NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 29th October 2010, 21:23     #4121
Wally Simmonds

Anyone played with a HD7 yet (or any Win7 phone, for that matter)? I'm probably looking at a Desire HD, but the HD7 has me tempted as well. Pity I have to order both in =/
Old 29th October 2010, 22:10     #4122
darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjah
offline maps is a biggie eh, and the improved gps functionality, been itching for something to handle the workload in the car. rest of the software tweaks are pretty sweet too, and of course the larger screen is a big draw also...mostly cos i don't wear stovepipe metro faggot jeans so i don't have any issues fitting a phone thats 1.5cm larger than my desire in to my pockets. obviously a biggie for some people judging from the "ZOMG ITS FAR TOO BIG" comments from people online
from what I've heard the offline maps are free, but any navigation stuff, traffic info is chargeable. only hearsay at the moment though.

reports so far are that people are getting better battery performance than the original Desire.
Old 30th October 2010, 00:00     #4123
tarzan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Simmonds
Anyone played with a HD7 yet (or any Win7 phone, for that matter)? I'm probably looking at a Desire HD, but the HD7 has me tempted as well. Pity I have to order both in =/
A workmate has the Win7 phone. It is very fast and very beautiful. The whole 'tiles' interface is really well done. The screen is a wicked size.

The only gripe he had so far is the lack of apps from the market place. But he has been raving about it - and I was equally as impressed

(currently on HTC Hero on Android 2.2 for reference)
Old 30th October 2010, 00:49     #4124
fobski

so i have a 3.7k txt string which i wish to backup and keep available.

Any suggestion on archive tools? don;t wanna delete em but wanna back em up so my phone doesn't lock up each time I open the message box :P
Old 30th October 2010, 01:24     #4125
Disinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan007
The only gripe he had so far is the lack of apps from the market place. But he has been raving about it - and I was equally as impressed
I'll reserve final judgement until I've had a decent play with one but the task management setup sounds like utter arse right now.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:25     #4126
Wally Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan007
A workmate has the Win7 phone. It is very fast and very beautiful. The whole 'tiles' interface is really well done. The screen is a wicked size.

(currently on HTC Hero on Android 2.2 for reference)
Yeah, the apps thing should change - and hopefully reasonably quickly. The Omnia doesn't look too bad either (looks pretty much identical to the Galaxy really).

I dunno, I've got an ipod with 4.01 and it runs alright - it does everything pretty well apart from the 'phone' bit so I guess I'm easily impressed. I wouldn't mind a Windows phone, but I guess its a bit of a gamble.

I can see W7 becoming more prevalent in the workplace (one of our clients has completely rejected using Android, but has looked at the use of iphones in the workplace!)
Old 30th October 2010, 13:04     #4127
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 30th October 2010, 13:26     #4128
doppelgänger of someone

PSP + phone = PSPhone?
Old 30th October 2010, 13:26     #4129
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
[IMG]http://www.fakesteve.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/44700_460.jpeg[IMG]
lol awesome
Old 1st November 2010, 12:26     #4130
Rocket

Jeez i used google nav in the weekend in the car, turn by turn with voice ? for free? NICE! Worked real well even had traffic. Made my trip up to avoka a walk in the park.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:25     #4131
lambchop

really looking for a dumbed down touch phone that is good for older parents, and cheep.

tried a blackberry ... keys are too small to use or see ...

so yeh have these two in mind, dads on a xt plan so phone would have to support at least 3G on 850mhz:

Nokia 5230 $349 on XT

http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pa...hly/nokia-5230

IDEOS U8150 $375 on 2 degrees

https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/shop?p_p_id=konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_url_type=1 &p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__spage=%2FSelectProd.do %3FprodId%3D73&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__sorig=%2FSelectCat.do%3Bj sessionid%3D122F513A502BF45DA806E6AB12C1F955.Shop2%3FcatId%3D21

the android looks the WAy better bet HW wise ..almost a no brainer ... but ... after the blackberry exp i'm thinking a dumber phone might actually be better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrZ3...eature=channel

screen is big, keyboard in landscape looks simple and easy to see ... seriously wont be using this for the net ..basically looking for something thats gonna make texting as easy as poss ... reckon this is it.

any other recomendations in the $250 - $350 bracket that'll do XT 850MHz freqs?
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:25     #4132
[BT]Monza

Just to make a change from the OS wars...

Just reading article on New Scientist about how the 3G network will be fucked in a few years. Can't post link because of pay wall...

