Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 19th September 2014, 10:20     #1681
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe
Maybe next election there should be some kind of quality assurance around polling.
Maybe we should ban political polling? That probably wouldn't work, but the current situation is far from satisfactory.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:30     #1682
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

lulz

Old 19th September 2014, 10:43     #1683
CCS
Stunt Pants

Election night

So... election night coverage for TV One, TV3 and Maori TV starts from 7pm til 12ish or whenever they realise that the country has gone to sleep.

I'm predicting it will be the same dull predictable affair as every other televised election night since forever. Meangingful results don't start showing up until around 10ish. Up until then, it's just bunch of boring talking heads. News readers, pundits, washed up politicians, talking about nothing in particlar. Periodically they read out some results statistically insignificant results as the networks compete to see whose graphics are least shitty. You may as well skip the whole thing and then tune in to the 6pm news to see who is most likely to acquiesce to Winston.

Discourse Votes 2014 is alternative online election night coverage. "Join us on election night, live online, for NZ's sweariest and most irreverent election results show. There will be results, and arguments, and nonsense and beer." I don't know anything about these Discourse people, but it sounds promising.

KiwiFM has an "alternative election night audio commentary from Rose Matafeo and a group of the comedians and writers behind 7 Days and JABAT - plus cameos from Dai Henwood, Jono and Ben and more."

I'll probably be flicking between the channels (out of morbid car-crash curiosity), Discourse, and shoving a knitting needle up my dick while masturbating with hot sauce in between.

I wonder if there's any other alternative election night coverage?
Old 19th September 2014, 11:32     #1684
Lightspeed

Harawira riled at backing for Labour

I assume Ab isn't commenting on this because he's hoping beyond hope and doesn't want to jinx it.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:51     #1685
Spink

In addition to FJ's

stuff

Last edited by Spink : 19th September 2014 at 11:52. Reason: table breaked
Old 19th September 2014, 11:56     #1686
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You may as well skip the whole thing and then tune in to the 6pm news to see who is most likely to acquiesce to Winston.
Or <shudder> Colin.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th September 2014, 11:58     #1687
Spink

I wonder how much that had to have cost for all of that, either in back room deals or hard cash.
Old 19th September 2014, 12:06     #1688
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Or <shudder> Colin.
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
I wonder how much that had to have cost for all of that, either in back room deals or hard cash.
I bet the Herald did it for free because they're so biased an' all.
Old 19th September 2014, 12:08     #1689
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
For some reason I'm reminded of...

Old 19th September 2014, 12:10     #1690
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

I bet the Herald did it for free because they're so biased an' all.
+1
Old 19th September 2014, 12:46     #1691
CCS
Stunt Pants

Election night

TV3 talks up its boring shitty election night coverage:

Quote:
"Cutting-Edge" graphics to fire up TV3's election night coverage

Duncan Garner will use 3D virtual studio technology to illustrate the voting numbers with instant updates from polling booths around the country.
Whoop-de-shit. TV One did that in 2005.

Of course, that was 2005 tech and in the intervening 9 years, TV3 ought to manage to out class that.

Quote:
This is seriously ground-breaking. Think CNN, think ITN, now think TV3 on election night
If it has already been done by CNN, ITN and TVNZ then it's not groundbreaking. Christ I hope they don't do a bullshitty hologram.

Quote:
We were the first to use interactive touchscreen graphics
ZOMG we get to see a person on TV touching a screen and adding nothing of value to the coverage? Holy shit grandma, glue your wig on tight cuz dis gon be a helluva ride!
Old 19th September 2014, 12:47     #1692
pxpx

I'd rather have Winston than Colin in a National government to be honest.

Even though I despise how he operates, he seems to genuinely want to represent his constituents.

In my view, old people deserve more representation than crazy people.
Old 19th September 2014, 12:50     #1693
CCS
Stunt Pants

Election night

TVNZ to offer up same boring tweedy coverage that they do every 3 years.

