NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 15th April 2015, 10:00     #4121
CCS
Stunt Pants

Damn Transport Minister asking for information about things in his transport portfolio! Hey should only ask for information about the health portfolio!
Old 15th April 2015, 10:09     #4122
Lightspeed

That's one way of framing it. Another way is an MP was trying to cook up election bribes in a manner that's against the rules.

In of itself, as a stand-alone incident, maybe not a big deal. But I don't need to start rattling off names to make you aware of all the other times National MPs have fallen foul of rule breaking.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 15th April 2015 at 10:10.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:24     #4123
CCS
Stunt Pants

It's an election bribe that falls within the rules.
Old 15th April 2015, 11:41     #4124
Lightspeed

Quote:
Political blog Polity.co.nz today published a series of posts in which Mr Bridges was accused of breaching section 6.60 of the Cabinet Manual by asking the New Zealand Transport Agency for advice on Northland bridges in the lead-up to the by-election.
Breaking the rules is the accusation.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:08     #4125
CCS
Stunt Pants

Tsk tsk. Naughty politicians. Been caught being political. What is the penalty for breaking the rules of the Cabinet Manual?
Old 15th April 2015, 12:09     #4126
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I think the collapse of pretty much any kind of service looking out for victims of sexual violence is atrocious.

This is more of the ongoing trend of National giving no fucks about the rules, unless they can impose them on others.

But at least they can run an election, AMIRITE?! That's what's important for a government.
Did you mean to post a different link then? Because that one was about bridges and getting advice at the cost of the taxpayer to be able to make promises about bridges for a by-election which they then lost, which could imply that National can't run an election (or at least, a by-election).

There was nothing about sexual violence or the decrease in services to victims of sexual violence, or are you just bringing that up because it's pretty much all you got?

Last edited by pxpx : 15th April 2015 at 12:11.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:17     #4127
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Tsk tsk. Naughty politicians. Been caught being political. What is the penalty for breaking the rules of the Cabinet Manual?
lolz. That's funny, cause apparently not knowing about a years old letter is a major failing of a politician. Breaking the rules not so much I guess, huh? Hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
or are you just bringing that up because it's pretty much all you got?
It's what I can be certain about. It's something I know can't be spun another way, like bullshit around economics. It's a clear and plain example of National fucking up in a very serious way. And it directly relates to National's regular demonstrated attitude of power over vulnerability. Something this incident continues to demonstrate.

It's head-and-shoulders above anything you have to demonstrate National is doing a good job and others couldn't do better.
Old 15th April 2015, 13:12     #4128
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Nobody cares.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:26     #4129
pxpx

Quote:
It's what I can be certain about. It's something I know can't be spun another way, like bullshit around economics. It's a clear and plain example of National fucking up in a very serious way. And it directly relates to National's regular demonstrated attitude of power over vulnerability. Something this incident continues to demonstrate.

It's head-and-shoulders above anything you have to demonstrate National is doing a good job and others couldn't do better.
What's it got to do with Simon Bridges' Bridges though?
Old 15th April 2015, 14:42     #4130
Lightspeed

Hahah, you're an obstinate bastard, aren't you pxpx?

You were being sarcastic about National's "atrocious" behaviour from what I could tell. I was pointing out that National is genuinely atrocious.

Ab is pretty much right though. Few with a voice care, those that speak up get slapped down.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:46     #4131
pxpx

Quote:
Hahah, you're an obstinate bastard, aren't you pxpx?
Can I have "Obstinate Bastard" as a tag plz?
Old 16th April 2015, 11:17     #4132
Lightspeed

PM's defence of Bridges devalues principles

I think a more accurate title would be "PM's defence of Bridges demonstrates principles".

I'm sure the nobodies will pipe down about this soon enough - no doubt there will be more underhanded behaviour by National on its way to comment on.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:33     #4133
Lightspeed

Rock star economy
Rock star economy
Tied to one commodity
Your complaints are frivolity
Old 16th April 2015, 14:11     #4134
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The crash is coming, just like all the other crashes, except no-one will have seen this coming, just like all the other crashes.
Old 16th April 2015, 14:26     #4135
Ajax
Architeuthis

Hearken unto the words of Simon, for the truth is revealed to Him.
Old 16th April 2015, 14:30     #4136
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey, call me crazy, but having your economy boom because of milk production sounds like maybe not the most long-term sustainable situation. I hear that grass and cows can be manufactured in places not called New Zealand, and I hear some of those places aren't as far from the people that want milk as New Zealand is.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:18     #4137
pxpx

RBNZ knew it was coming
http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/research_and...4/5721595.html

Quote:
The strong supply response from the US, Europe and New Zealand, as a result of the high global dairy prices, is expected to exert downward pressure on international dairy prices over the next two to three years.
Still don't think there's anything to panic about.

