Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 8th October 2018, 14:33     #4641
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
You realise that the NZ Police PHOTOCOPIES your SMS messages to use as evidence, right?

This is the level of competence we are talking about. They aren't out back rooting your phone with the latest 0-day.

I conducted my own "investigation" when my computers got seized because the officer assigned to me wasn't familiar with Linux.

If they don't follow process you can get off charges. I doubt your life is worth backing up for eternity. And if it's not forever....
As long as there is a chain of custody form and proper handling of evidence then a judge won't care if it's a photo of an sms on a phone or not.

Last I heard the courts don't admit any of the forensics tools run on any *nix distributions, they only accept Encase and a few certified mob forensics tools.
Old 8th October 2018, 20:36     #4642
Lightspeed

Shit has been happening these last couple of days. Saudi journalist disappeared from the Saudi consulate in Turkey. Chinese President of Interpol disappeared while visiting China.

The world is scary!
Old 10th October 2018, 11:49     #4643
Lightspeed

This whole IPCC report of hope and doom is going to be just one more justification for the richest to cling to their riches while the world literally burns.

It just can't believe its sustainable though. Natural consequences will win the day.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:59     #4644
Nich

Bill Maher sums up the rich person's position in his interview with Jeff Bridges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VglGf1X1Vwg

I don't think he's being funny when he says:
- Only government can save us
- I'll drive a Prius when everyone is driving a Prius
- If people want to burn the world, then I'm ain't missing out on the fun they're having
Old 10th October 2018, 19:18     #4645
Nich

Also, billionaires are building their panic rooms:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/06/hampto...de-from-ms-13/

Ohh look here, Peter Thiel has his eye on NZ as perhaps giving him the biggest advantage during the predicted poor people uprising.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/p...d-house-2018-2
Old 11th October 2018, 10:13     #4646
pxpx

Great reading thanks Nich, here's another good read on the subject
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ocial_facebook
Old 11th October 2018, 14:14     #4647
Nich

It must be great to see it all coming, and have the funds to build an insurance policy. The rising tide can only raise all boats if everyone actually has a boat.

Somewhat related:
- IMF just released their October report saying 2019 will yeild 0.2% less growth than previous years
- US Fed is resuming their interest rate hikes (was put on pause last year when economy showed signs of stress, so I guess there's no economic stress now?)
- VIX is showing highest volatility in markets since Jan 2018
- DOW Jones just lost 1,000 points in a single day
- Investors are taking profits to avoid risk
- The Silicon Valley privacy raping era is coming to an end, the money is leaving
- As people liquidate their investments, where will all this economic energy go next?
Old 11th October 2018, 15:43     #4648
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
- If people want to burn the world, then I'm ain't missing out on the fun they're having
The Haitian revolution comes to mind. All these privileged fools who feel they're hard done by fighting to get theirs, forgetting about those who are suffering the most, who also account for the vast majority of the population.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 11th October 2018 at 15:44.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:22     #4649
Nich

It's some little brain worm that makes rich people think they are super fragile and therefore more impacted by volatility. We'll if you read Taleb, you might just agree. They spend all their riches trying to tell us bed time stories that make us ambivalent or even bored by whatever is behind the curtain. When whistleblowers reveal the truth, the backlash is that they are troublemakers, can't they just be like everyone else trying to achieve stability through ignorance?

Keiser Report: Let’s Party! Planet’s Fate is Already Sealed (E1291)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMYY5azVH7U

7-Degree Global Temperature Rise Is Inevitable, Trump Administration Presumes (and Shrugs It Off)
https://www.livescience.com/63709-tr...7-degrees.html

Not only does this report AGREE with climate scientists on the general direction we are heading, they say we just need to accept it and party instead of being prudes with regulations on the biggest polluters.

And there's the rub: The climate change debate is not about whether climate change is real, it's about those who want to start paying back the debt immediately and those who think mother nature will eventually file for bankruptcy and all will be forgiven.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:50     #4650
Nich

Also, Civil helicopter sales are trending up over the next 5 years.

https://www.slideshare.net/FrostandS...rowth-dynamics

This could mean people like helicopters because they are cool. Or it could mean the zombie apocalypse is upon us like Bill Burr says.

