NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 3rd September 2011, 16:50     #81
crocos

I'm actually annoyed that it doesn't say who was on the wrong side of the road.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:57     #82
xor

Toyota could use this to good use for advertising the Hilux
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:20     #83
CCS
Stunt Pants

clarkson approves

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Toyota could use this to good use for advertising the Hilux
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:23     #84
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I'm actually annoyed that it doesn't say who was on the wrong side of the road.
80+ year old woman driving one of the cars? Do you really have to ask?
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:55     #85
fixed_truth

Suicide by hilux . . . from the passenger seat?
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:14     #86
Macca@Work

I'm pretty sure Andy Earle was an All Black or ex cantabrian?I used to work with his brother Vince back in the day.
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:56     #87
fixed_truth

Andy Earl the ex AB is 49. The Andy Earl in the article is 40.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:28     #88
StN
I have detailed files

...but who got plastered???
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:15     #89
_Incubus_

4 weeks out from fronting court....I'm saying cowardly suicide that could have easily killed the oncoming driver.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:20     #90
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
4 weeks out from fronting court....I'm saying cowardly suicide that could have easily killed the oncoming driver.
As I've said on here, I am not fan of Hubbard but that's an unfair speculation. They are in their 80s and the wife could easily have had some kind of health problem and nothing in the Hubbards' history suggest that they would do such a thing.
Old 4th September 2011, 00:23     #91
dylan
Huh?

Yeah that would actually be an insanely sociopathic thing to do. I can't see it being real.

But anyway, for someone who hasn't paid much attention to anything that's happened up until now - why do people like this guy?

Didn't he like fuck shitloads of people's lives up and lose their money? Is there more to this I'm not seeing? I can understand people not wanting to go to jail because he's a nice old man but...what were his redeeming factors other than that?
Old 4th September 2011, 00:29     #92
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Didn't he like fuck shitloads of people's lives up and lose their money? Is there more to this I'm not seeing? I can understand people not wanting to go to jail because he's a nice old man but...what were his redeeming factors other than that?
He is extraordinarily generous with his money and in helping those in need. I live in Auckland and have done so for many years and even I know a couple of people who have directly (or had parents/grandparents) who received significant financial help from the Hubbards. And while his ideas of proper corporate governance is ... how do I put this charitably.... rather outdated, he does live very frugally and does not try to make money in order to rub it in everyone's face like the usual Remuera and Herne Bay crowd.
Old 4th September 2011, 00:40     #93
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Didn't he like fuck shitloads of people's lives up and lose their money?
There was a billion dollar government bailout.
Old 4th September 2011, 01:22     #94
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
He is extraordinarily generous with his money and in helping those in need. I live in Auckland and have done so for many years and even I know a couple of people who have directly (or had parents/grandparents) who received significant financial help from the Hubbards.
Yes, but the key point is that it wasn't his money. His generosity and "significant financial help" was using money that other people had given to him on the understanding that he would invest it for them, not give it away. He appears to have been running nothing more complicated than a Ponzi scheme.
Old 4th September 2011, 08:47     #95
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I hope the examination and proving of fraud or otherwise continues. It would be terrible to have a person remembered for anything other than what they actually did.

Like others my money is on this having been a Ponzi scheme. Of course the guy will have been popular with those on the receiving end of the free money; almost everyone would like a person who handed over no-strings-attached money to them.

For my part I support the giving of benefits but only if they come from the government or the private funds of another.
Old 4th September 2011, 08:58     #96
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

So he.... lemme think here.

"Robbed from the rich, and gave to the poor"

Wasn't there some other guy that did this?
Old 4th September 2011, 10:24     #97
ipee

Helen Clarke?
Old 14th September 2011, 15:11     #98
Lightspeed

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...-Hubbard-smash

I like how the article quite pointedly leaves certain things to the readers imagination.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 14th September 2011 at 15:12.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:04     #99
GM

Unsurprisingly this announcement emerged _after_ the election, but at least a few are going to jail for it.

Five facing charges in $1.7b SCF fraud case nzherald
Old 8th December 2011, 13:30     #100
cyc
Objection!

Never be too quick to assume the SFO will succeed in this prosecution. Their record in these big cases aren't that great and the accused will be electing jury trial in Hubbard Territory.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:57     #101
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yes, but the key point is that it wasn't his money. His generosity and "significant financial help" was using money that other people had given to him on the understanding that he would invest it for them, not give it away. He appears to have been running nothing more complicated than a Ponzi scheme.

im waiting for news to break that in fact, he had a huge mansion under the shack he lived in, and a constant stream of coke and whores going in and out.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:03     #102
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
im waiting for news to break that in fact, he had a huge mansion under the shack he lived in, and a constant stream of coke and whores going in and out.
Pretty sure that in that part of the country, the collective term is a "flock"...
Old 14th February 2012, 03:55     #103
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10749145

Suicide by Hilux? "Seniors moment" behind the wheel? Unfortunate accident?
Police have charged the driver of the Hilux:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6409...-Hubbard-crash
Old 14th February 2012, 08:20     #104
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
failblog.org/
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:32     #105
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10749145

Suicide by Hilux? "Seniors moment" behind the wheel? Unfortunate accident?
Police have charged the driver of the Hilux:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6409...-Hubbard-crash
Other driver found guilty of careless driving:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...-driver-guilty