTF, just means you were probably the biggest idiot of the bunch ! MTF is to TF what TF is to CTF
Old 6th April 2007, 13:19     #250
?>Superman

Completely right. All the DM'ers and CTF'ers were pretty much of a higher standard than TF'ers, with a few exceptions. But on the whole it was lol, i remember when i went to play on a TF server for the first time and i got told i was using speed hack when i was in fact speed-jumping .
Old 6th April 2007, 16:27     #251
Anthony.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
Completely right. All the DM'ers and CTF'ers were pretty much of a higher standard than TF'ers, with a few exceptions. But on the whole it was lol, i remember when i went to play on a TF server for the first time and i got told i was using speed hack when i was in fact speed-jumping .
Did you play pub or matches?

Because to be honest, although a popular stigma it doesn't really stack up re organized games. Most people crossed over at one point or another and I never really saw a particular amount of skill distance between the mods. Different mechanics which you needed to get used to, but nothing that really said one was more 'elite' over the other.

I got accused of botting repeatedly by a fairly well known CTF'er on a pub during one session, but I don't rate stupid comments (especially while playing public) as being indicative of a mods skill base. It happens all the time on various mods/games and most people have been accused of something or other.
Old 7th April 2007, 12:04     #252
Body Count
Down but not out!

Quote:
i Guess you do have a point, as i did come from DM to TF then MTF, i just enjoyed the small diffrences about MTF over TF!
Old 7th April 2007, 12:43     #253
Anthony.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Count
i Guess you do have a point, as i did come from DM to TF then MTF, i just enjoyed the small diffrences about MTF over TF!
Most people came from DM or CTF, it didn't make them any more (or less) skilled.

Nine times out of ten people that post about how much they owned, either played Sniper (not used in matches), MTF (as far as I know there were no competitions for), defence and/or are talking about their pub server prowess.

Most times I don't even recognize the names of the ppl posting from the genuinely skilled players who were involved in competition. These people don't generally go around proclaiming their god like status because they understood the concept of being part of a team. They certainly didn't take public play as an indication of how good they were due the nature of TF requiring organization (which you certainly wouldn't get a high degree of on pubs).

It actually astonishing how many self titled 'great' players (or players that comment on the skill base) that I've never seen involved in competitive play.

Last edited by Anthony.S : 7th April 2007 at 12:44.
Old 7th April 2007, 16:26     #254
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.S
Most people came from DM or CTF, it didn't make them any more (or less) skilled.
You're joking right? DM players in general were yonks ahead of TF'ers in movement and skill(yes pure aim they were better). I didn't conduct scientific tests, but i think it's fair to say TF drew upon team strength rather than Individual(hence the name TEAM Fortress). The later years once speed-jumping became "must-know" in TF and fuhquake n all the other goodies had come out the avg TF skill-level shot up heaps.

In hindsight, it's probably not fair to compare the two considering the movements...well a little different. But i remember the time that i came onto G3(yeah lololol g3=noob) and danced around most of the players there on my first go(And i was never that spectacular at DM).
Old 7th April 2007, 17:04     #255
Anthony.S

Movement wasn't exclusive to DM'ers (not that playing TF meant you couldn't play DM/whatever either, most good players were well rounded), it wasn't uncommon for players to use a combination of Quakes and TF's own movement exploits (if anything TF had more available to the mod), SJ was also around before zQuake made it easy for everyone.

As for aim, it's not even really worth responding to.

If your examples are coming from public play on G3 then there's not much point in debating. Most average to high level clanners didn't play there anyway.
Old 8th April 2007, 04:59     #256
?>Superman

Yes well thats true, G3 was sorta like Xtra FFA to me. Free frags for Assholes.

I'm also well aware of the fact SJ was around before zQuake i'm not sure where you are going with that? Without the special grens n shit i don't see a TF'er doing anything most DM'ers hadn't already accomplished and done better.