Last edited by pxpx : 16th April 2015 at 15:19.
Old 16th April 2015, 16:09     #4138
Lightspeed

Good thing there's no housing bubble that a economic slump might burst... oh, wait.
Old 16th April 2015, 16:17     #4139
pxpx

What's the worst that could happen?
Old 16th April 2015, 16:39     #4140
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

There's some retarded shit going on in this thread right now.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:10     #4141
Lightspeed

Yeah, like the whole world over.
Old 17th April 2015, 01:41     #4142
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

One for you Lightspeed:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...t-to-speak-out
Old 17th April 2015, 09:50     #4143
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
There's some retarded shit going on in this thread right now.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:52     #4144
Lightspeed

If JK doesn't take the Reserve Bank seriously, surely he'll listen to the NZHerald:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11433872
Old 17th April 2015, 11:25     #4145
pxpx

I like the ideas mentioned in this blog: https://www.squirrel.co.nz/fix-long-young-man/
Old 18th April 2015, 18:38     #4146
pxpx

lol, Armstrong putting the boot in as far as it'll go:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...jectid=1143449
Old 20th April 2015, 16:54     #4147
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pollage, Colmar Brunton.

Summary: National still cruising. Higher support than when they took office.

Quote:
Polling Company: Colmar Brunton

Party Support

National 49.0% (nc)
Labour 31.0% (nc)
Green 9% (-1.0%)
ACT 0.5% (+0.2%)
Maori 0.8% (-0.8%)
United Future 0.0% (nc)
Mana 1.1% (+0.7%)
NZ First 7.0% (+1.0%)
Conservative 1.5% (nc)

Preferred PM

John Key 42% (+1.0%)
Andrew Little 11% (-1%)
Winston Peters 10% (+3.0%)

Economic Direction

Better 48% (-5%)
Worse 28% (+4%)
Same 24% (+1%)
Old 21st April 2015, 10:10     #4148
pxpx

Can anyone actually picture Andrew Little as Prime Minister?
Old 21st April 2015, 11:19     #4149
blynk

All GP visits free for under 13*

*except for the 10% that aren't
Old 21st April 2015, 12:55     #4150
pxpx

Documents! 10%! The government is breaking promises!

Has the 10% been defined? There aren't any actual details released yet are there? Are the greens just frothing at the mouth like usual? To be honest, if the 10% are children of parents who can afford GP visits for their kids then isn't that just being financially prudent? If the 10% are kids who will actually miss out on GP visits due to the government not paying, then that's a different story altogether.

The left is all about equal outcomes for all isn't it? So what's the most important outcome here?

All kids can get GP visits
or
All kids can get GP visits paid for

I'm waiting for more information on this one.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:30     #4151
blynk

Sorry, I thought there was enough info in that article

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzherald
ACC Minister Nikki Kaye has set the Accident Compensation Corporation's funding at a level that would cover about 90 per cent of doctors' visits for children who were injured, Radio New Zealand reported.
So 90% of childrens ACC claims will be paid.

So what happens with the other 10%?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzherald
Ms Kaye said the costs of getting the remaining number of injured children free visits outweighed the benefits.
So getting these 10% of injured children covered costs more than the benefits? So who pays for these injured children?
The parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
To be honest, if the 10% are children of parents who can afford GP visits for their kids then isn't that just being financially prudent?
So you are saying that the parents that can pay for it - which typical means are paying a fair amount of acc (and tax) - shouldn't be covered.

Anyway, I think the biggest issue is that National promised for all GP visits for under 13 to be free, but when it comes to it, its not.

Last edited by blynk : 21st April 2015 at 13:31.
Old 21st April 2015, 14:24     #4152
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
So you are saying that the parents that can pay for it - which typical means are paying a fair amount of acc (and tax) - shouldn't be covered.
If you are implying that I want some kind of means testing as the measure of who pays and who doesn't, then no. I'm talking about the practical outcome of the (as yet unknown) policy detail. I don't know how ACC funding is structured so I'm not going to speculate on what I assume the government will do.

Anyway isn't the biggest issue ensuring that kids get treatment and who pays for it is kinda secondary?
Old 21st April 2015, 14:37     #4153
pxpx

Sorry I didn't address all your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
So what happens with the other 10%?
So getting these 10% of injured children covered costs more than the benefits?
So who pays for these injured children? The parents?
I don't know. But here are some counter questions that might help illustrate my point:

Can you tell me more about these 10% of children?
Can you define who they are, what their injuries or illnesses are?
Can you tell me the cost of the treatment they need?
Can you tell me if their parents have community services cards or access to other types of funding?
Where do they live and how close are they to medical providers?

I think you need to know if the government has considered those things before you pass judgement on bad old National breaking a promise.
Old 21st April 2015, 15:27     #4154
CCS
Stunt Pants

Politician breaks promise, world comes to grinding halt. More at 6 O'clock.
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:10     #4155
Lightspeed

Ah, at last, National's downfall:
JK apologises for pulling waitress's hair

/s
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:34     #4156
Juju
get to da choppa

Old 22nd April 2015, 14:52     #4157
pxpx

LOL! Creepy as!
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:18     #4158
CCS
Stunt Pants

Fresh off the news wire: John Key turns out to be a dick, has weird hair fetish.

John Campbell gurns along with the victim at seven.
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:54     #4159
fixed_truth

Is anyone surprised that the guy who personally closes down rape crisis centres turns out to be a serial sexual harasser?
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:10     #4160
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Can you all please use the official hashtag #ponytailgateghazi