Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th January 2007, 09:47     #81
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
That's the one with the Nazi army submerged in Swiss lakes and lots of rooting on a submarine and Dillinger and his monster kooz? I think that took me the good part of a year to try and chew through.
Yeap thats the one :-)

Pixie
Old 8th January 2007, 09:50     #82
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemebond
Passion is not a bad thing. Being passionate about ignorance and stupidity is ?and? bad thing.
Hahahaha. That's awesome.

Currently reading:

Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander, Thomas Merton
And a whole bunch of O'Reilly books about SQL Server, VB.NET, C#, and ASP.NET.
Old 8th January 2007, 10:27     #83
xus

Just finished : The Night Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko
Pretty good.

Started reading: Clarkson on Cars - Jeremy Clarkson. Read a few chapters of this apparently 'laugh out loud' book and it hasn't even got a giggle from me. He just comes across as a cynical old bastard.. but then again maybe that's what he is.

Have lying in waiting:
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
Eldest - Christopher Paolini
Off the Front Foot - Mark Inglis
Sunday Star Times Short Storys - read a few, not bad.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:03     #84
caffiend

Oh man, I can't wait for this: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3924075a1860.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 pence and ha'penny
"These. . . are the kinds of dramas me and my crew have been dealing with our whole lives: death, deceit, double-crosses, ultimate loyalty, and total betrayal," the New York-born rapper, know as "Fiddy" to fans, said in a statement.

"It's about our life on the street and no one knows it better than us."
He's so gangsta it hurts.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:56     #85
Mabd

Devil grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xus
Just finished : The Night Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko
Pretty good.
I just started reading this - my wife got it as a present. I got 26 pages in before she slapped me on the hand and said OI! NO!

Now I have to wait until her slow ass finishes it. *sigh*

Having said that... I have the movie (and enjoyed it) and the book is shaping up to give me some "oh ok!" moments that the movie didn't really explain. Looks good.

I am now currently reading the Weis and Hickman "Darksword" trilogy, which I don't remember enjoying as much as the Dragons trilogy. But hey.

Also, reading this thread has made me want to pick up Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained and the "Empire" series by Feist/Wurts.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:03     #86
Helious

I should start reading books.. This thread fascinates me.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:21     #87
xus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabd
I just started reading this - my wife got it as a present. I got 26 pages in before she slapped me on the hand and said OI! NO!

Now I have to wait until her slow ass finishes it. *sigh*

Having said that... I have the movie (and enjoyed it) and the book is shaping up to give me some "oh ok!" moments that the movie didn't really explain. Looks good.
I'd heard there was a movie, glad you said it was good..hopefully my local vid store will have it!
Old 10th January 2007, 14:23     #88
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xus
I'd heard there was a movie, glad you said it was good..hopefully my local vid store will have it!
They likely will - but take the time to try and hunt down the international version (I think) which has the animated subtitles as it makes quite a difference (IMHO).

Pixie
Old 10th January 2007, 14:23     #89
xus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
I should start reading books.. This thread fascinates me.
may I recommend, Crossstich - diana galbadon.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:45     #90
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xus
You're such a girl.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:57     #91
Helious

Quote:
Originally Posted by xus
MoM.flip~ why do you mock me??
Old 10th January 2007, 15:04     #92
Cyberbob

It's no novel, but I just read Arthur C. Clarke's ‘‘The Star’’

Awesomness.
Old 11th January 2007, 19:10     #93
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Thumbs up

I've started reading Winston Grooms "Forrest Gump" and got his sequel "Gump and Co".

Although I am a big fan of the movie the book is a hilarious read. Not just the little giggle and thats funny - but rather the 'laugh out loud and people look at you funny' funny.

Fantastic.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:18     #94
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native
I've started reading Winston Grooms "Forrest Gump" and got his sequel "Gump and Co".

Although I am a big fan of the movie the book is a hilarious read. Not just the little giggle and thats funny - but rather the 'laugh out loud and people look at you funny' funny.

Fantastic.
Ooh, good to know. I'll try and find those

I've read some chick-books since I last posted, and now I'm restarting the Harry Potters to line up for the release of the last book. One of the guys at work was asking me about the sixth one today, and I couldn't remember a damned thing apart from the death of whosafudge. I reckon I need a refresher
Old 11th January 2007, 21:38     #95
Kryten

Having a 1 month old baby really puts the brakes on your reading at home, I'm almost looking forward to going back to work next week so I can read on the train.

Finally got done with Mystic River (the book that became the movie which Sean Penn won the Oscar for) - fantastic stuff, although very different from Lehane's other works.

Struggling with American Gods to be honest, but I'll give it a good go next week.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:43     #96
Toksin

Night Watch is an awesome book
Old 11th January 2007, 21:54     #97
blur^

Troy - David Gemmell
Old 11th January 2007, 22:00     #98
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toksin
Night Watch is an awesome book
Is it easy to find here in NZ? Might have to go for a look see tomorrow.
Old 21st January 2007, 17:22     #99
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Thumbs up

Not so much reading, but they are lectures so it kinda counts;

The Amazing Meeting(s) 1 --> 4

http://www.randi.org/amazingmeeting/
Old 21st January 2007, 17:43     #100
Toksin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Is it easy to find here in NZ? Might have to go for a look see tomorrow.
I got mine off www.fishpond.co.nz
Old 21st January 2007, 18:29     #101
Ezekiel 25:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xus
Have lying in waiting:
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
That's what I'm reading next I think. Just finished a book called "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. It's hard to describe exactly what it's about but its kind of using data to tell interesting stories. For instance - how teachers and Sumo's are like eachother (it's about how they both cheat) or what the book is best known for: their thesis that the drop in crime rate over recent times was because of legalised abortion.
Old 21st January 2007, 18:49     #102
Stilgar
Rough Joker

Just finished the Foundation series... pretty cool.

