NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 11th July 2008, 10:30     #521
Yoda

Apps store getting rave reviews. Sounds like Apple's gonna get some nice turnover from that.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:59     #522
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Today, this morning especially, is "Laugh at iPhone owners" day.
Yeah did that on the way home from work last night. Ran into some friends and we were walking past the Lambton Quay vodafone store and we decided to stop and point and laugh at them (bout half a dozen people queing), was certainly quite satisfying.

Pixie
Old 11th July 2008, 11:17     #523
Juju
get to da choppa

Have already asked a workmate who got one to take a video for us...
Old 11th July 2008, 12:04     #524
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Apps store getting rave reviews. Sounds like Apple's gonna get some nice turnover from that.
yeah I think that's another trojan horse like itunes for ipod: come for the hardware, but stay for the software
Old 11th July 2008, 12:51     #525
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

I think the app store is going to be huge. There's several things about the whole appstore/itunes/iphone setup that make it better than anything any other manufacturer can come up with:

1. The itunes integration. Like it or not, running itunes is better than having a special app on your pc specifically for accessing nokia's hypothetical app store (for instance). Also itunes makes it far easier to buy apps (Buying commercial apps for my Sony Ericson a few years ago was a task in itself).

2. One central place where all app devs can get their app published. No more fucking about getting people to be able to buy it in the first place.

3. One platform. Not having dozens of different handsets to support, all with quirks and differences.

4. No fucking java. Server side programing fine, but there's no fucking way I want that crap on my phone, or as a mobile dev platform I'm working with.

Last edited by smudge : 11th July 2008 at 12:53.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:25     #526
MadMax
Stuff

i'm i reading correctly that the iphone does not do pxt nor video calling?
Old 11th July 2008, 14:27     #527
Spidey

yes you are indeed correct sir
Old 11th July 2008, 15:35     #528
Haydos

I thought there was a third party app that allowed it too?
Old 11th July 2008, 16:04     #529
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge

4. No fucking java. Server side programing fine, but there's no fucking way I want that crap on my phone, or as a mobile dev platform I'm working with.
A world without Java is a world I want to live in.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:07     #530
Jenza

Anyone that says que instead of queue needs a smack in the face.

That is all.
Old 11th July 2008, 23:20     #531
Rep

Want a free I-phone? Just take a que to the queue...
Old 12th July 2008, 10:47     #532
Drgnfire

iPhone vs. iPod touch

I have a perfectly adequate phone and much as I'd love an iPhone I can't justify it for the phone part but can for the other cool stuff.
So my question is this: Apart from Phone/TXT/GPS what can the iPhone do that an iPod touch upgrade to the latest software can't?
Old 12th July 2008, 11:31     #533
chris

Check out this thread:
http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80421

Might have some info in there.
I have a good Nokia & an iPod Touch. I still want an iPhone pretty much just so I don't have 2 gizmos in my pocket.

I don't use much other than the basic functions of either the phone or the iPod so can't help you there though.
Old 12th July 2008, 14:55     #534
QWERTY?

haha yeh i was seriously considering getting an iphone, but i dont spend even $20 a month of my current phone, so i cant justify the expense tbh, ill just get a 16gig touch tomorrow, im just about always in a wifi area (Toronto downtown has the largest outdoor wifi network in NA), if only it had a mic it'd be perfect, though you can buy them

just one thing, can it connect to mircoscum exchange servers? then i'de be totally sold

Last edited by QWERTY? : 12th July 2008 at 14:57.
Old 12th July 2008, 17:09     #535
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
I thought there was a third party app that allowed it too?
Receive PXT, yeah. Not video-calling though (no user-facing camera).

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th July 2008, 19:26     #536
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

As I guessed they didn't have enough in stock today!
Old 12th July 2008, 20:22     #537
Jamiepo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris

Are you being sarcastic or did you not realise that you linked the same thread that you posted in??
Old 12th July 2008, 20:23     #538
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiepo
Are you being sarcastic or did you not realise that you linked the same thread that you posted in??
Was a separate thread...now merged
Old 13th July 2008, 10:33     #539
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Thumbs up

It's a pretty damn good device eh.
Old 13th July 2008, 17:39     #540
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenza
Anyone that says que instead of queue needs a smack in the face.

That is all.
I love Apple fanbois.

Quote:
"Just look at this obviously innovative design," Yuki Kurita, 23, said as he emerged from buying his iPhone, carrying bags of clothing and a skateboard he had used as a chair during his wait outside the Tokyo store. "I am so thrilled just thinking about how I get to touch this."
Old 13th July 2008, 20:47     #541
doppelgänger of someone

http://www.apple.com/nz/iphone/guide...ur/medium.html

Guided tour of iphone

I slugged thru it (+30 mins), they keep pimping the pda/3g/web browsing capabilities, but from what I can see in the clip it is an absolute CRAP phone.