Quote:
Traffic jam: the coming cellphone crunch

Smartphone users beware – the days of all-you-can-eat wireless data may be numbered

YOUR connection to YouTube might be the first to go, with increasingly choppy videos that one day just fail to download. In your impatience, you decide to scout out the latest posts in the Twittersphere, except that, too, is temporarily down. Your email's stalled, and even a simple text is now too arduous, as the world's phone networks come crashing down. In the following months, it's almost impossible to get a lasting connection - even for a voice call. Welcome to 2013, and the first mobile meltdown.

Although this is the worst-case scenario, some kind of collapse in the near future is a real possibility. Cellular networks are already showing signs of strain: your phone may temporarily cut out in large crowds or at a sporting event or music gig, and if you live in New York, San Francisco or London, you may have found it increasingly difficult to make calls in your home city. And things have the potential to get a lot worse.

Data-gobbling smartphones are, of course, the source of the problem, as they overload networks with requests for web pages, email and video streaming 24/7. If the use of these devices grows as expected, cellphone networks across the world could grind to a halt by 2013 - and since many core services depend on wireless communication, the results could be devastating. The only solution will be an overhaul of the way mobile communications are delivered.

Think of it as a road traffic problem. Governments in Europe and the US currently allocate a handful of 5-megahertz chunks of the electromagnetic spectrum to each operator's network, which the operator uses at each of its transmitters. The chunks of spectrum correspond to the lanes of a highway, carrying data either to or from the transmitter. Many operators are given just two 5 MHz chunks - one lane either way - though some may have as many as five pairs.

Like any road, these highways can only hold so much traffic. Current 3G technologies can send roughly 1 bit of data - a one or a zero - per second over each 1 Hz of spectrum that the operator owns. That means a cell tower using one pair of 5 MHz chunks of spectrum can transmit just 5 megabytes of data per second - a handful of streamed videos at most.

Cellphone congestion seemed like a distant prospect a decade ago, when the 3G network was rolled out. At that time, pretty much the only smartphone users were business execs on their BlackBerrys, leaving the 3G network massively underused.

Not any more. Wireless modems - the "dongles" that plug into USB drives - added traffic when they emerged around five years ago. Then, in 2007, Apple launched the iPhone; it has now sold 50 million of the devices. Suddenly, lots of new people were on the highway, each taking up huge amounts of road space. A single streaming video occupies as much bandwidth as around 100 phone calls, for example. As a result, the 3G highway is now overcrowded, especially in cities where lots of people use smartphones, triggering waves of complaints in New York and San Francisco.

Congestion is likely to be a common problem as enthusiasm for smartphones continues to rise at an extraordinary rate. More than 1.5 million iPhone 4s, the latest version of the device, were sold in the first week after its June launch. And phones based on Google's Android operating system are rapidly gaining popularity. If the growth continues in this vein, mobile traffic will more than double every year for the next four years, according to predictions by the computing company Cisco. Which means that the occasional congestion of today will become gridlock tomorrow, especially in big crowds in sporting events like the Olympics (see "Olympic demand").

In the past, cellphone companies used innovative engineering to increase capacity. By making the jump from 2G to 3G (see "Networks explained"), for example, engineers were able to squeeze 5 to 10 times as many bits per second into each hertz of spectrum, says Simon Saunders of Real Wireless, a consultancy based in Pulborough, West Sussex, UK. This meant more data could rush down the highway without hold-ups.

Could a similar technique stave off the wireless crunch? Internet traffic is often what Saunders describes as "snacky": it comes in bursts as users click on a page, read, then click again. 3G networks struggle with this kind of traffic, but their successors - Long Term Evolution (LTE) and WiMAX - should do better.

These technologies have spent years in development, yet they will only let operators cram roughly 50 per cent more data into the chunks of spectrum before hold-ups will start happening again - a mere drop in the ocean when faced with the rise and rise of the iPhone. If LTE were the only solution in the pipeline, demand might well trump supply in only a couple of years (see graph), according to a recent report commissioned by Research In Motion (RIM), maker of the BlackBerry.

Worse still, any successors to LTE will be unlikely to provide the improvements in data transfer rates that would be necessary to avoid the crunch. "LTE is so advanced and complex that it has required the global output of the entire industry to produce," says Peter Rysavy, a wireless industry consultant based in Hood River, Oregon, who produced RIM's report. "If there was an alternative that worked a lot better they would have found it."

