NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 28th September 2004, 20:56     #1
Wally Simmonds

Headphones...again

Ive looked through a couple of threads regarding fairly decent headphones and am loooking to replace my current useless ipod ones - my question, whats a good mobile headphone? Those sennheiser px200's look pretty sweet to me
Old 28th September 2004, 22:45     #2
BaM
Freeloader

Thumbs up

Sony MDR-EX70

I have some - they rawk.
Old 29th September 2004, 00:37     #3
Trigger
Laserman

I recently purchased Technics RP-DH1200 headphones and they are very impressive. Very clear and distinct frequencies, amazing bass. Alongside incredible sound they are very sturdy and the cord is detachable.
I upgraded from my Sony MRD-V500's and it was a very noticable difference
Old 29th September 2004, 09:20     #4
mark111

Question

those look pricey bam how much did you get em for?
Old 29th September 2004, 10:00     #5
yem

Canalphones, earphones, portable headphones, neckphones or big open circumaural headphones?
Old 29th September 2004, 11:34     #6
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by mark111
those look pricey bam how much did you get em for?
$100. Worth every dollar too.
Old 29th September 2004, 11:38     #7
Genesis

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger
I recently purchased Technics RP-DH1200 headphones and they are very impressive. Very clear and distinct frequencies, amazing bass. Alongside incredible sound they are very sturdy and the cord is detachable.
I upgraded from my Sony MRD-V500's and it was a very noticable difference
I use these a lot for my attempts at DJing, perfect headphones IMHO. And there a lot cheaper compared to some of it’s competition, but they still retail for around $299 from the DMC Store
Old 29th September 2004, 11:47     #8
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

I've got a pair of those sony in-ear things

Pros: Great sound. Really really good sound. Really really. And they block out stupid external noises like people/dogs/meteors.

Cons: For some stupid ass reason the recent models come with a split cable so you have either a reeeeally short one from the buds to the jack (probably to plug into remote controls) or connect it up to the longer cable. I find this horribly annoying because the cable is either too short or way too long.

Plus considering the price i tend to take care of them which means it's a little inconvenient putting them in their little container and pouch after each use.

So ... when i'm going on a trip - i'll use them to drown out plane/car noises. Otherwise i'll just use the standard earphones that came with my ipod.

In hindsight i probably shouldn't have bothered as it's not too often i'm on a plane etc and the mess of cables/pouches/plastic ear container really pisses me off.
Old 29th September 2004, 12:00     #9
Wally Simmonds

Anyone used those sennheisers? The 210's

Im primarily going to be using it when walking around town - and I dont really like the ipod ones.
Old 29th September 2004, 12:13     #10
illuzion
Herr Muppetführer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BaM
Sony MDR-EX70
I have some - they rawk.
I've got a couple of pairs of these and have to agree, they absolutely rock.

Earbuds usually sound terrible and get overlooked when shopping for decent sound on the go. I've had buds from Sennheiser, Sony, Koss, Philips and the generic rubbish you get with mp3/MD/CD players these days, none of them even come close. The EX70s are better than most headphones you'll find in the price range. I use them with my iPod and they sound great. They keep out more outside noise than the rest because they seal off your ear canal, very useful while trying to work in a noisy office.

Short of re-mortgaging to go for Etymotic Research or one of their competitors these are hands down the best $100 you'll spend on your ears.

Highly recommended.
Old 29th September 2004, 12:35     #11
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally posted by Genesis
I use these a lot for my attempts at DJing, perfect headphones IMHO. And there a lot cheaper compared to some of it’s competition, but they still retail for around $299 from the DMC Store
DMC represent!
Old 29th September 2004, 12:59     #12
Spidey

How good is the bass on those sony bad boys, i've recently purchased a set of sony headphones that is the second lowest priced headphones which were $100 silver and overall pretty nice. I hate wearing headphones unfortunately since it messes up my hair so how do these sony earbuds compare in terms of bass (since earbuds are known for shitty bass)

thx.
Old 29th September 2004, 13:02     #13
BaM
Freeloader

They have a ton of bass (although not too much like those horrible Koss in-ear things). You can't compare them to normal earbuds because they're nothing like them.
Old 29th September 2004, 13:40     #14
Wally Simmonds

Well, I'm gonna check out those sony things, I wouldnt mind getting either those or those sennheisers

I bow to the knowledge of the nzgames crowd
Old 29th September 2004, 14:37     #15
Torka

Went down to Sony Style and bought a pair of those Sonys just now after reading this thread.

Very impressed.
Old 29th September 2004, 15:05     #16
Wally Simmonds

Sweet, Im gonna go down there after work and get some too

We could start a gang
Old 29th September 2004, 15:09     #17
mark111

What was the retail price torka?
Old 29th September 2004, 15:27     #18
Torka

$99.
Old 29th September 2004, 18:53     #19
Wally Simmonds

Went down to the Sony shop, and now am very happy. Took me a little while to get used to the little buggers though - but it was kinda suprising, I went to say hi to someone whilst wearing them, and I could barely hear myself
Old 29th September 2004, 19:57     #20
Torka

Heh yeah, you can't hear shit with them on since they completely fill the ear canal.

