Old 28th May 2013, 08:55     #1
xor

Maori tattoo doesn't cut it at Air NZ

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10886641

Murray, such a crackup.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:32     #2
spigalau

Correct Tattoo, not a Moko.

'What's the difference between moko and tattoo?
'Tattoo' is the English version of the Tahitian word tatu. Tattoo is the tradition of marking the skin with ink and needles, whereas moko is the practice of scarring and marking the skin to reflect the whakapapa (genealogy) of the Māori wearer. Moko can be seen as a cultural affirmation. '

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:39     #3
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

This just in: Companies are not allowed to have policies that might make maori feel butthurt.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:50     #4
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
This just in: Companies are not allowed to have policies that might make maori feel butthurt.
Pretty much.

"a person of Maori descent may not be denied employment, entry to premises, or declined service because they wear moko visibly"

Next up, legally defining "moko"
Old 28th May 2013, 15:13     #5
spigalau

Far from it, they didn't deny her employment, AirNZ offered her a back end role instead of a front line customer facing one.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:05     #6
Lightspeed

Pakehas and their rules.
Old 28th May 2013, 17:03     #7
fixed_truth

I'm sympathetic to Air NZ being allowed a no visible tattoos rule. Though I also think that where possible Maori should be free to participate in their traditional cultural practice without it effecting employment opportunities.
Old 28th May 2013, 17:09     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Seems a bit hypocritical when the company in question uses Maori designs and people bearing Maori tattoos to generate business. "We want to use the darkies to get customers, but we don't want the darkies to actually serve the customers. They might eat them!"
Old 28th May 2013, 19:25     #9
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I laughed
Old 28th May 2013, 20:15     #10
xor

The provider wants to be able to control their image. If you let all Murray jump on board dishing out peanuts and hot towels with full moko's then airnnz wouldn't be flying for long.

p.s Biomag
Old 28th May 2013, 20:34     #11
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Seems like the interviewer was inept to me. A person with a brain would have said this was not an issue, finished the interview, and then fairly assessed the candidate against all relevant criteria.

I have noticed following the interview methodology of my employer that it is often obvious after a few seconds that a candidate isn't going to make it. My approach is to always carry on but in a condensed format. I do this to be both nice and to recognise that an organisation with a thousand roles might have something else that the candidate would be good at even if my role isn't a starter. Being other than nice to people is generally speaking not a good idea.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 28th May 2013 at 20:37.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:38     #12
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Of course there are exceptions - I am occasionally extremely and deliberately not nice but never without a fair and justified purpose that can't be delivered upon by other methods.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:43     #13
Lightspeed

o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Seems like the interviewer was inept to me.
Agreeing with GT. What's that about?
Old 28th May 2013, 20:55     #14
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Seems like the interviewer was inept to me. A person with a brain would have said this was not an issue, finished the interview, and then fairly assessed the candidate against all relevant criteria.

I have noticed following the interview methodology of my employer that it is often obvious after a few seconds that a candidate isn't going to make it. My approach is to always carry on but in a condensed format. I do this to be both nice and to recognise that an organisation with a thousand roles might have something else that the candidate would be good at even if my role isn't a starter. Being other than nice to people is generally speaking not a good idea.
Indeed it was startling that they actually said it would be an issue in the interview. You can not give someone a job for any reason you want, you just can't *tell* them that reason...
Old 28th May 2013, 22:10     #15
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Agreeing with GT. What's that about?
he has a very rational and honest quality.