I feel like you're being a bit idealistic in your review of TF there, and might sound a bit arrogant of me to say it but i always believed in DM'ers being better on average than TF'ers. SJ was well crankin in DM long before Tonik bought out zQuake and the other spawned varieties. TBH i only got into TF when the DM scene died and found i could easily manage to play on an American server with a 300+ ping(was on dialup back then) and easily manage. I try playing with a 100 ping in aus on an average DM server and got found it bloody tough...

Thats my take on it, and as i recall most of the dm'ers i used to rocketjump around with felt the same way. Take it with sugar or make it sour if u want
Old 8th April 2007, 06:13     #257
Anthony.S

Well, judging by experience and less narrowed vision we'll just have to settle for me being right, and you being wrong

I had other stuff typed up, but I think it'd be a waste of time in the long run. You base your argument on G3 pub, and I think that pretty much says it all to be honest.

Last edited by Anthony.S : 8th April 2007 at 06:17. Reason: typos
Old 8th April 2007, 12:50     #258
?>Superman

Quote:
Well, judging by experience and less narrowed vision we'll just have to settle for me being right, and you being wrong

I had other stuff typed up, but I think it'd be a waste of time in the long run. You base your argument on G3 pub, and I think that pretty much says it all to be honest.
No i don't actually i just used G3 as an example(I love how you seem to be implying everyone in G3 was of shit quality, when i never really intended to act pretentious about it, congrats ). World-net was exactly the same for me...and experience? Do you even know how long i've been playing?(I'd assume your pre-qw just like me) It's not a matter of measuring your quake "old-skoolness" penis anyway. Narrowed vision doesn't come into play when i pretty much tried every mod Quake had to offer including Prydon's Gate(Diablo-esque quake mod). I'm just stating what i saw and how it just "seemed to be". Still my opinion at the end of the day.

If your gonna make assumptions without even taking in what i'm saying then you're right. It is pointless

Remember i never denied the talent of some TF'ers and i never had a agenda against TF like most DM'ers and CTF'ers did (tf = for noobs types). Sounds like you're just trying to make it sound all nice and even and "tf players are just as good as dm players ya know!".

So i'm gonna go right ahead and know that i speaketh the truth just like the majority of the other qw'ers who felt the same way. Thanks.

Last edited by ?>Superman : 8th April 2007 at 12:51.
Old 8th April 2007, 13:35     #259
Azmodan

Quote:
As for aim, it's not even really worth responding to.
Hmm, why not?

Gotta say I think Superman is right here, take rax as an example, a stalwart of the vq, then qw, qwctf communities - switches to tf and after his skills were noticed played for nz's premiere clans against the australians.

I dont think it could work the other way, aside from the cream of the crop, alpine etc most tfers would get raped by the faster paced gameplay of qw
Old 8th April 2007, 14:42     #260
MrTTTT

I have a huge old-skoolness penis
Old 9th April 2007, 14:17     #261
Bushwally

Big Smile

Last edited by Bushwally : 9th April 2007 at 14:18.
Old 9th April 2007, 14:17     #262
Bushwally

Big Smile

Hey ragamuffins

How you all doing? Long time no hear. I get all nostalgic during my holidays and start to think of the good old TF days So yeah.. that's kind of why I have found myself back here.

How ya been, Ben, Daniel, Tom, Anthony? (Hey congrats on getting married Anthony!) I do believe I have your names all right... but if not sorry lol. Tom, are you still in Rotorua and what you up to these days? Sorry I havent been on MSN for ages, miss our conversations. Oh by the way do you still have that book I gave you to lend 'Run Baby Run?' by chance?

I can't believe there are so many old TFer's still around. It's nice to see. I lost ICQ years ago, and had to resort to Trillian (which worked in conjunction with ICQ program). However that's not going either now and I have lost everyones contacts, so not sure how to get in contact with some people. Am I still on anyone's ICQ list? The only TF'er I still see in person, is my mate David (aka Hell Hound) who is a great guy and is doing extremely well (I just think of the reputation he gained during the old days lol).