Quote:
On Saturday 20 September, after the 6.00pm ONE News hour, Mike Hosking, Toni Street, Corin Dann, Simon Dallow, Heather du Plessis-Allan are in the studio until midnight as election results come in from around the country. Joining them will be guest commentators, including; Michelle Boag, Mike Williams, Stacey Morrison and Wallace Chapman.

ONE News presenters and reporters – including Rawdon Christie, Melissa Stokes, Peter Williams, Katie Bradford and Michael Parkin - are out on location at every political party base; talking to voters as well as candidates and covering the reactions as votes are counted.
IS YOUR CUNT WET YET? MINE IS!
Old 19th September 2014, 13:39     #1694
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
I'd rather have Winston than Colin in a National government to be honest.

Even though I despise how he operates, he seems to genuinely want to represent his constituents.

In my view, old people deserve more representation than crazy people.
for once I 100% agree with something you posted. I'm honestly shocked. turning point 2014
Old 19th September 2014, 14:53     #1695
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe
I've also just realised National's 'boost' was -0.4%. wtf?
If this is accurate, the NZHerald's headline of "National's Dotcom Bust Poll Boost" (or whatever it is on their news stands) should count as a electoral advertisement.
Old 19th September 2014, 14:56     #1696
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
With 60 per cent of the poll done by Monday night, when the event happened, National was polling at 47.8 per cent, down on last week, said DigiPoll general manager Nandan Modak. From Tuesday it jumped to 49.1 per cent.

A similar trend was seen in the preferred Prime Minister polling. Before Monday, Mr Key was polling at 63.4 per cent. From Tuesday it jumped to 66.4 per cent.
Old 19th September 2014, 15:01     #1697
Spink

I just wanna take a moment to say how thankful I am that NZG isn't a liberal hugbox like the NZ thread in D&D
Old 19th September 2014, 15:01     #1698
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Totally, but it's a bit of a fucking stretch.
Old 19th September 2014, 15:56     #1699
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
for once I 100% agree with something you posted. I'm honestly shocked. turning point 2014
oh I didn't say why. im looking forward to henry and Campbell getting into screaming match. well that's what I expect.
Old 19th September 2014, 16:20     #1700
pxpx

iPredict at the moment:

$0.40 on NZ First to be in Parliament but NOT hold balance of power.
$0.37 on NZ First to be in Parliament and support National.
$0.13 on NZ First to be in Parliament and support Labour.

$0.85 on a National PM after the election.
$0.12 on a Labour PM after the election.

$0.50 on Mana getting a seat
Old 19th September 2014, 16:40     #1701
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Te Tai Tokerau is the Internana's only chance of getting into Parliament. I would love for Kelvin Davis to take that seat.

Edit update reality check from righty blogger Barnsley Bill:

Quote:
Harawira will win Te Tai Tokerau. And it will not be close, in fact he will increase his majority by a few thousand votes.

I would love for this not to be true.

If he loses then Internet Mana will not be in parliament and the thought of Rosa Klebb having to go away and lick her wounds is an exciting prospect.
But they will not lose.

A poll by Maori TV last night claims Kelvin is within 1 point. This poll is a nonsense.

Everything I know about the electorate in the North tells me this. Young Maori in Whangerai and further north just do not have landlines. They cannot be polled. My experience of dealing with around 150 mainly Maori families over the last year demonstrates clearly that as well as not having land lines most of them cannot seem to keep the same mobile number for more than three months. Polling these people would be like trying to herd cats.
The money that has been spread around to get out the vote and the sheer number of people working the campaign for him with signage, t shirts, placards and painted cars is amazing. The local facebook pages are riddled with his supporters. Kelvin is sadly the right man at the wrong time. He started late, is unsupported and underfunded.

I say sadly because if he did win it would deny one of the head office nobodies at the top of the Labour list another turn at the trough.

Maori were 46000 of the 151000 counted in the census before last up here. A strong, competent, honest and trustworthy member of parliament representing them is vital for everybody in the north. They are not going to get that with Hone.

