NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 30th January 2008, 13:04     #521
Spore

Just recently read The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Avoid like plague... 662 pages off rollicking dialogue where nothing happens.. ever .

Reading Atonement at the moment, only 1/4 the way through it but it's interesting so far. After that I'm thinking of Saturday, and maybe Ghostwritten/Number 9 Dream (David Mitchell).
Old 30th January 2008, 15:05     #522
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
I see they're turning it into a TV series now
http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/01/29/th...s-comes-to-tv/

I look forward to whole episodes dedicated to Richards monologues on the virtues of Goodkind's crackpot philosophy!
Ugh, not sure if I would want to watch it. The first of the series were ok but they went downhill quite rapidly into "Goodkind's crackpot philosophy". I stopped reading the series at 'Naked Empire'.

I also agree with the articles author where he says "but I always considered The Sword of Truth a derivative of The Wheel of Time. The series shared too many similarities, especially in early volumes of Sword to be mere coincidence.". When I started reading The Sword of Truth I was constantly thinking that it was close to an exact copy.
Old 30th January 2008, 20:03     #523
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm 1/3 of the way through, and I think I've already figured out the twist at the end.

Boo.
Bloody great book, once you get your head around it. Not for the chronically tired!
Old 31st January 2008, 00:13     #524
Hooker

started 'Welcome to Hell' - Colin Martin, guy who got conned/owned in Thailand...so far so good, don't really want to go to Thailand now! :|
Old 31st January 2008, 09:32     #525
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
Just about to start Belgariad 5 - Enchanter's End Game.

Liking the series - short, but a good story, compelling characters, and I'm a sucker for fantasy settings.

I suspect I'll be starting on the Mallorean series afterwards, or perhaps the two 'prequels' (Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress)
If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend the Sparhawk series (Elenium etc).
Old 31st January 2008, 10:59     #526
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
Old 2nd February 2008, 21:45     #527
cyc
Objection!

A People's Tragedy: History of the Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes. Two words: utterly sensational.
Old 2nd February 2008, 21:51     #528
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm 1/3 of the way through, and I think I've already figured out the twist at the end.

Boo.
And it's still one of my favorite books ever. I just really like the way it's been written - the imagery that is build and the empathy you build with the characters. It's great!

(IMO, of course)

But yes, the outline of the plot is a little predictable... but if I was THAT overly worried about predictability I'd never watch a movie or read another book ever again.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:41     #529
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Iain M. Banks, Matter. His latest Culture novel.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:48     #530
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reac
Iain M. Banks, Matter. His latest Culture novel.
We just picked that up yesterday, my fiance is reading it currently - I'm looking forward to it (love most of the culture stuff).

Currently reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson - 1st volume of the Baroque Cycle... Pretty typical Stephenson with lots of interesting technical information mixed with a good (if loose) interpretation of history.

Pixie
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:14     #531
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and it was bloody brilliant. Short, but funny and sad. It's a murder mystery spoken in the first person by a 15-year-old boy with autism.

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incide.../dp/1400032717
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:20     #532
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Currently reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson - 1st volume of the Baroque Cycle... Pretty typical Stephenson with lots of interesting technical information mixed with a good (if loose) interpretation of history.
Twins! Just came home last week to all the books I left in Welly and figured I am back in the country just long enough to get through the cycle.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:23     #533
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and it was bloody brilliant. Short, but funny and sad. It's a murder mystery spoken in the first person by a 15-year-old boy with autism.

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incide.../dp/1400032717
That sounds like the book equivalent of "the band I like is soooo indie plus they don't have a drummer, they have a member who plays an electronic triangle and they only speak elvish between songs."
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:24     #534
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend the Sparhawk series (Elenium etc).
Well he's read the Belgariad, so I'd say he could save himself the money and just re-read that, since they're pretty much the same story...
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:37     #535
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
That sounds like the book equivalent of "the band I like is soooo indie plus they don't have a drummer, they have a member who plays an electronic triangle and they only speak elvish between songs."
The protagonist is a kid with autism, not the author
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:42     #536
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
I thought it was a very good book. Wasn't going to read it at first, thought it sounded kind of wank but got desperate for something to read by the pool over summer so stole it off my flatemate and ended up really enjoying it.
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:50     #537
Torka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Well he's read the Belgariad, so I'd say he could save himself the money and just re-read that, since they're pretty much the same story...
Haha word. I forced myself halfway through the Elenium waiting for it to change but gave up. It's the exact same story with the exact same characters.
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:57     #538
LordP

Well, I'm about halfway through the first of the Tamuli series, and have noticed some similarities - not going to give up just yet though. Plus they're library books, I'm not losing any money
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:47     #539
Ajax
Architeuthis

Not a book as such, but I just read the original 80-odd-page scriptment for James Cameron's upcoming film 'Avatar'. This is going to be one hell of a movie if he manages to get all those wild ideas up on screen. It also sounds like it would be the most expensive film ever made.
Old 23rd February 2008, 06:37     #540
Nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Not a book as such, but I just read the original 80-odd-page scriptment for James Cameron's upcoming film 'Avatar'. This is going to be one hell of a movie if he manages to get all those wild ideas up on screen. It also sounds like it would be the most expensive film ever made.
I saw something on the new virtual set - realtime 3d digital integration filiming technique pj/weta developed that apparently Cameron is utterly sold on, and is filming avatar in Welly ?
Old 26th February 2008, 22:53     #541
Asriel

This is not a drill;just another glorious day in the oilfield - Paul Carter

The follow up to 'Don't tell Mum I work on the rigs, She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse'.

