Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 15th September 2014, 17:30     #41
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Mr McGuire said Warner Bros had conducted a "thorough internal review" before dismissing the email. The review would have taken place in just over two hours between the Herald asking questions of the studio and the response.
lulz.
Old 15th September 2014, 17:33     #42
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Took them 1hr 59mins to find someone who knew how to use grep.
Old 15th September 2014, 17:39     #43
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How do you think the US is doing at this so far?
I think the US is doing quite well at preventing domestic terrorist attacks, I also think that they have made some atrocious mistakes and they need to seriously look at some of the methods they employ as well as punish those people who have carried out those methods.

Quote:
Do you think the actions they are taking are improving the situation?
I don't know - I sometimes wonder what would happen if the west just gave up, and let the regions events just play themselves out? Maybe that's what they should do?

Quote:
You clearly think it's a good idea to align ourselves with them.
Yes and no, I agree that aligning ourselves may put us on some sort of terrorist list - and as Farmer Joe has mentioned, maybe it's better for us to just abstain and hope it all works out. I also think that we benefit from access to their resources. Finally - you dont shit on your friends because you don't like the prime minister.

Quote:
So the pre-election thread is poll-lolz and scandals only now? How is this discussion not pre-election? Whatev's.
I'm not trying to marginalise anything, relax plz. I see foreign policy as a bipartisan issue, so yeah.

Last edited by pxpx : 15th September 2014 at 17:41.
Old 15th September 2014, 17:45     #44
pxpx

also - love the thread topic haha
Old 15th September 2014, 18:00     #45
Lightspeed

You seem to have mistaken my intention. I'm not discussing foreign policy. I'm discussing how the current government takes cue from the worst aspects of the US, I assume because they want to enjoy the results those aspects generate. That is the concentrating of economic and political power at the expense of liberty and justice, not to mention our environment which still looms as large as ever.

The economic crises, the wholesale collection of Internet traffic, any number of historic atrocities perpetrated and whitewashed by Western powers in the Middle East and elsewhere in the last couple of decades, particularly post-9/11, all these things are outcomes of the choices and the values behind these choices of those our current government is trying to emulate. This is the kind of shit NZ should be standing apart from, not with. It's from these values that you get a health and education system like in the US, where you can to go bankrupt trying to access either.

I'll not fucking relax when so much is at stake.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:10     #46
Spink

What are you going to do when National wins? You sound like a national security threat right now.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:21     #47
pxpx

Quote:
I'll not fucking relax when so much is at stake.
Good thing we have a thread to discuss it now, rather than have it drowning in whale oil.

I wholeheartedly agree with parts of your argument, I just think even a giant from the north would have trouble drawing the bow that you are right now.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:26     #48
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Took them 1hr 59mins to find someone who knew how to use grep.
Haha, they probably use Exchange - 1hr 59mins is optimistic!
Old 15th September 2014, 18:28     #49
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
I think the US is doing quite well at preventing domestic terrorist attacks
I'm curious to know what makes you say that, because all that's coming to mind is

Meanwhile, mass interception of New Zealander's metadata is a thing:
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...-surveillance/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...-surveillance/

While I agree that doing "nothing" is a silly notion, i'm unclear about how the government being able to find out anything they want about me with a few keystrokes makes me safer.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:38     #50
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
What are you going to do when National wins? You sound like a national security threat right now.
It's always interesting to hear more of your projected fantasy of me.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:41     #51
Spink

Quote:
It's always interesting to hear more of your projected fantasy of me.
What are you going to do when National wins?
Old 15th September 2014, 18:42     #52
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I'm curious to know what makes you say that, because all that's coming to mind is
Note I said quite well, not perfect. The Boston Bombing an obvious failure, then a few shootings etc. But yeah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ates_post-9/11

Also agree with your last point, there needs to be a limit, but damn if that limit isn't hard to find.

Last edited by pxpx : 15th September 2014 at 18:43.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:42     #53
Lightspeed

Quote:
Good thing we have a thread to discuss it now, rather than have it drowning in whale oil.

I wholeheartedly agree with parts of your argument, I just think even a giant from the north would have trouble drawing the bow that you are right now.
Feel free to create a thread to discuss what you think about me. That's how we're slicing and dicing threads, right?
Old 15th September 2014, 18:44     #54
Lightspeed

Quote:
What are you going to do when I don't answer that question?
Old 15th September 2014, 18:48     #55
Spink

Quote:
What are you going to do when I don't answer that question?
I dunno, I don't really plan my life around whether you will or won't answer questions because generally you dodge any question that isn't an extreme softball.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:03     #56
Lightspeed

Perhaps I should have first asked how exactly this discussion fits into your life's plans. Certainly if you are interested in answers to your questions, you might consider how you frame them.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:08     #57
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
He will enjoy a better standard of living than he could acheive under other outcomes; despite this he will spend the next three years evading admitting this is so.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:59     #58
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I've only skimmed the docs that Key has released, but they don't appear to contradict Snowden. 'Project Cortex' appears to focus on the threat from malware and doesn't seem related to xkeyscore.
Old 15th September 2014, 20:08     #59
fixed_truth

Live link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbps1EwAW-0
Old 15th September 2014, 20:39     #60
BoyWonder

So far...