The deal breaker is, you can't use your thumb to do much with iphone. All other phones allow you to use your thumb to do almost anything. It is great: one hand controls the phone, the other hand is free for other stuff. But noooooo Apple got the multi touch technology and they think it is good UI for a phone. No it isn't. A lot of gestures are not designed for one hand use.

People in US using Blackberries will probably get used to it quickly since they use two hands already, but how many people in the rest of the world use Blackberries anyway? Not nearly enough.

The more I look at the demo the more I want N96: it will be a decent pda AND a decent phone. As a pda/ipod/mobile device, iphone is great, but as a phone it isn't.
Old 13th July 2008, 21:05     #542
Phantom
May contain nuts

^ trust me, it's not as crap an idea as it looks.

The UI is awesome and you CAN operate it one-handed. I even walk & text at the same time, no problems.

I love my (first gen) iphone, it's the shiz-nizzle and no mistake.
Old 13th July 2008, 21:45     #543
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I bought an 8GB one outright. I've dropped my work SIM into it and am running it without a data plan. Running cost = zero.

At home I have WiFi and that lets me see if I want to pay for a data plan. My conclusions is that there would be some benefit, but not if it costs more than $20 flat-rate per month. So, no data for me any time soon!

I came reasonably close to buying a Touch instead. But, after a few days of procrastination, I concluded that a single device had its merits (especially given the ghastly phone work provides).

Two minor issues I've noticed are:

1. The WiFi is a bit flaky even over a line-of-sight distance of under 2 meters. Interestingly, I get a more reliable connection out in the garden compared to close to the router.

2. The IPOD isn't perfect for audiobooks. The issue is that the slider to skip to the a new position is too short and it's hard to get fine control when dealing with a track that is 5+ hours long e.g. it's hard to change the position by less than 20 minutes. Granted this is a small issue given books normally continue from where they left off.

The App Store is great. Although, much of the current content is crap. I did at least manage to find an acceptable calculator (with decent RPN support).

So, phone, ipod and calculator all in one sleek device. Basically, this is perfect for me.

The only mission was buying one. I had to set off to the depths of South Auckland (Sylvia Park) and then had to deal with a semi-educated (well, I'm guessing he had been to school on the basis that everybody does normally go) salesperson who was trying to convince me the phone would be useless without a data plan.

10 Teapot stars from me.

EDIT: No 3G coverage at my house either. Another nail in the data-plan coffin...

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 13th July 2008 at 21:48.
Old 13th July 2008, 21:48     #544
doppelgänger of someone

Did you learn to use it properly or is it intuitive? (edit - re: Phantom) For me, phone with thumb control is very intuitive. Without actually playing with one (no one I know is an early adaptor), all I can see from the iPhone guided tour doesn't really impress me. Maybe I'll sway by Vodafone this week to see if they have a demo unit.

Plus Apple/Vodafone is shooting itself in the foot with outrageously expensive plan (only in NZ...) : iPhone is *designed* to be a 3G web browser (not just wifi), that's one of the selling points of 2nd generation iPhone, so data plan and iPhone goes hand-in-hand. If the data plan is crap, all the less reason to buy a iPhone.

I wanted to buy an ipod classic a month ago but decided to wait and see what iPhone can offer. ipod + phone = win, or so I thought. Now the wait is over I'm saving money to buy N96...

Last edited by doppelgänger of someone : 13th July 2008 at 21:50.
Old 13th July 2008, 22:04     #545
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

It's easy and intuitive to operate.

Yes, data goes hand-in-hand with it. However, it does what I actually want without data.

The old IPOD is on TradeMe and I expect to offset my new purchase by a noticeable amount from the proceeds.

The old work phone? Well, the bin is the right place for it. However, I'll send it in the internal mail to someone who will love it again tomorrow.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 13th July 2008 at 22:06.
Old 13th July 2008, 22:06     #546
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
1. The WiFi is a bit flaky even over a line-of-sight distance of under 2 meters. Interestingly, I get a more reliable connection out in the garden compared to close to the router.
This issue is not within the exclusive realm of the iPhone - it's a driver issue, usually.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th July 2008, 22:56     #547
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Did you learn to use it properly or is it intuitive? (edit - re: Phantom)
Super intuitive. Using a phone with qwerty keyboard = win. The software for detecting where you're touching is remarkably accurate - i can browse trademe at a size where the page fills the screen (in vertical mode) without a side scroll bar and it still can tell which of the tiny, tiny links i'm trying to go to.

