Old 9th April 2013, 14:09     #1
Lightspeed

Laugh

Iwi looks to charge Mighty River Power
Old 9th April 2013, 14:26     #2
plaz0r

facepalm

Quote:
"They store their water on our lake," says John Bishara, Tuwharetoa Maori Trust chairman.
ARE LAKE.
Old 9th April 2013, 14:35     #3
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz0r
ARE LAKE.
Huh?
Old 9th April 2013, 14:46     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/...tml/page3.html
Old 9th April 2013, 16:29     #5
fixed_truth

Damn, That's a Cold Ass Maori!
Old 9th April 2013, 16:50     #6
CCS
Stunt Pants

No, that's an idiot who thinks he's getting back at the gummint but it's the people buying shares in MRP who will end up paying more. Good one.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:05     #7
fixed_truth

I was meaning his pimpin hair do. I bet he's got on some flash brothel creepers too.

But if Tuwhare has a legal basis to charge then it would probably be a good business decision to do so. If potential investors don't like it, then don't buy shares.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:08     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Tuwharetoa own the physical space where the water will be stored before Mighty River Power makes millions of dollars by using it to generate electricity for sale; yet Mighty River Power seems to expect this storage to be provided to it at no cost. Compensation seems perfectly reasonable.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:11     #9
pxpx

I find myself asking, what would Australia do?
Old 9th April 2013, 17:14     #10
CCS
Stunt Pants

"Tuwharetoa was happy for Mighty River to use the lake free of charge for the public good when it was a state-owned enterprise, but not now it's being sold by the Government."

Thing is, only 49% is being sold to the govt, to the tax payer. Continuing to allow MRP to use the lake free of charge would still benefit the public good. Some Tuwharetoa clever clogs probably think they're really sticking it to the govt, but they won't be able to block the sale - only potentially weaken the value of the company and return less money to the public purse. Good one.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:29     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ngati Tuwharetoa is under no obligation to give a shit about the public purse. The board of the Ngati Tuwharetoa Maori Trust has an obligation to look after its members. Where's the problem?
Old 9th April 2013, 17:57     #12
CCS
Stunt Pants

The point is that they're not getting back at the people they think they're getting back at. And that's all this is about - getting back at someone.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:02     #13
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Seems to me it's about making money.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:05     #14
CCS
Stunt Pants

If it were about making money, they would have done it a long time ago since it would seem they've been entitled to do that since 2007. This is about nothing more than spite and they've made it pretty obvious that the timing is not a coincidence.

I assume you're a member of the Tuwharetoa iwi?
Old 9th April 2013, 18:10     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Not a member of any organisation involved in these discussions.

But I still don't see the problem. Tuwharetoa has been doing something for free for a state-owned enterprise and desires compensation if it is asked to do that thing by a commercial entity. So?
Old 9th April 2013, 18:13     #16
CCS
Stunt Pants

So it's out of spite. I think I've already explained that.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:15     #17
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Spite implies malice - that Tuwharetoa is doing this to cause harm to Mighty River Power. Looks to me that Tuwharetoa is doing this to obtain financial benefit for itself. So it's being either greedy or fiscally prudent depending on which way you look at it.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:25     #18
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
If it were about making money, they would have done it a long time ago since it would seem they've been entitled to do that since 2007. This is about nothing more than spite and they've made it pretty obvious that the timing is not a coincidence.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:26     #19
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Spite implies malice - that Tuwharetoa is doing this to cause harm to Mighty River Power. Looks to me that Tuwharetoa is doing this to obtain financial benefit for itself. So it's being either greedy or fiscally prudent depending on which way you look at it.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:29     #20
fixed_truth

It's not a SOE anymore so they're making their decision based on an entirely different context.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 9th April 2013 at 18:32.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:44     #21
Lightspeed

It could be framed as "we care for our local community and are willing to support it" and with the asset no longer guaranteed to support only the local community (e.g. overseas investors might be getting a cut too, or some locals get major benefit while others are left out), their priorities have changed.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:46     #22
CCS
Stunt Pants

It's majority owned by the government and, soon, individual taxpayers. You know, the same people whom the iwi said they wouldn't charge because it was for the public good. That public being... taxpayers.

Simon is really just being playing games by pretending that it's for any reason other than spite.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:54     #23
Lightspeed

Well, the public is all taxpayers as well as non-taxpayers. Not just those who got the cash for shares.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:08     #24
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I just can't see why anyone in his right mind would give something for free to a company that was going to use it to make money.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:09     #25
A Corpse
talkative lurker

National said "We're gonna sell assets. Don't like it? then don't vote for us." People voted for them. Now those same people are wailing that the govt doesn't listen. The 40% of people opposed to asset sales who voted National anyway are the fucking morons that facepalm me the most.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:19     #26
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Well, the public is all taxpayers as well as non-taxpayers. Not just those who got the cash for shares.
Yeah thanks for pointing out the obvious. When I mentioned the 51% owned by the govt, obviously that covers the public in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I just can't see why anyone in his right mind would give something for free to a company that was going to use it to make money.
Well, the iwi has been doing that since 2007 and I think we've gone over the reason for that several times already.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:26     #27
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I once did some work for a charitable foundation for free. If that organisation contacted me tomorrow and said "hi we are now a for-profit company making money for investors rather than assisting the community, can you do some more stuff for free?" my answer would be "fuck you, pay me."
Old 9th April 2013, 19:33     #28
fixed_truth

^Spiteful bastard
Old 9th April 2013, 20:37     #29
aR Que

l o l. Good way to ensure 'NZ mum and dads' buy the majority of the shares .

This wont hurt mighty river. Their cost of operating will go up, in the order of millions and, as ab would describe as a fiscally prudent move, they'll pass that onto us, the consumers.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:55     #30
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I once did some work for a charitable foundation for free. If that organisation contacted me tomorrow and said "hi we are now a for-profit company making money for investors rather than assisting the community, can you do some more stuff for free?" my answer would be "fuck you, pay me."
What a shitty analogy. SOE = for profit.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:56     #31
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydqjqZ_3oc
Old 9th April 2013, 22:02     #32
chubby

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
i do love you a bit.
Old 9th April 2013, 22:07     #33
chubby

muh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
National said "We're gonna sell assets. Don't like it? then don't vote for us."
and that is fucking bullshit.
they didnt have their hand on their nuts there...
it was all like...'next term...see how it goes....'shuffle,slide....
Old 9th April 2013, 23:23     #34
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What a shitty analogy. SOE = for profit.
Whose profit exactly?
Old 9th April 2013, 23:40     #35
CCS
Stunt Pants

The shareholder.
Old 9th April 2013, 23:58     #36
chubby

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
The shareholder.
and yt again...
channeling beavis and butthead.

'what do you like?
cool stuff..
and whats cool stuff?
stuff we like.'
Old 10th April 2013, 08:42     #37
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

The iwi should be charging if they have an angle that lets them do so. It's not inevitable they do have an angle that will actually work though.
Old 10th April 2013, 16:37     #38
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
and yt again...
channeling beavis and butthead.

'what do you like?
cool stuff..
and whats cool stuff?
stuff we like.'
Am I wrong? Does the shareholder not get a chunk of the profit?
Old 10th April 2013, 17:19     #39
chubby

^^are you confessing to being unable to distinguish between corporate and social drivers in business?
Old 10th April 2013, 17:40     #40
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
i do love you a bit.
I feel dirty.