Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 3rd March 2017, 18:20     #401
ZoSo

YUO=LAME

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11811458

Quote:
Labour Party candidates have been urged to clean up their social media profiles by removing potentially embarrassing pictures or comments about the party.

The directive by Labour's general secretary Andrew Kirton was accidentally sent by text message to a Newstalk ZB reporter.

It asks Labour candidates to check for any old social media posts which could "embarrass you or the Party" - even if they were taken before the person joined Labour.
Fake it, 'til you make it.

Last edited by ZoSo : 3rd March 2017 at 18:23.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:35     #402
StN
I have detailed files

Oh Clare, your wisdom belies your years...

Digital Media Minister Clare Curran caught up in fake Facebook page saga

Oh noes - somebody set up a fake page - invoke CERT!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=12036242
Old 20th April 2018, 14:53     #403
CCS
Stunt Pants

I wonder... was the fake profile actually a scam or was it a satire?
Old 6th September 2018, 10:57     #404
StN
I have detailed files

Minister for ICT - uses gmail for government business.

By that very definition, is storing NZ government data in another sovereign state.

Exhibits great communication skills by bumbling and stumbling through her responses in the house.

What time does Jacinda's flight land? The clock is ticking.

It appears bit0 has been force high permanently.

Yes - I can't even.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:17     #405
blynk

OMG, does she not pay attention.
Sure it's probably different technically, but there was a fucking big thing in the US around using personal email address.

She needs to be gone gone. Like fire her ass, not just demote her to some back bench.
Old 17th May 2019, 20:40     #406
CCS
Stunt Pants

'Car fascists' not best choice of words: Associate Transport Minister Julie Anne Genter

Classic lefty. Either you agree with us, or you're a fascist.
Old 29th May 2019, 02:12     #407
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh fuck this is gooooold

Muppets uploaded the Budget to the web early, and National noticed
Old 29th May 2019, 07:28     #408
CCS
Stunt Pants

But no, it's a hack!

Treasury announcement and wording of 'hacking' is concerning, a tech commentator says
Quote:
However, Brislen said when the word hacking is thrown around people often suspect someone behind a computer - but this isn't always the case.

"Hacking's one of those widely misused and misunderstood terms," he said.

"It could be as simple as somebody emailing the contents of a file and that is considered at the lighter end of this activity.

That's a broad definition. So what say Treasury had the Budget pages uploaded on their website and then someone from National, like, hacked the website by looking at the words with their eyes? But Treasury didn't want anyone looking at their website before Thursday and so now they're like "Come on bro, don't hack us with your eyeballs!"
Old 29th May 2019, 07:40     #409
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh fuck this is gooooold

Muppets uploaded the Budget to the web early, and National noticed
Wait, so Labour uploaded the documents to a public facing webserver and then cry because someone downloaded a publicly available document? Am i reading that correctly?
Old 29th May 2019, 10:07     #410
BoyWonder

Now they are saying they have had 2000 "attempts" in 48 hours. I'm guessing they have about the same amount of "attempts" in any 48 hour period and it is all kids sitting there running port scanners. Of course they might as well keep the bullshit going for now and they know a police investigation will take a long time and fade from view.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:47     #411
fixed_truth

Laugh

Of course Bridges turns this ammo onto himself with media focused on whether HE did anything illegal.
Old 29th May 2019, 14:26     #412
StN
I have detailed files

If I am found to manually type URLs directly into the address line of my browser, am I a person of interest?
Old 29th May 2019, 14:38     #413
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looks like Jacinda's throwing Treasury under the bus:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...budget-details
Old 29th May 2019, 14:50     #414
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Of course Bridges turns this ammo onto himself with media focused on whether HE did anything illegal.
I feel the need to roll the fallacy dice
Old 29th May 2019, 15:17     #415
fixed_truth

I think Nationals best hope here is if Bridges gets rolled.
Old 29th May 2019, 15:49     #416
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
If I am found to manually type URLs directly into the address line of my browser, am I a person of interest?

