Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 12th June 2017, 01:04     #41
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Ethereum grows in value based on the combination of valuable startups built upon the tech.
This is the real value of Ethereum. It's easy to get caught up in the currency, but it's the emerging infrastructure that's really exciting. But it's still at the level of early 90s Internet. Give it 15 years, we'll be all how did we cope without this?
Old 12th June 2017, 10:33     #42
blynk

I know this is how the market works for anything, but I have always found this weird that a currency can have such dramatic changes.

IMO, for these currencies to work, the need to be more stable.

Stupid currency speculation
Old 12th June 2017, 11:53     #43
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
Curious how you know the geographical origin of the money?
Based on timing of trades?

I have a few positions in play. Had a stop loss get triggered at $306 USD earlier today on a few ETH I was messing with. Basically dropped to $304 then shot back up again. Was mighty pleased with the paper gains of ETH until I got an email telling me the stop loss had been triggered. Fail.

The exchanges - Bithumb and Coinone are Korean, Huobi and OKCoin chinese.
I'm enjoying watching the ETC/BTC... that to me is more important because while it is climbing, it means more people are leaving BTC for ETH.
Just threw 1 Eth at Swift City for S&G...
Old 12th June 2017, 12:37     #44
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
Curious how you know the geographical origin of the money?
Based on timing of trades?

I have a few positions in play. Had a stop loss get triggered at $306 USD earlier today on a few ETH I was messing with. Basically dropped to $304 then shot back up again. Was mighty pleased with the paper gains of ETH until I got an email telling me the stop loss had been triggered. Fail.
Watch out, this is a common tactic on Forex markets as well. Big players can downward spike the price to trigger people's stop losses, and then they make gold when it pops back up to normal.
Old 12th June 2017, 14:52     #45
Nich

Yeah you need to have super human reflexes to game the exchanges. I don't play with my ETH anymore. i am definitely a HODLER
Old 12th June 2017, 15:07     #46
Lightspeed

I've hedl since I first got in. I only wish I knew it would jump up so quickly, I might have tried to pull together some more cash sooner. I was settled in for a good few more years < $50.

I think the value will eventually settle down, but not for years. I don't see it continuing the daily average increase of 2%. But who knows.
Old 12th June 2017, 23:45     #47
kRAdENkO

Huge movement tonight, up to $400 usd from $330 this morning then back to $366 right now.

Completed 4 trades in the last hour, seem to be in sync with the market right now so made some $$$. Nothing huge, but pretty fun.

Thanks for the info regarding exchanges.
Old 13th June 2017, 00:04     #48
Nich

Poloniex has a massive buy wall for ETH/BTC

it almost hit 0.15 ETH / 1 BTC

also, the 24hr volume has BTC at 33% of all crypto, ETH is 31% ..

the flippening is happening. Only $80m in volume difference between them and ETH has hardly begun to reach its market cap potential
Old 15th June 2017, 20:29     #49
Nich

US Congress is proposing a bill to regulate "digital currencies"

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...95bb56c8bbbda5

stickied here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/c...ing_to_pass_a/

Why does Donald Trump not want everyone to have Lambos ? It's an extension of the Civil forfeiture laws. gross

But good luck trying to implement infrastructure that detects whether someone has access to a bitcoin private key or not... or any of the other million alt coin wallet private keys...

Last edited by Nich : 15th June 2017 at 20:31.
Old 15th June 2017, 23:21     #50
crocos

Yeah, then you get people that actually read the bill instead of just doing a knee-jerk repost from elsewhere and you get this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/c...ass_a/dix8mtn/

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 7th October 2017, 11:57     #51
Lightspeed

It's been a stable month or so. Pressure is building, could be an interesting day.
Old 13th October 2017, 14:08     #52
Lightspeed

Well BTC is jumping. ETH is holding fast.
Old 15th October 2017, 23:24     #53
Lightspeed

Ridiculous week for BTC: up 25%. I figure eventually that value will tip over to ETH. Five years time, maybe.

