Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
DEAR NATIONAL, PLEASE SHOOT YOUR ADVERTISING PEOPLE, KTHXBYE
No, they should keep them as everyone is having so much fun with them

Old 5th September 2008, 23:16     #46
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

It will be good when ipredict.co.nz is open to the public.

Evil labour are currently going for 28 cents a share, and National for 69 cents a share; paying $1 for the win. A bit of arbitrage opportunity there at the moment I suppose.
Old 6th September 2008, 01:28     #47
doppelgänger of someone

The main problem I have with the Greens is that some of them are Luddites in disguise. Dihydrogen oxide is not a pollutant, you fruits.

I know I'm not voting Labour or NZF (i'm not ruling out Greens at this point), but I will do more policy and leadership research before deciding my vote.
Old 6th September 2008, 01:31     #48
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnel web
Labour Policy for 2008.... err 2005 http://labour.org.nz/policy.html
You're looking in the wrong place for Labours 2008 policy - try the 2008 budget instead. Although I do wish they would update the web page the reality is that they haven't changed direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Yeah youre not wrong. Sadly. We have already started off loading crap and looking at schools, locations etc.
http://www.thestandard.org.nz/?p=2934#comment-85164
Quote:
Originally Posted by comment
Friends just moved back because they couldn’t afford to live over there any more…despite the higher wages they were earning they will be better off over here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
It will be good when ipredict.co.nz is open to the public.

Evil labour are currently going for 28 cents a share, and National for 69 cents a share; paying $1 for the win. A bit of arbitrage opportunity there at the moment I suppose.
Political Stock Market has National @ $40 and labour @ $37.2
Old 6th September 2008, 01:32     #49
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnel web
National Policy for 2008 http://www.national.org.nz/PolicyAreas.aspx

Labour Policy for 2008.... err 2005 http://labour.org.nz/policy.html
But... but... NATIONAL is the party that hasn't announced its election policies! The Standard wouldn't lie to me...
Old 6th September 2008, 08:38     #50
funnel web

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
You're looking in the wrong place for Labours 2008 policy - try the 2008 budget instead. Although I do wish they would update the web page the reality is that they haven't changed direction.
Right, so basically it's just the same shit? No thanks.
Old 6th September 2008, 13:59     #51
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
You're looking in the wrong place for Labours 2008 policy - try the 2008 budget instead.
So in other words, it's 8 weeks from the election and Labour has helpfully put its election policies up for examination by the public by putting them on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard"?

Now that's honest transparent government for you. "Want to know our policies? Download the 2008 Budget and start reading, citizen! It's only 1000 pages..."
Old 6th September 2008, 14:33     #52
doppelgänger of someone

Am I the only one who appreciated some aesthetic value from National's billboards? The text messages are atrocious, but the graphics design is good. The planes and crosses are simple and easily identifiable with issues, with the classic National blue motif.
Old 6th September 2008, 14:40     #53
TD
Anas Latrina

Quote:
Political Stock Market has National @ $40 and labour @ $37.2
Do people wage actual money? Any prediction website that doesn't is pointless as you will just getting visitors buying for who they want to win.

www.intrade.com has a New Zealand politics section but it doesn't look used.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:54     #54
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So in other words, it's 8 weeks from the election and Labour has helpfully put its election policies up for examination by the public by putting them on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard"?

Now that's honest transparent government for you. "Want to know our policies? Download the 2008 Budget and start reading, citizen! It's only 1000 pages..."

...or you could read up on Labour's 2008 budget policy on the Labour party's 2008 budget webpage instead

Last edited by Sp0nge : 6th September 2008 at 15:57.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:59     #55
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Am I the only one who appreciated some aesthetic value from National's billboards? The text messages are atrocious, but the graphics design is good. The planes and crosses are simple and easily identifiable with issues, with the classic National blue motif.
I think so too, they have a 'fresh' feel, which is what you want when people are tired of the old incumbent government.
Old 6th September 2008, 16:45     #56
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Do people wage actual money?
Cold hard cash; of the type that folds and can buy stuff from anywhere.

