Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 9th July 2014, 12:05     #41
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
It's interesting how LS suddenly became so "expert" in human psychology not long after the youtube Crash Course in psychology series started airing.
Have you been away from the forum for the last 6-8 years? lolz

Thanks though, I can tell I've said something that has gotten through when someone has to question my apparent expertise.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 9th July 2014 at 12:07.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:07     #42
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
i love the assumptions being made here. so youre saying that because i think cunliffes statement was pants on head retarded I must not care? and then you start talking about causality?
No I think you do care.

I'm reading you (and others) as saying that you think you're somehow separate from some of the factors than can result in violence etc.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:29     #43
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Thread spinoff to try and keep the high-level anthro stuff from cluttering up the Election thread. If you want to talk about society, do it here. If you want to talk about the election, do it over there.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:29     #44
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Or you'll get the bash.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:49     #45
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
No I think you do care.

I'm reading you (and others) as saying that you think you're somehow separate from some of the factors than can result in violence etc.
Look I know I'm evil by virtue of being a white heterosexual middle class male. As bill burr would say, I can feel the evil inside me. That urge to bash my wife when she doesn't have dinner ready when I get home, and my thirst to conquer the pagan hordes of far off lands. However I have not yet partaken in these activities. So what am I apologising for? I donate to the city mission to help those less well off than me. Of course that is just to assuage my white guilt, and is actually just proof of how evil I am, but what can you do right?

I guess I just don't see how empty apologies for shit you have no control over are supposed to help. I can think of other more helpful things people can do though.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:59     #46
pxpx

Quote:
funny, because youre not who i was replying to.
lead, I think you just discovered something.

FT is a Lightspeed smurf account!

Also thread rename "The Intellectualisation of David Cunliffes Apology For Being a Man"
Old 9th July 2014, 13:28     #47
Savage

Quote:
Look I know I'm evil by virtue of being a white heterosexual middle class male. As bill burr would say, I can feel the evil inside me. That urge to bash my wife when she doesn't have dinner ready when I get home, and my thirst to conquer the pagan hordes of far off lands. However I have not yet partaken in these activities. So what am I apologising for? I donate to the city mission to help those less well off than me. Of course that is just to assuage my white guilt, and is actually just proof of how evil I am, but what can you do right?

I guess I just don't see how empty apologies for shit you have no control over are supposed to help. I can think of other more helpful things people can do though.
I think the basic idea is that one is contributing to rape culture (and hence the domestic violence problem) every time one objectifies a woman, makes a sexist joke, or makes any kind of sexual reference in an inappropriate context.
Old 9th July 2014, 13:39     #48
Spink

How many songs get popular because the message in them resonates with the audience? I'd imagine a small percentage.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:36     #49
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Also thread rename "The Intellectualisation of David Cunliffes Apology For Being a Man"
Intellectualism is for those not tough enough to stand up for themselves, amirite?!
Old 9th July 2014, 15:09     #50
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

When some people discover the truth, they just can't understand why everybody isn't eager to hear it.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:37     #51
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Because the dominant masculist heteronormative patriarchal paradigm is holding the brother man down of course.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:37     #52
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I mean, brother person.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:37     #53
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sibling person.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:29     #54
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Familiar unit.
Old 9th July 2014, 17:21     #55
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I think the basic idea is that one is contributing to rape culture (and hence the domestic violence problem) every time one objectifies a woman, makes a sexist joke, or makes any kind of sexual reference in an inappropriate context.
Yeah and that's a horseshit idea. What, if I say that some chick on tv has nice tits then I'm contributing to some culture that makes it okay for some other guy to rape some other chick? Horseshit.
Old 9th July 2014, 21:47     #56
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Yeah and that's a horseshit idea. What, if I say that some chick on tv has nice tits then I'm contributing to some culture that makes it okay for some other guy to rape some other chick? Horseshit.
when it gets to that level people start using the word trigger warning and i stop listening. people being overly PC namby pambys is my trigger
Old 9th July 2014, 22:59     #57
[Malks] Pixie

There's a whole lot of retarded going on in this thread and it ain't from the people I expect it to come from.

Pixie
Old 9th July 2014, 23:03     #58
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Finally some sense.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:29     #59
pxpx

When adonis sees an attractive female form and his heart rate increases fractionally, does he self flagellate because of impure thoughts.

Last edited by pxpx : 9th July 2014 at 23:31.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:37     #60
CCS
Stunt Pants

^^ Probably. When I saw Kat Dennings' cleavage on TV tonight I was a little aroused. Then I handed myself in at the police station because rapist.
Old 16th July 2014, 23:52     #61
CCS
Stunt Pants

Just FYI - I have not punched any women in the face all week. So... still nothing to apologise for.
Old 17th July 2014, 17:40     #62
crocos

Not even a falcon-punch? Such restraint!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th July 2014, 17:50     #63
CCS
Stunt Pants

Haven't raped anyone either. Or anything.

I did kinda grope myself with my hand so... OHMYGOD I'M A RAPIST!!!
Old 17th July 2014, 18:14     #64
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You might be Schrodinger's Rapist.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:31     #65
CCS
Stunt Pants

We are all Schrodinger's Rapist.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:44     #66
[Malks] Pixie

<sigh>