Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 30th June 2010, 18:01     #1
CCS
Stunt Pants

Auckland Super Mayor Candidacy thread

The super mayor elections are in a few months time September/November, so it's probably about time we had a thread for it. What better place than here in Open Discussion? *cough*

Here are the people who have so far announced their intention to run for mayor of Super Auckland:

John Banks
http://www.johnbanks.co.nz/

Len Brown
http://www.lenbrownformayor.co.nz/

Colin Craig
http://votecolincraig.co.nz/

Simon Prast
[no web site] He'd better get a bloody move on.

Also in the running, according to the newspapers, are Penny Bright and Ewen Gilmour but I can't find any sort of official announcement or indication that they are serious about running.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:05     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

To get the ball rolling, I'll start with this.

I don't really know much about Colin Craig except that he runs the body corporate for the apartments where I live and he was behind that nutty March for Democracy last year. I saw an ad for him in the newspaper which gave rise to a few questions. So I had a gander of his web site and put the questions to him directly. Here is the response I received today.

- You say you will give 50% of your mayoral salary to the ratepayer - why 50%?

My starting point here is to recognise that the appointment of Mayor would be an honour and part of my contribution toward “keeping it lean” is to give back some of my salary- a different approach from Mr Banks and Mr Brown who have spent over and above their existing mayoral salaries on additional items (lunches, personal items etc.) Because I am giving up my other jobs to take on the mayoral role and still have a family to feed and bills to pay I have decided to keep part of the salary (50%).

- You said you'll minimise rates - how? Every Auckland mayor says they will minimise rates (or minimise increases in rates). How will you do it?

To minimise rates requires keeping costs down so it’s about cutting low quality or unnecessary expenditure. As an example the councils (some more than others) spend a lot of money on consultants much of which is not necessary to deliver front line services. I am a qualified accountant and currently manage about 180 budgets relating to major property complexes around Auckland. I consider myself fairly skilled at cutting out the unnecessary costs. To be realistic Auckland is facing major costs (transition to super city, infrastructure upgrades, and leaky homes) so it’s about saving dollars wherever possible.

- You also say that you'll "empower local boards to make local decisions, including rates..." Does this conflict with your pledge to minimise rates if local boards recommend a higher rate increase than you think necessary?

I don’t think so. My goal is that council will provide core services efficiently. If local boards wish to spend extra money locally they will be free to do so in most cases. As an example, the local board might want free pools and so vote to increase rates to subsidize the local pool cost. It goes without saying the appointment of the local board members is going to be meaningful under my mayoralty due to this approach. Note that if a local board did something really silly, the central council can hold the expenditure so it’s not like giving them a blank cheque. I would expect to see evidence from the local board showing community support for proposed additional charges.

- Last year you 'organised the March for Democracy to highlight the continual failure of the government to be directed by Citizens Initiated Referenda.' You have said in today's advertisement that you would, as super mayor "hold referendums on major issues". Will local government be directed by these referendums?

Yes I support holding referendum on major issues and would consider myself bound by the outcome. Leaders are not above the voters who elect them in my view.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:33     #3
fixed_truth

Question

I can't vote in them but . . .

How does decision making work ie how much final say over matters does the Mayor get? Will it make any difference who's top tog? Wanks or Clown (tm)
Old 1st July 2010, 08:17     #4
Jodi

How much power does the mayor actually have? I would have thought it was the ability to control the board / councilors was the real power, and thats just plain politiking.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:03     #5
ZoSo

Now with added loon! North Shore Mayor Williams has put his hat in. What a fucking dreamer.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:50     #6
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Now with added loon! North Shore Mayor Williams has put his hat in. What a fucking dreamer.

http://gotcha.co.nz/tag/andrew-williams/

Last edited by zeekiorage : 10th July 2010 at 13:52.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:10     #7
fixed_truth

Banks says it with $11,500 of flowers
Old 31st July 2010, 21:46     #8
CCS
Stunt Pants

FWIW

Quote:
TV ONE’s political programme, Q+A will host the first Auckland super city mayoral debate LIVE this Sunday morning.

