Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 7th November 2010, 10:23     #1
fixed_truth

Ab vs England

imo.
Overall quite average. Last 25 of first-half was pretty good. Fortunate that Carter was in form with shots at goal.

Englands try being awarded was a disgrace and the person who made that call needs to lose their job. Toeava nice try-saving tackle. Gear worked hard.
Sonny Bill great offload to set up try (also being an AB > anything league honour).

meh
Old 7th November 2010, 11:05     #2
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

longest and at times some of strangest 80mins of rugby i've seen. i quite enjoyed the rough and tumble. thorn got the mean hit in.
Old 7th November 2010, 11:12     #3
ilk

What do we reckon, will Mealamu get cited for the headbutt on the ground? Only saw the extended replay rather than the full game, SBW seemed to show glimpses of talent - how did his game overall rate?
Old 7th November 2010, 16:00     #4
Luse

If Mealamu gets cited for that 'headbutt', that english replacement hooker should get cited for his facesmash on McCaw.

Pretty good game, apart from scrumtime (yawn) and the try england scored down the left touchline (SBW taken out, player infront of the kicker, double movement).

I thought SBW played okay, some good signs, Gear and Rokocoko seemed to be hungry for work, and Whitelock was a standout. I love the intensity of and England vs ABs game.
Old 7th November 2010, 18:16     #5
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Glad Whitelock got a run he has been a standout all year IMO , gear also played well.

SBW had a good game looked a bit lost at times but thats to be expected. Was a good call playing him in this game, Tindall is not going to set the world alight and you get exposer to the 'big stage'

Missed cowan and would like to see gear / jane used next game
Old 7th November 2010, 18:55     #6
xor

Would prefer to see SBW running at 12
Old 7th November 2010, 19:05     #7
deh

Pretty good game, altho both teams were sloppy at times, was a legit test match. So good watching rugby with a good crowd (lol @ itm cup final).

Gear looked fast, was good to see some fresh legs in the back 3. Rockococko's work rate was high but unfortunately made a few too many mistakes/errors. SBW's debut wasnt bad at all.. dude has potential and i hope he just grows into the position.

Wasnt too stoked with all the kicks we were doing behind the line on attack. WTF was up with that? wasnt the 5th tackle boys.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:34     #8
GiBs

Alby played alright at 9, seemed a bit slow to clear the ball at times? Looked dangerous though. Andy Ellis go home.. Cowan to start alby to sub on as other team starts to tire would be ideal.

SBW - Pretty damn good debut considering it was STARTING and in front of 82000 people playing England (not some second rate team)

Gear looked sharp and Roko played well I think for a change. Seemed to be a bit quicker than previous games too?

A lot of stupid decisions seemed to be made with the kicks though as already mentioned. And hell yes get SBW in at 12 next to Smith and put nonu on the bench seeing as he can cover a few positions and played worse than SBW.

How many minutes of game time were wasted at scrumtime, jesus its boring!! Clock should restart once ball is out of the scrum or something cause man you lose I reckon 10mins a game plus trying to reset scrums.
Old 7th November 2010, 20:19     #9
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh
Pretty good game, altho both teams were sloppy at times
I'd love to know how many times England dropped/coughed it up in our 22, they were looking mean on attack just had butterfingers. This stopped the pressure on us several times.

SBW - decent debut, every time he tries to do those 1 hand league pop pass type offloads i cringe though, like watching rokoko running while waving it about in 1 hand. Gear did a good job of making his case.

I thought the ref was pretty decent, besides scrum penalties, in regards to not going yellow over any of the various fights that broke out and telling everyone to get on with it.

Brad Thorns only problem is he plays huge games so often that you just expect it.
Old 7th November 2010, 23:34     #10
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiBs
How many minutes of game time were wasted at scrumtime, jesus its boring!! Clock should restart once ball is out of the scrum or something cause man you lose I reckon 10mins a game plus trying to reset scrums.
I've always thought this, but they also need to make sure that people don't slow it down more because the clocks off.

SBW -12
Smith 13

I loved the front on shot of Toeava on Hape. The ball stayed in the same spot and the body went flying.

The double movement try was a shocker.
1 - Double movement
IF they considered that he got up and carried on then
2 - Did not realise the ball in the tackle
3 - The offside (which of course the Video Ref can't rule on).

I'm really surprised at how much the commentators miss. I know they will be watching it live more, but they need to use the monitors.
So many times they say the wrong thing or wonder why something is happening.

