A mariachi ogre snorkel

Australian federal election Aug 21

Moving forward.
Old 17th July 2010, 17:33     #2
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Moving forward.
So what are the chances for the current govt?
Old 17th July 2010, 19:01     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Unfortunately, pretty good. Labor's enjoying a honeymoon bounce from Gillard's ascension to the PM's office and Gillard has quite cunningly called an election in the middle of it - before she has actually done anything on which to be judged.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:06     #4
Deadmeat

And what does this mean for NZ?
Old 31st July 2010, 13:01     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Australia appears to have woken up to the fact that there is a Vaginga in the big chair.

Quote:
In a stunning reversal of fortunes for the Coalition after a disastrous week for the government, support for both the Prime Minister and Labor has plummeted; the Coalition now leads Labor on a two-party-preferred basis by 52 per cent to 48 per cent.

This represents a 6 percentage point two-party swing against the government since the last Herald poll a week ago, and a 4.7 point two-party swing against the government since the last election.

If the result were replicated uniformly in the election on August 21, the Coalition would pick up 28 seats; 11 more than it needs to form government in its own right.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/abbot...ml?autostart=1
Old 14th August 2010, 11:06     #6
doppelgänger of someone

I just noticed Tony Abbott was born outside Australia, just like Gillard (both in UK). How about that? The poms are reasserting control over Australia
Old 14th August 2010, 12:02     #7
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
I just noticed Tony Abbott was born outside Australia, just like Gillard (both in UK). How about that? The poms are reasserting control over Australia
Most of the 'true blue aussies' every one here loves were born outside of OZ..Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson...3/4 of their Olympic teams, 3/4 of their other sporting stars...all the bro's playing league here..the list is endless.
Old 14th August 2010, 13:22     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fucking immigrants!
Old 14th August 2010, 16:01     #9
cyc
Objection!

So long as they are white, that's okay!
Old 15th August 2010, 04:04     #10
CCS
Stunt Pants

I AM OUTRAGED!

OUTRAGED!
Old 15th August 2010, 11:45     #11
fixed_truth

I reckon Mark Latham is an undercover agent for the labour party. Seeing his continued disgraceful antics makes a brutha want to vote for the Gillard.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:04     #12
CCS
Stunt Pants

I Love An Opportunity To Express My Moral Indignation!
Old 15th August 2010, 12:31     #13
fixed_truth

Yes! Participating in the political process gets me hard too.
Old 15th August 2010, 19:17     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I reckon Mark Latham is an undercover agent for the labour party. Seeing his continued disgraceful antics makes a brutha want to vote for the Gillard.
Mark Latham is an agent for Mark Latham exercising all the grudges he's been carrying while sitting doing nothing on a fat taxpayer-funded pension. Channel Nine is using Mark Latham's grudges to generate ad impressions.
Old 15th August 2010, 19:21     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Labor (left) Minister of Broadband and Communications thinks I'm a paedophile because I don't want the government reading my mail.

The Liberal (right) leader thinks my children should have mandatory Bible study at school.

Fuck both major parties in the ear.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:29     #16
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

TIME TO GET YOUR VOTE ON BIIIIIITCHES
Old 21st August 2010, 14:34     #17
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is the most frustrating bit about a preferential voting system. By putting One Nation, the Christian Democrats, and Family First at the bottom of my list I feel like I am slightly supporting whichever one I don't put at the absolute bottom. I wish there was I way I could indicate total rejection of multiple parties.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:56     #18
TnT

I know what you're going to say Ab, but as much as I enjoy the democratic process, I am glad that I don't have to vote in this election. If I were, I'd be doing the Mark Latham.

Not one of my candidates in my area are worth anything, the incumbent is incompetent, and the challengers are either philisophically polar opposite to me, or I know personally and wouldn't vote for because I know they hold personal views that should be no where near the legislative process.