"Up, and out"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEDMfjASiM

He actually flies a helicopter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm_BxeesVmA
Old 12th October 2018, 12:59     #4651
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Please let this be the beginning of World Depression 2.0
Old 12th October 2018, 14:01     #4652
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I bought Dmitri Orlov's book "The Five Stages of Collapse: Survivors' Toolkit" a while back and it was drily entertaining and informative in a Russian kind of way.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Stages-C.../dp/0865717362

Some of the things I took from the book:

Individualist doomsday preppers with choppers to their fancy bunkers are fucked and won't last a month

The biggest threat to survival will be mental health, particularly that of nihilistic depressed men

Find good reliable friends and stay close to them, get to know your neighbours

Fuck bunkers; learn how to build, maintain, and sail a houseboat
Old 12th October 2018, 18:22     #4653
Lightspeed

Quote:
Find good reliable friends and stay close to them, get to know your neighbours
Rural Iwi might have the biggest advantage here.

Quote:
Fuck bunkers; learn how to build, maintain, and sail a houseboat
I had a dream of a boat-based escape the other day. When I woke and thought about the logistics of it, the challenges seemed insurmountable. With my resources anyway. Like surviving super-storms.

I wonder what the ultimate escape boat would look like.
Old 12th October 2018, 18:24     #4654
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Like this

https://quidnon.blogspot.com/
Old 13th October 2018, 14:31     #4655
Lightspeed

Jamal Khashoggi: What we know about journalist’s disappearance

Quote:
Turkish officials say Mr Khashoggi was tortured and killed on the premises by a team of Saudi agents and that his body was then removed.

They have audio and video evidence, a security source told the BBC, but it is not clear if anyone other than Turkish officials has seen or heard this.

"You can hear his voice and the voices of the men speaking Arabic," a separate source told the Washington Post. "You can hear how he was interrogated, tortured and then murdered."
Turkey aren't exactly credible I suppose. But how sceptical can you be?
Old 13th October 2018, 21:32     #4656
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I bought Dmitri Orlov's book "The Five Stages of Collapse: Survivors' Toolkit" a while back and it was drily entertaining and informative in a Russian kind of way.
I googled this book and acquired a PDF of it this afternoon, so far 50 pages in. I'm really liking it so far, agree with everything he's said, but no mention of cryptocurrencies (he does mention "honest money" and "trust" which hints that we already have a solution at hand). I guess it was written too long ago to know/have a solid opinion about Bitcoin et al.

I absolutely agree with [interest bearing] debt being the devil, and wish more people would boycott purchasing houses they can't afford (instead of only getting worked up when petrol is a few dollars more per week!), or at the very least minimize debt (rather than maximise house), and more of the older generation would understand and subscribe to this debt aversion and sort their children out rather than allow their kids to get mortgages while they own several houses of their own.

Thanks++ for the suggestion, Ab.
Old 16th October 2018, 23:42     #4657
Lightspeed

I wonder if this whole business with the Saudis murdering this journalist is a test by the Saudis to see what they can get away with.

If Turkey won't provide the evidence they have, and with Trump saying it might be "rogue killers, who knows?". Other than a conveniently symbolic but ultimately superficial conference, will the Saudis see any real consequence?
Old 17th October 2018, 07:29     #4658
StN
I have detailed files

Popcorn required now that the SA chaps *might* be saying it was an interrogation gone wrong. I mean, in the wake of 9/11, didn't the USA send foreign combatants to places such as SA and Eqypt etc (Well, Wikipedia says Thailand, the Philippines, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Cyprus, Cuba, Diego Garcia, and unspecified South Pacific island nation(s)) to facilitate interrogations for them - mayhap the odd one went a bit far, but never mind. Something something have a gander at the goose on the other foot...
Old 17th October 2018, 11:28     #4659
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It’s really fucking awful isn’t it? The whole affair feels like a subplot from Syriana.
Old 17th October 2018, 13:23     #4660
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is the most NZ/Australian thing of the day.