Last edited by blynk : 7th November 2010 at 23:36.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:02     #11
BoyWonder

I thought both aspects were picked up by the commentary - soon after setting off down the field they said he was at least a metre off side, and then called it a double movement straight away. The Ref though went from yep, its a try - to no, maybe held up? Oh how about we go upstairs.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:59     #12
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh
Wasnt too stoked with all the kicks we were doing behind the line on attack. WTF was up with that? wasnt the 5th tackle boys.
Why is no one putting a name to this? Obviously with Donald off the park SOMEONE had to kick some stab through grubbers in their own half to put ourselves under pressure and this time it was Mills. Nice one buddy, three times you kicked grubbers from our own half to hand possession straight back to England. Also, falling off tackles like a mofo just like last week. Nonu was missing tackles too, both pretty poor.

I thought SBW was really good, he wasn't tested on defense really though which we all knew would be his weakness but he really did nothing wrong, something that's really hard to say with an All Black on debut in the modern era so good on him. I was particularly impressed with Gear's work rate too, massive improvement over the last time he was in the All Blacks where he just expected the ball to come to him from playing so much Rugby in a dominant Hurricanes side.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:04     #13
blynk

Imagine (when healed) Jane & Gear on the wings in an open running game. It would be a marvellous sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
I thought both aspects were picked up by the commentary - soon after setting off down the field they said he was at least a metre off side, and then called it a double movement straight away. The Ref though went from yep, its a try - to no, maybe held up? Oh how about we go upstairs.
Yeah, they got that part, it was other things. Like the first time the English player caught the ball on the sideline and we got the ball. It was because he caught it infield and then ran out.
I guess they do eventually get the correct info, like when Kaino got penalised later on for coming in from the side, and they thought the penalty was for something else.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:07     #14
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I loved the front on shot of Toeava on Hape. The ball stayed in the same spot and the body went flying.
Watching the game again I noticed Toeava didn't really use his hands in the tackle. He petty much just launched his body at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
The double movement try was a shocker.
I'm still annoyed about this. At top level refs shouldn't make basic mistakes like this. It can unfairly cost teams the game eg Abs last WC.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:10     #15
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I'd also like to put in my 2c about Joe, he was pretty rubbish, a 5 min period there of butter fingers mayhem. I too would very much like to see Jane and Gear on the wings. Joe is probably best suited as outside backs cover from the bench, he is very good under the high ball these days and can play both sides and according to other players is a very good communicator which is probably better in the dying stages of a tight match.

Toeava was much improved even though he was on the wing again when really he's most at home at 15/13 or 12.

Mealamu cited. Maybe Hika will finally make his debut?! :P
Old 9th November 2010, 18:30     #16
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
The Ref wasn't confused about what he wanted to do, the commentator was an idiot. He mistook the ref putting his hand in the air and blowing 3 pips, the signal for time off, as him awarding the try. The commentary was well off their usual mark, repeatedly making wrong calls throughout the game.
Old 9th November 2010, 18:38     #17
Luse

It was confusing because of the way the ref calls for time off, he put his hand straight up which made it look like he was signalling a try then pulled it back down to make a T and kept blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVmNd64xH0 (1:40)

I thought the commentary was pretty good personally.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:44     #18
Deadmeat

Yea it was a quick call but the whistle was pretty clear. Maybe they didn't have the ref's feed in the commentary box? There was a point where we were 5m from our line, he clearly says 'coming in the side' and the commentator a few seconds later 'oh the refs got his arm out, must have been off side', ref blows, repeats his call clearly and the commentator again said it was for off side.

Unrelated, while i still hate mauls i've gotta give it to our boys for dominating at that point in the line out. They ruined it every single time England tried to get a shove on and they were really on to it about getting back into the maul again to keep up the defensive pressure.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:01     #19
ZoSo

Four weeks for Kev :/

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10686623
Old 10th November 2010, 15:55     #20
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

And Derek Harley doesn't even get a strongly worded fax from the UN....
Old 10th November 2010, 15:57     #21
Deadmeat

I want to think he was trying to drag the english out of the way, but the way he angles his head in :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yE2Ky0awsA
Old 11th November 2010, 14:22     #22
Macca@Work

It was the usual northern hemisphere game.A shit clueless ref who gave away penalties (90% of which mystified viewers) and managed to over look
the english rugby teams indiscretions (taking out players who clearly didnt have the ball ,sheperding their own players etc.)Meealamu deserved his 4 weeks.We still beat the poms-they still suck and they still whinge.I guess their chariot didnt swing low enough.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:41     #23
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Hopefully the All Blacks won't wear "Justice for Kevvy" arm bands against Scotland! lol!

Yeah he deserved 8 weeks and fair enough it was reduced to 4 for good behaviour, exactly the same punishment we all said Bakkies deserved in the Tri Nations and boo hoo McCaw not having Hartley cited, did you forget about Woodcock's shocking off the ball incident in the Tri Nations that he didn't get cited for? It cuts both ways, take it on the chin and get on with it.

I'd love to see Hika get thrown in the deep end and get a start! (see what I did there?)