Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 10th July 2011, 00:36     #1
Heresy
yawn.

Super 15 Final - Reds vs Crusaders

Dammit.

The better team won on the day. The Reds were sublime in the second half. We didn't dominate the scrums anywhere near as much as I expected. Crusaders had the slight edge at the breakdown but didn't turn it into points.

Thorne, whilst playing his enforcer role, made some pretty crucial mistakes, tripping QC and then not offloading for the certain try out with a 6 on 2 overlap.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:39     #2
wazza
*flex*

*crying*
Old 10th July 2011, 00:47     #3
-Statik

Surprised they pulled Fruean off, I think he might have made the difference at the end of that last run coming off SBW.

Crusaders made too many mistakes, especially at the lineout and I think it cost them the game.

Looking forward to the tri-nations and prep for the world cup, roko/sivi/mils need to be dropped and guys like gear/jane/guildford/maitland given game time on the wings and dagg/toeava given as much time at fullback. Only problem is injury, so maybe put jane/smith in for fullback.

The more senior players in the backs just don't have the pace these days to keep up with guys like genia/ioane/cooper and it could be our undoing at the world cup.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:51     #4
fixed_truth

Flynn was useless. McCaw was average. Too many mistakes.

GG Reds
Old 10th July 2011, 01:04     #5
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Flynn was useless. McCaw was average. Too many mistakes.

GG Reds
McCaw was decidedly average. Fruean and the Whitelock bros put in some fair work. SBW was alright. DC apart from his try was average.

What is the fucking deal with box kicks? I don't understand why they're being used so much in this competition.
Old 10th July 2011, 03:37     #6
StN
I have detailed files

/Murray

The pitch was rooted.
Old 10th July 2011, 03:47     #7
deh

i thought overall the crusaders were definitely the better looking team, the forwards were turning over ball often and dominating the scrum. just sloppy errors and poor backline structure meant they couldnt convert the hardwork upfront into points.

unfortunately mccaw is nowhere near his best, his fitness all round looks quite bad, he's just cruising around the field at prop speed.

im glad that cooper still cant perform under the big stage, he was shocking for someone whos been called 'the greatest attacking player ever'.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:28     #8
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
What is the fucking deal with box kicks? I don't understand why they're being used so much in this competition.
This. .What happened to the good old way of hanging on to the ball and running with it?Flynn threw 3 bananas at crucial times.I wanted to punch him in the tits.
Well done to the Reds though.Deserved to win.Had hunger and desire as oppossed to to the Crusaders who looked flat.
Old 10th July 2011, 10:57     #9
yaksman

Pretty bad game. Reds played fine, Crusaders messed up.

Kicking options were very poor and poorly executed. I'd not had an opinion on Guilford before the game other than I didn't really see him as a genuine AB, but man he had one of those games where he was a liability. A damn big liability.

Scrums. Solid. Lineouts, worse than poor. McCaw - 4 knock ons in one game? He looked rigid and pretty laboured TBH.

It was good to see the midfield combo of Fruen and SBW - I think there's a bit of goodness in there - solidness - to cover the liable Nonu spot. And I think Maitland looked good too. Tight 5 was solid but not spectacular.

Man I hate those held up calls. Where there's 57,000 crusaders and 2 Reds players, and somehow they're held up.. Oath.

The first half was just full of nerves. Anyone notice the Crusaders cocking up every attacking move by throwing bullet passes to support runners 1 meter way, at their ears? Or Nostrils? Or shins? Basic stuff..

And what was with the decision making? Case - 75th minute, 5 behind, Cooper misses a penalty from 55 on the angle, so Guilford dots down for a fucking 22. WHAT?! You have 5 minutes left, and you choose to play a lottery on your 22 rather than run it for a 30 meter gain and virtually guaranteed possession? I don't mean to hate on Guilford in particular but this was one game where it all didn't click. Not to mention 2 minutes later they got the pill on their 22 and Fotuali'i decides to kick downfield - again.

And for once I think the Ref had a 'proper' game - stuff all this "stamping your mark" bollocks the 'taters go on about, you Ref the game. Pity they still miss forward passes...

And man, if you watch the game again you'll notice a lot of shepards. Was it Ginea's try? From 60 out? OK, the dude puts his arms up, but that doesn't mean you can just run around the guy, then back, to get past the defender.. That aint right. Same with the other try where the runner got around SBW from 35 out - a lock had his arms on his head, stopped, so SBW had to run around him. Moral of the story - plant players anywhere you want, put their hands on head, use them as a screen and profit!

GG Reds, Crusaders picked the one game to cough up a shocker.

Last edited by yaksman : 10th July 2011 at 10:58.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:10     #10
Deadmeat

^ Sheperding has been getting to me more and more this season, Ginea's try being a prime example. Sure there was no contact from the guy with his arms up, but a defender was taken out of play by him being used as a screen.

I couldn't work out why they took the 3pts from that scrum after the held up call. The one place they'd had utter dominance.

Guilford's stock has to have fallen, I dunno if he just had a genuine one off shocker or the pressure hit him but given all the other options he didn't do himself any favours.

I imagine whichever Red it was that ran past Carter as he went in for a try in the corner but didn't bother to tackle him allowing it to be dotted between the posts earned a healthy slap about the ears at half time. Carter must have been laughing his ass off to be gifted to the extra 2 without any worry.

Loved the first 30 minutes or so, complete mayhem at the ruck area. Big credit to the ref for letting a lot of madness play out.
Old 10th July 2011, 17:46     #11
SickBo@Work

That was Cooper who let him run around, he's such a limp dick on defense when things aren't going his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksman
And for once I think the Ref had a 'proper' game - stuff all this "stamping your mark" bollocks the 'taters go on about,
Yeah, and he wasn't swayed trying to be a hero everytime the crowd went up either which is good.

Really one of those games that could have gone either way had a few passes stuck or tackles been made. Gotta love the way the Reds are playing though, and it doesn't feel quite as bad as say losing to the Stormers or Bulls would have.

Marshall needs to up his ADD meds a bit with the amount of babbling he does commentating.

Last edited by SickBo@Work : 10th July 2011 at 17:47.