Many cellular operators are optimistic about option number two: widening the road. "If the number of cars on a highway quadrupled without additional lanes then everything would slow down," says Christopher Guttman-McCabe, a vice-president at CTIA - The Wireless Association in Washington DC. "We need more lanes." That would mean dishing out a few more pairs of 5 MHz chunks of spectrum to mobile operators to use on their transmitters.

Before this can happen, governments will have to go through the messy political business of persuading existing owners to part with underused chunks. That is because much of the spectrum in the 400 MHz and 3 gigahertz range that wireless operators use is already spoken for by the military, TV broadcasters and satellite communication. But now is a good time to be bargaining for bandwidth, as the switch from analogue to digital television is freeing up space. The US and UK militaries, which use large swathes of spectrum, will also have slices prised away from them. In the US, the Federal Communications Commission says that these factors, together with reallocations from other owners, will free 500 MHz for cellphones. The UK's communications regulator, Ofcom, has plans to reallocate close to 300 MHz that could be parcelled off to the various networks.

Unfortunately, there may be a wait: William Webb, head of R&D at Ofcom, says the UK's auction may take place next year, but progress is bogged down by arguments between industry and government about who should be able to bid for the additional spectrum. And in the US, it may take 10 years to move all of the 500 MHz over to cellular networks.

Even once that extra spectrum does become available, it will soon be eaten up by smartphone users and their data-hungry apps. "Freeing up spectrum would be helpful," says Stirling Essex of CRFS, a UK company based in Cambridge that sells spectrum-monitoring and management tools. "But even if you double the amount available you'll have a problem in a few years. The demand is insatiable."

Even if you double the available spectrum, you'll have trouble in a few years. The demand is insatiable
Clearly these two routes are not going to allow us to stave off the wireless crunch for long. Might the only solution be to tax the road hogs who are bogging down the networks? iPhone owners are used to paying a flat fee for unlimited internet access through their 3G connection, but charging them for the amount they download would surely rein in their usage. "Economists will tell you that when you make something free people will use a lot of it," says David Cleevely, chairman of Cambridge Wireless in the UK. "We'll see capping on data plans. The operators have to get the genie back in the bottle."

Might the only solution be to tax the road hogs who are bogging down the networks?
AT&T, which provides internet access to iPhone users in the US, has already implicitly admitted as much. This June, the company announced new price plans for the iPhone that come with monthly caps - 200 megabytes and 2 gigabytes for $15 and $25, respectively. The move hasn't troubled the majority of iPhone owners, since they can save money by switching from their original $30 unlimited data plan and, in most cases, will not be bothered by the 2 GB limit, which is equivalent to watching more than 100 2-minute videos in a month. Yet AT&T is quietly letting users know that they cannot expect the days of unlimited browsing to continue forever. These caps may not be onerous, but unpalatable ones could follow unless other ways of dealing with demand are found.

Fortunately, there may be a fourth way that would still leave the door open for cheap and extensive internet use: install a cellphone transmitter in every home and office. These transmitters, dubbed femtocells, look like wireless routers and would plug into broadband connections. By shifting the traffic onto the internet, they would bypass larger conventional cellphone transmitters, which would still serve users when they're out.

Femtocells wouldn't be too much of a burden on the home's broadband connection, since the constraints of cell towers have forced engineers to create smartphones that use data far more efficiently than traditional desktops and laptops. Saunders estimates that the technology could boost capacity by a factor of tens or even hundreds.

As an added bonus, it would also make mobile communication more energy efficient. Existing cell towers lose 90 per cent of their energy when the signal passes through an external wall. "Trying to service the need for better indoor coverage with the outdoor network alone is the equivalent of trying to improve the experience of reading in bed by making lamp posts outside brighter instead of installing a bedside lamp," says Saunders.

Sound too good to be true? There are certainly some questions to be answered. Health risks are an easy one to deal with. Despite fears over cell towers, there is no evidence to suggest that radiation from the towers is dangerous. Home transmitters will run at a much lower power, as will the phones that connect to them. So there is no reason to think that femtocells pose a health hazard.

A bigger question is whether femtocells will interfere with each other when packed into urban neighbourhoods. Interference is a problem for all transmitters, and engineers routinely monitor transmissions in areas where signals overlap and tweak the output of towers accordingly. As transmitters have got smaller and too numerous to adjust manually, engineers have developed technology that listens to signals from other sources and makes the necessary changes automatically. So far, these systems have coped. But femtocells will add another layer of complexity, and no one knows whether the automated systems are up to the job.

