Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 18th April 2013, 15:40     #41
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
I'm not seeing the niche you're describing here to be honest.
I've known straight couples to get civil unions, on the basis that they dislike the idea of getting married.

This bill applies to couples that were previously only entitled to have a civil union, and allows them to get married. (correct me if i'm wrong here)

Those that want something that isn't a 'marriage' still exist.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:45     #42
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Lots of promises to never vote national again in places like stuff and kiwiblog comments; guess we'll see an upswing in conservative and NZF votes next year?
Those people can make those threats, but more National MPs voted against than voted for. Besides, it wasn't even National's bill. Sad, really. That's the sort of thinking that got NZF back into parliament last time.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:59     #43
Dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
but more National MPs voted against than voted for. Besides, it wasn't even National's bill.
I think that is exactly why those people they said they will not vote National again
Old 18th April 2013, 16:23     #44
CCS
Stunt Pants

No, Saladin was referring to people who've said they would vote for NZF and Conservative next time. These aren't people who are pissed off that not enough National members voted for the bill, it's the other way around.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:30     #45
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
e.g. if you're gf of 20years is lying in a coma and you don't have the permission to turn off life support because you're not her husband
This is one of those silly myths that gets repeatedly propogated. In such a case, the doctors will talk to the families involved, not to get their "permission" to flick the switch, but simply out of decency and to make the patient's situation understood by everybody involved. Their legal authority to flick the switch comes not from anyone giving permission but common and statutory legal recognition that it is demeaning and a waste of resources to keep people in PVS "alive". The husband, wife, or whoever can refuse all they like but if the doctors take the view that keeping the person plugged in is futile, they can either just turn off the machine or go and seek a High Court declaration to be on the safe side.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:36     #46
Dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
No, Saladin was referring to people who've said they would vote for NZF and Conservative next time. These aren't people who are pissed off that not enough National members voted for the bill, it's the other way around.
Oh yes you're right, more power to the MMP system then
Old 18th April 2013, 17:58     #47
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Besides, it wasn't even National's bill. Sad, really. That's the sort of thinking that got NZF back into parliament last time.
Likely these are the sort of people that didn't look at the numbers, and just saw John Key voting for it.
Old 18th April 2013, 18:07     #48
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
it wasn't even National's bill
clarification: it was a private member's bill from Louisa Wall.
Old 18th April 2013, 18:14     #49
Jodi

Wait, if you flat with your mate for over two years, does that make them your de-facto? With all the legal behind that?
Old 18th April 2013, 18:49     #50
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Likely these are the sort of people that didn't look at the numbers, and just saw John Key voting for it.
Precisely. The same dumb fucks who don't bother looking into what actually happened are the same dumb fucks that resurrect NZF.
Old 18th April 2013, 19:03     #51
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Wait, if you flat with your mate for over two years, does that make them your de-facto? With all the legal behind that?
Only if you share bank accounts and have weekly butt-sex.
Old 18th April 2013, 19:38     #52
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Only if you share bank accounts and have weekly butt-sex.
Bank accounts don't have anything to do with it... I don't share a bank account with my partner (of 8 years) and we're still considered de-facto.

Pixie
Old 18th April 2013, 19:49     #53
CCS
Stunt Pants

So you do have weekly buttsex then? Good man. Who pitches?
Old 18th April 2013, 20:34     #54
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Bank accounts don't have anything to do with it... I don't share a bank account with my partner (of 8 years) and we're still considered de-facto.

Pixie
Ditto.

Big swing factor for 'De-facto relationship' is if others view you as a couple. So yea, if people think you're fags... Probably for the best that you don't live with LS any more, eh CCS?
Old 18th April 2013, 21:20     #55
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Ditto.

Big swing factor for 'De-facto relationship' is if others view you as a couple .
Other people = the government, or government agencies mostly. Funnily enough be constituted as a "de-facto" couple is disadvantageousness when dealing with government agencies mostly - lets them treat you as one single financial entity no matter what the particular arrangements are between the individuals. The missus was most put out by the way we were treated, myself I'm used to being looked down on by government agencies.

Pixie
Old 18th April 2013, 21:29     #56
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Ditto.

