NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 2nd September 2015, 12:44     #121
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Silver fern on black has been the flag Kiwis use for ever though. It's our unofficial flag already, can't see why it isn't under consideration for official recognition. And whatever flag wins this shit-ass contest, everyone's going to keep on using the silver fern anyway.
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:51     #122
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It's our unofficial flag already
It's our unofficial Sport Flag, in particular, Rugby Flag. It's been that way for so long because it's been riding on the coat tails of our successful rugby team and every other Sport Team has said "Hey, let's also have a silver fern on a black background because SPORT!"
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:57     #123
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Good enough for war graves of Kiwi ANZACs, good enough for me.
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:12     #124
pxpx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyathea_dealbata
Old 2nd September 2015, 18:29     #125
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Good enough for war graves of Kiwi ANZACs, good enough for me.
Bahahahhaha, cheap shot. We're not talking about the same depiction of the fern.

Last edited by CCS : 2nd September 2015 at 18:31.
Old 2nd September 2015, 23:36     #126
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Just can't believe plain ol silver fern on black isn't a finalist.
Copyright NZRFU I believe.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:34     #127
Brutus

Their copyright/trademark is just of their particular depiction of the fern?
Not of the fern in general?
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:16     #128
CCS
Stunt Pants

Correct ^
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:37     #129
CCS
Stunt Pants

Here are some good uses of the fern motif which don't involve slapping down a commercial logo in a centre of a rectangle:

They're actually part of an overall design and have something of a reverent, sovereign, even flaggy feel to them.

Before some mouthbreather thinks I'm saying that a coat of arms style design be used for a flag: I'm not. I saying there are other ways of using the fern that don't involve grabbing a symbol that appears as a commercial trademark on a variety of products and then pulling that up a flag pole.

We can do better.
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:10     #130
fixed_truth

Principles of Flag Design - (Designers Institute of New Zealand)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENhOnfD82M
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:29     #131
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Here are some good uses of the fern motif which don't involve slapping down a commercial logo in a centre of a rectangle:

[snip]

They're actually part of an overall design and have something of a reverent, sovereign, even flaggy feel to them.

Before some mouthbreather thinks I'm saying that a coat of arms style design be used for a flag: I'm not. I saying there are other ways of using the fern that don't involve grabbing a symbol that appears as a commercial trademark on a variety of products and then pulling that up a flag pole.

We can do better.
Too fucking right - but again this is what happens when there's no one that actually knows dick about flag design in the committee.

Old 3rd September 2015, 12:37     #132
spigalau

Oh Cock.....

Old 3rd September 2015, 12:40     #133
Ajax
Architeuthis

Here's my proposal for getting around the fern copyright. The dead fish represents, oh I don't know, our diminishing marine resources or something.

Old 3rd September 2015, 13:02     #134
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Love your work Ajax. That is a flag I could get behind.
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:43     #135
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11506892

Quote:
The silver fern is unique in two ways: the colour of its reverse side and its botanical divisions (pinnates).

A silver fern has three degrees of scale - its branches, leaves and leaflets - each containing a similar shape but in different proportions. Those closely grouped pinna are almost symmetrical.

Maori marvelled at the artistry of nature in the silver fern. The maturing and unfurling fern has been adapted in wood carvings as a koru.

The huia's black, white-tipped feather is a symbol of rank and mana.

If we are to recognise our history and use national symbols, we ought to get them right. Kyle Lockwood's silver fern is a generic, two-divisional plant fern that can be found on every continent.

I can understand various representative bodies adapting the silver fern for their brand. I saw a silver fern shape made out of oars to represent a national rowing team, which is understandable. But having a silver fern design on a national flag that bears little resemblance to an actual silver fern is just sloppy.
Old 5th September 2015, 18:21     #136
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Red Peak is growing on me.
Old 5th September 2015, 18:33     #137
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Red Peak is growing on me.
It's a great flag for an oppressive post-apocalyptic regime.
Old 5th September 2015, 19:06     #138
ZoSo

Funny. After they just spammed it on prime & 3news back to back, I was thinking how adorable it was that most media types in nz have such a dismal social media following, that mediaworks decided to get that excited and zoom in on "8,425" supposed supporters for the red peak flag.
But shit, sounds like it is a big enough loop and good enough story to hit and excite the expats.
Old 5th September 2015, 19:27     #139
crocos

Red Peak is better than the other designs. It's still pretty shit though.

