Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 2nd May 2014, 11:57     #2521
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
If you actually want to discuss shit in the future you might want to throw that better-dead-than-red attitude out.
Woah, I didn't see this until now.

I'm not anti-Labour, or anti-left. I'm just anti-idiots. I've happily voted Labour in the past, and would do so again if the right people were in place within the party. I applaud the Labour ideals, just not the way they're going about realising those ideals right now. I loathe JK (not quite as much as some); I hate the way his head is seated firmly between the USA's thighs, and dislike his smug attitude at times (although I'll give him credit for donating his salary every year to charities). Having said that, IMO he is the lesser of two evils.

The reason I posted the way I did is because LS said something obscure, and I wanted to know what he meant. You're entirely correct that I should have worded it differently if I wanted a genuine response, but I don't expect anything resembling an actual response out of him, and the high school bully in me got the better of me. When he says something like "reduce the number of low income earners" without explaining the statement, I want to know how what he's talking about, because while it's a great idea, it's imbecilic to think that it is a fix for the problem for which he proposed it as a solution. I wanted to know how he would suggest implementing that fix in such a way that could possibly bear viable results within the short time frame in which the fix is needed.

Sure, raise the minimum wage, tax the rich, tax the corporations ... and then watch all those wealthy people and the JK's of NZ stick their money in a trust fund where it does even less good than it currently does. What then? Abolish the trust laws (if this hasn't already happened) so that the money can be taxed correctly, and then they send all their cash overseas. That would also slow or stop overseas investors or wealthy immigrants bringing their cash to NZ. Even if these things came to pass, it would still takes years for the significant amount of money to flow down to the people who would need it to afford a "normal" apartment on the fringe of a CBD. It's all well and good for LS to raise his flag, but in the real world, the govt has to actually have viable solutions to immediate issues. Again, LS's ideals are fine, nothing wrong with that. It's his wording, phrasing, and weird logic that makes him come across like he hasn't given it more than five minutes of thought, and is saying whatever he thinks will make him sound magnanimous and all-loving.

I'm well aware I'll never get an actual reply from his lordship, and I've given up on replying to him or any of his drivel. At the time I would have liked to know if you had any suggestions or ideas, or had read anything suggesting viable alternatives to providing the proposed cheaper housing, because I couldn't really think of anything that would help in the short term. The thread has moved on since then, so I don't expect a reply at this stage, but I wanted to reply since I don't know you and have never discussed anything with you before.
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:16     #2522
Lightspeed

There are actually people on this forum who manage to engage with me without being antagonistic. I don't respond seriously to posts that are antagonistic. Although I suppose this is an exception.

Referring to what you think my ideas are (which you admit you don't understand) as communism is definitely antagonistic, which I think is the point adonis was making.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 2nd May 2014 at 13:17.
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:01     #2523
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
which you admit you don't understand
Not many people seem to understand a lot of your statements. This doesn't make you super smart like you seem to believe it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
communism
hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
noun Rhetoric .
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Last edited by Savage : 2nd May 2014 at 14:02.
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:15     #2524
CCS
Stunt Pants

Savage, lolspeed is drunk on his own hubris. May just want to wait a few years to see if he sobers up.
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:07     #2525
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Not many people seem to understand a lot of your statements.
Many might not understand, but many do too. You're saying your misunderstanding gives you a free hand to act like a bully (your word)?
Old 2nd May 2014, 16:44     #2526
StN
I have detailed files

I miss Duckstab.
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:53     #2527
fixed_truth

Devil grin

Quote:
(although I'll give him credit for donating his salary every year to charities)
Isn't this an urban myth? Doesn't he donate a vague "good part" or "reasonable portion"?
Old 3rd May 2014, 02:07     #2528
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Isn't this an urban myth? Doesn't he donate a vague "good part" or "reasonable portion"?
I looked around for info about this a few months back, and yeah it turns out he does donate a large percentage of his PM salary (don't have any links any more, and I don't recall finding a specific figure, sorry). He's certainly not the only minister who does it though, a lot of them do. I'm glad none of them make a big fuss about it, but it would seem especially bad from JK if he did.
Old 3rd May 2014, 02:15     #2529
Savage

Went looking coz I got wondering again - looks like there is a bit of derision about it, as he apparently pledged to donate all of the annual PM salary to charity, and there were questions about why he was only donating a percentage once he took the position. There are other claims that he takes $1 as his salary, and then the rest goes to charity.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ary-to-charity
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10562448
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/chariti...pay-rise-37919 (according to this, he was already donating as leader of the opposition before his PM appointment)

All the other links I found were to pages where this was raised as a topic, but no actual facts or evidence provided.
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:35     #2530
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Went looking coz I got wondering again - looks like there is a bit of derision about it, as he apparently pledged to donate all of the annual PM salary to charity
I had a momentary glance at the first article you provided. In that article it's the newspaper claiming "all" in a sensational title for an article that says something completely different.
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:36     #2531
fixed_truth