Mayors Andrew Williams, John Banks and Len Brown will be together for the first time on TV to debate who should be the inaugural super mayor of Auckland. All three sitting mayors join Q+A host Paul Holmes to discuss their vision for the future of the country’s biggest city.

What do they stand for? Who are they? What plans do the have to deal with Auckland’s traffic, waterfront and difficult transition into a single, unified city? Holmes will get the answers in this extended debate on Q+A, this Sunday, August 1 from 9am on TV One
Old 1st August 2010, 20:10     #9
The Edge

Heard a bit of this on the news tonight - did anyone get up and watch it this morning?
Old 18th September 2010, 19:49     #10
zeekiorage

Mayoral debate highlights:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/video/news...lery_id=113939

Mostly just Len Brown and John Banks.

Every time Banks says something the audience laughs - not because he jokes but people think he is a joke.

Towards the end of the video a qustion is asked: what innovative or unique thing would you do as the mayor.

Brown says some along the lines of: Every Friday I would go to the various communitry centres around the city and listen to the concerns or complaints peple have.

Banks starts his answer with: I won't have time to go round all the community centers...and then goes into something about separate Maori seats and Asians.

Len Brown wins it IMHO.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:06     #11
zeekiorage

Even the new guy Colin Craig scored a few points with his down-to-earth $10 meal idea.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-city...ectid=10674322

The Nutrition foundation didn't like Banks' beg and bake pie recipie.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:09     #12
CCS
Stunt Pants

Do you think Brown actually would go around all the community centres to listen to people? I doubt he actually would. If he did, he'd tire of it pretty quickly.

They're both twats imho.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:14     #13
CCS
Stunt Pants

I wish I'd spent more time emailing candidates for a bit of Q&A. I emailed Brown in the hope that at least some of his lackeys would reply, but instead of that I got added to his campaign mailing list without asking to be. Thanks, asshole. I thought you were all about The People? If you can't answer some questions from a Joe Average while you're campaigning, you sure as hell aren't going to Connect with The People once (if) you're elected.

Anyway, I lost interest in trying to actually talk to the politicians at that point.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:44     #14
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Do you think Brown actually would go around all the community centres to listen to people? I doubt he actually would. If he did, he'd tire of it pretty quickly.
I'm pretty sure he said he does that already in Manukau. TBH, no I don't think he would do that, at least not every Friday. Still it's the way the question was answered. Banks was just completely...wait for it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
They're both twats imho.
Can't say I disagree with you there but the non-twats don't want to get into politics.

Actually you might like this Colin Craig guy. His innovative thing was to use more technology. Let people logon to the council website see their bills and connect with the council members or something. He is probably more likely to reply to your email.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:52     #15
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
Even the new guy Colin Craig scored a few points with his down-to-earth $10 meal idea.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-city...ectid=10674322

The Nutrition foundation didn't like Banks' beg and bake pie recipie.
Hahaha, what kind of idea is that? Sheeeeit.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:55     #16
cyc
Objection!

Talking

LOLCAKES! Got the voting papers in the mailbox today. There's some "Christians Against Abortions" candidate running for mayor and his pitch essentially consists of "Vote for me and I'll try and end abortion in Auckland. Don't worry about any of the other real issues!".

It's hard to imagine that there exists someone more retarded and out of touch with reality than Lightspeed.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:55     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
Actually you might like this Colin Craig guy. His innovative thing was to use more technology. Let people logon to the council website see their bills and connect with the council members or something. He is probably more likely to reply to your email.
I'm surprised people can't already see their bills on a council website. Lame.

Anyways, he's the only candidate who did respond to me (see post two) but then, I only emailed two of them before I got bored.

My problem with Colin Craig is his idea of binding citizens initiated referendums. I think that's just plain nutty.
Old 18th September 2010, 21:15     #18
zeekiorage

The thing about technology is that it is expensive. In super city's case the large ERP system being deployed by SAP Germany and its partners is going to cost $60 million or even 100M according to others. Apparently this contract was awarded without any tender process. And the whole system is replacing an existing system that was put together after spending millions in the first place.