Chops is going pretty good in general, he brought himself a Suzuki 1400 (one of the more modern models) so has been getting into riding again. He was made redundant from his job of nearly 30 years though, a couple of weeks ago, so he is applying for jobs at the moment. So hopefully he will find a fantastic job, that he loves.

And me, im good, still at university, doing my masters this year in health psychology (one day I swear I will leave). Have been accepted into an internship for next year, so after that I can finally register as a psychologist (which I am looking forward too). It's funny I just read one of my old posts, when I was just about to leave highschool (2001) and didn't really know what to do with myself (one of my ideas was that I might become a florist).

I started doing Aikido which I love (but don't go enough) and just joined the gym this year (so un-like me) but want to be more fit. Also tutoring stage one psych labs, which is alot of fun (most the time anyway)

Other than that, don't play any computer games (as don't have the time) and plus I wouldn't know where to begin now anyway (and I get easily addicted to things lol). What do you guys play these days?

Hope thing's are all fluffy-icious with you all. I thought I would just check in to see how you guys are all doing (and display my fantastic talent of rambling, once again).

Jo

P.s. Do any of you have Jason's (Insanity) or his brother's (Protester) icq number/latest email addys by chance? Or Dark Lords (Scott) or Punisher (Jason). Or have they drifted away never to be heard of again? If any of you guys read this, email me yeah! ([email protected]).

Last edited by Bushwally : 9th April 2007 at 14:20.
Old 9th April 2007, 20:10     #263
silva^

Wow, look who crawled out of the woodwork ! Good to see you still remember the URL and your login details

I think ICQ is fairly redundant these days and most people would tend to use messenger or ichat. I still keep in touch with a couple of old farts on msn, namely Adun, Cyclonic, Farq andTom. Can't say I've heard from Dark Lord for ages although his brother is still around somewhere, I don't have a contact for him though. And no fucking idea what happened to Insanity sorry.

Bushwally you are just in time, TF2 is going to be released soon (honest, I promise!!) so time to dust off your rocket launcher!

I can't remember the last time I spoke to you so heres a very brief rundown of the last 5 years: Finished high school, 4 years at Otago uni, now living in Christchurch working as a FileMaker developer.

If you use windows messenger then add me to yer list sometime, [email protected]
Old 9th April 2007, 20:36     #264
Azmodan

Hi Jo good to see you're still around
Old 9th April 2007, 22:15     #265
oblivious

hey
jason(Insanity) flats with me, ill point him to this topic.
Old 9th April 2007, 22:30     #266
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivious
hey
jason(Insanity) flats with me
Old 9th April 2007, 23:42     #267
Insanity

Last edited by Insanity : 9th April 2007 at 23:43.
Old 9th April 2007, 23:49     #268
Insanity

wrong button

but yeah, I'm still around though don't post much these days. Anyway, I sent you an email
Old 10th April 2007, 02:36     #269
Anthony.S

Quote:
If your gonna make assumptions without even taking in what i'm saying then you're right. It is pointless
That's kinda how I felt too Superman, you're assuming things based on pub play when a lot of talent didn't bother with it, and also you've only seen half the game. Re the exclusivity thing, something I don't really get tbh. Yes I'm sure there were those that played only the one thing, but DM, CTF, RA, CA were pretty fair game and some of us started with one (depending on when a person started), some of us crossed back and fourth.

I'm not trying to get up you, I think to make better judgment however you really needed to have played the game properly (competitively). Because no matter how many QW'ers agree with you (it has always been a popular thing to say from day one, even from those who haven't even bothered with pub), unless you played clan you missed a lot.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not too fussed really as it is an old cliché debate. Plus, it's not like we can prove anything now
Old 10th April 2007, 03:09     #270
Anthony.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodan
Hmm, why not?
Partly because it's a pretty predictable thing to say, I've heard it so many times from people who've lost that blame the grens, then proceed to say the mod lacks aim. Then when you do give them a go without grens they end up finishing by blaming class speed/reloads etc and then proceed to challenge you to a game of DM.

