Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 15th September 2010, 16:36     #41
cyc
Objection!

Talking

I'd love to see this guy utterly humiliated and, frankly, hounded out of parliament for his complete and utter hypocrisy, especially given that he's consistently advocated positions that are utterly without mercy and consideration for the rights of offenders.

Enjoy the reaming, David Garret. You've had it coming.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:04     #42
fixed_truth

He made a silly mistake 26yrs ago, it's been dealt with by the courts so imo the offense is a non-issue.

However, the fact that Garret has shown to be the type of person who is far from sympathetic to others in similar positions is LOL.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:15     #43
chubby

Laugh

nice work.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:17     #44
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
He made a silly mistake 26yrs ago, it's been dealt with by the courts so imo the offense is a non-issue.
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I'd love to see this guy utterly humiliated and, frankly, hounded out of parliament for his complete and utter hypocrisy
this too
Old 15th September 2010, 18:43     #45
Cynos

Quote:
Lol, silly mistake eh? You realise what kind of emotional impact this sort of offending can have on grieving parents? Their kid dies, and some twat steals his identity because he read too many spy novels.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:03     #46
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
Lol, silly mistake eh? You realise what kind of emotional impact this sort of offending can have on grieving parents? Their kid dies, and some twat steals his identity because he read too many spy novels.
Yep, a lot of silly mistakes can cause people pain.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:30     #47
cyc
Objection!

Quote:

However, the fact that Garret has shown to be the type of person who is far from sympathetic to others in similar positions is LOL.
Non-issue? Sorry, not for me. I expect parliamentarians to have a clean rap sheet. People really need to understand that there are individuals in society who don't have criminal records and I have no issue with certain positions of responsibility being reserved for this class of persons.

Regardless, we can all agree on this: enjoy the fucking reaming, David. You're so fucked.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:39     #48
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

So the perkbuster absuing perks, crimbuster actually a crim - what's next? Roger Douglas is secretely poor?
Old 15th September 2010, 19:54     #49
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Non-issue? Sorry, not for me. I expect parliamentarians to have a clean rap sheet. People really need to understand that there are individuals in society who don't have criminal records and I have no issue with certain positions of responsibility being reserved for this class of persons.
I know he has a Tongan assault charge, but would this discharge without conviction even be on his criminal record?
Old 15th September 2010, 20:02     #50
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
I know he has a Tongan assault charge, but would this discharge without conviction even be on his criminal record?
Discharge without convictions are not recorded as convictions but it's still on the computer. At the end of the day, he's not a person of exemplary character. I love his lame excuse for not revealing his Tongan conviction too: "Because I'm innocent of that charge!". Dear David, we don't care what you think.
Old 15th September 2010, 20:15     #51
BoyWonder

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
So the perkbuster absuing perks, crimbuster actually a crim - what's next? Roger Douglas is secretely poor?
lol
Old 15th September 2010, 20:30     #52
madmaxii

Soooooooo - we want politicians whiter than white (metaphorically speaking), that have never, ever, made mistakes, to represent most of the rest of us who have.

We then complain that our politicians are not representative of the people.

Where next
Old 15th September 2010, 20:38     #53
Fx.

i have no criminal record and dont think i'd ever consider identity theft to the level of getting a passport to be a prank.

that said i also hate politics and think 90% of MPs are a waste of air.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:32     #54
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
We then complain that our politicians are not representative of the people.
Someone who believes a plan involving the phrase "steal the identity of a dead baby" and calls it a prank is representative of who exactly? Sure the rubbish about the assault thing was all a bit LOL, but I don't think it's asking that much for MPs to have not committed identity theft.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:04     #55
MrTTTT

these LOLS are ROFLMAO
Old 16th September 2010, 01:02     #56
adonis

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
OK yeah fine, I gave them my party vote at the last election.

Look, I'm sorry, OK? I'm sorry.

Fuck, we all make mistakes! Jesus! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?
'cause it should be on page 2 as well.
Old 16th September 2010, 01:31     #57
doppelgänger of someone

The only right thing Garrett is left to do in parliament is to advocate tougher sentencing for identity theft. I don't expect him to do it any time soon though.
Old 16th September 2010, 03:52     #58
cyc
Objection!

Very angry THE HYPOCRISY NEVER ENDS

Quote:
Mr Hide, who is in Hong Kong, was interviewed tonight on TV One's CloseUp programme and asked whether he considered stealing a dead baby's identity to get a false passport was a harmless prank.

"No. It's horrific. It's horrific for the country because of issues of citizenship and security and it's horrific for the family and the mother who was affected," he said.

Mr Hide said Mr Garrett told him about it before he entered Parliament, and had said he didn't believe he could become an MP.

