Old 28th July 2020, 10:48     #5162
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Seriously team, this is how it happens.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:11     #5163
blynk

There had a been a small remote chance I would have voted for Ross (like really, really small), if it was going to screw the National party, but that has definitely died when I saw that.
Old 28th July 2020, 20:09     #5164
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Seriously team, this is how it happens.
*straps self in* This is gonna be one helluva ride.
Old 29th July 2020, 21:40     #5165
The Edge

Somehow I'm reminded of the Internet Mana Party, or whatever the hell it was called. They must have had an amazing impact, I can't even remember what their proper name was.
Old 31st July 2020, 10:28     #5166
fixed_truth

Even though it's the good guys benefiting this time I still wonder if public political polls should be suspended during an election year. At this stage it's just free electioneering for Labour and meanwhile National are gonna keep bleeding support as the polls continually reinforce that they can't win. Or maybe it's just an unfortunate side effect of providing the public with information they need to make a decision.
Old 31st July 2020, 11:26     #5167
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

burnham

It seems that enough of Hager's allegations are unsupported for me to feel a bit better, and enough are accurate for me to feel pissed off.
Old 31st July 2020, 13:55     #5168
Lightspeed

Operation Burnham report: NZDF 'deeply sorry' for misleading ministers and public

Quote:
If we are to maintain the trust and confidence of the people we serve, we must be accountable
Alternatively we can conduct police raids on journalists, count on the public to write off detractors as delusional.
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:22     #5169
Lightspeed

The whole House of Lords thing in the UK seems a bit bananas to me.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:03     #5170
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is kinda hilarisad.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/books/02-08...nz-bookseller/

I like how it concludes with the staff pulling Jordan Peterson books off the shelves because feelings.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:18     #5171
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
because feelings.
I got the impression it was as much to avoid dealing with alt-right "customers" as anything, which by hiding them actually means anyone that wants that book NEEDS to deal with them, so kinda self-defeating.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th August 2020, 12:28     #5172
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Nearly half of my colleagues studied politics, we’re in the book world because we enjoy discussing ideas, and we’re low-wage earners – of course we have views, not only about the world, but about the books we sell. On occasion, that’s led to some perhaps less-than-ethical behaviour.

Jordan Peterson’s self-help book ​12 (not 20) Rules for Life​ is a good example. After becoming well-known for his views on ​free speech and gender-neutral pronouns​, Peterson was adopted as a mascot of the alt-right. Boxes upon boxes of his books arrived in our shop, and most staff weren’t thrilled.

So after selling dozens of copies to both Peterson fans and people simply intrigued by the title, a few of my colleagues had had enough and ended up hiding Peterson’s books in a cupboard behind the till. “We’ll sell them if someone asks,” they said, “but we’re not going to advertise them on the shop floor.”
Old 7th August 2020, 19:35     #5173
Lightspeed

No surprises about the state of Oranga Tamariki.

Not that we could see this coming. National were very confident in their efforts to cut out the hobby-horses, making a profit all the while. Sure, there were endless cries from those in the field about how terrible things are, but they're self-interested. Lazy most like, maybe even Maori themselves.

No doubt lots of puzzled politicians out there. Well, mostly ex-politicians now.
Old 7th August 2020, 21:43     #5174
crocos

Fixed link

Old 7th August 2020, 23:11     #5175
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Thanks.
Old 21st August 2020, 15:33     #5176
Lightspeed

I don't quite understand how the Canterbury DHB has been so dysfunctional for so long.

Canterbury DHB woes: 'Somebody needs to come to their senses'

Is it that National just typically neglects health care and Labour doesn't have much to gain by getting stuck in a quagmire in National territory?
Old 1st September 2020, 20:02     #5177
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I think your response is a shinning example of why it's important to have the conversation

While it was a bit unpolished I don't think it was anymore more 'strongly emotive' or 'assertive' or 'zero respectful' than other opinion pieces written by adults on the subject. And this is from someone who even if the age was lowered would have two more years of civics education before being eligible.
Also I though the fundamental human right line was relevant as it is a human right, the subjective age is what we agree upon as a society . . . hence why discussion.

