Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 29th September 2010, 21:56     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

YUO=LAME ABs: chokers

Quote:
The All Blacks have topped a list of the greatest chokers in sport, beating the likes of golfer Greg Norman and the South African cricket team.

The 1999 All Blacks, a team that were shocked by France in the Rugby World Cup semifinals, finished number one in the Times Online's 40 greatest chokers in sport.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10676933
Old 29th September 2010, 22:57     #2
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

i read that earlier today. utter tripe!
Old 30th September 2010, 00:36     #3
CCS
Stunt Pants

Delete thread pls.
Old 30th September 2010, 00:40     #4
pervy

Truth hurts huh?
Old 30th September 2010, 00:53     #5
CCS
Stunt Pants

Ban that guy too.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:48     #6
fixed_truth

Who is this 'Patrick Kidd' & why do we give a shit what he thinks?
Old 30th September 2010, 09:12     #7
blynk

What the hell are they talking about. There's only ever been 1 rubgy world cup.
It's an odd competition to have every 24 years, but at least that means its really prestigious
Old 30th September 2010, 10:57     #8
JP

I mean, are the AB's significant enough to be the biggest chokers of all time? British national football team for one?

Also, we only choke at the World Cup. To be honest, I would rather win basically every game we play and lose the world cup once every four years, than have to go through what Aussie and SA repeatedly go through (multiple years of beatdowns) between them. World cup loss is just one game every four years, kinda get used to it.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:34     #9
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

British? English you mean. I actually tend to agree, we are the biggest chokers of all time. Never have the odds been more in our favour of us to skip through to a world cup victory without breaking a sweat than 99.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:39     #10
Fluffer

England football - fan expectation, but never been ranked world number 1 so not a classic choke.

NZ Rugby Team - consistently ranked number 1 and only the 1987 win.

If Brazil had only ever one one world cup - then you would have a football choking comparison.

Or if you wanted to beat up England - you could look at penalty shoot outs..

And it's only choking in a tournament - they've done well in Tri nations and Bledisloe..
Old 30th September 2010, 12:54     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Personally I would have put the Boston Red Sox at number one, but the ABs choking hurts more.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:05     #12
fixed_truth

Past Ab team performances don't have anything to do with the 2011 WC squad so meh.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:58     #13
A Corpse
talkative lurker

The ABs choke so often and so spectacularly I wonder if it's some sort of team autoerotic asphyxiation thing...
Old 1st October 2010, 01:57     #14
badassmofo

Just another cunt trying to be the next Stephen Jones. IRL Troll.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:51     #15
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Also, we only choke at the World Cup. To be honest, I would rather win basically every game we play and lose the world cup once every four years, than have to go through what Aussie and SA repeatedly go through (multiple years of beatdowns) between them. World cup loss is just one game every four years, kinda get used to it.
I'm the opposite, I see it like the difference between the All Blacks and the Kiwi League team. The All Blacks win everything except the one that matters and the Kiwis get pummeled by Aussie every year then won the one that matters. I love the fact we are the league world champs and wouldn't take that victory back for all the non-world cup losses we have had to suffer through, ever.

Personally I'd rather win the World Cup than go undefeated in the Tri-Nations and the ABs are world cup chokers. No argument there.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:09     #16
ZoSo

^ So true.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:30     #17
crocos

#35 made me lol

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th October 2010, 14:59     #18
xor

But does anyone actually think that the kiwi league team is better than stralia?
Old 4th October 2010, 15:15     #19
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
But does anyone actually think that the kiwi league team is better than stralia?
Yeah I'd rather be consistently the worlds best rugby team than the best at a tournament once every 4years. Both would be good though
Old 4th October 2010, 16:15     #20
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Bro, it doesnt matter, who are the world champions?
Old 4th October 2010, 22:14     #21
surreal

Problem is, our commentators and core league media groupoes don't do a recent job of making it clear that the kiwis are world champions... (and lets not mention costigan)

Whereas it was a frequently restated fact after England won the RWC, despite playing like crap since then, that they were 'champions'.

Anyway for the ABs, winning the RWC at home is not such a big accomplishment so this time is not so important****
Old 5th October 2010, 03:14     #22
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
No, but we are the World Champs and that's all that matters. Being the world champs at anything is a significant trump card that beats all others, all the time.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:10     #23
fixed_truth

^^In your opinion of course.

The Abs absolutely smashed South Africa in the Tri Nation and for them to try on the comeback 'but we won the Cup back in 07' is a bit lame IMO.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:43     #24
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

The Boks smashed the shit out of us last year dude.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:40     #25
fixed_truth

Exactly. Last year is much more relevant than 2007