Quote:
Gotta say I think Superman is right here, take rax as an example, a stalwart of the vq, then qw, qwctf communities - switches to tf and after his skills were noticed played for nz's premiere clans against the australians.
As much as I respected and liked rax it wasn't exactly a premiere clan, and without trying to insult him he still had work to do (which was natural, considering he was playing a foreign mod).

And I actually got to play with him during that time Azmodan.

Quote:
I dont think it could work the other way, aside from the cream of the crop, alpine etc most tfers would get raped by the faster paced gameplay of qw.
This is where the argument fails (imo), it's assuming a TF player is automatically unfamiliar with other mods/hasn't experienced anything outside TF.

Granted, TF did have it's fair share of 'casual' players but they only survived on pub, they couldn't survive in a competitive environment. And unfortunately, this whole argument is coming from those who either never experienced many first class games or didn't experience a clan game at all.

I don't totally disagree, but I don't fully agree either as I feel it's a popular 'blonde' generalization. Especially when it comes from people who haven't really played the game properly, yet are quite happy to give a historical review.
Old 10th April 2007, 03:17     #271
Anthony.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwally
How ya been, Ben, Daniel, Tom, Anthony? (Hey congrats on getting married Anthony!)
Cheers BW, she's a good lass

Sounds like you've got a pretty full schedule and doing well, good to hear. Bummer about Chops and the redundancy but give him a 'hi' from me, knowing your father he won't sit still for long.

Anyway, all the best. Good to see an old name
Old 10th April 2007, 13:44     #272
?>Superman

Quote:
That's kinda how I felt too Superman, you're assuming things based on pub play when a lot of talent didn't bother with it, and also you've only seen half the game. Re the exclusivity thing, something I don't really get tbh. Yes I'm sure there were those that played only the one thing, but DM, CTF, RA, CA were pretty fair game and some of us started with one (depending on when a person started), some of us crossed back and fourth.

I'm not trying to get up you, I think to make better judgment however you really needed to have played the game properly (competitively). Because no matter how many QW'ers agree with you (it has always been a popular thing to say from day one, even from those who haven't even bothered with pub), unless you played clan you missed a lot.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not too fussed really as it is an old cliché debate. Plus, it's not like we can prove anything now
I've played in plenty a pub and watched plenty a match. TBH playing in the pubs vs the ozzies was when i started to find TF players tough compo...I feel like you're missing the point here mate. Were those "premier" players you talk about the general average joe player? No.

You talk about rax like he wasn't that great, as i recall he was a pretty decent player. I think you're under-estimating him and over-estimating you're fellow TF'ers there...and if we're comparing premier clans/players here i may as well start off with the best in DM(nz & oz at the time) d2d.

To me this isn't an argument or debate really, i think it is just pretty much how things were. It does sound wildly biased(me being a DM player n all) but no matter how much you bend it, i'd say it was just the truth.

In regards to you're first reply to Azmo, i've never mentioned/bitched about grenades or other aspects of TF and neither has he, so i fail to see how that stops making any of our points valid, it is hardly relevant other than personal grievances you've had with fuckwits(i know the kind you're talking about) in the past. I could say the very same thing about some TF'ers i encountered.

It does sound like i was sweeping the whole of TF with one brush, but i can assure you thats not what i'm trying to do, i'm just saying i think it was just generally how the situation was until the later years when TF'ers "caught up".

Oh and the fact Azmodan is always right.

Old 10th April 2007, 17:48     #273
ForKoreaLove

Just scanning over this shit, rax was lpb and everyone was on 56k.

Also, lol@g3. Real players played on SE2 bro.

