NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 30th July 2019, 19:40     #41641
MadMax
Stuff

I had a nightmare last night that the machine used in the pike river mine disturbed and released some creatures from Doom/Quake
Old 3rd August 2019, 22:26     #41642
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Book of Mormon is pants-wettingly brilliant and when it opens in NZ next March you all have to go.
Old 3rd August 2019, 23:13     #41643
Lightspeed

Their paper ad was actually annoyingly effective today. NZH ad cover that just says "The Mormons Are Coming" with a date. With "Mormons" right on the fold, so you see it repeated over and over.

So I'm like, okay, wtf. I know it's an ad which instantly means I don't want to know. But what fucking Mormons are coming?

So I open it up and I see "Oooh, it's production. Yeah, that makes sense. Fucking paper."

Then someone asked me who the Mormons are, which was a fun story to tell, so it worked out.
Old 3rd August 2019, 23:18     #41644
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Went tonight and I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. Just fucking brilliant.
Old 4th August 2019, 15:21     #41645
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Went tonight and I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. Just fucking brilliant.
I’ve got my tickets! Looking forward to seeing it 😄
Old 8th August 2019, 12:31     #41647
StN
I have detailed files

WTF - did it start when the specific policies were implemented, when he was appointed Chancellor, or when the various oppressive supporting laws crept into play (Eugenics, euthanasia etc)?

Last edited by StN : 8th August 2019 at 12:35.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:40     #41648
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

December 1941. The author would know that if she wasn't ignorant of what the Holocaust was, which is the ironic bit.
Old 8th August 2019, 14:37     #41649
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

It's like how people say it took the US 6 years to get a man on the moon. Everyone knows it only took them 3 days to leave Earth and travel to the moon. Just because you commit to a plan and start building and testing rockets 6 years earlier, doesn't mean you're actually "putting a man on the moon". I would know, I once memorised "July 1969", and I'll be damned if some journalist (especially a woman) is going to tell me 1963.
Old 8th August 2019, 14:42     #41650
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

and it's like that... how?
Old 8th August 2019, 16:27     #41651
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Concentration camps for "undesirables" began being built in 1933 (Dachau), and the government began "isolating Jews from civil society" in the same year. Sure, the "launch" of the Final Solution wasn't until the end of 1941, but there was a plan in place and the building of camps to get rid of certain people was in progress from 1933 onward. You can't send people to concentration camps [take a rocket to the moon] without having the camps [rocket] ready in the first place - they didn't build them overnight.
Old 8th August 2019, 20:02     #41652
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sure there were concentration camps and Einsatzgruppen conducting mass killings of all sorts of people before then, but wiping out the Jews wasn't official state policy until Dec 41. The state trying to exterminate the Jews is the Holocaust bit. To use your example, people were experimenting with rockets for years but the moon program started when Kennedy made putting a man on the moon govt policy. You can't say "nah, the Nazis had V2 rockets in 1945" because that wasn't part of the "putting a man on the moon" program.

Fuck, always the Nazis
Old 10th August 2019, 10:31     #41653
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I was just walking past a Hallensteins store in the mall at the exact moment a dude picked up an armful of clothes and walked out with them.. I took a few pics, but they were from the back, and suggested to the solo store clerk that they'd probably have his face on cctv.. but nah, they don't have one. Oh well, dude has new gears for tonight.
Old 12th August 2019, 14:01     #41654
MadMax
Stuff

So I got asked how to change the ringing tone on one’s desk phone. My answer was simply “just press transfer, 111 and use the volume control to select”.

Queue them Picking up the handset, pressing transfer then dialling 111.
Old 14th August 2019, 13:37     #41655
CCS
Stunt Pants

US Govt rules airlines must allow miniature horses to fly as 'Service Animals'

Fucking retarded. If I have to evacuate a plane and a pony is in my way, it's getting a boot.
Old 14th August 2019, 14:15     #41656
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

People are posting photos of food on their heads and a blogger is offended
Old 14th August 2019, 14:20     #41657
Lightspeed

Maoris and their culture, pffft. Maoris didn't use blogs before, why are they using them now!!?!
Old 14th August 2019, 17:00     #41658
fixed_truth

I think context is important as the campaign doesn't seem to be claiming to be representing anything Maori nor operating in a Maori space.
Old 14th August 2019, 17:27     #41659
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Maoris and their culture, pffft. Maoris didn't use blogs before, why are they using them now!!?!
Pretty sure one aspect of that culture involved the food being people, so you know, culture isn’t fixed
Old 14th August 2019, 18:00     #41660
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...ional/11409944

Quote:
The Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne has said he would rather go to jail than report admissions of child sexual abuse made in the confessional.
People should be more inclusive and acknowledge Catholic culture
Old 14th August 2019, 21:10     #41661
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Pretty sure one aspect of that culture involved the food being people, so you know, culture isn’t fixed
That's right. But if culture can change, how do we know what culture is? I figure it's what people tell us their culture is.