The previous book was really good, some great stories. Not literature, mind, but a good read nonetheless.
Old 26th February 2008, 23:07     #542
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemises
I saw something on the new virtual set - realtime 3d digital integration filiming technique pj/weta developed that apparently Cameron is utterly sold on, and is filming avatar in Welly ?
That's how Peter worked out the camera angles for the cave troll encounter in Fellowship wasn't it?
Old 27th February 2008, 03:12     #543
Nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
That's how Peter worked out the camera angles for the cave troll encounter in Fellowship wasn't it?
That's what I figured aswell..a highly refined version anyway (that hopefully doesnt require a whole sound stage and 30 camera mocap system to track)
Old 27th February 2008, 10:32     #544
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The protagonist is a kid with autism, not the author
Fair enough Wasn't making any comment on the quality of a book I haven't read, just for the record.
Old 27th February 2008, 11:11     #545
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"The October Horse". Countdown to the assassination of Julius Caesar and the rise of the Empire.
Old 27th February 2008, 16:33     #546
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

"No god but God:The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam" by Reza Aslan.

Great read, and a nice break from the fluffy sci-fi trash I usually indulge in
Old 27th February 2008, 20:09     #547
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm just starting A Town Like Alice (Nevil Shute).
Old 27th February 2008, 21:18     #548
rubberchicken

The Planets by Dava Sobel (again)
Old 27th February 2008, 22:08     #549
Gentl e

The Feng Shui Detective's Case Book - Nurry Vittachi.

Pretty fun easy read, and a nice break from steady sci-fi diet.
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:18     #550
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. Clancy can be a bit hit and miss with his writing style (Patriot Games anyone?) but so far I'm not finding this one to be too cringe-worthy.
Ok so I finally finished it! There definitely were cringe moments galore, lots of Team America-type patriotism, plenty of misinformation about the Chinese, but I am impressed with how he captured the lack of free thought amongst CCP cadres. This was almost a page-turner, but unfortunately Clancy has a way of spending pages farting on in minute detail about ICBMs or other such shit that the average reader doesn't understand. Certainly no Hunt For Red October or Clear and Present Danger, but not all that bad either.

Am just about to start Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang (Wild Swans) and Jon Halliday. It's been absolutely ridiculed by the academic community which is why I'm so keen to read it.
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:28     #551
Bent

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry.

Started and finished it when I was in hospital last week, I'm sure it did nothing for my state of mind while I was in there. It's a fantastic read, but it's been quite a while since a book made me quite so miserable in a despairing-for-humanity kind of way.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:08     #552
eff tee

I've just read The Catcher In The Rye again after over 20 years.

Didn't like it this time round either. Bored me to death.
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:18     #553
StN
I have detailed files

"The Essential Buyer's Guide - Porsche 928" by David Hemmings.

It has nice pictures.
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:12     #554
Trigga*happY

Janny Wurts - Curse of the Mistwraith... Was a lot better the first time round, this time i'm finding it a bit hard not to skim read through the wads of unnecessary detail.

Probably reread the R.E.Feist books soon.
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:40     #555
[Malks] Pixie

The United States of Dave - by a friend of mine. It's the third draft of his second novel and I'm enjoying it a lot!

Pixie
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:28     #556
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Saga of the Seven Suns - I'm up to book 3 so far. It's pretty good really, but did take basically the first book to get going.
Old 10th April 2008, 00:30     #557
Hooker

Freakonomics - quite interesting, takes you down the "don't think something is so just because it makes moral/common sense", content by US economist Steven Levitt.

GT, I'm not too clued up on actuarial tasks...but have you read this book and what are your thoughts?

Will finish reading Theory of Poker after this, then Black Swan...
Old 10th April 2008, 00:41     #558
dead goon

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
Old 21st April 2008, 17:18     #559
Kryten

So I picked up my first Terry Pratchett book (Colour of Magic, natch. And yes, I'm ever so slightly ashamed that it's taken me this long).

I think I'm hooked.......someone want to lend me all of them?
Old 21st April 2008, 17:48     #560
chiQ
Frag-muff

Kryten, I have all but the latest one, if you want to borrow them. Mail me. The address is my handle at nzgames.com