Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 27th August 2014, 11:57     #121
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Well, not National supporters any more! They'll stick with the NZHerald's incoherent nonsense.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11314904
Old 27th August 2014, 12:20     #122
Lightspeed

Of course, Collins has nothing to answer for given the hacked emails can't even be proven authentic.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:18     #123
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You think someone would have sat Collins down after the Oravida fiasco and made it crystal clear to her that her job from then to the day after the election was to smile sweetly and STFU. She's almost been worthy of a "days since something retarded" counter all by herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Of course, Collins has nothing to answer for given the hacked emails can't even be proven authentic.
As I said earlier, this is the only silver lining to the cloud for National.
Old 27th August 2014, 18:47     #124
adonis

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...-mike-williams

Hooton putting the boot into Key over WO's timely OIA reply. Gets good around the 8min mark
Old 27th August 2014, 19:14     #125
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is the Hooton who is an active player in the Whaleoil shitfest described in Hager's book, right? The guy who told Cathy Odgers where Hager lived when she was hinting at having the guy offed by the Chinese, right?

Mmm, independent media
Old 31st August 2014, 16:01     #126
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hager 2 weeks ago: "a USB stick just arrived on my doorstep from an anonymous source, I have no idea who the hacker is"

Hager this week:

Quote:
But it was Hager’s discussion of his new book which captivated the audience.

He described tracking down the hacker who attacked Slater’s IT system and spending weeks convincing him to share his information.

Hager promised he would ensure the information release was ‘‘something more lasting and of bigger value’’ than the hacker’s planned Twitter dump.

He said knowing the source of information and their motives for releasing it was essential.

‘‘I know him [the hacker] well now, and I trust him,’’ he said. ‘‘His motivation was that Cameron Slater was a bastard and we’ll do him over.’’
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...acker-revealed
Old 31st August 2014, 17:20     #127
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hager 2 weeks ago: "a USB stick just arrived on my doorstep from an anonymous source, I have no idea who the hacker is"
Is that a direct quote and if so could you provide a link?

Hagar wouldn't have even known that there was a hacker to look for unless he'd received some information first. It makes sense that after receiving the USB stick he would have tracked the hacker down and asked him for more information.
Old 31st August 2014, 17:26     #128
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"weeks convincing him to share his information"
Old 31st August 2014, 17:44     #129
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
Is that a direct quote and if so could you provide a link?
"Some weeks later, out of the blue, I received a package: an 8-gigabyte USB digital storage device, the contents of which appeared to have originated from the attack on Slater’s website"

Nicky Hager's website
Old 31st August 2014, 18:06     #130
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
"weeks convincing him to share his information"
So.. it's not a direct quote then? What you're implying doesn't actually make any logical sense. Hagar wouldn't have known that there was a hacker with this kind of information unless he'd been contacted first.

The logical conclusion to be drawn here is that Hagar received a USB stick with these emails. Afterwards - because he's an actual journalist and not a hack working for the NZ Herald - he went looking for the source to confirm it's authenticity.

He found the source and "spent weeks" convincing him to share how, and why he got those emails, determining whether the source is genuine, as well as gaining his trust and any other information he might have.

So, the question remains, is that a direct quote from somewhere or did you make it up yourself based on a faulty impression of what Hagar's actually been saying?

There's no contradiction between this new information and what's on http://www.nickyhager.info/dirty-politics/ , just new information. Perhaps this part of the story should have been revealed earlier but it really doesn't change anything, other than adding to the story about how Hagar made sure his work was authentic.
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:18     #131
Lightspeed

I wonder who it is who is spending all the effort and time to create these convincing forgeries @whaledump keeps leaking? /s
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:12     #132
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You have simultaneously gotten and missed the point.

Of course you can prove something's true. And if I were to claim "I am Jesus Christ resurrected" the onus is on me to prove it - not for you or anyone else to DISPROVE it. If I can't prove it, you probably shouldn't assume that I am in fact the Messiah returned.

So: can Hager prove that his claims are true?

To say "we know Nicky Hager is an investigative journalist with integrity" is just an argument from authority. The Bible is true because God wouldn't lie. The book is true because Hager has integrity. Whatever. Bob "Watergate" Woodward is one of the most respected journalists on earth but that doesn't change the fact that some of the things in his books about the Bush administration's preparation for war are just plain bullshit, because Woodward was fed bullshit by people who wanted him to put bullshit in his books.

Nicky Hager has published a book that contains some really interesting stuff that has a bearing on something as important as a general election. Is the interesting stuff true? Well, it appears not all of it. So how do you know if any given thing in the book is an interesting TRUE thing or an interesting OOPS I MADE A MISTAKE untrue thing or an interesting LOL IT'S TOTALLY MADE UP untrue thing? Well you check the sources. That's how research works.

And so far his source is "some guy on the Internet". Well, I'm fucking convinced. It must all be totally true then, even the stuff that isn't, because as we all know there is no more trustworthy source than Anonymous Guy On The Internet.
Apologies, busy week, didn't get around to replying to this. What you say is correct, hat eaten.

As you say, there's some really interesting stuff in the book, it'll be really interesting to see how much of it turns out to be true.
Old 4th September 2014, 15:28     #133
pxpx

@whaledump got shut down by Twitter - a result of police action after Slaters complaint?
Old 4th September 2014, 21:32     #134
pxpx

Slater off to the high court:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11319181
Old 5th September 2014, 17:43     #135
Know me.

So who is the hacker? Wouldn't surprise me if its one of you motherfuckas The way he writes seems familiar.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:49     #136
Lightspeed

Probably PK.
Old 6th September 2014, 10:35     #137
Nothing

Some of the commentary on dirty politics in this 3 hour video should have been on the 6pm news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdgPh0Wh3g0