We will soon find out, however, as the first commercial femtocells arrived in the past year. Vodafone's Sure Signal system, which launched in July 2009 and is essentially a tiny 3G cell tower, is priced at between £40 and £120, depending on the contract that the phone owner has with Vodafone. This March, AT&T rolled out a similar system for $150. That pricing will probably only attract people who live in areas of bad reception, but demand will rise as prices fall. One operator - Japan's Softbank - has already started giving femtocells to subscribers free of charge.

It will be a rocky road ahead as the operators roll out these possible solutions and jump the inevitable technical hurdles, so we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that all is in place before the crunch hits. But there's no doubting the effort will be worth the struggle: now that we've tasted the wonders of ubiquitous internet, could we ever live without it?

Olympic demand
Cellphone reception is often patchy at big concerts and sporting events, where crowds can number 100,000. But that's nothing compared to the challenge facing the organisers of the 2012 London Olympic Games. The number of athletes, media and volunteers alone will top 100,000, and that's before you factor in spectators.

It won't just be phones that they will be using. Journalists will come with wireless microphones and cameras. The emergency services will all need clear chunks of spectrum in the event of trouble. All in all, it's a headache for organisers.

To head off problems, Ofcom, the UK's ommunications regulator, has already published its plans for managing the spectrum. The organising committee for the London Olympics is building dedicated radio networks, which will take care of the first responders. Spectrum cleared by the switch-over from analogue to digital television will be used for wireless microphones, while the Ministry of Defence and the Civil Aviation Authority will lend the organisers the spectrum needed by wireless TV cameras.

The best laid plans can, of course, be derailed by human error. Ofcom says that equipment operating at the wrong frequency will be the most likely cause of problems, so it may build a network of sensors to pinpoint offending sources.

Networks explained
2G was the first digital network and the technology that sparked widespread use of cellphones. In Europe, the 5 MHz chunks allocated to individual operators are divided into 200 kHz slices of spectrum, each of which handles up to eight calls. Although mainly used for voice calls, it can also transmit data, albeit slowly.

On European 3G networks, multiple calls, internet data and other traffic are spread across all of an operator's 5 MHz. By devoting a greater range of frequencies to each user, their data is transferred more quickly - meaning each user's connection should be faster. Congestion can occur, however, if too many people want to use the service at any one time.

The latest networks, WiMAX and LTE, are in some sense a throwback to 2G, since in both cases each operator's 5 MHz allocation is again divided into discrete 200 kHz slices. Unlike 2G, however, data from one conversation or call can be placed in different 200 kHz slices. This on-the-fly allocation helps operators to handle the stop-start signals characteristic of internet traffic and make the most of the available spectrum.

Old 3rd November 2010, 01:57     #4133
cyc
Objection!

Jailbroke my IP4 using Limerain, which was a pretty painless task. Right after doing that, I went and tried out Intelliscreen, which I find very useful. I'm also very impressed with the new Tomtom app.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:34     #4134
crocos

You bloody data-hog

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:43     #4135
p01s0n

mobile networks: like a series of tubes
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:53     #4136
SID|DensitY

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
fucking mobile networks: how do they work!
^^^
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:48     #4137
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
You bloody data-hog
Speaking of data hogging, I'll say that for as long as Vodafone has the 3 GBs a month special going on their Iphone plans, the $40 a month I am paying is a bargain. As soon as they go back to the "usual" allocation of 250 mb a month, not only will there be no data hogging by anyone on VF, they will just about become the most smartphone unfriendly provider around.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:59     #4138
Rocket

Im sick of the battery life on this desire, time to look for a new phone. doesnt last but 5 hours. near useless to me.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:00     #4139
crocos

Get an iPhone... Or a old-skool Symbian phone

I get 5 days standby on my POS Sony Ericsson W950i / 2 days with heavy use.

It has a touch-screen, Opera, works with Google Apps, what else do you want?

Last edited by crocos : 3rd November 2010 at 12:03.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:03     #4140
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
Im sick of the battery life on this desire, time to look for a new phone. doesnt last but 5 hours. near useless to me.
Why don't you just make use of the user-serviceable battery? Apparently it's a deal-breaker problem with the iphones so I'm kind of surprised that you havn't just bought like 2 or 3 batteries to swap out during the day

Last edited by p01s0n : 3rd November 2010 at 12:05.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:18     #4141
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
If battery life is a serious concern, then the IP4 is really the only option at the moment for smartphones. Still, you can get a spare battery for the Desire.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:23     #4142
Rocket

what kinda battery life are ppl seeing on the IP4?

