NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 28th April 2010, 21:30     #121
pig

Sounds like Folau might actually go to the Rebels, supposedley he has till Friday to activate an out clause he had put in his contract with the Broncos when he signed.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:26     #122
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Sounds like Folau might actually go to the Rebels, supposedley he has till Friday to activate an out clause he had put in his contract with the Broncos when he signed.
That would be awesome but I bet it's about as made up as Slater being linked with them, just someone making up rumours.
Old 29th April 2010, 01:33     #123
QWERTY?

twas in the sydney morning herald again today about Falou, $1mil a year contract

also

"Patrick Ah Van will make his first appearance of the season on Saturday. "

ugh, you know things are going badly when they have to put him in the starting line up....

I see price is STILL out, mannering, manu, seymour as well....

seymour should be back soon though no?>
Old 29th April 2010, 08:31     #124
QWERTY?

Quote:
The Rebels are almost certain to today announce Folau as their latest signing, with the 21-year-old to tell his NRL club Brisbane he will not be triggering a two-year option to remain in Queensland. His offer to switch codes is about $600,000 a season, not the $1 million figure reported this week, and includes about $100,000 in top-up funding from the Australian Rugby Union.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0428-tsj2.html
Old 1st May 2010, 20:06     #125
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

whoa @ michael luck smashing into brent tate, his nose looked smashed!
Old 1st May 2010, 21:26     #126
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

OINK!

Old 4th May 2010, 14:42     #127
QWERTY?

wellllll it was better than last week, but still quite shit.
Old 5th May 2010, 01:45     #128
QWERTY?

Quote:
The Warriors have signed back-row forward Steve Rapira from North Queensland for the 2011 season.

The 21-year-old younger brother of Sam Rapira has signed a two-year contract with an option for the 2013 season.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:01     #129
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Pretty Awesome - Sam's a machine, so hopefully Steve'll do just as well. Interesting though that he left after 08 stating that he was behind the likes of Mannering, Fai and Luck in the pecking order but the Warriors still have quite a large backrow stock; wonder if this is a sign that Luck and/or Lillyman aren't going to be resigned for next season?

Hopefully it's just the latter! Or possibly Matulino's out of favour as well?
Old 5th May 2010, 22:06     #130
Ultimative

Well Steve is definitely a lock, a Jeremy Smith type player. I'd say both Luck and Lillyman are likely gone seeing as we're after Mateo as well.

Vatuvei, Mannering and Seymour are most likely back after the bye, so we'll see if it's a team thing or a Cleary thing...

It's a Cleary thing.
Old 6th May 2010, 02:48     #131
QWERTY?

Purely speculation, I would have thought Luck would have been the price replacement, hes a tackling machine, hardly ever injured (minus his head bleeding every game) filled in as capt most of last season, perhaps he has expressed that he wants to leave, would be pretty shitty if they cast him off.

Lillyman can go for all I care...

I wonder if they'll look for a first class prop to replace Price, perhaps someone who'll get cast off by the storm?
Old 6th May 2010, 05:23     #132
QWERTY?

Also, I wonder if they dont make the finals this year if Cleary will be goneski. I see Mick Potter (St Helens) is looking for an NRL coaching gig.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:18     #133
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Surely Cleary has done his dash, so over him.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:44     #134
QWERTY?

yeh I kind of wonder how he kept his job after last season, if they keep going at this rate he has no chance.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:48     #135
Ultimative

Rumor has it Warriors will be putting in a bid for Adam Blair, and also that Bluey would like to coach us. From VOT so grain of salt and all that.

Yeah I'm done with Cleary. Boring coach, seems to suck all of the natural talent out of the players, especially the forwards/second rowers. Team selections are shit and listening to him talk is like watching paint dry.
Old 10th May 2010, 08:46     #136
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

He always sounds so unenthused like he'd rather be doing anything else, so go do something else fucker.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:05     #137
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I joined a facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...24243550925003
Old 10th May 2010, 22:33     #138
pig

The Warriors have signed Feleti Mateo & Krisnan Inu from the Eels apparently & have also resigned Luck, pretty huge snagging those 2 wonder if it means Tate is gonna be a Bronco again.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:11     #139
MrTTTT

could be the money freed up with price retiring? [though I do think Tate will go too]

we still need a new prop i reckon - adam blair? jeff lima? we should get one of the Storm superstars.
Old 11th May 2010, 01:36     #140
QWERTY?

I hope they secure Maloney for next season, and hopefully Seymour performs at his previous levels and stays as well (though im unsure how much they would have under the cap to keep both of them)

this must be McKinnon's last year no? they have no reason whatsoever to resign him now with Inu in the mix, put hohaia at fullback where he should be, slotting into the halves/hooker when required.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:39     #141
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

McKinnon's already locked in till 2012 from what I read, though they might negotiate an early release?

Tate's up to Tate I guess, I'm sure they'd love to have him if he wants to stay, but it'll also be dependant on what Price does next year. They'll probably be trying to offer him a management style role.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:08     #142
Ultimative

Following on from a couple of pretty awesome signings, this weeks team is almost full strength.

1 LANCE HOHAIA
2 KEVIN LOCKE
3 BRENT TATE
4 JEROME ROPATI
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 BRETT SEYMOUR
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 AARON HEREMAIA
10 MATAUPU POCHING
11 SIMON MANNERING (c)
12 UKUMA TA'AI
13 MICHEAL LUCK
Interchange (one to be omitted):
IAN HENDERSON
JEREMY LATIMORE
BEN MATULINO
RUSSELL PACKER
JESSE ROYAL

That starting 13 is pretty badass. Definitely the strongest lineup we've had all year. If we don't beat the Cows without Thurston....urgh.

