Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 4th September 2015, 12:15     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Refugees

I almost need to recuse myself from this discussion because I literally live in a country that puts refugees in concentration camps. Is NZ doing its fair share? Is "fair" enough?
Old 4th September 2015, 12:36     #2
pxpx

I'm gonna go with "probably not" and guess that It'll increase in the coming months.

I dread the 0.001% (or less) of those refugees possibly having extremist views or criminal tendencies and eventually ruining it for everyone else.
Old 4th September 2015, 13:17     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dunno bout you guys but when I see confused people holding children getting stuffed on trains in Hungary by uniformed guards with batons after being told that the trains are heading for somewhere nice when in reality the trains are heading for somewhere not nice, well that's a combo that almost makes my brain shut down.
Old 4th September 2015, 13:26     #4
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah that happens on NakedBus all the time.
Old 4th September 2015, 13:52     #5
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I almost need to recuse myself from this discussion because I literally live in a country that puts refugees in concentration camps. Is NZ doing its fair share? Is "fair" enough?
Refugees would requires services and support we're not willing to provide our own citizens.

Fair/unfair doesn't really come into it. We don't want to help those in need, we want to keep our money. That's the long and short of it.
Old 4th September 2015, 14:07     #6
spigalau

Isn't the fix just to give them Stewart Island, so they can then make ISISI (Islamic State In Stewart Island) ?

But on a serious note, do we have the capacity & resources to take on a larger number of refugees. We already have a housing short fall in Auckland, rebuild delays in Christchurch, etc.
Old 4th September 2015, 14:24     #7
CCS
Stunt Pants

The answer is simple. Send them to Christchurch and point toward a pile of timber, nails and hammers.
Old 4th September 2015, 15:02     #8
xor

Hate to sound NIMBY buuuuuuuut

What are the costs?
Are there any stats that can report on what refugees are on the benefit?
Old 4th September 2015, 15:33     #9
Lightspeed

GMG this apparent shock over the image of this refugee toddler drowned on the beach. That the numbers being reported drowned for months and months hasn't been enough to shock people.
Old 4th September 2015, 15:34     #10
xor

It's the new Kony2012
Old 4th September 2015, 17:15     #11
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Hate to sound NIMBY buuuuuuuut

What are the costs?
Are there any stats that can report on what refugees are on the benefit?
50 Mil/Year of our taxes currently spent on refugee support.

Given Nelson is saying 'give us more' I gather they're in demand so would assume the number of them on benefits is lower than that among the general NZ populace.

Maybe add some more regional centers like Nelson to the receiving areas.
Though Nelson potentially has the existing base of interpreters, which other regional towns may not have, so not quite that easy.
Old 4th September 2015, 17:32     #12
fixed_truth

We're probably going to need to get ready for the future - climate refugees.
Old 4th September 2015, 22:05     #13
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
...and sanctions rape and abuse by the administrators, with anyone who narcs being imprisoned for 2 years?
Old 4th September 2015, 23:19     #14
crocos

Frankly it seems like 90% of Aussie politicos should be buried in the bottom of one of the mines they're so fond of bending over backwards for.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th September 2015, 18:59     #15
fixed_truth

Wasn't expecting that -

Australia to resettle 12,000 Syrian refugees
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...09-gjibqz.html
Old 9th September 2015, 19:47     #16
fixed_truth

Ahhh . . . bomb the Muslims, save the Christians

Syrian migrant crisis: Christians to get priority as Abbott faces pressure to take in more refugees
Australia looks set to start bombing Syria as Libs warn against too much refugee compassion
Old 9th September 2015, 22:00     #17
Lightspeed

This whole refugee situation is a lesson on the values of power.

Just like an abused child is responsible for the actions that rise from their trauma, we can make out that it wasn't the destruction wrought on the region by the actions powerful states that has led to this crisis. No, it's sectarianism, or something like that.

And how is the burden of this refugee crisis proportioned? Certainly not on those most able to bare this burden. No, it falls much more on those who cannot avoid the burden rather than those who can bare it.
Old 14th September 2015, 14:53     #18
Lightspeed

What I'd be interested in understanding is why is the refugee situation peaking now. The conflict in Syria has been dire for some time. ISIS gains perhaps? Or newly open safe corridors?
Old 14th September 2015, 15:16     #19
pxpx

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...t_syrianiraqi/
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:17     #20
Lightspeed

John Green on the refugee crisis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVV6_1Sef9M