It's a good thing IMO.
Old 30th September 2004, 06:39     #21
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Were the ones you guys got the type with the short cable?
Old 30th September 2004, 10:14     #22
Torka

Came with a really short attached cable, yeah, and a little extension cord of about a metre or so. From the manual booklet, it seems the idea is that you plug it into a remote LCD type thing if your portable player has one, which provides enough length already.

With the extension it's easily long enough to reach from my ears to my pants pocket with extra slack left, and I'm a tall guy.
Old 10th October 2004, 13:27     #23
p-b

Got a pair of the Sony MDREX71SL's the next one up from the EX70's.

They have the ludicriously short cable and the lucriously long extension with it, but the pod thing it comes with fixes the problem of the too long cable.

I'm REALLY impressed with the sound.
Old 10th October 2004, 13:31     #24
eliot

Quote:
Originally posted by BaM
I have some - they rawk.
Yah, gotta agree. I have a pair of those babies. Bloody awesome.
Old 15th October 2004, 15:32     #25
Boyd-Work
Frank's Pickle Barrel Ass

I use a pair of Shure E3c buds, they're excellent. Check ipodlounge.com, they often publish coupon codes you can use to get things like free shipping etc.
Old 16th October 2004, 10:34     #26
-Dr.J-

Shit

Hmmm I'll have to check this out.. I want something better than the earphones I have at the moment.
Old 16th October 2004, 19:13     #27
MadMax
Stuff

rofl - i hope sony is paying you for this bam
Old 16th October 2004, 19:15     #28
BaM
Freeloader

No.
Old 18th October 2004, 16:14     #29
Furry Crew

HD200 4 lif!

Old 18th October 2004, 16:54     #30
BaM
Freeloader

Have those as well - they're just not very convenient when you want to put them in your pocket.
Old 18th October 2004, 17:05     #31
scr
SO'S YOUR FACE!

are those sonys comfortable? usually earbuds hurt my ears like fuck after awhile.
Old 19th October 2004, 08:31     #32
EB

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiplash
Cons: For some stupid ass reason the recent models come with a split cable so you have either a reeeeally short one from the buds to the jack (probably to plug into remote controls) or connect it up to the longer cable. I find this horribly annoying because the cable is either too short or way too long.
They are remote friendly ear buds, I use them with my now aging MZ-N505 MD Walkman and they rock. Since I always use my Walkman with the remote I cannot use earphone/headphones with long cord so I was happy to get my EX71 as remote friendly ear pieces are rare in the local market.
Old 19th October 2004, 17:34     #33
Deadmeat

Upside down

Quote:
Originally posted by BaM
Have those as well - they're just not very convenient when you want to put them in your pocket.
They snap easily into 4 bits for convenient pocket storage.
Old 19th October 2004, 20:08     #34
Torka

Quote:
Originally posted by p-b
Got a pair of the Sony MDREX71SL's the next one up from the EX70's.
I got those too. They're not the "next one up" from the EX70s, they're just the replacement for them, since the EX70s have been end-of-lifed. The quality is exactly the same, it's just the cord is a bit different.
Old 23rd November 2004, 06:42     #35
Wally Simmonds

Thought I'd raise this old thread rather than start a new one - Im on the lookout for some decent gaming headphones, and Ive settled on some sennheiser HD500's. My question is, is there anywhere in welly you can get these? The only places Ive seen is prosound and langear. I wouldnt mind importing (damn amazon have them for $50 american) but they won't deliver here.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what would be a good contender in a similar pricerange to the HD500's I'd like to hear about that, too.
Old 23rd November 2004, 08:35     #36
Axident

I saw mention of these HC Technology headphones a while back.
http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=220

If you've got a decent soundboard with an optical connection, these would be great. They offer 5.1 sound, an inline remote and no pissing around with those bloody minijack connectors. They received good reviews for sound quality and usability. The main downside I can see is that the decoder box requires batteries/ powerbrick, which wouldn't be very portable.
Old 23rd November 2004, 08:52     #37
Axident

BTW, got a pair of those Sony MDR-EX70s and... they sucked. Tinny and squeaky with no bass whatsoever. They may have been faulty. I've still got to pick up the replacement set so will find out then.
Old 23rd November 2004, 09:16     #38
Torka

Definitely faulty. Unless you're one of the geniuses who tries to have them sitting in the outer ear like regular earbud headphones instead of inserting them in your ear canal. But I'm sure you're smarter than that.
Old 23rd November 2004, 09:20     #39
jeff_sichoe

Those sony buds look fucking awesome.

One question, however.
I have pretty small ear holes, so small that normal ear buds give me earache.

I'm assuming the sony's are more like ear plugs that ear buds?
Old 23rd November 2004, 09:37     #40
Torka

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff_sichoe
I'm assuming the sony's are more like ear plugs that ear buds?
They are.

The soft pads around the headphone part come in 3 different sizes in the packet, the medium size ones are fitted by default, so there's a smaller pair to try and a larger one depending on the width of your ear canal.