There's still talk we've got enough cap space to nab a Storm star. They seem to be talking a lot about Blair, but also I've heard maybe both Blair and Lima. Doubt that though.

If we could grab Blair, next years team will be pretty amazing (if we can keep Tate aswell). But so long as Cleary is in charge, I don't think we'll really be going anywhere.

$$$ Needs to be thrown at Kearney, I'm sure some Storm players will come a bit cheaper.
Old 12th May 2010, 01:34     #143
QWERTY?

thats a badass lineup, if price was in there, that'd be one hell of a team.

where the hell is price anyway? he'll have missed over 1/2 the season soon..

so glad Seymour is back, hohaia is a brilliant utility & fullback, but I still dont rate him in the halves, hopefully the blow the cows out of the water.

What did locke do to deserve to get his place back?
Old 12th May 2010, 05:28     #144
QWERTY?

I see no Lewis Brown in the squad? injured?

Cleary gold:

Quote:
It's a bit like in Happy Days when The Fonz ain't around. Ralph Mouth and Potsy can only keep it going so long. We've got a few blokes back this week and that will definitely boost everybody's confidence. They won't change everything themselves but ... if you are standing next to some of those guys in the field you feel a bit bigger.

Last edited by QWERTY? : 12th May 2010 at 05:29.
Old 12th May 2010, 08:07     #145
Ultimative

Price re-injured his heel trying to get ready for the Raiders game, apparently. He's gone for a long time as he now needs to fully rest again, then get his fitness back up. I doubt we'll see him on the field again. Unless he mysteriously comes right around Origin time.

Don't know about Locke but Ah Van has a broken jaw which may have opened the door for him, although Tupou has been playing well.

Brown was injured vs the Raiders. Hope it isn't too serious, hes been going so well D:
Old 12th May 2010, 09:00     #146
QWERTY?

ahh right, pretty shitty way to end your playing career an entire season on the couch....
A bit of an odd injury as well, his heel and all, though i could see how it would be impossible to play if it was inflamed in any way.

Also: I always see Ah Van as more of a liability than anything, he is exposed hugely on defense and always has massive brain explosions which always cost points.

Last edited by QWERTY? : 12th May 2010 at 09:03.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:46     #147
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I thought Ah Van did pretty well against the Raiders - haven't seen anything from Locke all season except one outstanding break down the sideline a few weeks back before he lost the ball, and players have been going down his side like a turnstile. Though to be fair I reckon Tate's been pretty woeful at giving him any space.

Same as Tupou, what's he done with his starting spot apart from stop before the line every time to do a little jig? So he's back to the juniors where someone might be dumb enough to fall for it

Last edited by Saladin : 12th May 2010 at 09:50.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:32     #148
pig

Interesting read about how Souths got Sam Burgess on their books for probably a lot less than what other clubs would have thought.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0510-uot6.html

Looks like Isaac Luke is an identical deal which im surprised at tbh.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:16     #149
QWERTY?

yeh I wouldnt be surprised if Burgess walks out before his time is up when he gets a huggggeeeee super league offer, though he's pretty young, he'll be pulling in the big bucks later on (form provided)

they really need to sort out the salary cap debacle.

Last edited by QWERTY? : 12th May 2010 at 12:17.
Old 13th May 2010, 02:04     #150
QWERTY?

And the coaches keep lining up for jobs in the NRL next year

Michael Potter - St Helens.
Brian McLennan - Leeds (former kiwis coach).
Nathan Brown - Huddersfield, former St George.

If I was Cleary I would seriously worried about my prospects if the warriors dont perform in the next 5-6 weeks.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:03     #151
Ultimative

Kearney could quite possibly have a job here next year too. I'd take him over any other coach there. Then Bluey, easily.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:05     #152
QWERTY?

yeh if kearney could instill the kind of mentality they have at the storm it would be brilliant.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:19     #153
pig

With St George trying to sign Mark Gasnier they may be running into trouble re-signing people coming off contract at the end of this season, Jeremy Smith might end up going elsewhere. Cinovaceva has re-signed with Penrith so the Broncos ( who were after him ) might be signing some big names for next season, Hannat or Tate or some Storm players.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:44     #154
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Broncs will be keen as for Tate to replace Folau.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:37     #155
QWERTY?

I guess thats where Inu comes into the picture, when Ropati is on form he is excellent, especially coupled with big Manu.

Speaking of Manu his contract must be up soon no? I wonder what kind of offers he'll get from other clubs, i could only imagine the insane damage he could do with a top side.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:40     #156
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
I guess thats where Inu comes into the picture, when Ropati is on form he is excellent.
Ropati hasent been on form in years and is probally the worst defensive center in the NRL ... just sayin
Old 14th May 2010, 12:42     #157
QWERTY?

hahaha come on now, he's not that bad, well last year he was wooooeeeful
Old 15th May 2010, 01:49     #158
QWERTY?

Mannering = out.
Brown = In.
Old 15th May 2010, 17:31     #159
Ultimative

Beasts contracted will the end of next season. We need to give him whatever he wants, but really I can't see him playing for another club.

Ropati needs to fuck off. His form as been so shit, let him go somewhere else, use the no doubt decent money he's on to entice Tate to stay. Inu + Tate. I just hope Tate doesn't get into SSO (doesn't look like he will) as that will drive his price up even more >_<
Old 15th May 2010, 22:36     #160
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Geez.. What a game. Looked for all money like Klein was trying to give the game back to the Cowboys, but luckily they held on.

Reckon Ropati had a decent game considering his position shift..