"I said 'look, you've turned your life around'...I hadn't met anyone who was more passionate and knew more about what we should do to get tough on crime," Mr Hide said.
So apparently Rodney doesn't see the absolute and utter hypocrisy of someone who got a second chance and didn't hesitate to beg for mercy from the courts when it suited him, you know, doing his level best to deny other offeders second chances. What wonderful men you two are, Rodney and Dave! Why don't you two get a room together and get someone to pump exhaust gas into it with the windows shut?

Last edited by cyc : 16th September 2010 at 03:54.
Old 16th September 2010, 04:07     #59
CCS
Stunt Pants

With the 3 strikes law, aren't you getting a second and a third chance?
Old 16th September 2010, 06:37     #60
chubby

^^ these same douchbags have also opposed 'clean slate' legislation.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:08     #61
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

stuff's ripping into him

Quote:
IN GARRETT'S OWN WORDS

"If you target offenders at the lower end, you stop them from descending down the road to more serious crimes."

– Speech to Sensible Sentencing Trust, August 25.

"In the age of the internet, suppressing names can seem pointless to the point of [being] farcical."

– Blog post on June 16.

"Criminals are not stupid. They may not have university degrees or even have finished high school, but they know about cause and effect as it affects them."

– Speech to Parliament, May 25.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:36     #62
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

1. Apparently Garrett just quit. Good riddance.

2. Apparently Hide is flying back from some Hong Kong holiday to deal with the fallout. Which makes me ask of Rodney... WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING ON HOLIDAY! YOU'RE THE MINISTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT! CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE! RING ANY BELLS? THE HOUSE IS SITTING! WHAT THE FUCK! I VOTED FOR YOUR PARTY YOU FUCK!
Old 17th September 2010, 13:45     #63
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

2. Apparently Hide is flying back from some Hong Kong holiday to deal with the fallout. Which makes me ask of Rodney... WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING ON HOLIDAY!
And did he take his missus for this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
YOU'RE THE MINISTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT! CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE! RING ANY BELLS? THE HOUSE IS SITTING! WHAT THE FUCK! I VOTED FOR YOUR PARTY YOU FUCK!
Oh man, I genuinely do feel sorry for you. You vote for these guys based on their principles and they all turn into massive hypocrites. Being an ACT voter now must nearly be as bad as being a Christian Heritage Party voter right when Capill got done.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:46     #64
MrTTTT

you voted for ACT... haha!
Old 17th September 2010, 14:01     #65
Lightspeed

Cheesy grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

2. Apparently Hide is flying back from some Hong Kong holiday to deal with the fallout. Which makes me ask of Rodney... WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING ON HOLIDAY! YOU'RE THE MINISTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT! CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE! RING ANY BELLS? THE HOUSE IS SITTING! WHAT THE FUCK! I VOTED FOR YOUR PARTY YOU FUCK!
Hahahahaha, this all makes me very happy.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:03     #66
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
He's resigned from the party, hasn't yet made the decision whether to stay on in parliament though.

As I/S points out, signs are good for him to stay, as the next few MPs on the ACT list hate his buddy Hide.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:36     #67
TheBender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
He's resigned from the party, hasn't yet made the decision whether to stay on in parliament though.

As I/S points out, signs are good for him to stay, as the next few MPs on the ACT list hate his buddy Hide.
I know I should know this, bit I seem to recall that if you were a list MP, and got the arse from the party (or quit), then you left parliament as well.

Thought it was only electorate MP's that could stay on as they were elected to represent the seat they won.

Ah, fuck it - I voted ACT too !!!

(there I said it !)
Old 17th September 2010, 23:44     #68
fidgit
Always itchy

TheBender: pretty sure you can stay in, and that people have done exactly this. Which is clearly bullshit, but, there you go.

(I believe one of the Maori Party MPs did this? curse my poor mental recall ability...)
Old 24th September 2010, 16:31     #69
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ne-ACT-MP-says

I'm confused, is there anything wrong with owning a brothel? Would have thought that it would be perfectly fine under ACT's libertarian ideals. The invisible hand of the market hasn't struck the place down after all!
Old 29th September 2010, 00:25     #70
Lightspeed

I just wanted to point out it was no real secret who voted for whom, if this poll is anything to go by:

http://www.nzgames.com/forums/poll.p...ults&pollid=60

Everyone's secret shame is revealed.
Old 28th October 2010, 01:55     #71
Lightspeed

Wacked

ACT President steps down cause he's feeling tired.

Tired?!
Old 28th October 2010, 12:42     #72
fixed_truth

Hmmm, I wonder what he's tired of
Old 28th October 2010, 13:41     #73
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 5th November 2010, 11:56     #74
cyc
Objection!

Can you feel the reaming coming, Garrett?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10685452

Good luck, Davey. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:42     #75
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab