Bit surprised this not posted already.... :/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/new-...-uncomfortable
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:48     #2
_Incubus_

Thumbs up

meh, hardly news...well deserved IMO
Old 4th January 2012, 11:52     #3
MrTTTT

should reserve knighthoods for shit that really matters - humanitarian service, cure for aids, etc. Fuck rugby.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:34     #4
leadinjector

as much as i enjoy rugby i do feel that handing out knighthoods for this sort of thing really lessens the meaning of it.

what im saying is that unless you own a suit of armour and have more than a few slaves, you should have nothing coming.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:34     #5
xor

AB coach is more important than the PM imo.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:44     #6
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
should reserve knighthoods for shit that really matters - humanitarian service, cure for aids, etc. Fuck rugby.
Yeah the Todd family totally earnt their most recent (of 3) knighthoods...oh and no one really cares about Rugby..it only injected a billion in to the NZ economy and is something as a nation we have been trying to do since 1987
Old 4th January 2012, 21:56     #7
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
AB coach is more important than the PM imo.
TRUTH!!!!!
Old 4th January 2012, 21:59     #8
CCS
Stunt Pants

Personally, I would've waited a lil' longer before giving him the award but I guess the govt of the day feels they gain some prestige from having been the ones to recognise Henry's efforts.

Y'know, people might deride a the concept of a rugby coach getting a knighthood, but rugby is hugely influential here whether you like it or not. He achieved some that was pretty great for the national psyche, which nobody else has managed for 24 years, and was a timely event for those in Chch to take their minds off recent natural disasters.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:37     #9
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
He achieved some that was pretty great for the national psyche
I don't disagree. But I reckon the priorities of the national psyche are pretty fucked up (not just NZ of course). And knighting rugby people certainly ain't gonna change it!
Old 5th January 2012, 21:50     #10
Lightspeed

I have no issue with honouring sporting legends. I just reckon if anyone should get a knighthood for rugby, it's Buck.

At the end of the day I am sure rugby would be here without him, but I doubt we (and the world) would care about rugby the way we do without him.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 5th January 2012 at 21:51.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:04     #11
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
I don't disagree. But I reckon the priorities of the national psyche are pretty fucked up (not just NZ of course). And knighting rugby people certainly ain't gonna change it!
Yeah the todd family totally earnt theirs (3) through oil and being rich.......
Old 5th January 2012, 22:31     #12
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Yeah the todd family totally earnt theirs (3) through oil and being rich.......
i have no idea who the todd family is so if you're trying to make a point you really need to say out front
Old 6th January 2012, 13:25     #13
_Incubus_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Corporation

I think Graham Henry is far more deserving of a knighthood than the 3 Todd family members to get knighthoods who are basically rich wankers that own a major stake in the oil and gas business in NZ.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:56     #14
MrTTTT

Probably neither are deserving.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:58     #15
xor

lemme get this straight. You're in the rugby sub forum trying to talk shit about Ted? You must be a lonely cunt irl.