Don't start me on the parties, when I believe the most sane people are in the 'Australian Sex Party' I know that I'm really only using that as a mask for a protest vote. I honestly think the 2 majors have bugger all differentiating them.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:17     #19
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Glad you said that, because I'm probably going to put the Sex Party at the top of my list. Their policies are sensible. The worst thing about their platform is the name of the party.
Old 22nd August 2010, 00:16     #20
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Big swing against Labor nationally so far. The Liberals may not have won, but Labor definitely seems to have lost.
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:01     #21
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Mental note: nonproportional voting is fucking stupid. NZ is way ahead on this one. Greens so far seem to have about 13% of the popular vote but only 1 out of 150 seats.
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:38     #22
TnT

^^
Truth.
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:57     #23
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lick my balls, Family First.
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:01     #24
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Thumbs up

Old 22nd August 2010, 06:02     #25
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This is the most frustrating bit about a preferential voting system. By putting One Nation, the Christian Democrats, and Family First at the bottom of my list I feel like I am slightly supporting whichever one I don't put at the absolute bottom. I wish there was I way I could indicate total rejection of multiple parties.
Do they get their panties in a twist if you put the same low number for everyone that you hate?
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:08     #26
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'd be afraid that doing something like that would invalidate my vote.
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:34     #27
doppelgänger of someone

I had a dream last night about Australian politics (crikey!). Julia Gillard was asking me about my opinion of a certain Australian friend for the sake of hiring him as an advisor. I was iffy about saying anything good, not because I hate the friend, but because I worry that he would be a victim of political machination, just like the number Gillard did on Kevin Rudd.

Tonight in my dream I expect to see Tony Abbott in lycra. Oooooooooh baby. *slash wrist*
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:39     #28
fixed_truth

I want results bitches.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:28     #29
doppelgänger of someone

Tony Abbott in lyrca: say hello to potential Australian PM:

Old 23rd August 2010, 13:59     #30
CCS
Stunt Pants

So... tell me, political nerds... who is going to form the government? Eh? C'mon.
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:35     #31
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This morning's counting has just given the Tasmanian seat of Denison back to Labor, which makes it (atm) Labor 73 Coalition 70 Greens 1 Independents 3 with 3 undecided. A Labor-led minority government with Gillard as PM seems more likely than a Coalition-led minority government with Abbott as PM.

Of course if neither Labor nor the Coalition can secure a guarantee of support from those independents, we could conceivably be headed back to the polls for another election.
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:36     #32
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

For even greater lols, it turns out that the Governor-General is the mother-in-law of a Labor MP, thus creating a clusterfuck of a conflict of interest. Whee!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/2991086.htm
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:44     #33
Redneck

Is there a Deputy Governor-General?
Old 24th August 2010, 09:21     #34
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Lick my balls, Family First.
it's a bit old (2/8/2010), but Sunrise debate between Fiona Patton & Wendy Francis..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS_gR6ahd3o
unbelievable!!
I think (thank Allah) Francis lost her seat.... (?)
Old 24th August 2010, 16:47     #35
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
Looks like it

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/fede...ld-results.htm
Old 25th August 2010, 18:59     #36
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

HTF do you interpret that?

Do you guys have STV or something?
Old 25th August 2010, 19:51     #37
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

See Rincey, on that page is a table right at the top entitled

Senate Results - Queensland

Elected Candidates

Wendy Francis is not in the list, indicating that she did not get elected.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:30     #38
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
it's a bit old (2/8/2010), but Sunrise debate between Fiona Patton & Wendy Francis..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS_gR6ahd3o
unbelievable!!
Couldn't help but laugh at one of the user comments about what Wendy Francis said.

""Why would you change something that's been around forever". Excuse me, but by that reasoning, you should be either in my kitchen or in my bed, not in politics."
Old 25th August 2010, 20:58     #39
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

I was under the impression that with STV not putting any number meant the candidate got no benefit whatsoever. Did they use a different system for the Aussie election?
Old 26th August 2010, 12:31     #40
Cyberbob

http://doesaustraliahaveagovernmentyet.com/