You'd basically be Julian Assange, if you go by the Treasury definition of hacking.
Old 29th May 2019, 16:41     #417
StN
I have detailed files

I reckon if the Treasury pages were there open long enough to appear in the Google scrape cache on the 26th all bets are off.

Hmm - post date before it happened?
Old 29th May 2019, 17:32     #418
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You'd basically be Julian Assange, if you go by the Treasury definition of hacking.
In fact wouldn’t it be hate speech?
Old 29th May 2019, 18:39     #419
pxpx

Quote:
I think Nationals best hope here is if Bridges gets rolled.
I find myself definitely not disagreeing with you here.
Old 29th May 2019, 19:55     #420
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
In fact wouldn’t it be hate speech?

That also!
Old 30th May 2019, 07:12     #421
StN
I have detailed files

Oh FFS - the data was findable using the sites own search function - you didn't have to use Google...

Sounds like there might be a few more vacancies in the web team coming up soon.

Last edited by StN : 30th May 2019 at 07:14.
Old 30th May 2019, 08:04     #422
fixed_truth

Holy LoLy

Quote:
The more than 2000 "attacks" appeared to have been repeated search engine queries to access that information.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:39     #423
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12235580

Quote:
(Winston Peters) said the information obtained by National had been acquired illegally.

Asked if he had seen evidence which proved this, Peters said: "Of course".

When pressed on how he knew, Peters said it was "my job to know".

"Information came to them [National] in circumstances where the behaviour was totally illegal and they should have known it," Peters, said.

"All I can tell you, whilst I'm not prepared to go public with it, is … the facts look very, very bad for the National Party."

He said Bridges had "made a right fool of himself" and, although he has predicted Bridges downfall numerous times, Peters said he expected the National leader to be "gone-burger" as a result of the saga.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:49     #424
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Oh FFS - the data was findable using the sites own search function - you didn't have to use Google...

Sounds like there might be a few more vacancies in the web team coming up soon.
Lol at the date

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1291709381/
Old 30th May 2019, 13:46     #425
CCS
Stunt Pants

YUO=LAME

Maybe Winston genuinely does believe that using a website's search function to search the content hosted on it really does constitute highly dangerous and illegal espionage?

Old 30th May 2019, 14:53     #426
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Because Labour

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12235798

Quote:
The woman on the cover of the Government's Wellbeing Budget says she had to give up New Zealand because she couldn't afford to live here - and moved to Australia.

She admitted she had given up on New Zealand.

"Honestly, I'm a single mum, so that photo is true, it's just me and my girl, that's us."

As for the photo on the cover of today's Budget, she said she initially felt it was out of context but then she saw that the Budget was all about happiness and wellbeing which both she and her daughter had now found in Australia.
Old 30th May 2019, 15:36     #427
fixed_truth

Quote:
Robertson's office said the image on the Budget cover was a stock photograph purchased by the Treasury.
That just sounds like bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Maybe Winston genuinely does believe that using a website's search function to search the content hosted on it really does constitute highly dangerous and illegal espionage?

Maybe he was meaning the legality of what National chose to do after they got hold of information they knew was confidential?

Quote:
The National Party went against the advice of a government agency by releasing sensitive Budget information accessed through a vulnerability in the Treasury's website.

But National's release of sensitive information two days out from the budget being delivered, goes against official recommendations. It was also still illegal, lawyers say.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...ul-lawyers-say
Old 30th May 2019, 17:23     #428
CCS
Stunt Pants

Whereas lawyers interviewed by other outfits are less certain. It comes down to what a judge thinks, not what Winston Peters thinks.

Personally, I think Bridges has over-egged the cake. Treasury's web nerds have been exposed as useless and Robertson and Makhlouf look like fools. But it turns out that this isn't the sort of thing that either of those two really need to resign over, despite what Bridges has been saying.