Quote:
I looked around for info about this a few months back, and yeah it turns out he does donate a large percentage of his PM salary
Well Key doesn't elaborate on "good part" or "reasonable portion" so we don't know if it is a large percentage (what's a large percentage )

But yeah, good on the Mps who do donate and I guess fortunately for Key it came to be widely held that he donates all his salary to charity.
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:44     #2532
Savage

Quote:
Well Key doesn't elaborate on "good part" or "reasonable portion" so we don't know if it is a large percentage (what's a large percentage )

But yeah, good on the Mps who do donate and I guess fortunately for Key it came to be widely held that he donates all his salary to charity.
Yeah I can't find the articles that left me with the impression he donated a "large part". I recall coming away from the article/s thinking he donated around 70 to 80%, but as I can't find those any more, I'm not sticking to that :P
Old 14th May 2014, 15:51     #2533
fixed_truth

Pre-election 2014 thread closed?
Old 14th May 2014, 15:57     #2534
Lightspeed

If only someone had the power to create an "Election 2014" thread. WINSTON, WE NEED YOU!
Old 14th May 2014, 16:02     #2535
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Pre-election 2014 thread closed?
erk
Old 14th May 2014, 16:11     #2536
Savage

Wacked

WTF @ proposed Budget released for Aussie ...

Personally I'm fine with the high earner levy, but the health care stuff sounds completely backwards (especially in the context of the AU govt having just dumped how-many-million on aircraft for the Air Force).
Old 14th May 2014, 16:31     #2537
pxpx

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11254857

So if you buy a property (in this case, a horse) and sell it at a loss, or at break-even, you don't need to declare it?

Seems legit.

(edit, guess it really depends on the actual dates of ownership, but still)

Last edited by pxpx : 14th May 2014 at 16:32.
Old 19th May 2014, 13:03     #2538
Savage

Banks covered in mud over an apparent 1997 comment on radio ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ref=NZH_FBpage
Old 19th May 2014, 13:42     #2539
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

wtf
Old 19th May 2014, 13:44     #2540
Savage

Apparently it was manure, not just mud, lol. That'd ruin your day.
Old 19th May 2014, 14:15     #2541
BoyWonder

I can imagine lots of people feel anti enough to want to throw manure at him, but for something that he said 17 years ago? Time to take your medication and move on...
Old 19th May 2014, 15:50     #2542
fixed_truth

^
Yeah the guy has a history of it. But lol all the same.
Old 20th May 2014, 18:25     #2543
Savage

Martial Law declared in Thailand

Old 20th May 2014, 18:52     #2544
Lightspeed

It's that time of the year already? Probably a good idea when your government isn't listening to its high court.
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:48     #2545
Cyberbob

NZ First MP discovers the internet and colloquial sayings.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 23rd May 2014 at 11:50.
Old 23rd May 2014, 17:02     #2546
Nothing

Green party actually crowd sourcing internet rights legislation:
http://www.internetrightsbill.org.nz/

If you ask me, using internet to crowd source the legislative process should've happened years ago. If we did more of this we might not need so many politicians, and our politics might not be so much of a personality cult cluster fuck.
Old 23rd May 2014, 17:41     #2547
pxpx

yea but we'd probably also end up with no flouride in the water, vaccinations banned and mandatory home births for all.
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:00     #2548
fixed_truth

Isn't crowd sourcing about being able to access brilliant and innovative ideas rather than some kind of binding public referendum?
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:11     #2549
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
yea but we'd probably also end up with no flouride in the water, vaccinations banned and mandatory home births for all.
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:43     #2550
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
This does not follow. There is no reason why crowd sourcing public input cannot be tempered by critical thinking processes and scientific scrutiny. This objection is the worst brand of ignorant weaksauce.
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:50     #2551
BoyWonder

Yes what we need is endless non-binding public referendums.
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:02     #2552
Nothing

No! What we need is vile personality cult politics!
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:26     #2553
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
This objection is the worst brand of ignorant weaksauce.
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:10     #2554
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I hate you and the opinion you hold.
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:02     #2555
Nothing

I hate the idea of a society which would, to some extent, encourage (and maybe even require) me to be an informed participant in its law making process!
Old 24th May 2014, 00:08     #2556
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Ignorance is a human right!
Old 24th May 2014, 00:42     #2557
Nothing

I don't want to live on this planet any more.
Old 24th May 2014, 01:21     #2558
chubby

welcome to NZGames.
Old 24th May 2014, 16:07     #2559
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So David Cunliffe moved No Confidence in the government following the budget.

The Greens and NZ First voted against this motion, because they... Support the government? Are fucking incompetent?

welcome to NZParliament.
Old 31st May 2014, 18:05     #2560
adonis

"Labour bad for small business"

Oh wait no, the other thing.

http://thedailyblog.co.nz/2014/05/30...-democraciess/