NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21st February 2023, 15:44     #1
Lightspeed

Radioactive Cyclone Gabrielle

So much is fucked. I don't think there's a lot of appreciation yet of how the country is going to be impacted. We're still in the more immediate misery we can all empathise with, the loss of homes and stability, the volume of people still unaccounted for.

And then there's all that's been wiped out. All the productive land and long term developments completely buggered, buried under silt or just inundated for too long. There's going to be a long chain of consequences.

Even just driving down the road, seeing the massive tree that crushed the fence instead of the house right beside it. Those things have an impact and there will be a lot of that going around.
Old 22nd February 2023, 06:48     #2
StN
I have detailed files

Really feel for the East Coast (and West Aucks too as they are still reeling) - it going to take a long time for the infrastructure to come back - all while the foodbowl is crippled. And then there is the red tape of EQC and Insurance companies.

The mental health impact will be deep and far reaching.

When I heard reports of looting, I remembered 11 years ago.

When I heard of cell tower generators being stolen, I remembered 11 years ago.

When I heard of the facebook page for the missing, I remembered 11 years ago.
Old 22nd February 2023, 07:53     #3
wazza
*flex*

brother is a police sergeant in gisborne, shit's not good. i don't usually watch the evening news but i have for the last week or so, it's almost unbelievable how bad it all is.
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:13     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There will be 50-year-old planning reports unearthed that conclude “don’t ever build houses in that place” and much hand-wringing will ensue, and we’ll remember 11… shit, 12 years ago.
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:19     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’ve seen some insightful commentary online observing that Hawke’s Bay and BOP bridges and infrastructure have been destroyed not by water but rather by forestry-industry waste being carried by the water. I wonder what logging-companies’ liability might be.
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:32     #6
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
There will be 50-year-old planning reports unearthed that conclude “don’t ever build houses in that place” and much hand-wringing will ensue, and we’ll remember 11… shit, 12 years ago.
Fuck I thought getting rid of a cheque book would mean I wouldn't make date cock ups well into February...
Old 4th March 2023, 16:16     #7
Lightspeed

Holy crap

Some crazy before/after satellite images of the cyclone:

https://tilejson.io/g/e05546756c363c...4e4241874/view
Old 5th March 2023, 12:08     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jeez, that's wild.
Old 26th March 2023, 15:17     #9
Lightspeed

An environmental disaster was waiting to happen in Tolaga Bay. No one listened

Quote:
When forestry waste caused widespread devastation in summer cyclones, the Government commissioned an inquiry. But records show experts had been raising the alarm of pending disaster for decades.