Also, predicition markets work when there's not real money at stake; but a moot point here since we are talking real money.

[edit] oppps, wrong site.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 6th September 2008 at 16:47.
Old 6th September 2008, 16:55     #57
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

The interesting thing about prediction markets is just how well they do work.

They are quite commonly used internally by corporates. Often play money has to be used to avoid the local equivalent of securities commission approval. Supply of play money has to be restricted (obviously). Under this paradigm prizes are given for those who do best.

If some Labour lunatics want to put some hard cash where their mouths are then they can head over to www.intrade.com and get the market going.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:13     #58
Sp0nge

i guess if people want to bet on the nz elections, theyre most likely to do it via an aussie site such as centrebet.com or sportingbet.com.au.

but even in a gambling nation such as NZ, i think 99.9% of people would rather gamble on something a bit more fun....eg OZ vs AB
Old 6th September 2008, 21:51     #59
Haydos

In my view, National have a major advantage running into this election.

Take Brash. He was very much an underdog when he took power, they were polling so poorly it wasn't funny and in most polls (in my memory) in the year leading up to the election, he was behind Labour and had to close the gap through speeches like Orewa.

This time, they're front running and they've done it without releasing too much policy to the public. If Key can handle his idiotic fucking seniors like Bill English from running their mouth about secret intentions, then he's a shoe in.

Why? The only real complaint people have is that they haven't released policy. Yet without releasing policy, they're still leading by 6.5%. They can now offer boons to the public through creative policy while Labour are having to throw all their policy boons and law reforms out now to try and catch back up in the polls.

When the election date is set, look for Key to be inspired and proactive. Look for Helen to be shop worn and reactive. I just hope the public at large realises another 4 years of Helen would cause major issues with those who are hanging around to see the results of this election before deciding whether or not to commit to NZ.
Old 6th September 2008, 22:59     #60
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
This time, they're front running and they've done it without releasing too much policy to the public. If Key can handle his idiotic fucking seniors like Bill English from running their mouth about secret intentions, then he's a shoe in.
Key needs to stop acting like he HAS secret intentions. He needs to start giving straight answers to questions like that about Ashcroft's meetings. It's like his first instinct is to be evasive even when there's nothing to be evasive about. Start acting like a fucking leader instead of someone who's desperate not to give a bad impression.
Old 6th September 2008, 23:08     #61
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Key needs to stop acting like he HAS secret intentions. He needs to start giving straight answers to questions like that about Ashcroft's meetings. It's like his first instinct is to be evasive even when there's nothing to be evasive about. Start acting like a fucking leader instead of someone who's desperate not to give a bad impression.
This message is endorsed by Haydos.
Old 7th September 2008, 01:43     #62
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It's so ridiculous that National insiders are leaking policy to the arch enemy just to get policy out into the public!

Well National lost my vote when they decided they wanted to borrow and put the country into more debt, also when they decided to sell Kiwibank and to charge $50 a week in road tolls. lol
Old 7th September 2008, 09:15     #63
funnel web

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
It's so ridiculous that National insiders are leaking policy to the arch enemy just to get policy out into the public!

Well National lost my vote when they decided they wanted to borrow and put the country into more debt, also when they decided to sell Kiwibank and to charge $50 a week in road tolls. lol
Borrowing is the totally routine and normal way to fund some capital expenditure. That spreads the cost of the expenditure over the lifetime of the asset so that all those who benefit from it fund it, rather than just those in the year it is built. It’s the whole reason it is capital, not operating, expenditure.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:32     #64
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
Well National lost my vote when....
Honesty a problem for you? Education is, it shows from what you've written.

Should everyone help pay for an asset they will use? Tick - that is what National is saying.

Should people who cause duplicate, and / or new motorways to need to be built have to pay a little bit more to use them than everyone else? Tick - that is what National is saying.