Welcome to the Supercity. Same as the old city but super and super expensive.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:15     #19
CCS
Stunt Pants

So this guy is running for mayor. And he wants to build this monorail thing.

I shit you not. This is also his company, so no conflict of interest there. Hmmm. This monorail idea... seems familiar... monorail... monorail... monorail ... MONORAIL! MONORAIL!
For some reason I really want a MONORAIL for the Auckland SUPER CITY!

OHMYFUCKINGGOD! This guy is working for Lyle Lanley!
Old 21st September 2010, 18:44     #20
Cynos

Needs more photoshop.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:51     #21
Lightspeed

Some of the candidates' provided summaries in the Instructions & Candidates booklet are awesome. The first one sets the tone really well, simply being several lists of things. I love it.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:53     #22
Lightspeed

Candidate profile statements, that's what they're called. Hilarious. If it can't be found online, I might scan it...
Old 21st September 2010, 19:51     #23
doppelgänger of someone

The only reason I'm voting for Len Brown is because he has a realistic chance of beating John Banks.
Old 21st September 2010, 19:56     #24
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Is there a website that outlines candidates (not just mayoral candidates) and their views etc?
Old 21st September 2010, 20:05     #25
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah but it's pretty shit.

http://www.elections2010.co.nz/
Old 21st September 2010, 20:06     #26
The Edge

Hopefully John Banks loses.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:09     #27
CCS
Stunt Pants

Devil grin

Hopefully Len Brown does too.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:12     #28
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

same clowns, new tent

banks is a douche but at least he gets stuff done, we know from experience how effective a 'nice guy' mayor is. Len Brown is the mayor out here and had he not nearly died last year from a heart attack and done one of the most bizarre speeches in recent memory I would not have heard of him.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:07     #29
fixed_truth

Yeah Brown is a quite the clown but at least his effort isn't limited to middle/upper class Pakeha.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:40     #30
GM

Are there any hooks with voting for Simon Prast ie. religion?

He appears to be the only 'other' runner that is not insane or aged 60+.

Also, he now has a website: http://simonprast.com/
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:45     #31
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Are there any hooks with voting for Simon Prast ie. religion?

He appears to be the only 'other' runner that is not insane or aged 60+.

Also, he now has a website: http://simonprast.com/
I voted for him after seeing him on tele, he seemed pragmatic and sane
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:35     #32
cyc
Objection!

In the ideal world, I would not vote for Len Brown. However, since realistically speaking a vote for anyone else effectively means a helping hand for fucking John Banks, I am going to vote for Len Brown.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:18     #33
chubby

^^found myself in the same position.
participation is a mixed blessing.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:23     #34
zeekiorage

Prast seems like a resonable guy. I mean who could be against decriminalisation of P?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10658010
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:51     #35
GM

Ah! I knew there was something about that guy. Might have to dig around a bit to check out the other candidates and maybe come back to him - len brown and banks are both douche bags and the rest are religious nutbags. Jeez the quality of candidates is pretty fucking low eh.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:02     #36
fixed_truth

His argument could be reasonable if he was talking about illegal Class B & C drugs. But I can't see how a drug like P with a very high public health risk could not be considered Class A.
Old 24th September 2010, 00:08     #37
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
His argument could be reasonable if he was talking about illegal Class B & C drugs. But I can't see how a drug like P with a very high public health risk could not be considered Class A.
I think the decriminalisation argument works for class A drugs as well tbh (yes I went there), but electing him to mayor won't achieve that.

Plus voting for anyone other than Len is a vote for Banks, unfortunately. Local government democracy is FUBAR.
Old 24th September 2010, 00:15     #38
Lightspeed

Thing is, drug reform is a national issue, not a regional issue. A few of the candidates seem to make that mistake.
Old 24th September 2010, 09:11     #39
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

im voting for the candidate that spams the least
Old 24th September 2010, 09:21     #40
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
I think the decriminalisation argument works for class A drugs as well tbh (yes I went there),
I'm interested in why you think that decriminalising a very addictive and damaging drug will have a comparatively more positive outcome on society?