Hard fork for ETH tomorrow.
Old 1st November 2017, 23:07     #54
Lightspeed

Bitcoin is doing crazy things. Anyone still have any? ETH is real stable right now, I think gains above US$300 are being transferred to BTC.

BCH is just stupid right now, someone's getting sucked in.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:54     #55
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I have a very small amount from mining. I keep an eye on the price, but it would need to go 10 or 100x it's current value to be worthy of any sort of celebration.
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:45     #56
Jodi

I SOLD ALL 350 COINS FOR $4/COIN 3 YEARS AGO I'M NOT SALTY!
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:13     #57
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Wacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Sux
Old 7th November 2017, 15:25     #58
Lightspeed

I'm still hearing talk of ETH plunging or spiking. But it still seems strangely wedded to US$300.
Old 11th November 2017, 11:04     #59
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Worth over NZD$3 million today - I'd be salty.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:03     #60
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Worth over NZD$3 million today - I'd be salty.
I'm thinking he was referring to ETH, not BTC. BTC was worth alot more than $4 each 3 years ago. Still, he'd have over 100k NZD now if he had HODL.
Old 14th November 2017, 18:07     #61
Savage

Made a nice little packet trading between BTC, BCC, and BTG on the weekend
Lost a fair bit betting on BTG when it first came out last month, so glad it paid off at last.
Old 14th November 2017, 19:43     #62
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
I'm thinking he was referring to ETH, not BTC. BTC was worth alot more than $4 each 3 years ago. Still, he'd have over 100k NZD now if he had HODL.

I was remembering the bitcoin thread, in which Jodi mined and sold a bunch of BTC in the early days.

Thread features tragicomic gems such as:

Quote:
I'll trade you 50bt for $48 NZD.

I am ashamed at my own lack of bitcoin vision in that thread.
Old 15th November 2017, 14:57     #63
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
I was remembering the bitcoin thread, in which Jodi mined and sold a bunch of BTC in the early days.

As am I lol. Imagine buying 1000 bitcoin for $1 USD back in 2009... fark. Still, made a few gains on my coins and hoping down the line, my others will kick ass too.
Old 15th November 2017, 18:42     #64
Lightspeed

Most of the money in crypto is still from speculators and /r/wallstreetbets players.

Once people start buying crypto because they want to use it (i.e. ETH), that's when things will get interesting.

I mean US$20B in BCH. That's just nuts.

There will be a big crash in all crypto before too long. Which will be the time to buy ETH.
Old 15th November 2017, 21:27     #65
Ajax
Architeuthis

The thing that worries me about Eth is the lack of a cap on supply.
Old 16th November 2017, 14:19     #66
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
Nope, BTC. I mined over 350 coins when I mined, sold most at under $1 each, and quite a few at $4 each. Sold my last 10 coins at $700 (nzd) each.

I've also lost $12k on forex as well when I dabbled with that.

If you need to make money disappear really fast then listen to my investment advice.

NOT SALTY AT ALL!
Old 16th November 2017, 15:32     #67
Lightspeed

I know a guy who made hundreds of thousands off next to nothing but lost it all speculating.

I'm not a millionaire yet, but it's in the realm of possibility. A much more real possibility for some of my friends who had money lying about in the early days.
Old 17th November 2017, 09:36     #68
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
The thing that worries me about Eth is the lack of a cap on supply.
Ice age, POS and upcoming forks are supposed to more or less put an end to that.
Old 17th November 2017, 09:37     #69
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Nope, BTC. I mined over 350 coins when I mined, sold most at under $1 each, and quite a few at $4 each. Sold my last 10 coins at $700 (nzd) each.

I've also lost $12k on forex as well when I dabbled with that.

If you need to make money disappear really fast then listen to my investment advice.

