NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Did you respond to the asset-sales referendum?
Yes - responded YES 10 21.28%
Yes - responded NO 19 40.43%
No - did not respond 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th December 2013, 15:08     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Asset-sales referendum

How responded you, savages?

Quote:
Do you support the Government selling up to 49% of Meridian Energy, Mighty River Power, Genesis Power, Solid Energy, and Air New Zealand?
Old 15th December 2013, 15:50     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yes.

Make a poll, you cunt.
Old 15th December 2013, 16:07     #3
CCS
Stunt Pants

Code:
Citizens Initiated Referendum 2013 Preliminary Result Yes 432,950 No 895,322 Total Valid Votes 1,332,340 Total number 3,037,405 of voters enrolled as at 21 November 2013
Code:
General Election 2011 National Party 1,058,636 Labour Party 614,937 Green Party 247,372
Old 15th December 2013, 19:12     #4
fixed_truth

You missed yes - did not respond.
Old 15th December 2013, 19:28     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

?
Old 15th December 2013, 19:32     #6
fixed_truth

Lol never mind. Sunday session.
Old 16th December 2013, 08:43     #7
StN
I have detailed files

I don't think I got the papers - but Whaleoils story about the Postie union asking members to not deliver them, but to collect them for the union to complete in the negative and return sounds a little bit tinfoil hatty...
Old 16th December 2013, 08:54     #8
leadinjector

dont recall recieving any. but who gives a fuck right? obviously not most NZers...
Old 16th December 2013, 13:32     #9
Juju
get to da choppa

Come election time the economy is forecast to be booming. That'll be National's trump card.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:12     #10
pxpx

Can't wait for dem sweet, sweet tax cuts.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:17     #11
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Come election time the economy is forecast to be booming. That'll be National's trump card.
I know labour folks will say they had no hand in it, and natty people will claim great success.

What say you, horse?
Old 16th December 2013, 14:59     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well the referendum looks to have been exactly what it was - a political advertisement for the Greens and Labour, paid for by the taxpayer.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:48     #13
IoriDyson

The concept of asset sales just makes no sense to me, selling profit earning assets for a short term return (which turns out is a lot less then they were forecasting, ie air new zealand's sale) vs the constant returns... What am i missing here?
Old 16th December 2013, 17:20     #14
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well the referendum looks to have been exactly what it was - a political advertisement for the Greens and Labour, paid for by the taxpayer.
Which is all a non-binding citizen initiated referendum can really be.
Old 16th December 2013, 17:41     #15
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
The concept of asset sales just makes no sense to me, selling profit earning assets for a short term return (which turns out is a lot less then they were forecasting, ie air new zealand's sale) vs the constant returns... What am i missing here?
wasnt the general idea that the interest of the money generated from the sale would be higher than the income from keeping the shares?
Old 16th December 2013, 17:49     #16
Lightspeed

I don't think anyone would pay more for shares than the return they'd expect from them.

I think the idea was paying our debts or some business? Or maybe just a general principal of the gubberment not owning stuff, cause it should be private folk getting rich, not the public.
Old 16th December 2013, 19:28     #17
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Not even that. I would simply class it a colossal waste of time and money.

Non-binding referendums should be aborted.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:14     #18
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
Non-binding referendums should be aborted.
I'd rather find a way to make it binding.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:14     #19
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
I guess you're missing quite a few bits of the puzzle. Three of them are:
1. You're not selling for a short-term gain; the idea is to sell the assets for their long-term value.
2. There's a cost of holding these assets and that's the opportunity-cost of what could otherwise be done with the money; does it really make sense to own an airline instead of a hospital?
3. Government run entities rarely live up to their free-market potential; how can you justify running these businesses in a sub-optimal way?
Old 16th December 2013, 21:17     #20
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
I'd rather not have dumb people vote at all; both of our wishes will never be fulfilled.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:36     #21
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I'd rather not have dumb people vote at all; both of our wishes will never be fulfilled.
Awww, diddums
Old 17th December 2013, 14:33     #22
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour's Mike Williams on the radio this morning (fwd to 19:10):

Quote:
What Labour and the Greens have got out of this - which I would see as incredibly valuable, running an election campaign next year - is 350,000 email addresses. And that could be VERY valuable in a campaign.
There have you have it kids - the point of the referendum. Trawling for email addresses to spam for donations in election year.
Old 17th December 2013, 15:19     #23
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Presumably you're cool with what the results of other CIRs would have forced the govt of the day to do, had they been binding?
Old 17th December 2013, 16:16     #24
IoriDyson

updated results via NZ Gazette

No: 920,188
Yes:442,985

Highest turn out: Otaki at 54.9%
Lowest turn out: Mangere & Manurewa at 30.7%

fun facts lol

Last edited by IoriDyson : 17th December 2013 at 16:19.
Old 17th December 2013, 16:55     #25
plaz0r

It would be interesting to see how different the result would have been if the outcome HAD been binding.

