Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th July 2014, 08:56     #361
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses
Aw yeah Yatala Pie shop Curry Pie. Where's the other spot?
There is a small bakery next door to an IGA on Brunswick St between Fort. Valley and Merthyr Village which does surprisingly good steak, bacon, and cheese pies

There are acceptable pies from another place near the Gabba, but the best Aussie pies I've had so far were bought in Maroochydore. Fantastic place to visit, not worth the two hour drive just for a pie though :P
Old 5th August 2014, 12:58     #362
CCS
Stunt Pants

Here's what a proper pie looks like. Properly filled up. Look, you can actually see the mince!

And this is a bullshit pie:

Old 4th September 2014, 19:32     #363
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweeb
So I've been living in Sydney now for just under a year and the lack of good pies in this country (that I have seen) is appalling. At least back in NZ you could go to a bakery and get a decent pie with good flaky pastry in most suburbs of Auckland and NZ.

Went to Pie Face to try a pie and it is a shit version of Jesters. I never really got into the Jesters pies that much either. Reckon these clowns have a year tops in NZ as our Aussie counterparts just don't have the same amount of pie discrimination as we do back home.
Went to the Albany Pie Face branch today and found it had closed down. Beginning of the end?
I suspect the location of that one worked against them, in a big way.
Old 4th September 2014, 19:36     #364
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sydney fucking sucks for English fast food - pies, fish and chips, etc.
Old 4th September 2014, 19:37     #365
CCS
Stunt Pants

Jeez, that didn't take long! California Burrito was in there before, premises must have bad juju.

The location really is a problem though. There's a Caltex next door with a Habitual Fix in it, a Burger Fuel, a Pizza Hut and a Nando's in the same block. There's a bakery and a Subway further along the road. Pie Cunt ain't gonna win.

They are open quite late though so what they really need to do is open up next to a pub so the boozers can go in there and get their post-pissup pie.
Old 4th September 2014, 19:39     #366
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Sydney fucking sucks for English fast food - pies, fish and chips, etc.
Too many wogs? Too many homos? Too many of both?
Old 4th September 2014, 20:27     #367
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Jeez, that didn't take long! California Burrito was in there before, premises must have bad juju.

The location really is a problem though. There's a Caltex next door with a Habitual Fix in it, a Burger Fuel, a Pizza Hut and a Nando's in the same block. There's a bakery and a Subway further along the road. Pie Cunt ain't gonna win.

They are open quite late though so what they really need to do is open up next to a pub so the boozers can go in there and get their post-pissup pie.
Correction - they were open quite late. Maybe they would have had a bit more success if they had been located in the mall? Not like there was a lot of foot traffic where they were.
Old 5th September 2014, 01:42     #368
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Too many wogs? Too many homos? Too many of both?
Kebabs to die for, pies and greasies? Not so much.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:01     #369
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Sydney fucking sucks
ftfy
Old 5th September 2014, 10:08     #370
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Kebabs to die for, pies and greasies? Not so much.
I've found Brisbane generally sucks for kebabs - until now. New place has just opened up a convenient 10 minute walk away from home, which sells a motherfucker of a kebab Feesh and cheeps have always been pretty good here, although the pie situation still needs some work.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:33     #371
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS

California Burrito went under because the owners were a married couple that split up - so I heard! Good news for me, the one in town sucked and now there's a Mexicali Fresh that are super generous with filling :D
Old 5th September 2014, 13:30     #372
CCS
Stunt Pants

Was it the Albany jinx that broke the couple up? 0_o

Mexicali is alright. Good quality but ruddy expensive for what you get. Burritos are smaller than Cali Burrito. The tacos are a joke.
Old 8th September 2014, 18:56     #373
Dweeb

We have a good fush and chups for our local - $5 for fish, drink and chips so not bad for Sydney prices.

Back home thought $5 (which then went up to $5.50) Two fish, scoop of chips and 4 little tato fritters...

Although another kiwi family reckons there is a good shop down from them which is closer suited to home.

Greasies are hard to find. Kebabs and random Chicken and Burger joints aren't though.
Old 17th May 2015, 18:59     #374
The Edge

Bump - came across this related news story not long after this thread was updated. I wonder if they'll open any more outlets here (maybe no)?

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/au...000705281.html
Old 17th May 2015, 19:42     #375
cyc
Objection!

Hahaha Pie Face.....

The better question is how many of their Auckland outlets are still around. The Shortland Street one has folded; the Queen Street one folded and, of course, the Albany one is gone. How pathetic and dead this lot is can be highlighted by the fact that all the folded stores are still featured on their website.

People need to wrap their head around this: try as the likes of Pie Face and Jesters Pies might, a pie isn't some kind of fancy food. No one needs to spend $350K to set up some shop to sell pies.
Old 17th May 2015, 19:48     #376
The Edge

I find Jester's Pies quite good, they were a good healthy alternative when they opened back in 2004. Bit sucky the Glenfield one closed, that was my local.
But I think Georgie Pie being reopened has probably eaten into the other pie chains margins quite a bit.

And I agree with you cyc re the Pie Face website - pretty slack they still list all their closed branches.
Old 25th May 2015, 05:07     #377
Odysseus
Stray Dog

In Singapore, the opposite is happening. Pie Face is just opening its third store and going pretty solidly.
Old 25th May 2015, 21:31     #378
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus
In Singapore, the opposite is happening. Pie Face is just opening its third store and going pretty solidly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
counterpoint: asians fucking love pieface
Coincidence? YOU DECIDE!

Seriously, I believe they just opened one at AUT. And let's not forget the one they have in the thriving metropolis of Balclutha (neither of which are mentioned on their site).
Old 7th August 2015, 21:57     #379
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Hahaha Pie Face.....

The better question is how many of their Auckland outlets are still around. The Shortland Street one has folded; the Queen Street one folded and, of course, the Albany one is gone. How pathetic and dead this lot is can be highlighted by the fact that all the folded stores are still featured on their website.
Miracle of miracles cyc, your wish has been granted and their site updated! They have two Auckland stores left - one at the airport and one at AUT. The Balclutha one is now mentioned. Under "coming soon", we have Christchurch, and...Gore.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:13     #380
The Edge

And here we are, around 18 months later and it looks like they're gone. Their site is no longer working (in fact the domain is set for release), their Twitter feed hasn't been updated for a while, neither has their Facebook page.

Too lofty ambitions maybe?
Old 16th December 2016, 21:55     #381
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
And here we are, around 18 months later and it looks like they're gone. Their site is no longer working (in fact the domain is set for release), their Twitter feed hasn't been updated for a while, neither has their Facebook page.

Too lofty ambitions maybe?
I know the Christchurch one is still open and trading. I walked past it yesterday
Old 16th December 2016, 22:10     #382
CCS
Stunt Pants

Good riddance. Pie face was shit. Burn in hell.
Old 16th December 2016, 23:14     #383
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
I know the Christchurch one is still open and trading. I walked past it yesterday
...for now. The fact all(?) of the Auckland ones are gone doesn't inspire me with confidence (unless the Chch one is a standalone franchise thing). So much for "...we'll have 60 outlets..." when they can't even keep 6 open
Old 9th July 2020, 21:48     #384
The Edge

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12345484
Also McDonald's are going to stop selling Georgie Pie by the end of the month.