There's some good points on both sides of the argument (eg potential lack of life experience) but for me I think that 16-17 year olds actually interested and motivated to vote are probably responsible enough.
Bump on the "voting age" issue to observe that I've come around to a position of being basically OK with extension of the franchise to 16-year-olds.
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:36     #5178
blynk

I would love to see Adern make a comment in tonights debate about Collins joking eyebrow.
"Sorry John, I think Collins left eyebrow raised, does that mean she was just joking"
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:45     #5179
StN
I have detailed files

They should retire the "worm" and just have "eyebrow inclination monitor".
Old 26th September 2020, 13:03     #5180
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I seriously do not get the Ruth Bader Ginsburg worship going on on the US left right now.
Old 26th September 2020, 15:29     #5181
Lightspeed

I'm sure to many her death feels like the final nail in the coffin of US democracy.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:39     #5182
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well then she should have retired when she was first diagnosed with cancer, back when the president was a Democrat and the House had a Democratic majority.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:44     #5183
Lightspeed

Yeah, all parties hold responsibility for the current circumstances.
Old 27th September 2020, 22:59     #5184
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I seriously do not get the Ruth Bader Ginsburg worship going on on the US left right now.
Of course they do, it. Ould become a 6-3 right leaning supreme court.
And trumps nomination is young and will be there a very long time
Old 30th September 2020, 10:02     #5185
fixed_truth

On the plus side it looks like the end of NZF. However it's a be careful what you wish for situation with Act potentially being worse for NZ. Though I suppose most of their voters will head back to National in the next cycle.
Old 30th September 2020, 17:04     #5186
pxpx

Act worse than NZF? Plz explain? But yes you're right, presuming a National/Act/Green(?) Coalition, it's unlikely they'll be able to sustain their trajectory for too long.
Old 30th September 2020, 19:32     #5187
fixed_truth

Well last time we got the terrible 3 strikes bill but yeah I like their social libertarian side but their economic libertarian side sounds good in theory but in practice everyone isn't informed & in the position to make rational decisions all the time. Some of the things I'm against are a voucher system for schools & public services, removing min wage, cutting benefits, drastically cutting taxes & public services, & putting interest on student loans. Tl:dr fuck the poors

https://m.facebook.com/NewshubNation...8958656342074/
Old 1st October 2020, 12:51     #5188
StN
I have detailed files

Watched bits of both debates(?) yesterday.

All in all not as awesome as finding out about the plaque at Endagine Maccas.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:50     #5189
fixed_truth

All this fact checking this election is pretty awesome
Old 5th October 2020, 18:34     #5190
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dammit Judith, you’re not supposed to use the inside voice on the outside

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12370348r
Old 5th October 2020, 21:32     #5191
fixed_truth

It takes away the risk of hiring people who might not have the skill of being white.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 5th October 2020 at 21:34.
Old 5th October 2020, 22:25     #5192
BoyWonder

Lol The Civilian is at it again. Wait, that's actually what she said? In real life?
Old 8th October 2020, 15:47     #5193
crocos

Time for a true Golden Dawn in Greece now that those fuckers are done for.

Old 8th October 2020, 16:42     #5194
Lightspeed

That's a bit of good news.
Old 30th October 2020, 12:13     #5195
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This just in, the totally sane UK Labour Party has suspended Jeremy Corbyn:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1422940.html

this antisemitism shit is going to hang around the party's neck for decades.
Old 7th November 2020, 00:17     #5196
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Unsubstantiated rumour around some circles is that Clarke boned the nanny, Cindi caught them red-handed, and the nanny is up the duff. But it's probably more dirty politics crap like when he was 'under investigation' a few years ago.
So I wonder where this so called pregnancy is, or is that why she pushed through the abortion law to get rid of all these babies.
Old 7th November 2020, 01:51     #5197
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yes that all sounds very plausible
Old 8th November 2020, 18:03     #5198
Lightspeed

Māori receive fewer prescriptions for common diabetes drug

Quote:
GP and Senior Fellow Dr Rawiri Keenan said the study found that it was not a case where Māori were simply not picking up their prescriptions, but rather not getting the prescription in the first place.
I'm glad they're doing this kind of research, but it stings to find out once again we've got this level of racism in our institutions.
Old 27th November 2020, 14:17     #5199
Lightspeed

NZ may be excluded from climate leaders summit

Quote:
"You have Scandinavian ambitions in terms of quality of life and public services, but a US attitude to tax. The brand 100% Pure New Zealand lulled many into a false sense of security, when the environmental reality is far more challenging."
Oof.
Old 27th November 2020, 14:58     #5200
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm sure a working group will be convened with best intentions to define some empathic terms of reference for member selection of a committee to establish targets for how inspiring Jacinda's next facebook live video will be. See? problem solved.