Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 25th November 2011, 12:39     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This sub-forum on Election Day

Quote:
On election day candidates, political parties and others must not post any new material on websites, which includes election related posts on social media such as Facebook or Twitter.

Existing election or referendum material does not have to be removed from a website on election day as long as the material is only made available to people who voluntarily access it and the website is not advertised on election day.

To avoid complaints on election day we would recommend that you change the security settings for Facebook pages that candidates, parties or third parties have so that other persons cannot post messages on election day before 7pm.

Posts on Facebook or Twitter that are not connected in any way with the election or the referendum can of course be posted on election day.
Post at your own risk, and be prepared for moderation by yours truly. Crazy situation but what can you do, it's the 21st century but the laws haven't really noticed. Were this site hosted offshore I'd be a bit more cavalier but I don't want any shit at the TelstraClear end.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:42     #2
GM

I knew it, also, potential $20k fine.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:43     #3
CCS
Stunt Pants

I WANT MY FREE SPEECH, CAAAARRRNT!

Who do I moan do about this shit law?
Old 25th November 2011, 12:48     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The law treats this website as a newspaper, and newspapers can't run election advertising on election day.

Of course it's more like a pub where you sit around talking shit with people you know, but the law doesn't accommodate that.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:00     #5
Juju
get to da choppa

Maybe just lock the forum until the polls close?
Old 25th November 2011, 14:25     #6
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

+1 for a read-only/lock on the whole forum on Saturday....
probably extreme, but as you say, easier than losing our free TCL TLC
Old 25th November 2011, 14:40     #7
drone

Lock and aggressive police is about the best option.

You *know* some fuckwit will be "funny" otherwise.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:41     #8
Deadmeat

Can you make this sub-forum members only? Locking it might make stuff spill into OD threads.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:48     #9
a-tech

First the queen, now this. The government of the government has gone too far!

edit: I like the members only idea. We all want to yarn about election day surely.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:17     #10
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Can you make this sub-forum members only? Locking it might make stuff spill into OD threads.
That's a good idea, if it's not publicly visible there might be no dramas. Then I'd just have to police OD.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:36     #11
a-tech

Just checking, but since we aren't affiliated with any political party, we are just citizens, we are allowed to say what we want on election day anyway, in any format...be it at the pub or on a forum?
Old 25th November 2011, 15:41     #12
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-tech
Just checking, but since we aren't affiliated with any political party, we are just citizens, we are allowed to say what we want on election day anyway, in any format...be it at the pub or on a forum?

We are, but the vessel in which we deliver out musings on (ie: This forum) is considered a publisher...the same as a newspaper. So Ab is just covering his/the forum's ass.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:02     #13
plaz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
We are, but the vessel in which we deliver out musings on (ie: This forum) is considered a publisher...the same as a newspaper. So Ab is just covering his/the forum's ass.
Hang on .. does that mean we can get chubby, cyc and fixed_truth fined for having their little slap-fights without putting 'Authorised by...' promoter statements at the end of each of their posts?

Suddenly the electoral finance act might get way more awesome.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:07     #14
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz0r
Hang on .. does that mean we can get chubby, cyc and fixed_truth fined for having their little slap-fights without putting 'Authorised by...' promoter statements at the end of each of their posts?
Nope - any fallout would be laid at Ab's feet if I am not mistaken.

Pixie
Old 25th November 2011, 17:51     #15
[WanG] Wandarah

Had a question - already answered.

Still can't believe that this applies to a fucking forum though.

Last edited by [WanG] Wandarah : 25th November 2011 at 17:53.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:10     #16
Cyberbob

What about Letters to the Editor in the newspaper? i.e. citizens opinions in a publicized media format.

Obviously Letters to the Editor does not reflect the newspapers opinion or stance on any matter, but that's much more comparable to forum posts than journalistic articles are.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:14     #17
Spink

Just add _NOPUBLISH to the end of the forum name so that it doesn't get indexed as a publishment and we'll be all good.
Old 25th November 2011, 19:25     #18
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Just add _NOPUBLISH to the end of the forum name so that it doesn't get indexed as a publishment and we'll be all good.
I see what you did there.
Old 25th November 2011, 19:34     #19
drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
What about Letters to the Editor in the newspaper? i.e. citizens opinions in a publicized media format.

Obviously Letters to the Editor does not reflect the newspapers opinion or stance on any matter, but that's much more comparable to forum posts than journalistic articles are.
Letters to the Editor are just as liable under the Act, the way I read it.. See S197:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...DLM310065.html

Your personal opinion, published in any form, is a breach.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:18     #20
Spink

Doesn't the subforum being accessible at all on that day constitute a breach if people have to take down existing billboards and existing advertisement?
Old 25th November 2011, 21:35     #21
crocos

It's not advertisement. It's opinion.

Unless you're a member of said party.

Hence it can be up, but can't be added to.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 25th November 2011, 22:24     #22
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In theory this forum is now hidden from non-logged-in users.
Old 26th November 2011, 17:04     #23
TnT

Treating social media and website forums as published newspapers? Fuck me, that is a completely new level of

Because social media and website forums have an editorial process that they go through before their information is published... yes of course, that's it...

Again,
Old 26th November 2011, 20:18     #24
cyc
Objection!

Now that it's past 7 PM, I'd like to express my fervant hope that the fucking cancer of NZ politics doesn't get back into parliament and that all the shitheads that voted for him should suffer horrible fates.

Thank you.
Old 26th November 2011, 21:17     #25
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Now that it's past 7 PM, I'd like to express my fervant hope that the fucking cancer of NZ politics doesn't get back into parliament and that all the shitheads that voted for him should suffer horrible fates.

Thank you.
I agree. Down with Bill English
Old 26th November 2011, 23:10     #26
Cyberbob

Sink the Ship!
Old 28th November 2011, 11:29     #27
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Director of Comms at work posted a notice to the intranet about refraining from discussing politics/politicians on the staff forum (remembering I'm a civil servant)...

best post replying to this:
"So we can’t talk about politics, but we should encourage people to vote. It’s going to be a national election tomorrow, which many hours of labour have gone into organising. Now it’s time to act. People should think about New Zealand first thing tomorrow and get to polling booths as soon as they can, no matter how long they have to wait for traffic lights to go green. After they’ve made their votes and secured a united future for the country, I’m inviting you all to the marae for a Maori party."

Bravo!