This is where blackberry kicked mega arse. Miss the battery life of my bold. just went and went and went.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:32     #4143
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
If battery life is a serious concern, then the IP4 is really the only option at the moment for smartphones. Still, you can get a spare battery for the Desire.
Wut?

Theres alot of options and devices that have similar if not better battery life... thats without mentioning the custom roms.

Turning every cunt GPS pul/push google service on ... is a good way to fail miserably at any phone.

Before you battery goes completely flat Rocket what does the battery widget/usage meter show as the heaviest user?

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 3rd November 2010 at 12:35.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:38     #4144
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Wut?

Theres alot of options and devices that have similar if not better battery life... thats without mentioning the custom roms.

Turning every cunt GPS pul/push google service on ... is a good way to fail miserably at any phone.

Before you battery goes completely flat Rocket what does the battery widget/usage meter show as the heaviest user?
sounds like he doesn't want to fuck around with any of that and wants a smartphone that just gets good battery life.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:42     #4145
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Wut?

Can you actually provide some reviews/evidence from reputable sites in support of what you said?
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:04     #4146
Rocket

heh look i know all the tricks, shit i did a 20 ways to increase your battery life blog post in link below. trust me the battery SUX arse. im over it.

i get on bus, fully charged. browse, play a game for 10 minutes, chuck phone in pocket. get to work. phone on desk, few txts check facebook about 10 times, 1pm battery dead. weak.

thats with every feature that makes the phone what it is, turned off. where is the point in that? christ just to check google maps when im out and about its like firing up the space shuttle, turning on gps, data, screen brightness. lol.

i love the phone, but battery is pretty fundamental. it needs to last a full day of my lifestyle or its usless to me, it doesnt get to sleep till i sleep. i dont want to have to fuck about planning my day around being contactable and having 1 hour to charge my stupid phone.

Last edited by Rocket : 3rd November 2010 at 13:07.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:16     #4147
RedeviL

Seriously Rocket?

Jesus, I do that and more and my Desires battery survives 24 hours to be plugged in at work with ~40% remaining.

Only thing I have off is Blue tooth as I don't use it.
Brightness on auto, Wifi, GPS and 3G all on all the time.
Wifi at work and home, rest of the time 3G.
Background sync on all the time.

Sounds like something is fucked imo.
Be it battery or battery raping App.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:17     #4148
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeviL
Seriously Rocket?

Jesus, I do that and more and my Desires battery survives 24 hours to be plugged in at work with ~40% remaining.

That was my thoughts exactly .... I mean I leave mine on with basically the same as yours and I'm easily at 2 days+ without doing any weird battery saving ticks, most weekends I just don't charge it.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:20     #4149
Rocket

2 days? shiiiiiit. Hmm maybe ill look at getting another battery. any suggestions? what roms are you guys using. ill copy see if i get same success.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:22     #4150
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Can you actually provide some reviews/evidence from reputable sites in support of what you said?
For the sake of clarity: I'm not asserting that you're wrong, Bites, but people on reasonably reputable discussion boards have reported very poor battery life on the likes of the Galaxy. Go take a look at Whirlpool and Geekzone, for example. GSM Arena reports that the IP4 was the undisputed leader in their video playback test, although the Galaxy did last longer in their general usage test but the usage patterns there wasn't the same as that tested on the IP4.

Quote:
heh look i know all the tricks, shit i did a 20 ways to increase your battery life blog post in link below. trust me the battery SUX arse. im over it.
For what this is worth, here are some indicators of the battery performance that I get, ranging some heavy to moderate and very light use. For Bites, no I am not claiming that my usage is representative of the whole world.
  • Yesterday whilst waiting for a client who is ALWAYS late, I spent about 1.5 hours playing Monkey Island, Angry Birds and generally fooling around on the phone (texting, downloading 2 apps etc). The time split is probably about 40 -50 minutes of gaming. Battery indicator went down by 16% IIRC.

On a day-to-day basis I always have 3G on, one push e-mail going, screen brightness about 40% and auto-brightness on, and will turn on Wifi occasionally. With these things going along with about an hour of music a day, a few texts sent and received (say 5) and say 10 - 15 mintues of calls a day, along with the odd bit of app glazing (mainly news stuff) and about 30 to 40 minutes of E-books a day, I can get battery life of between 2 to 3 days. Pushing things out to three days can get uncomfortable.

