NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 17th June 2010, 21:51     #2121
Kanz

i think everyone just needs to chill the f out and eat some blue waffles.
Old 17th June 2010, 23:39     #2122
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
Are there any WebOS fanboys here?
I quite liked the look of it but never got my hands on one. Google has picked up the dude who did all the UI anyway.
Old 18th June 2010, 03:41     #2123
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nokia: grasping ankles.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...n-smartphones/
Old 18th June 2010, 08:25     #2124
p01s0n

Nokia could make a killing by producing high quality, intuitive, appealing featurephones.

Smartphone market is pretty saturated with people trying to be number 1, but the featurephone market is full of abysmal half-efforts from sony-ericsson, LG, samsung etc. Just have a look at the vodafone and xt handsets pages.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:52     #2125
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
Nokia could make a killing by producing high quality, intuitive, appealing featurephones.

Smartphone market is pretty saturated with people trying to be number 1, but the featurephone market is full of abysmal half-efforts from sony-ericsson, LG, samsung etc. Just have a look at the vodafone and xt handsets pages.
Yeah sony really do try this .... and most of the time fail miserably ... least their moving off WinMo ...

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 18th June 2010, 11:54     #2126
lektronimo

Quote:
Hmm, I actually agree with you on this one. Nokia has a big release coming soon in the form of N8, but even they admit it's not the 'flagship' product. Right now they are beefing up the middle end with features, but selling the hardware at pretty much cost price - 370 euro for a phone with same sized sensor as Canon G11 and Carl Zeiss lens is badass if you ask me. Software side of things needs tightening, but it's coming along nicely and Nokia does one thing as good as Apple - frequency of FW updates, even for older handsets. You can expect more features to be added in the lifetime of the phone.

So in my opinion, Nokia will have a good year and S^3 should be up to scratch before N9 and MeeGo/S^4 comes out. It just has a hard market to sell to (America, p01son, Ab), which is just a perception/marketing issue.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:14     #2127
p01s0n

Nokia should specifically target people that are not me or Ab, the people that don't even know what a smartphone or featurephone or dumbphone is. The person that wants to listen to music on thier phone, and wants to send text messages, and make phone calls, and get e-mail, and browse the net, but don't care if its through android or symbian or iOS.

They want something that looks flash and is fast and responsive and has a interface that does not need to be hacked or jailbroken or needs 3rd party apps/widgets to look good.

Being nokia, they will probably fuck it up with shitty hardware and crap touch inputs though.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:37     #2128
Rocket

All i see is that nerd going HARD down the page.

p01s0n
This message is hidden because p01s0n is on your ignore list.
p01s0n
p01s0n
p01s0n
p01s0n
p01s0n
p01s0n
p01s0n

Give it up you mega nerd. Go work on your hairdresser emergency response vehicle.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:48     #2129
?>Superman

lol
Old 18th June 2010, 12:49     #2130
Bandalador

I'VE GOT YOU ON IGNORE I'M IGNORING YOU SO I HOPE YOU KNOW YOU'RE ON IGNORE BY ME DIDDLE BREATH NAH CAN'T HEAR YOU NAH NAH NAH!
Old 18th June 2010, 12:50     #2131
Fx.

his posts on this page are actually all rather informative and level heading, no obvious fanboyism one way or another
Old 18th June 2010, 12:56     #2132
CCS
Stunt Pants

Look how much I'm ignoring you!
Old 18th June 2010, 13:10     #2133
_Incubus_

Quote:
Nokia should specifically target people that are not me or Ab, the people that don't even know what a smartphone or featurephone or dumbphone is. The person that wants to listen to music on thier phone, and wants to send text messages, and make phone calls, and get e-mail, and browse the net, but don't care if its through android or symbian or iOS.

They want something that looks flash and is fast and responsive and has a interface that does not need to be hacked or jailbroken or needs 3rd party apps/widgets to look good.

Being nokia, they will probably fuck it up with shitty hardware and crap touch inputs though.
Dont forget they will try to ram a fucking shitty OS down ppl's throats. Just so 1996 symbian..when the fuck are they going to update it.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:11     #2134
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Rocket.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:12     #2135
lektronimo

Quote:

I think they are already, which is probably why they are concentrating on media capabilities of N8, and not really putting the emphasis on S^3 which isn't even done yet, and will be replaced with S^4 and MeeGo in 2011.

So far the capacitive screen seems to be getting good feedback from beta testers and early reviews, and hardware has aluminium unibody so it seems solid enough. Basically it's really down to the software to be finalized, and they will sell a shitload of them at that price - just not in US.

The way I see this is:

Five band 3G
Free turn-by-turn world navigation
Gorgeous photos and video with stereo recording
Unibody, and capacitive screen
Fucking cheap for amount of stuff you get at 370 euros

Basically it's an ideal travel phone for me. If the price was closer to iphone, I'd probably not even look at another Nokia for a while. My two cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Dont forget they will try to ram a fucking shitty OS down ppl's throats. Just so 1996 symbian..when the fuck are they going to update it.
In four weeks, and again in 2011. Btw, as opposed to Apple ramming you how many operating systems? One? Good day sir!

Last edited by lektronimo : 18th June 2010 at 13:16.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:15     #2136
p01s0n

That N8 looks like an awesome alternative to full-on smartphones.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:24     #2137
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Btw, as opposed to Apple ramming you how many operating systems? One? Good day sir!
Can someone translate this for me?
Old 18th June 2010, 15:44     #2138
PhX

Im going to put it out there, the threads has turned to shit it better when they were seperate (mostly). Had actual discussions about either ios or andriod, flaming is yawn.