Need more.
Old 21st January 2007, 21:41     #103
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm up to the fourth Harry Potter; around halfway through it.
Old 22nd January 2007, 00:27     #104
BathTub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
Not so much reading, but they are lectures so it kinda counts;

The Amazing Meeting(s) 1 --> 4

http://www.randi.org/amazingmeeting/
That's on this weekend, wish I was there.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 24th January 2007, 22:21     #105
Kryten

Just got done reading "Typhoon" by Robin White - it's about a thought-to-be-destroyed Russian Typhoon submarine being recommissioned and sold to the Chinese by the Ruskies and the ensuing chase - it's a little bit Crimson Tide/Hunt For Red October but quite enjoyable nonetheless. It reads a bit like early Patrick Robinson, which isn't a bad thing. I'll be grabbing his other books when I can find them.

Night Watch is reserved at the local library for me, thanks NZG
Old 25th January 2007, 07:01     #106
chiQ
Frag-muff

Just finished The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore and Goblet of Fire (HP), and started From Hell by Alan Moore and Order of the Phoenix (HP).
Old 25th January 2007, 08:16     #107
[Malks] Pixie

Currently just picked up "The Widows Son - The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles Volume 2" by Robert Anton Wilson (RIP).

Good read, find it amusing that there are pages where theres more footnotes than story - but it all adds to the read.

Pixie
Old 25th January 2007, 08:20     #108
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

On our holiday (and still going) I've been reading The Hobbit out loud to the ragrats.....don't think we'll get it finished before they have to go back
Old 25th January 2007, 08:22     #109
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
and now I'm restarting the Harry Potters to line up for the release of the last book.
hmmm... good idea .... might do the same
Old 25th January 2007, 09:19     #110
blynk

Thought I might add to the conversation.
I am currently reading Animal Farm (Wife is teaching it this year so I thought I would give it a read)
And Liseys Story (Stephen King)
Old 25th January 2007, 09:21     #111
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
On our holiday (and still going) I've been reading The Hobbit out loud to the ragrats.....don't think we'll get it finished before they have to go back
So worth while to do - my mother read me The Hobbit when I was young and it was the thing which promted me to get into reading!

Pixie
Old 25th January 2007, 09:31     #112
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

I'm glad no one read me LOTR when I was young. I may have vowed to never read again.
Don't get me wrong ... good story and all but there are parts that are painfully boring.
Old 25th January 2007, 09:38     #113
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Definitely agree re LOTR.... but Hobbit is a LOT easier going for the wee ones (and me too for that matter!)
Old 25th January 2007, 09:39     #114
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
I'm glad no one read me LOTR when I was young. I may have vowed to never read again.
Don't get me wrong ... good story and all but there are parts that are painfully boring.
Ummm LOTR is quite different to The Hobbit. The Hobbit is written primarily a kids story and misses out a lot of the history which is included in LOTR - it's much more basically written and is definatly aimed at kids.

Pixie
Old 25th January 2007, 11:34     #115
Kryten

For what it's worth, I've given up on American Gods. I realise it supposed to be awesome etc, but I just could not get interested in it. And it's pretty rare for me to give up on any book.
Old 25th January 2007, 15:56     #116
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

http://richarddawkins.net/article,56...rey-NYTimescom

^ Compulsory reading.
Old 26th January 2007, 06:58     #117
chiQ
Frag-muff

My mother read me the Hobbit a few times when I was little. I loved it
Old 26th January 2007, 07:02     #118
Nerral

Quote:
Yeah I'm reading the God Delusion right now, pretty much the best book ever.

Also I have downloaded every single X-Men and X-Men related comic ever and I'm slowly making my way through them. Started at about 1994, early shit was just too painful.
Old 26th January 2007, 09:53     #119
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerral
Also I have downloaded every single X-Men and X-Men related comic ever and I'm slowly making my way through them. Started at about 1994, early shit was just too painful.
Dude, where did you get them from? I had a look last year and couldn't find alot.

I have those first Xmen ones from 94 somewhere. The first issue came with 4 different covers. Didnt realise it at the time and brought them. Was disappointed when I found out I really only had 1 comic.
Old 26th January 2007, 16:23     #120
Mabd

Devil grin

5 Covers. 4 individual covers made up the 5th special edition cover of all 4 folded up (X-Men 1a through 1e).

It was about then, during the "cover madness" days of cromium foil, indented, special etc covers, that I gave up collecting comics. Paying near $10 for every 25th issue and up $15 or more for 50th or 100th issue was ludicrous (normal price was around $3.75). I still loved the content, just wasn't prepared to pay that much extra for bullshit covers.

As for what I'm reading now:

Stephen Erikson's "Fallen of the Malazan" series. Liking it very much.