1v1?!
Old 10th April 2007, 18:23     #274
Bushwally

Thanks for that Oblivious (Chris yeah?). Hope things are good with you
Old 10th April 2007, 18:29     #275
Bushwally

Oh and Daniel, good to hear things are going well. Shall catch ya on Msn sometime soon. Hah, TF2 going to be released soon... (I will believe it when I see it lol). How long have they been saying that for now
Old 13th April 2007, 15:47     #276
Anthony.S

Quote:
stuff
Well I've already answered most of your 'new' points previously, so rather than rearrange existing posts to make a new one I'll just let you sift through what's already there. Otherwise you're more than welcome to make something out of nothing.

Your second to last line covers my initial concerns with what you originally wrote anyway, if you had've said that in the first place I wouldn't have bothered saying anything as you did make a sweeping statement initially. Especially when it was based on pub play.
Old 13th April 2007, 17:40     #277
?>Superman

Woops i meant to say pug's in that last post.

Anyway sweet as
Old 17th April 2007, 00:25     #278
OR10N

I have no idea what suddenly compelled me to look in this thread (urgings from an unseen power perhaps?) but I'm sorta glad I did, because I just noticed Bushwally's post... talk about an uber blast from the past.

Really need a 'reunion' thread of sorts, where people from the distant past drop by and let us know what they're up to these days. After all it's been at least five - possibly up to seven - years since TF was actually played seriously in NZ, and I'd imagine a lot of people have gone to ground since then.

Anyway it got me thinking, maybe I should post an update on what's happening these days with the old TFers I know/still keep in touch with:

Mr. Manson aka Necrolust aka Goldberg - turns 21 next week. Damn we're all getting old and crusty, I remember when he was 11. I think he's applied for an electrical engineering apprenticeship. Still likes his heavy metal music

Yogi Bear (his brother) aka Sgt. Winky - finished his mechanical engineering degree last year. Now on the big job hunt, and racing/tweaking a mean circuit car (Evo) in his spare time.

Hellhound aka vivisect - works for an IT company doing desktop support. As Jo said, he's doing really well for himself.

Bogaan aka Testament - finished his mechanical engineering degree in 2005. Now works in Taupo for Contact Energy at the Wairakei geothermal plant, accepted a permanent position there recently.

Inertia - passed away late last year, was the victim of a home invasion/murder that was all over the papers for a while. Case remains unsolved from what I know

Vortex (the n1a one) aka sekm - haven't actually seen much of him recently, but was still in the middle of completing his BA last I heard. Should really visit him sometime for a catch-up.

As for myself - I finished my BSc in 2003, got to wear a funny hat and received a piece of paper with my name on it, and for almost 3 years I've been working for the ASB support team at Datacom where I train people on how to use their online business banking products, troubleshoot said products, and do a bit of branch/office desktop support on the side. In my spare time I collect 1980s Japanese cars, and as a result I got my 5 minutes of fame earlier this year.

Usually on MSN most nights - [email protected] - be great to catch up with more of you folks, my contact list is honestly devoid of TF people these days. Out of all the people I used to know, only the above still remain.

I heard Corrupt moved back to Australia, but other than that I'm still waiting on news about Fanatic, Loony, Firestorm, Bladestorm and all the other folks from my 2002 "Where are they now?" list...
Old 17th April 2007, 19:43     #279
Azmodan

Hi onion, loony still posts as Shazam
Old 18th April 2007, 00:25     #280
GiBs

Just thought I'd say Hi, this is an interesting read

Of the old school players participating in this thread, how many came from a DM/CTF background? I was playing TDM and then CTF in some competition (Bloodrain 2?? 3??) before TF came along. Preferred TF after that point and didnt play CTF anymore. Still played TDM for awhile though.

Orion: Sad to hear about intertia Firestorm posts on nzgames from time to time (think the last time he posted was about some RTS? possibly a C&C3 thread)

And yeh anyone from the old school TF days my email is [email protected] and as orion said, on MSN most nights.