QUOTE=Bent]
Are there any WebOS fanboys here?
[quote]
Would be if i saw it in the flesh and they made new hardware, from what i did see it was pretty ace 18months ago
Old 18th June 2010, 15:49     #2139
nostrom0

These days the question has to be asked, just like when you buy a computer, what do you want to use your phone for?

For me, I text, make calls and check FB and email, so I bought the 5800. Does everything I need it to do at a price I didn’t mind paying for a phone.

In saying that, I wouldn't mind the new iphone4 to do exactly the same thing but there's no way I'm paying that much for a phone.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:54     #2140
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Sorry, I wasn't clear... What I meant to say in response to Incubus' "... forget they will try to ram a fucking shitty OS down ppl's throats" - each company has got their OS choice for their hardware, so it's a redundant statement to make - of course Nokia will "ram" their OS on their hardware... just like Apple will on their hardware, or any other company for that matter.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:13     #2141
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh, right, gotcha.

In a similar vein, "this phone is an asshole".
Old 19th June 2010, 01:36     #2142
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I thought it was clear. He was wishing you a good day.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:53     #2143
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I thought it was some sort of NZG T&T/Catsby and Twisp crossover.
Old 19th June 2010, 05:18     #2144
Bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh, right, gotcha.

In a similar vein, "this phone is an asshole".
Ah yes, the peculiar whinge of a WebOS user.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:16     #2145
p01s0n

"press no to cancel, why cant they use a cancel button?" seems like a pretty valid point to me.

Kind of lol how google is completely ignoring the android fragmentation issue and saying it doesn't exist, yet the OS ships with a client for exchange/pop/imap mail, and a separate client for gmail.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:36     #2146
_Incubus_

I used to be a mad keen Nokia fanatic, I even had one of those nokia 7110's, 2 x N95's and after the heap of shit the n95 was I swore never to own a nokia again.
Old 19th June 2010, 14:14     #2147
Bent

Quote:
"press no to cancel, why cant they use a cancel button?" seems like a pretty valid point to me.

Kind of lol how google is completely ignoring the android fragmentation issue and saying it doesn't exist, yet the OS ships with a client for exchange/pop/imap mail, and a separate client for gmail.
Yes, it's a valid issue, but it's also one that I really don't care about and never even noticed. After only using UI perfection of WebOS for a while, they seem to become permanently scarred when dealing with any other OS.

As for the mail client issue I agree it does seem a bit lame, but then I also don't use gmail.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:19     #2148
Yoda

Had kinda thought my next phone would be android... so tired of itunes, it's such a major negative.

However after using an older HTC Magic on 1.6 for a day, the iphone4 has become more appealling. The hardware buttons aren't intuitive to me, so many times I was swiping sideways trying to go back, or similar. I'm sure after a week or two it wouldn't be a problem, but was annoying.

Other annoying little things, like sometimes I'd tap to start typing an SMS, but it wouldn't respond... I'd have to hold my finger on the box to get it to register. Incoming texts get previewed through the top bar thing, but one line at a time, and grabbing that top bar to drag down was a challenge as well.

However no 2.1 phones on the market here yet afaik? So no idea how different it is (or the HTC Sense interface). Will see what's available to compare to when the iphone4 gets released here (presumably nothing).
Old 21st June 2010, 10:52     #2149
p01s0n

grey importers sell the likes of the desire, hero, nexus1 etc.

I don't think you can actually get any recent devices through voda, xt or 2deg though.

which is funny, because the iphone 4 will be available within 3 months of being announced.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:46     #2150
p01s0n

Although, early July the Moto Milestone will be offered on XT for $999, running android 2.1 with a commitment for 'more exciting android phones' coming in the future.

A nice commitment from telecom to further the smartphone market in NZ I think.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:49     #2151
Yoda

Quote:
which is funny, because the iphone 4 will be available within 3 months of being announced.
Yes - and with the newest tech, essentially. Quite a plus for apple.

Don't really want to go import as will be a work phone. Would like CGA/decent support etc. Looks like too much in favour of iphone to bother with importing really.

Want to read some hands on reports of multitasking on it though.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:52     #2152
p01s0n

Im running iOS4 on my 3g, jailbroken to enable 3gS features (wallpaper and multitasking - cue bites being a faggot ). The multitasking is pretty smooth, and having lots of apps open doesnt seem to slow down the device.

If anything, it seems faster and snappier. Very much looking foward to getting a nice speed increase and improved display with the iphone4 now. iOS4 looks and feels good all round
Old 21st June 2010, 12:20     #2153
Bandalador

When's iOS 4 coming out over iTunes? Today some time right?
Old 21st June 2010, 12:55     #2154
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Don't really want to go import as will be a work phone. Would like CGA/decent support etc.
CGA doesn't apply for products purchased for & by businesses. Or is it going to be a personal phone that happens to be used for work?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st June 2010, 13:18     #2155
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Or is it going to be a personal phone that happens to be used for work?
Aye.

So will iOS4's multitasking allow instant messenger programs?
Old 21st June 2010, 13:42     #2156
Bandalador

Check for update...... This version of the iPhone software (3.1.3) is the current version...... ok.

Sigh.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:46     #2157
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sorry pie, but when I see "snappier" in a review of a product update I turn off
Old 21st June 2010, 13:47     #2158
Bandalador

Did you survive a single windows 7 review then?
Old 21st June 2010, 13:51     #2159
Cowboy

I believe the iOS4 update comes out June 21st in the states which would mean tomorrow for us.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:55     #2160
Bandalador

A load of blogs and articles around the place right now are all saying "So iOS 4 is due to be up for download in a few hours time and...." etc.
?
I'm guessing they're talking about 12am 21st Jun for them which is in just a couple of hours now.