National's aggressiveness in how they handled this risks making them look like sour spoilsports. The amount of data they got from searching the Treasury website looks to be minimal. National has made more of a big deal over the fact that they got this information, rather than what the information itself actually revealed.
Old 30th May 2019, 18:48     #429
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Quote:
Treasury said that police had advised that "an unknown person or persons appear to have exploited a feature in the website search tool" - but that this did not appear to be unlawful and police would not be taking further action.
Quote:
Otago University Law Professor Andrew Geddis said ... because of the design of the website involved, and the fact the documents aren't classified or secret, no criminal offence has occured.

He assumed that the police had decided because Treasury had a public search function any search of its website had been implicitly authorised so it was not an offence.
Old 30th May 2019, 21:51     #430
fixed_truth

Quote:
The Nats have broken the law relating to Breach of Confidence.

That’s not a crime. It’s a civil claim, like defamation or negligence. But it is the law.
Police don't generally get involved in civil claims.
Old 30th May 2019, 23:43     #431
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Orwell: "News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising."
Old 30th May 2019, 23:46     #432
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

A lot of bullshit for sure, but damn, how awesome is it that this constitutes drama in NZ politics.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:57     #433
CCS
Stunt Pants

Even the GCSB told Makhlouf that Treasury hadn't been hacked. They said, there's no hack so this isn't our problem. Go talk to the police if you're still concerned. So Makhlouf went to the police and before they could get back to him, he went public, saying "We've been haxxed! Our bolts was loose and they deliberately, persistently, repeatedly twiddled our bolts!"

Makhlouf is a buffoon.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:18     #434
fixed_truth

He's probably just tech illiterate but part of me wonders if it was a deliberate political / pass the buck thing as it directed media and Joe public into conflating the 'hacking' with National having the 'illlegal' information.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:22     #435
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
He's probably just tech illiterate but part of me wonders if it was a deliberate political / pass the buck thing as it directed media and Joe public into conflating the 'hacking' with National having the 'illlegal' information.
Seriously? Of course it was deliberate.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:59     #436
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
He's probably just tech illiterate
I'm sure is tech illiterate, but he was told by the people who ARE tech literate - the National Muthafucken Cyber Security Centre of the GCSB - TOLD him it was not a hack! Then he's like, "I'm not sure. I'll call the police. See what they say." Then, before the police have even told him what they say, he's all "Ah look, I already know it's a crime. Nobody searches the Treasury website even 2 times, let alone 2000 times! The media keeps asking questions and I can't admit that we're inept, so I'll tell the, it was a haxez."
Old 7th June 2019, 13:28     #437
StN
I have detailed files

He could prove his tech savviness by releasing a Moon Monkey app that works on Huawei phones.
Old 6th July 2020, 16:26     #438
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour gonna Labour

Quote:
Covid 19 coronavirus patients' details leaked: Investigation launched as agencies scramble

Newly appointed Health Minister Chris Hipkins said a leak of confidential patient details off all active Covid-19 cases in New Zealand was "totally unacceptable" and potentially criminal.

The information included the patients names and dates of birth.

The massive breach of privacy contains the details of 18 confirmed cases, ranging from a 30-year-old woman in Auckland to a 70-year-old man in Canterbury.

It includes the personal details of the man in his 30s receiving care in Auckland City Hospital.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/...ectid=12345363
Old 7th July 2020, 13:02     #439
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Since this thread was started in part because of Clare Curran, it seems like the most appropriate place to post this:

Quote:
Sacked cabinet minister Clare Curran speaks for the first time about the brutal end to her political career – and what she calls the toxicity and bullying that marked her years in parliament. By Donna Chisholm.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/04...onna-chisholm/
Strap yourself in and feel the entitlement.
Old 7th July 2020, 14:27     #440
ZoSo

It's like the labour bros don't even know who their own people were/are.

https://twitter.com/PronouncedHare/s...53363716673536