It's up to us if we listen and how we respond. This also tells us what culture is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
People should be more inclusive and acknowledge Catholic culture
It surely thrives.
Old 15th August 2019, 02:29     #41662
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
I was just walking past a Hallensteins store in the mall at the exact moment a dude picked up an armful of clothes and walked out with them.. I took a few pics, but they were from the back, and suggested to the solo store clerk that they'd probably have his face on cctv.. but nah, they don't have one. Oh well, dude has new gears for tonight.
nark
Old 15th August 2019, 08:25     #41663
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I figure it's what people tell us their culture is.
I agree. The next question is that with Maori not being a homogeneous group, what people (or group(s)) have a mandate to define tikanga, and when something is being disrespectful & should change? From the outside this opinion piece seems a bit over the top but maybe it is something deemed deeply offensive in Maoridom?
Old 16th August 2019, 19:07     #41664
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Because I defer to millennial safe space The Spinoff in all things, I was forewarned about the unpredictable nature of posts in this thread and how hard I would have to work on my responses:

Quote:
4 – 7 August – Tamatea a ngana, Tamatea a hotu, Tamatea a io and Tamatea kai ariki: This is a very unpredictable time. We are warned to take extra caution on these days, especially in August.

14 – 16 August – Oturu, Rakaunui and Rakau ma tohi: These are the highest energy days of the month and fall on and around the full moon. These days are great for high activity, events, sports, planting and most things that require energy. Get your to-do list done!

https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/09-08-...taka-aponga-2/
if you find this advice questionable I advise you to check your white privilege and respect tikanga
Old 19th August 2019, 01:28     #41665
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The Book of Mormon is pants-wettingly brilliant and when it opens in NZ next March you all have to go.
...so good in fact that I went again (and took MHG) to the closing performance in Adelaide tonight. Just impossibly good. My hands are throbbing lumps of pain from applauding so hard for so long.

Do yourself a favour and get to the Auckland shows, selling fast:

http://bookofmormonmusical.co.nz
Old 19th August 2019, 23:00     #41666
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Lightbulb

TIL: There is no wavelength of monochromatic light for magenta. I knew white was a mix of all, and I knew of RGB and CMYK, but missed the part where magenta was the odd one out for being a construct of our brain (extra-spectral).
Old 20th August 2019, 12:04     #41667
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
if you find this advice questionable I advise you to check your white privilege and respect tikanga

U got a fukken weather forecast for the weekend then? Or do I need to ask Ken Ring?
Old 20th August 2019, 16:56     #41668
MadMax
Stuff

Forgot your supermarket bag? Sweet as just grab one from the veggie isle.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:46     #41669
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Forgot your supermarket bag? Sweet as just grab one from the veggie isle.
You mean the ones that can basically handle no wait, and would tear if you put anything with a slight corner in.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:56     #41670
pxpx

two homophone confusions in two posts? stahp it nzg.

"as impatient as a plastic bag upon an enormous mass of vegetables in the middle of a body of water"

Last edited by pxpx : 21st August 2019 at 12:58.
Old 21st August 2019, 13:18     #41671
CCS
Stunt Pants

^^^
Old 21st August 2019, 14:14     #41672
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
You mean the ones that can basically handle no wait,
Brah grab a long one from the hardware store for me.
Old 21st August 2019, 18:04     #41673
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Or you could just take your basket out of the store and bring it back after dumping the items in your car, like you would if you had a trolley full of stuff and really didn't want any more bags?

Hey genius, go put some in your car right now.
Old 24th August 2019, 10:20     #41674
MadMax
Stuff

Westpac are dropping and moving from Visa to Mastercard. That's fine except, due to how we put everything on the credit card so puchases come out of our mortgage offsetting account (split floating+fixed) up to 50 days later (and get the points), it's not going to be fun updating all the direct debits/apps/websites that we purchase through.

Ah well, wonder if we then get Apple pay - something not offered with Westpac's Visa.
Old 24th August 2019, 10:22     #41675
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Or you could just take your basket out of the store and bring it back after dumping the items in your car, like you would if you had a trolley full of stuff and really didn't want any more bags?

Hey genius, go put some in your car right now.
My degree of sarcasm depends on your degree of stupidity.
Old 25th August 2019, 18:27     #41676
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

May I introduce to you:

The AU$475 shoehorn

For when you bought shoes that are probably a size too small, but just can't afford a new pair.

Made in Vietnam, so you know you're getting quality.

Edit: Whoops, random politics, not random thoughts
Old 26th August 2019, 14:56     #41677
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ladies and gentlemen, Rod Stewart

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1cp5IFHF6k/
Old 26th August 2019, 15:41     #41678
StN
I have detailed files

Look at his slippers.. Man cougar ?

Rachael looks younger there than when I got my pic with her two years ago.
Old 26th August 2019, 15:42     #41679
Lightspeed

That guy has it sussed.
Old 26th August 2019, 17:13     #41680
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Damn it, she got me!