Ngapuhi will never stop squabbling amongst themselves long enough to collect their settlement money while the Harawira family hold sway.
Old 19th September 2014, 17:54     #1702
blynk

So tomorrow, you are not allowed to try and influence the way people vote. But I guess I could spam as many people as I can on Facebook at 11:55pm, and then when everyone wakes up in the morning they will see it.
Old 19th September 2014, 18:20     #1703
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That seems so quaint. I'm now used to a crowd of people all trying to thrust "HOW TO VOTE" cards into my hand literally as I'm walking into the polling station.
Old 19th September 2014, 18:31     #1704
Lightspeed

That's what I love about NZ, any number of quaint laws that make the country a great place to live.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:14     #1705
leadinjector

what am i watching on tv3? which PM would win in an armwrestle? man i love NZ
Old 19th September 2014, 19:14     #1706
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh it's all done in good humour. I've never had anyone be a cock about it

But back to NZ - Princess HTTPd her vote in earlier today. Jealous.

Latest average of polling looks like Nat+Act+UF+Maori = possibly hitting 62. Fuck relying on Winston.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:24     #1707
zeekiorage

Did a quick browse of NZ Herald's policy summary of various parties - terrible editing by the way. I can't find a single party that I would fully endorse. All of them have some amount of crazy. The craziest of them all are: ACT, Conservative and Internet-Mana. Actually, IMNSHO, ACT is fucking bat shit crazy, it's almost like they are after the bat shit crazy voters.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:30     #1708
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
Did a quick browse of NZ Herald's policy summary of various parties - terrible editing by the way. I can't find a single party that I would fully endorse. All of them have some amount of crazy. The craziest of them all are: ACT, Conservative and Internet-Mana. Actually, IMNSHO, ACT is fucking bat shit crazy, it's almost like they are after the bat shit crazy voters.
Act's going through an existential crisis; it's a liberal party that thinks it can get elected through espousing conservative policies, which is pretty fucking retarded. If you want to be libertarian then fucking be it.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:33     #1709
pxpx

What are the rules about talking election stuff pre 7pm NZT on NZG?
Old 19th September 2014, 20:25     #1710
Spink

People post on NZG on weekends? I thought people only posted from work.
Old 19th September 2014, 21:51     #1711
fixed_truth

Quote:
Quote:
Any attempts to influence voters or discuss candidates and parties is in breach of the Electoral Act.
Which seems to be quite broad.
Old 19th September 2014, 22:05     #1712
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Old 19th September 2014, 22:07     #1713
pxpx

Zombie winston haunts my nightmares
Old 19th September 2014, 22:20     #1714
Spink

Quote:
http://www.elections.org.nz/parties-...e-social-media
Old 20th September 2014, 00:36     #1715
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuckit.dintcarethusyear.
Old 20th September 2014, 07:17     #1716
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
They sure are.
https://twitter.com/LizlovesSydney/s...33957210341376
Old 20th September 2014, 13:37     #1717
CCS
Stunt Pants

Vote casteded. Stroll along to other end of the street, no queue, handed voting paper by a guy who looked like a non-crippled Stephen Hawking, two ticks cast for REDACTED. Easy. In and out.

Why do some people take so long marking their vote? Have they seriously not even thought about it yet? Are they reading every name to see if there's one they like the sound of better than the names they're already familiar with?
Old 20th September 2014, 15:19     #1718
Deadmeat

I know that I took a moment or two to chuckle at some of the parties on the party list, i didn't know going in that there was a party running as "Anti 1080" for example.
Old 20th September 2014, 16:26     #1719
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I know that I took a moment or two to chuckle at some of the parties on the party list, i didn't know going in that there was a party running as "Anti 1080" for example.
Then I guess you didn't read the papers with your EasyVote card, else you would have known about the "Ban 1080" party

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th September 2014, 17:01     #1720
Deadmeat

Heh, i didn't even open it
I rocked in all old school and told them my name
They were all "Wot?! NO EZVOTE?1 No Prob nigga we got yo"

POW
Voted.