Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 20th September 2021, 17:34     #881
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
^ The short answer is that various corrupt officials and crypto bros in President Bukele's inner circle talked him into it.
Which is a real shame, because there's a lot of work being done in the broad field of "cryptocurrency for the third world" and some of that stuff would be really genuinely useful for El Salvador.
Old 20th September 2021, 17:37     #882
Ajax
Architeuthis

This fuckin' guy. Trolling but, deep down, also kinda serious.

Old 21st September 2021, 16:32     #883
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
ETH and ADA seem to be having a good week.
Boing-boing!
Old 21st September 2021, 18:57     #884
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bumped back to where they were, what, 10 days ago?
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:48     #885
Lightspeed

Bit further back than that now. It'll keep on bouncing, no doubt.
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:35     #886
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Of the coins I watch the movements that have caught my eye in the past couple of months are:
  • the stagnation of MATIC, which I had thought would have zoomed during a period of high ETH gas fees
  • the zooming of CELO, which is a nice little under-the-radar project targeting banking in developing countries. Perfect for a situation like El Salvador.
Old 2nd October 2021, 17:37     #887
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

mmm, smells like innovation

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/defi...-to-users.html
Old 8th October 2021, 02:13     #888
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is interesting, in a "is blogging cool again" kinda way:

https://mirror.xyz/

Basically... blog hosting on the Ethereum blockchain. It seems to work.
Old 10th October 2021, 17:15     #889
Lightspeed

What I'm really hanging out for is full transparency consumerism.

The experience I have now is if I want a product, I do a series of searches to get a sense of what availability there is, at what price range. Depending on the product I might look local first, if only for shipping costs, but in many cases cause I'd be happy to support local. I might pay marginally or even significantly more for something local, depending on the product.

What I'd like in that process is to be able to exclude products from as choices. Like, show me every product of this kind, except ones that are shipped through these channels, or produced by these suppliers, transported through these regions, etc.

Partly to exclude drop-shippers, or even genuine wholesalers who buy through a sketchy industry or logistics systems. But I think there's lots of scope to be able to more easily manage your purchasing priorities, get better consumer results.

My experience right now is there's sometimes considerable diverse purchasing options, which is great, but sometimes that's obfuscating too. You'll see the same exact product for a variety of prices, through a variety of channels, of varying degrees of legitimacy. Rarely but certainly outright scams, to merely questionable reliability, to good faith consistent service, at least up to that point.

I'm at least quite often left with a feeling of uncertainty I actually made a reasonable purchasing decision. Maybe that super cheap option was legitimate? Maybe I could have gotten it shipped in half the time? Maybe I shouldn't have chosen Amazon? Etc.

Just gotta get it all on the blockchain.
Old 11th October 2021, 10:28     #890
Ajax
Architeuthis

Diehl has not considered money laundering, ransomware, and trading for illegal shit on the darkweb. Crypto: the future of crime.
Old 11th October 2021, 10:44     #891
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Every time I move money between countries I thank the crypto gods for that use case.
Old 11th October 2021, 13:27     #892
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Every time I move money between countries I thank the crypto gods for that use case.
Which crypto(s) are you using?
Old 11th October 2021, 19:15     #893
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When I do that I use Stellar Lumens (XLM).
Old 12th October 2021, 06:23     #894
Giblets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
How long would your money be exposed between buying and selling? are we talking seconds/minutes or hours/days?
Old 12th October 2021, 09:14     #895
Ajax
Architeuthis

Stellar uses stablecoins like USDC for fiat conversion. So, you're exposed to the inherent risk in using that coin. This is why full transparency in the backing of stablecoins is important - if the coin falls over then downstream users get fucked.
Old 12th October 2021, 11:04     #896
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Say someone puts $10 in my NZ bank and I want to use that money here in Australia. Previously I would have had to order a telegraphic transfer between my nz bank and my au bank, so I’d have to call a branch in Nz and talk to a bank manager and get told that there’ll be a $100 fee for moving my $10 and it might take 5 working days.

Now I log into a nz crypto exchange and buy $10 of XLM and it shows up in my XLM wallet. Then I log into an au crypto exchange and I buy AUD with the XLM that’s in my XLM wallet and I transfer the AUD to my au bank and now I have it. Time elapsed, maybe 60 seconds. Maybe 2mins. Costs: let’s be extravagant and say a huge 1% of the transactions at each end, so… 20 cents. Perhaps the difference between buy price and sell price eats another 10 cents. End result: I have $9.70 in my pocket in 60 seconds, instead of nothing at all because who’d pay $100 and 5 days to move $10?
Old 12th October 2021, 12:29     #897
Ajax
Architeuthis

^ If you're buying and selling XLM directly then you're subject to potentially severe price fluctuations. XLM has lost up to a third of its value in a couple of days during market crashes. Also, the cashing-out process at the AU end is not likely to be instantaneous unless you're using the same bank as the crypto exchange. Finally, crypto exchanges are often on thin ice with their banks and large transactions may attract a high level of scrutiny.

