A mariachi ogre snorkel

Spark wins RWC broadcast rights

wtf

https://www.reuters.com/article/spar...-idUSL3N1RS0HS
Old 17th April 2018, 16:00     #2
Lightspeed

Some more in-depth info here:
Spark, TVNZ secure Rugby World Cup, Women's, Sevens, U-20

Paid streaming packages, plus a selection of free-to-air games via TVNZ.
Old 17th April 2018, 16:44     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The fact that such a thing is even possible is evidence that NZ really got the broadband rollout right. For a telco to win a broadcast rights tender would be totally impossible in Australia.
Old 17th April 2018, 17:34     #4
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm not so sure about the broadband rollout being done right. There's a lot of people who will miss out because their internet is sucks. That said, if they already have Sky then they can get Freeview satellite and still watch the free games.
Old 17th April 2018, 17:35     #5
CCS
Stunt Pants

Okay, 'a lot' is hard to quantify, but probably more people will miss it than if it was on Sky.
Old 17th April 2018, 18:02     #6
MadMax
Stuff

Half price for Spark customers? People changing to Spark believing that's what they need to do to watch?

AMIRIGHT
Old 17th April 2018, 18:27     #7
CCS
Stunt Pants

What in the christ fuck are you talking about?
Old 18th April 2018, 07:24     #8
fixed_truth

Can't wait for Netflix to dip into their billions and buy up sports rights.
Old 19th April 2019, 19:47     #9
fixed_truth

Spark Sport names its Rugby World Cup price

Quote:
People will be able to watch the entire Rugby World Cup on Spark Sport for $59.99 if they take advantage of a "super early bird special" that will go on sale next month, Spark has announced.
Pretty reasonable .

Quote:
Twelve matches including all All Blacks' pool games and its quarter-final – assuming the team qualifies – as well as the semifinals and final will also be broadcast free-to-air on TVNZ 1.

The semifinals and final and four other games will be shown live by TVNZ, with the other five "free" matches, including the All Blacks' pool games and a potential quarterfinal screening with a one-hour delay.
This will probably be good enough for most people.
Old 21st September 2019, 08:12     #10
The Edge

Anyone see the stream last night? How was it? Picture/sound/commentary, etc?
Old 22nd September 2019, 14:06     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Rugby World Cup free-to-air today after Spark streaming fail during All Blacks-Springboks game
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:49     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The worst fears of Spark came true over the weekend, as issues impacted its stream of the All Blacks’ pivotal matchup with South Africa, leading to it transferring the livestream to TVNZ’s Duke. The following day it maintained the Duke service, and offered refunds to all tournament pass subscribers, while the acting PM Winston Peters branded its performance an “abject disaster”.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/23...-of-a-weekend/
Look like this has been a total cockup.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:52     #13
BoyWonder

My Bigpipe gigabit connection has been pretty much perfect apart from the odd moment that it switches to low res and then back again after a few seconds during the match. The half time ads and the panel discussion have had some lagging but that doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure if my experience is the minority or not.
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:52     #14
Lightspeed

It's possible it's just as they say:

Quote:
The source maintains that the platform has worked flawlessly, and believe they have subsequently tracked the problem down. My Spark source refused to name the provider, but The Spinoff understands it is industry giant Akamai. The source maintains that an “internet gateway got overloaded”, due in part to the game’s timing – Saturday night is already a moment of heavy streaming for New Zealand – and that the streams will be split over multiple gateways in future.
Still, even if every subsequent game is flawless, we may have more reason than one to be holding our breath during the final.
Old 24th September 2019, 00:41     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Acting Prime Minister Winston Peters says Spark's streaming of last night's World Cup match between the All Blacks and South Africa was an "abject disaster".

And he has vowed that the Government will get to the bottom of the issue.
It's almost as if the Government has a financial stake in a traditional broadcast TV network
Old 24th September 2019, 14:42     #16
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It's possible it's just as they say:

Still, even if every subsequent game is flawless, we may have more reason than one to be holding our breath during the final.
Its live on TVNZ1, so why bother with the streaming at that point (same with the SF).

The only benefits of Spark Sport.
If you want to watch all the games, or you support a different country.
You desperately need to watch the AB pool games live, rather than wait an hour
You want to watch the QF Games that NZ are not involved in.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/rugby-w...match-schedule
Old 7th October 2019, 21:45     #17
The Edge

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/116...action-lawsuit