I've actually gone about a week without charging the battery when I was on holiday and the phone was used only to respond to the odd texts (2 to 4 a day) and call a day, plus perhaps 5 minutes of random news gazing just before getting coffee. I've never owned ANY phone except for cheapo Nokias that do absolutely nothing except for texting and calling that can last 7 days
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:31     #4151
Rocket

and thats on a desire? i would be very happy to get that kinda battery life. ill get a battery off ebay. cheers fellas, will let you know how it works out.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:41     #4152
^BITES^

Quote:
sounds like he doesn't want to fuck around with any of that and wants a smartphone that just gets good battery life.
Funny how at the drop of a hat you are giving him stick .. slight chance for an apple dig .. you are his best mate... asshat... turning on alot of features or setting things to stupid might be MITIGATED on a phone where you have to get permission to do anything, but I doubt it. Enough of the troll of no point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Sure, I'm hoping PCWorld is ok, basis of the comment I made around it not having much better battery life than a normal phone, or previous model.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20029...ts_are_in.html

7% longer battery life than the previous model .... nothing I would call "Fantastic/magical/apple buzzword here"

From CNET testing : http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11288_7...?tag=page;page
Code:
Apple iPhone 3G (with 3G off) 8.75 Apple iPhone 3G (with 3G on) 4.95 Apple iPhone 3GS (with 3G off) 13.4 Apple iPhone 3GS (with 3G on) 5.36 Apple iPhone 4 (with 3G off) 14.55 Apple iPhone 4 (with 3G on) 7.76 Apple iPhone Classic 7.3
Some Android examples, these are all with 3G (some even with 4G) enabled stock setup (Eg no gooby push pull every cunting thing services)
Code:
Samsung Epic 4G 6.72 HTC Legend 12.75 Motorola Droid 7.58 Motorola Droid 2 6.6 Motorola Droid X 7.5 Motorola Devour 7.36 Motorola Backflip 6.75 Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (AT&T) 9.03

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 3rd November 2010 at 13:44.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:57     #4153
crocos

Quote:
and thats on a desire? i would be very happy to get that kinda battery life. ill get a battery off ebay. cheers fellas, will let you know how it works out.
No: cyc has an iPhone 4

Old 3rd November 2010, 14:14     #4154
p01s0n

Quote:
Funny how at the drop of a hat you are giving him stick .. slight chance for an apple dig .. you are his best mate... asshat... turning on alot of features or setting things to stupid might be MITIGATED on a phone where you have to get permission to do anything, but I doubt it. Enough of the troll of no point.
lol at how dumb you are
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:19     #4155
^BITES^

Quote:
lol at how dumb you are
Lol at how pathetic your replys .... STILL are.

Come back to the topic when you have something usefull to add ... going on past history ... never.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:26     #4156
crocos

Quote:
You did rather miss the point of p13's post.

Rocket just wants good battery life; He doesn't want to need to specifically manage applications - even if he is playing 3D intensive gaming while streaming video to the HDMI out and having push-updates from 50 services running (etc, etc, etc).

A very stereotypical consumer complaint.

Old 3rd November 2010, 14:30     #4157
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeviL
Seriously Rocket?

I'm with Redevil. Something is wrong, that's not normal.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:31     #4158
lektronimo

This page was surprisingly informative until the last few posts. Can't we all get along?

(cue coke ad music)

P.S. battery saver tip: use black themes with OLED screens, they use much less juice.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:42     #4159
p01s0n

lol @ all the htc/desire apologists in this thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:44     #4160
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
You did rather miss the point of p13's post.

Rocket just wants good battery life; He doesn't want to need to specifically manage applications - even if he is playing 3D intensive gaming while streaming video to the HDMI out and having push-updates from 50 services running (etc, etc, etc).

A very stereotypical consumer complaint.
No I didn't miss that point .. however as you've said:
"even if he is playing 3D intensive gaming while streaming video to the HDMI out and having push-updates from 50 services running (etc, etc, etc)."

Like for like .. apples for apples ... assuming user hasn't noobed it up .. they are comparible .. if not identical in battery longevity, which is what the above data details...

Turning on every feature under the sun (as you do when you get a new phone, most however probably turn them off shortly after) then expecting it to have the same battery life as a phone that simply doesn't have ANY of the options or functionality ... then expecting the same battery life is neigh on stupid .. and didn't really need clarification.

This is why they include "your mileage may vary".....

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 3rd November 2010 at 14:47.