NOT SALTY AT ALL!
I resurrected the HDD from my mining box the other day. Found the wallet.dat. Got the public keys, plugged them into blockchain info, and saw the number "35".
My heart skipped a beat, then I realised that was the number that the wallet contained, as in past tense. Big fat 0 in the current balance
Old 17th November 2017, 12:30     #70
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I know a guy who made hundreds of thousands off next to nothing but lost it all speculating.

I'm not a millionaire yet, but it's in the realm of possibility. A much more real possibility for some of my friends who had money lying about in the early days.

Out of interest and totally unrelated to this thread; but what makes someone a millionaire? Is it having $1m in liquid assets only, or do all assets count? Net of debts or gross?
Old 20th November 2017, 12:02     #71
Lightspeed

ETH seems to have bucked $300 at last, at least for now. Everything is going up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Out of interest and totally unrelated to this thread; but what makes someone a millionaire? Is it having $1m in liquid assets only, or do all assets count? Net of debts or gross?
Traditionally I think it's net worth. But given house prices being what they are, I think net worth minus the value of the property you live in is more reasonable. Or maybe just having a million you can spend without impacting your day-to-day.
Old 20th November 2017, 12:54     #72
Know me.

The question is, would you buy bitcoin now at $10,000 considering that it could go all the way up to $1,000,000 or much more?
Old 20th November 2017, 13:39     #73
Lightspeed

It's no different from any other speculative bubble.

ETH's value is somewhat problematic. The developers figured they had more time before it would hold any significant value, but now there's billions involved there is considerable pressure to perform and not fuck with people's money.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:19     #74
pxpx

making my way through this online course:
https://courses.edx.org/courses/cour...3T2017/course/

pretty good for nubs like who have no idea about blockchain and distributed ledger tech, but kind of need to be across potential future use in business.

less about the economics and more about the technologies

(and its free)

Last edited by pxpx : 22nd November 2017 at 11:21.
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:25     #75
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

word
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:46     #76
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I've caught the bug so bad that I'm getting solar panels installed so I can mine for free* during the day.

If mining/cryptos turn to shit, I'll end up with panels on my roof that do nothing more than supply me with power for 25+ years and make me a modern day hippy. It's possible that I would get better returns just buying BTC and selling later, but I can't bring myself to pay real money for what is ultimately the solution to some nonce-ence equation. I do expect/hope the mining will pay for the installation within a few(?) years.

* I know, it's not really free.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:02     #77
Lightspeed

What's your solar setup?
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:58     #78
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm getting 4 x 270W Canadian Solar panels (~1kW) with Enphase microinverters - the smallest installation they bother with. No battery/storage at this stage, but maybe in a few years if the price comes down. Installation is pencilled in sometime before Xmas, but the installer has yet to confirm a date.

My current mining setup is currently using ~300-350W with 3 cards, but I have some inefficient cards/machines/miners (another 200-600W) that I wouldn't mind using to supplement them during the day. The Enphase system has an API for production/consumption data, and I have Belkin Wemo switches that also have APIs for turning things on/off. I can hopefully maximise mining while minimising grid consumption.

At the current mining/BTC rate the 3 cards would pay for the solar ($5k) in 3-4 years, but that is of course subject to huge volatility so I can't depend on that being the case and I'm basically betting on Bitcoin/crypto mining (in whatever form) continuing to be relevant. As I've learned from silly TAB gambling, these things are more fun when you have skin in the game
Old 25th November 2017, 12:06     #79
Lightspeed

That sounds like fun. Probably would make more just straight up buying crypto. Sustainable mining is the future I guess.

Pretty much everything is up big right now. Not even ETH could resist the rise.

It's a bit weird TBH. Maybe crypto is big news somewhere right now.
Old 25th November 2017, 12:56     #80
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Pretty much everything is up big right now. Not even ETH could resist the rise.

Bitcoin Cash was being driven up by heavy spending on Korean exchanges - looks to have subsided somewhat now but I believe that's having a residual halo effect on the whole crypto market.

It's really quite alarming how much the crypto market is driven by news items, commentary, disinformation, etc. What a fucking circus.