Given the statements from the government prior to the referendum, nobody who supported the asset sales had any real reason to vote at all. And yet, 32% of the returns were still in favour.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:22     #26
Deadmeat

By the same token, nobody who opposed it had any real reason to respond either.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:40     #27
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Exactly. A 9 million dollar exercise in sweet fuck all designed to get Labour and the Greens a marketing database.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:44     #28
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wouldn't be the first time LabGreen have pillaged a petition for a marketing database.
Old 17th December 2013, 18:03     #29
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Criticism of the government was the lowest in the history of citizen-initiated referenda.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opi...ne-issue-polls
Old 17th December 2013, 18:04     #30
IoriDyson

I think its sad that no matter the response the government flat out refuses to even take it into account, after all its the people they are supposed to be representing. This third public showing of complete disregard for public opinion (gcsb + off shore drilling) may have repercussions for Nationals next election result. Or not...

Gah, both National and Labour are really poor representatives in the end. Voting for the lesser of 2 evils is always a drag as its gonna be a bit shit regardless of who wins.

Hey Ab, tone it down mate.

Last edited by IoriDyson : 17th December 2013 at 18:05.
Old 17th December 2013, 18:17     #31
leadinjector

Quote:
I think its sad that no matter the response the government flat out refuses to even take it into account, after all its the people they are supposed to be representing. This third public showing of complete disregard for public opinion (gcsb + off shore drilling) may have repercussions for Nationals next election result. Or not...

Gah, both National and Labour are really poor representatives in the end. Voting for the lesser of 2 evils is always a drag as its gonna be a bit shit regardless of who wins.

Hey Ab, tone it down mate.
the way i would look at it, and the way the govt seems to be looking at it, is like this-

1. the only people who are going to vote in this are people who really care.
2. 40% of people care.
3. of those people who really care, 70% of them are against it
4. so thats like.... 30% of people who are opposed enough about this issue to bother posting a letter.
5. my math is very rough.

Of course they are dismissing it. its a fail. i was surprised as fuck that it got any people who dont oppose it to vote even, i was expecting such a self selecting poll to be like 90% against it. i was not surprised at the low turnout.
Old 17th December 2013, 18:22     #32
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I think its sad that no matter the response the government flat out refuses to even take it into account, after all its the people they are supposed to be representing.
To take it into account would be to subvert the electoral process. There's only one time when you get personal input into Government policy and that's at an election. If the National Government were to change its asset-sales position now, in the middle of a term, that would be tantamount to saying "we lied before the election". Right now National is doing what it said before the election that it would do if it were elected. It can't start doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what it said it would do if it were elected.
Old 17th December 2013, 18:53     #33
blynk

John Key played it smart.
Saying that they won't listen to the results because "only people opposed" with vote, and blubbering on about the $9m cost.
So basically people didn't both and started complaining about the cost, rather than going out to vote.

But WTF is $9m a waste of money? How many millions was paid to Analysts and marketers and whatever the fuck other costs that were paid to sell these. That $9m was probably just a drop in the bucket.

I would love to see where all this money is now going. No wonder their books look great. And the likely hood is that once the money from these 1 off sales are gone, Labour will be in power and National will complain about how bad the books look.
Fuck You National.

To me Helen Clarke was there cause she wanted to be there and it just seems John Key just wants to be there to say he was.
Old 17th December 2013, 19:06     #34
BoyWonder

I wonder how much it rustles Helen's jimmies that after all this time some people still think her surname is Clarke.
Old 18th December 2013, 09:29     #35
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
John Key played it smart.
Saying that they won't listen to the results because "only people opposed" with vote, and blubbering on about the $9m cost.
So basically people didn't both and started complaining about the cost, rather than going out to vote.

But WTF is $9m a waste of money? How many millions was paid to Analysts and marketers and whatever the fuck other costs that were paid to sell these. That $9m was probably just a drop in the bucket.

I would love to see where all this money is now going. No wonder their books look great. And the likely hood is that once the money from these 1 off sales are gone, Labour will be in power and National will complain about how bad the books look.
Fuck You National.

To me Helen Clarke was there cause she wanted to be there and it just seems John Key just wants to be there to say he was.
You sound mad
Old 18th December 2013, 15:44     #36
blynk

I R Mad
Old 21st August 2014, 16:37     #37
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
no comment.