No complain of product for me whatsoever, i happily use it for surfing the tubes over wifi without ever wishing i was using a pc, it's a superb quality phone (would like MMS and video calling but neither is a killing blow for my usage), the headset is excellent (although I can't wait for the sennheiser canal phone version, which is coming) and it still surprises me from time to time with a thoughful little feature I hadn't noticed yet.

Each to their own - I love mine and haven't regretted buying it for a single second. I just can't wait until I can get the new bios on it so I can use ereader, at which point in time my last need from a mobile will be complete and all in one device ^_^
Old 13th July 2008, 23:28     #548
SpikE

iphone data hack

enable iphone to use casual data on none iphone account or prepay
changes the APN

might pay to use sparingly till 27th of July when VF drop casual data rates
to $1.00 for 10mb

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/
works uses information provided in the enterprise kit

see
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...4033&page_no=3

Old 14th July 2008, 06:50     #549
Jodi

Well, I've found that the touch (and iPhone one would suppose) is great at home with wifi. it gets used check trademe, tv guide, and the odd google. Because its more portable than a lappy, its just easier to use. Most people I give it to figure out the browser straight away. Pinching and typing is dead easy.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:37     #550
s0nic

awesome..now to wait till vodafone drop their prices a bit..
Old 14th July 2008, 10:47     #551
BaM
Freeloader

Threads merged .... again.

We really don't need any more iPhone threads. You guys should get a room or something.
Old 14th July 2008, 12:36     #552
xin

If any of you iPhone users are NZHerald readers there's now a mobile version of the site. Unfortunatley the only mobile platforms it'll work on is the iPhone, and possibly opera mobile.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz

I wouldn't usually promote the Herald but I spent all last week working on it so it'd be nice to see somebody using it :3 .

You could also embed it in your Firefox sidebar I think.

[edit] Just to clarify, I didn't design it.

Last edited by xin : 14th July 2008 at 12:38.
Old 14th July 2008, 12:41     #553
QWERTY?

i wish there was a decent irc client, or something similar to pidgin, that doesnt require a mac to get it on there :\
Old 14th July 2008, 12:51     #554
xin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
i wish there was a decent irc client, or something similar to pidgin, that doesnt require a mac to get it on there :\
Tried mibbit?

www.mibbit.com
Old 14th July 2008, 14:08     #555
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xin
If any of you iPhone users are NZHerald readers there's now a mobile version of the site. Unfortunatley the only mobile platforms it'll work on is the iPhone, and possibly opera mobile.

works fine, albeit a little slow to render initially on my n95 ... safari based?
Old 14th July 2008, 14:55     #556
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xin

Works OK on Opera on my N95, speed OK with my WiFi at home.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:34     #557
xin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
works fine, albeit a little slow to render initially on my n95 ... safari based?
Yeah theres a bunch of nasty javascript that slows the page down a bit.

What browser does the N95 have by default?
Old 14th July 2008, 18:55     #558
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
... safari based?
Quote:
Fire up the Opera browser on the N95 and the race between it and the iPhone is over before it's begun - the Opera completely spanks Safari, making a virtue of the mobile-optimised interface.
according to that, it's safari (comparing safari vs safari on the n95 & iphone)
Old 15th July 2008, 02:02     #559
Madman

so it seems both my phone and mp3 player have decided to die within days of each other, plus work is subsidising iPhone purchases by $700 odd, so I have a few questions
  • I run linux (Ubuntu Hardy) at work, can I just shove my phone in and have it work? I don't particularly need the fancy features like syncing everything, I just want it to show up as a portable hard drive for me to dump stuff on.
  • Related question, I don't have a Mac at all, but do have access to Windows if necessary. Is there anything I'd be missing out on by not having OS X?
  • Will it play .m4a music that isn't secured with DRM?
  • Does it have a decent music player (like can it replace both my mp3 player and phone?)
  • Is it worth it? I don't really want an iPhone just cos it looks cool, but if it suits my needs I might drop some extra dosh on it.
Otherwise, I'll just get an el cheapo $200 phone and another MuVO mp3 player I think - this one has lasted a good 4 or 5 years, been through the wash twice and stepped on too many times to count.

Chur
Old 15th July 2008, 06:43     #560
Jodi

Dude, you're lazy. This is all answered in this thread and google.

-iPhone/touch doesn't show up as a hard drive, this causes issues for plenty of iPod programs.
-No, Macs suck.
-I assume so
-Uh, it's an iPod, of course its a decent music player
-Dude, if work is subsidising the purchase (and hopefully the monthly too), then there is no reason not to buy one.