Stuff: "Hidden cost of minding the grandchildren revealed"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...aled-in-survey

OH MY PROPERTY VALUES
Old 17th October 2018, 14:27     #4661
pxpx

The most boomer article ever.
Old 17th October 2018, 14:58     #4662
Cyberbob

Because those that are grandparents now, never once flicked us kids off to their parents house for the weekend.
Old 24th October 2018, 16:36     #4663
Lightspeed

I reckon this South American caravan travelling through Mexico right now is a sign of things to come.
Old 24th October 2018, 16:58     #4664
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Just in time for the mid-terms. Couldn't have arrived at a better time for Trump if he'd personally organised it.
Old 24th October 2018, 20:03     #4665
Lightspeed

Except we know Trump couldn't do that. Others who benefit from the current leadership vacuum however...

Last edited by Lightspeed : 24th October 2018 at 20:04.
Old 31st October 2018, 11:33     #4666
Nich

Mueller accused of being rapey.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/muel...about-him.html

... but his accusers were paid-off... unlike Kavanaugh's accusers, which are totally to be believed.... wait who is Kavanaugh? What am I meant to be angry about this week? Let me check the news for my 2-minutes of hate.
Old 31st October 2018, 11:55     #4667
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Mueller accused of being rapey.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/muel...about-him.html

... but his accusers were paid-off...
I'm not sure if you're missing something or if i'm missing something - but it's not that accusers were paid off, but that some people were offered money to make claims in the first place. It's a smear campaign.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:12     #4668
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think Jonas is getting radicalised.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:27     #4669
Nich

Sorry, you're right. "paid-off" isn't the right phrase.

"Paid-off" would be if the FBI could match or beat whatever payment has already been received so this can all go away.

But what's fucked about all of this is that it lessens the severity and importance of real abuse victims as it becomes harder to distinguish signal from noise.

Last edited by Nich : 31st October 2018 at 12:30.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:30     #4670
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think Jonas is getting radicalised.
what makes you think that
Old 31st October 2018, 12:42     #4671
Nich

Hey hey, Ok so I get carried away in that thread

But I haven't any reason to doubt the reports by Seymour M. Hersh, Robert Fisk, and John Pilger on the the Syria regime change gambit-turned-clusterfuck.
Old 31st October 2018, 13:50     #4672
ZoSo

Straya. Almost to be expected at this point, no? ;)

One of my fav comedy (sports) podcasters has gone full conspiritard on his other podcast repeating these dumbass fox news, infowars, qanon, youtube narratives... and he's a progressive. It's really fucking bizarre to watch. (although is kind of amusing when he brings some of those back to the sports podcast and his fellow comics with even the slightest bit of thinking and humour, shoot massive holes into his daft thinking and rile him up no end)
Sad times.

Bit of a real crossroads for the US next week or two. Do they double down on the fox news, infowars, qanon, trumptards.. or vote still garbage, but somewhat more sane (overall?) and get some semblance of america back (whatever that is).
Old 31st October 2018, 17:51     #4673
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'm not sure if you're missing something or if i'm missing something - but it's not that accusers were paid off, but that some people were offered money to make claims in the first place. It's a smear campaign.
Hilarious stuff. Checkout some of the domain names one of the dudes pimping the story has.

https://twitter.com/rosiebita/status...69471558979584

Joe the plumber has advanced to joe the white collar douche. It's only a matter of time till the millions and bitches roll in for him.
Old 8th November 2018, 17:29     #4674
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Uh-oh, looks like the NZH is pivoting to the Wellington property market:

Quote:
PREMIUM & INDEPTH
Skyrocketing city: How much is your home worth?

Check out the interactive to see the value of your Wellington home.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12154827
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:59     #4675
Lightspeed

Government Debt | White Man Behind A Desk

What I wonder is when did NZ start believing government debt is bad? Is it a lack of belief in our ability to invest wisely? That we can't produce something that would return more value that it cost?
Old 22nd November 2018, 21:35     #4676
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, I've never understood the knee-jerk "debt went up! that means they're bad!" line of thinking. Some debt is good.
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:21     #4677
Lightspeed

This is hilarious:

Get you a Prime Minister who looks at Mike Pence like this.
Old 24th November 2018, 13:16     #4678
xor

Santa is part of the patriarchy it seems
Old 24th November 2018, 17:31     #4679
fixed_truth

I wonder if Maori Santa would be permissible?
Old 24th November 2018, 20:31     #4680
xor

You haven't met a Maori Santa? He's out there