Old 5th September 2015, 19:27     #140
nostrom0

Old 5th September 2015, 21:39     #141
madmaxii

Bastard, you beat me to it
Old 5th September 2015, 21:43     #142
nostrom0

But I still prefer red peak than the other four designs.
Old 5th September 2015, 22:31     #143
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Red Peak is better than the other designs. It's still pretty shit though.
Yep. Boring meaningless triangles.
Old 6th September 2015, 00:52     #144
fixed_truth

Let's face it. The current flag is for granddads but we're not going to agree on anything else.
Old 7th September 2015, 21:44     #145
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Can you imagine the atrocities that are going to be handed into teachers across NZ when it comes that inevitable time in school for children to draw the NZ flag?
Old 7th September 2015, 22:24     #146
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Can you imagine the atrocities that are going to be handed into teachers across NZ when it comes that inevitable time in school for children to draw the NZ flag?
So that's the criteria for a flag, being able to be drawn by a school kid? How many could draw the stars and stripes with the correct number of stars and stripes? And how long would it take them?

Let's see your rendition so we can comment? Come on, give it a go.
Old 7th September 2015, 22:33     #147
Lightspeed

But can you imagine?
Old 8th September 2015, 06:29     #148
StN
I have detailed files

Next up, I'll have to get yet another renewed drivers license because - flag changed.
Old 8th September 2015, 07:15     #149
fixed_truth

Quote:
"All existing driver licences would remain valid until their date of expiry," said Andrew Knackstead from NZTA.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11508570
Old 8th September 2015, 11:50     #150
pxpx

http://ideas.ted.com/7-fantastic-fla...y-design-rule/
Old 8th September 2015, 12:16     #151
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Most of those flags are crap.
Old 8th September 2015, 13:03     #152
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh man this guy nails it so hard:

Quote:
The selection of the final four has seen an intensifying of criticism of the coming referendums from liberal pundits. They do not like our current flag, which is not sufficiently politically correct for their tastes, but they object to the alternatives as well. This has seen a late rally behind the Red Peak design by Melbourne-based Aaron Dustin, which is now the official preference of the twittering classes.

This all comes a bit late in the game. Until now, the principal position of the liberal punditry has been to ridicule, rather than engage in, the flag debate. Toby Manhire, the Left-wing columnist who started the belated campaign forRed Flag, justified his former apathy for the consultation procedure on the basis that it made him feel “… infantilised, herded into a nationwide social studies project”.

This is a weird complaint, because many commentators have conducted themselves like ageing teenagers on the subject. They think the Blue Ensign is lame, but they also saw themselves as too cool and ironic to participate in anything so closely associated with John Key. They’ve therefore contented themselves with sardonic digs from the sidelines.

With the announcement of the shortlist, however, they seem to have suddenly realised that things are going ahead without them. They want another chance.

But it’s too late. Legislation could be passed to revise the shortlist in accordance with the tardily expressed preferences of Manhire and company. The question is why the rest of New Zealand should now trouble itself for the sake of people who until last week largely acted as if the whole process has been beneath them.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...in-flag-debate
Old 8th September 2015, 13:19     #153
Lightspeed

It might be as simple as support for the flag National didn't support.
Old 8th September 2015, 13:19     #154
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh man this guy nails it so hard:
^^ Good call.

Besides, if they got their way then we'd have 5 shitty flag alternatives to choose from instead of 4. Big whoop.

Last edited by CCS : 8th September 2015 at 13:20.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:09     #155
crocos

From my POV, I'm happy enough with the good old Blue Ensign. This probably makes me horribly unhip (as if I wasn't anyway), but the alternatives, including Red Peak, are not any better. So what the fuck, right?

Old 8th September 2015, 14:48     #156
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh man this guy nails it so hard
or not
Old 8th September 2015, 14:56     #157
Lightspeed

But that doesn't fit with the dominant narrative. Which is to say that when Labour fumbles, it's cause they're fools and when National fumbles it's radical lefties making useless noise.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:58     #158
pxpx

zzzz

tbh when you start talking about the "dominant narrative", you've lost.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:10     #159
Lightspeed

If it's about winning and losing then I lost before I even spoke up, that being the nature of dominant values.

That's the luxury of being in the position of power, you get to ignore unwanted voices because there are plenty of voices that align with your values to drown them out. And people tend to align with power.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:37     #160
BoyWonder

The red peak flag looks more like the corporate logo of a company who's name starts with A. Surely hipsters aren't really now sitting back going hmmm, yes, I like it because it has deep meaning, man, hmmm.