Big swing factor for 'De-facto relationship' is if others view you as a couple. So yea, if people think you're fags... Probably for the best that you don't live with LS any more, eh CCS?
Just tell your mom to stop hanging around the front of my house. Crazy bitch.
Old 18th April 2013, 22:40     #57
cEvin
Love In Vein

have we ascertained the legal benefits to marriage yet?
Old 18th April 2013, 22:53     #58
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Will be interesting to see how the final vote is split.
Only changes were National's David Bennett changing to aye, and Labour's Rino Tirikatene switching to no. So yeah, pretty shame for National voters who think marriage equality is an important issue.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/data/8564068/...-How-MPs-voted
Old 18th April 2013, 23:40     #59
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
have we ascertained the legal benefits to marriage yet?
In general, in NZ there aren't really any benefits that you get as a married couple that you won't get as a de facto only (that I know of anyway). However, the issue sometimes is that when you aren't married, you may have difficulty convincing someone that matters (e.g. a judge) that the two of you are/were in a de facto relationship, when it all of a sudden suits someone to deny the true nature of your relationship, e.g. when you have a Property (Relationships) Act dispute.
Old 19th April 2013, 00:20     #60
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
In general, in NZ there aren't really any benefits that you get as a married couple that you won't get as a de facto only (that I know of anyway). However, the issue sometimes is that when you aren't married, you may have difficulty convincing someone that matters (e.g. a judge) that the two of you are/were in a de facto relationship, when it all of a sudden suits someone to deny the true nature of your relationship, e.g. when you have a Property (Relationships) Act dispute.
what about that adoption story louisa wall told during her speech?
Old 19th April 2013, 00:22     #61
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
These things are spiritual, are they not? The things of song and poetry, the essence of human life. The bits of life that are there not because they have to be there or we need them to be there but because we want them to be there.
emotional is not spiritual. hormones/chemicals/upbringing can define both culture and emotions. not everything you can't see has to do with ghosts.
Old 19th April 2013, 00:51     #62
Nich

beautiful. Parliment burst into song

https://soundcloud.com/702abcsydney/...c-gallery#play
Old 19th April 2013, 01:15     #63
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
what about that adoption story louisa wall told during her speech?
IIRC the Adoption Act does say that you can only adopt if you apply jointly with your "spouse", so that's probably one area where not being married clearly disadvantages someone.
Old 19th April 2013, 01:42     #64
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
emotional is not spiritual. hormones/chemicals/upbringing can define both culture and emotions. not everything you can't see has to do with ghosts.
Spiritual does not have to mean ghosts. It can mean experiences beyond definition or that exist only within the subjective.
Old 19th April 2013, 07:55     #65
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

See also, imaginary.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:22     #66
Lightspeed

People definitely find it pretty confusing how the imaginary is part of real life.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:28     #67
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Speaking for everyone AGAIN, huh?
Old 19th April 2013, 11:33     #68
Lightspeed

Nope. I said "people" not "all people". Although actually, that's probably true as well, but not observable.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:35     #69
Lightspeed

Although the love I experience is neither imaginary, nor is it anything that can be quantified. So there's that whole thing too. You can boil yours down to hormones and upbringing. Mine's a bit deeper than that.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:44     #70
CCS
Stunt Pants

Since lolspeed is a massive faget, I guess this law works out quite well for him.
Old 19th April 2013, 13:58     #71
Lightspeed

Haha, it is a bit wrong bringing up love in a discussion involving marriage.
Old 19th April 2013, 14:32     #72
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Oh please, continue. Your comedy routine is amazing!
Old 19th April 2013, 14:42     #73
StN
I have detailed files

^^^Why did I hear that in Samuel L Jackson's voice?
Old 19th April 2013, 14:52     #74
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

^^^ great, now we all do.
Old 19th April 2013, 15:12     #75
Cyberbob

I heard Huell Howser.

"Your comedy routine is amaaaaazing"
Old 19th April 2013, 15:24     #76
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Gilbert Gottfried?
Old 19th April 2013, 15:31     #77
CCS
Stunt Pants

Tom Arnold?
Old 19th April 2013, 15:50     #78
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Hearing a reply in someone else's voice in your head is probably the most annoying thing... in the world!
Old 19th April 2013, 16:04     #79
Lightspeed

I have Tina Turner stuck in my head right now... you're right, it's awful!
Old 19th April 2013, 17:39     #80
aR Que

So, since we're cool with fags now, can fags stop being so faggy? You know, just stop acting like a 8yo girl, i get it, you like boys, great, can we move on now?