Is that it? 1

OMG resign now 0
Old 15th September 2014, 20:42     #61
Know me.

I don't wanna watch...
Old 15th September 2014, 21:01     #62
fixed_truth

Fark. Scary stuff from Snowden.
Quote:
"Specifically yes, the GCSB not only uses XKEYSCORE, they have expanded it, contributed to its development. And that's a tremendously concerning thing," - Snowden

Snowden says XKEYSCORE involves metadata and content collection on citizens in NZ, their private communications ... and GCSB all have access to these communications. They are theoretically constrained by policy, they aren't really overseen. No accountability or public say on how they operate or whether they should exist at all.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 15th September 2014 at 21:05.
Old 15th September 2014, 21:07     #63
BoyWonder

I'm out - Julian Assange has to be the most boring person on the planet. He really should get out more :P
Old 15th September 2014, 21:10     #64
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
I'm out - Julian Assange has to be the most boring person on the planet. He really should get out more :P
this is possibly the worst drone speech ive ever watched. i literally cannot pay attention to what hes saying. dude needs to work on his public sleaking skillz.

and not being ill
Old 15th September 2014, 21:11     #65
adonis

It was a bit of a puff piece from Assange. Snowden/Greenwald though, if you're dismissing this event you're a fucking idiot.
Old 15th September 2014, 21:44     #66
leadinjector

so..... thats it?
Old 15th September 2014, 21:46     #67
Know me.

I couldn't stay away. Wow some compelling stuff there. John Key is between a rock and a hard place. He will tell the truth tomorrow but not the whole truth.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:16     #68
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
I couldn't stay away. Wow some compelling stuff there. John Key is between a rock and a hard place. He will tell the truth tomorrow but not the whole truth.
I think you'll find that most NZers agree that John Key is gonna make bad excuses for the rest of the week.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:35     #69
MadMax
Stuff

^ "I don't recall that."

So they presented it in the manner of: we're an awesome country and we said no to nukes, yes to the womans vote and granted the forty hour work week; we can also say no to mass spying - lets close one of the five eyes down. (And now please take a moments pause for a word from our sponsor: mega.com with secure Skype-like video calling in your browser! Hehehihi giddity giddy gee! [*Beta*])

Ha ha indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
It was a bit of a puff piece from Assange. Snowden/Greenwald though
indeed. impressive to see these two guys presented on the screen at the same time

Last edited by MadMax : 15th September 2014 at 22:38.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:37     #70
pxpx

lol.. rekt
Old 15th September 2014, 22:40     #71
MadMax
Stuff

more rekt than an engineer+sentry+portal+portal+dispenser chain kill
Old 15th September 2014, 22:41     #72
adonis

The sales pitch was pretty blatant :P It doesn't detract away from the rest of the content though.

If anyone thinks Snowden's testimony can be easily dismissed they've got their head stuck in the sand, he basically came in and confirmed what most legal experts including the law society were saying when the GCSB legislation was passed.

JK is either incompetent or knowingly mislead the NZ public to pass legislation that is against our basic civil liberties.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:50     #73
MadMax
Stuff

I had to squirm at their claim that a telecoms guy claimed he knew his network and there was no way that there was some tap installed on the southern cross cable when it's general knowledge that every router and managed switch has a tapping function.
Old 15th September 2014, 23:03     #74
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

That is a massively incorrect statement.
Old 15th September 2014, 23:56     #75
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
more rekt than an engineer+sentry+portal+portal+dispenser chain kill
WTF.. are you gcsb? are you john key? because as soon as I posted that, I was playing TF2.. no shit. OMG. Uninstalling all my shit.
Old 16th September 2014, 00:10     #76
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
That is a massively incorrect statement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...nforcement_Act - for routers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring for switches
Old 16th September 2014, 00:30     #77
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
WTF.. are you gcsb? are you john key? because as soon as I posted that, I was playing TF2.. no shit. OMG. Uninstalling all my shit.
who needs gcsb when people make their shit public?: http://webmail.danske.co.nz/sarg/Monthly/
Old 16th September 2014, 07:52     #78
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I could walk you toward a dozen core routers and switches within the exchange I work in that do not implement these features.

I can also walk you to a handful that do, whose mirroring features are used for network diagnosis and do not get left in this mode because they tend to leak memory.

You, like Kimble, incorrectly believe you are the smartest person in any given room.

Buy another tin foil hat.
Old 16th September 2014, 08:41     #79
Spink

hi I'm still voting national/national
Old 16th September 2014, 08:51     #80
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
You, like Kimble, incorrectly believe you are the smartest person in any given room.
excuse me he has wikipedia links