TBH, Paypal more or less addressed the problem over 20 years ago and because it's a centralised service it removes many of the moving parts and risks (i.e. multiple crypto exchanges and their liquidity levels). The higher fees are the price you pay for greater assurance.
Old 12th October 2021, 13:10     #898
Ajax
Architeuthis

If you could exchange XLM directly for goods and services at point of sale, and it was widely accepted by merchants, and its price was extremely stable.. that would be real progress. I suspect that the central bank digital currencies of the future would eventually cockblock this by regulating non-state cryptos out of existence.
Old 12th October 2021, 14:27     #899
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
^ If you're buying and selling XLM directly then you're subject to potentially severe price fluctuations. XLM has lost up to a third of its value in a couple of days during market crashes. Also, the cashing-out process at the AU end is not likely to be instantaneous unless you're using the same bank as the crypto exchange..
I take your point, but I really don’t care if XLM has price fluctuations in a couple of days. If I’m moving money I only care that it doesn’t change much during the 60secs or so it takes to buy then sell. If I’m moving a big amount of money and I want peace of mind I’ll use a stablecoin instead.

Of the au exchanges I’ve used the AUD transfer times range from “by the end of the business day” (eg coinspot) to “instant” (eg binance). I like instant.
Old 12th October 2021, 14:59     #900
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
If you could exchange XLM directly for goods and services at point of sale, and it was widely accepted by merchants, and its price was extremely stable.. that would be real progress.
I have one of these. I don't use it very often.
https://www.coinjar.com/au/card

It's still tied to the trad banking system though.
Old 14th October 2021, 19:49     #901
crocos

Rodgecoin TO THE MOON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUs5y9leCyA

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 16th October 2021, 10:06     #902
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

BTC ATH about 30mins ago.
Old 16th October 2021, 13:50     #903
Lightspeed

Dat bounce just keeps getting higher and higher.
Old 19th October 2021, 03:18     #904
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Tomorrow morning, ProShares will launch a long-awaiting exchange-traded fund on the New York Stock Exchange linked to Bitcoin futures, the firm and the exchange told DealBook

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/18/b...proshares.html
Old 19th October 2021, 13:31     #905
Know me.

I thought the finding that tether only had 25% USD cash reserves and co mingled their corporate accounts with the tether accounts would have more of and impact than it did. Total disconnect from reality....to the moon!
Old 21st October 2021, 13:04     #906
Nich

https://twitter.com/trustlessstate/s...213588483?s=21

Quote:
The juxtaposition of a DAO of homies buying a rare cultural artifact from the hands of a scumbag hedgefund manager is exactly the kind of positive PR that crypto needs.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:34     #907
Ajax
Architeuthis

Last edited by Ajax : 21st October 2021 at 13:35.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:35     #908
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
I thought the finding that tether only had 25% USD cash reserves and co mingled their corporate accounts with the tether accounts would have more of and impact than it did. Total disconnect from reality....to the moon!
Tether's actual cash backing is about 3%. The rest is (allegedly) tied up in Chinese commercial paper and crypto. It's a huge house of cards that will eventually come crashing down.
Old 21st October 2021, 14:30     #909
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Tether is just so fucking dodgy, I feel awful every time I use it. I feel like I've had to accept counterfeit currency in order to trade with someone who won't accept anything else.
Old 28th October 2021, 02:06     #910
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bit of a dip today, nothing to get excited abou--

https://twitter.com/HsakaTrades/stat...77837897699335

oops.
Old 28th October 2021, 08:54     #911
Ajax
Architeuthis

Something very strange going on with $SHIB - probably a pump and dump.
Old 28th October 2021, 09:47     #912
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When a shitcoin like that does +1000% in a month, you know someone’s going to get burned.
Old 1st November 2021, 08:54     #913
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Something very strange going on with $SHIB - probably a pump and dump.
speaking of dodgy scams, how about this Squid Game coin $SQUID

from $0.01 to $37 with no selldowns
$28b market cap in less than two weeks for what?

https://charts.bogged.finance/0x8723...7A2A83012e9Bc5

how you may ask? because you can't actually sell the coin once you buy it

gottem
Old 1st November 2021, 09:29     #914
Cyberbob

You often get this sort of thing happening as soon as they're allowed to sell. You might find the founders of the coin will sell before opening it up, which is what happened to Lava, resulting in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That’s a ponziin’.
Old 1st November 2021, 14:31     #915
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So there was a USD 60M rugpull last night on a coin called "AnubisDAO", and the totally sane rational investors don't know how this could have happened, as they did their own research:

Quote:
One investor, Brian Nguyen, told CNBC that he lost $470,000. He admitted that what appealed to him most about the project was the canine imagery used to market it
Old 1st November 2021, 22:50     #916
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
You often get this sort of thing happening as soon as they're allowed to sell. You might find the founders of the coin will sell before opening it up, which is what happened to Lava, resulting in this.

LELz, right on cue my friend

Old 1st November 2021, 23:27     #917
Trigger
Laserman

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurre...st_got_pulled/

this fellow livestreamed the rugpull lolz
https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamF...id_game_token/

peaked at like $2800 per coin, from around 1c at launch on 26th october

$2.1 trillion market cap in a week, and then to zero in a second

GG, quite epic
Old 1st November 2021, 23:52     #918
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So what you’re saying is… buy the dip?
Old 2nd November 2021, 01:20     #919
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I hate fiat so much I try to make a lot of fiat.
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:35     #920
Cyberbob

Lmao. Do you want regulators to step in? Because this is how you get regulators to step in.