Should the governement run a chain of DVD Rental shops? Of course not. Yet, if "DVD Rental" is swapped for "Money" then some people change their answer. Why? Well, there's no reason supported by cognitive function. Apprently food is getting expensive, and so next you'll be suggesting that the Governement nationalise foodtown?
Old 7th September 2008, 11:05     #65
ipee

Quote:
Education is, it shows from what you've written.
Quote:
Apprently...
Old 7th September 2008, 11:12     #66
Jonas Undrawing

also
Quote:
Should people who cause duplicate, and / or new motorways to need to be built have to pay a little bit more to use them than everyone else? Tick - that is what National is saying.
That is a dog's breakfast. I recommend rewriting that post.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:33     #67
FaTBoB

Quote:
Honesty a problem for you? Education is, it shows from what you've written.

Should everyone help pay for an asset they will use? Tick - that is what National is saying.

Correction: National are saying they will help out their corporate daddies by ensure new roads are build and funded by borrowing(government garrantied), then hand over revenue collection to private interests to payback the borrowing, PPP=private profit, people pay.

This is why they were apposed to Labour buying back rail, because national doesn't want efficent public owned transport, they want to continue to build infrastructure that limits consumer choice,

People will use public transport when it is reliable and the infrastructure is in place to support it, but National want to address conjestion with new roads administrated by private interests,
Old 7th September 2008, 11:34     #68
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Exclamation

Fuck's sake. Let me sum it up.

Rich people will vote National. They will say it's because National is better for the country, but it is because National is better for their own personal finances.

Poor people will vote Labour. They will say it's because Labour is better for the country, but it is because Labour is better for their own personal finances.

The election will be determined purely on how many people the political parties confuse from the "other side".
Old 7th September 2008, 11:47     #69
funnel web

If you're waiting for a government (any government) to pull you out of poverty then I have some news for you and it's all bad.
Old 7th September 2008, 14:57     #70
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Poor people will vote Labour
I'd say it's more like 'people who give a shit about poor people' vote Labour. (or other lefter parties)
Old 7th September 2008, 15:06     #71
Helious

Question

I'm not registered to vote and I don't ever plan on registering.

Who else is in the same boat?
(I know at least 10 people, most of them older than I)
Old 7th September 2008, 15:22     #72
Asriel

Why won't you vote? Also, isn't it illegal to not be registered to vote?
Old 7th September 2008, 17:32     #73
BathTub

Yes you are required to be on the roll. You don't have to vote.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 7th September 2008, 18:26     #74
CCS
Stunt Pants

Gonna nark on Helious
Old 7th September 2008, 19:23     #75
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I'd say it's more like 'people who give a shit about poor people' vote Labour. (or other lefter parties)
Or you could just join the church and be tithed or how about just give all your money away to the red cross. I mean if you're successful there's absolutely no reason you should have any clue how to spend your money. It's probably better if you let someone a lot less qualified handle it.
Old 7th September 2008, 22:06     #76
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Or you could just join the church and be tithed or how about just give all your money away to the red cross. I mean if you're successful there's absolutely no reason you should have any clue how to spend your money. It's probably better if you let someone a lot less qualified handle it.
lol - What makes you think that these people who don't give a shit about those worse off then themselves would be more "qualified" at making sure that this vulnerable sector of society is adequately invested in?

I would rather not leave welfare in the hands of those people who's survival instinct is so misguided to the point of indulgence, that they would pretend not to see people struggling - all for a tax break.

When it comes to the majority of welfare, I believe it is best left to the state.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:48     #77
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I saw rows of headstones at a military cemetery.
Duh, it's the headstones of all the Bureaucrats they're going to cull
Old 8th September 2008, 11:49     #78
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Dihydrogen oxide is not a pollutant, you fruits.
National fell for the Dihyrodgen monoxide thing as well you know :P
Old 8th September 2008, 13:32     #79
Juju
get to da choppa

Can someone explain to me why Nationals lifetime policy of selling SOE's is so?
What advantage does it give the country by selling them apart from a cash injection at the time of sale?
I've always been a Nat supported, but when everyone bitches to me about why I would support a party that sells state assets at every opportunity, I don't have much to say because I don't really know what the (supposed) advantages are?
Old 8th September 2008, 13:37     #80
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

haha, National are a bunch of jokers and are proving it with this election runup. I'm not that impressed with Labour but they'll still get my electorate vote over National. Party vote for Greens.