NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28th January 2023, 16:52     #41
BoyWonder

We had about 5cm come into our basement. I went to Bunnings around 7:30 to get a water transfer pump and luckily got one as the shelf was being emptied.

Driving back home became a nightmare though as roads were starting to become ponds with cars stuck in them (a lot of people learnt lessons last night). Also a lot of knobs in 4WDs showing off to us mere civilians and really just washing a lot of water around unnecessarily.
Old 28th January 2023, 17:11     #42
Lightspeed

facepalm

I couldn't watch the interview with the mayor, it was too cringe.
Old 29th January 2023, 11:03     #43
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I couldn't watch the interview with the mayor, it was too cringe.
It was. I mean, I would probably be shit in a situation like this. But I didn't running as a fucking mayor.

He needs to very quickly spend some of this money that he is going to save us on some media training.

"I actually found out from customers at a business I own". Like WTF dude.
Old 29th January 2023, 14:37     #44
Lightspeed

Good summary of the shit show:

Countdown to Chaos: As Aucklanders were desperately seeking safety, officials were silent
Old 29th January 2023, 18:04     #45
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But... doesn't the mayor's inner circle include Head of Communications Matthew Hooton?! What could possibly go wrong?
Old 30th January 2023, 19:53     #46
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

gliding on, bitches

We may live in the Internet age, but the Wellington public service work ethic endures:

Quote:
On Friday, Waka Kotahi stopped updating Aucklanders on Twitter about flooded motorways, saying at 7.30pm that it had made its final update for the day
Old 31st January 2023, 09:53     #47
blynk

The good thing is they got shit for that, and not just from the public.
Old 31st January 2023, 11:00     #48
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
We may live in the Internet age, but the Wellington public service work ethic endures:
"We're punching out for the evening, time for some fried chicken and Netflix. Our coverage of this emergency will resume at the crack of 09:30 tomorrow morning. Maybe a little later if Travis sleeps in. Well, goodnight and good luck."

Old 31st January 2023, 13:39     #49
blynk

facepalm

Oh this just gets better by the day

Auckland mayor Wayne Brown texted his friends that he couldn’t play tennis over the weekend because he had to “deal with media drongos over the flooding”

1 - I find it interesting that one of his "Friends" leaked this message.
2 - Don't diss the media like that. WTF do you think is going to happen
3 - And lastly he is basically brushing of the flooding. Its not that he is going to have to help out Auckland. Its that he can't play because he is dealing with media.

Old 31st January 2023, 14:33     #50
Lightspeed

It seems pretty clear that the job is one last stop of the gravy train for Brown.

Hopefully in coming local and central elections this will be a warning to maybe second guess people with their hand up with vague promises of "fixing" our communities, while saving us money at the same time.
Old 31st January 2023, 15:50     #51
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
"We're punching out for the evening, time for some fried chicken and Netflix. Our coverage of this emergency will resume at the crack of 09:30 tomorrow morning. Maybe a little later if Travis sleeps in. Well, goodnight and good luck."
The incompetence is so funny to me. SH1 closed both ways due to intense flooding... goodnight everybody!
Old 31st January 2023, 16:33     #52
blynk

The one minor thing in their defense, is that they were clocking off facebook, with it mentioning to use the website to keep up to date.

So they weren't abandoning everyone for the whole weekend
Old 1st February 2023, 14:31     #53
Lightspeed

Looks like Brown is digging himself deeper. Luxon looks to be getting in the action too.

The idea of never wasting a good crisis is lost on them both. Not on Hipkins tho.
Old 1st February 2023, 14:39     #54
blynk

I saw a great comment " right's media handlers too busy with Brown and left Luxon alone for a few minutes"
Old 1st February 2023, 17:07     #55
BoyWonder

When you are such a hopeless mayor that the PM makes up a new ministerial portfolio just to save the city from you.
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:07     #56
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald
More than 200 lifts are not working across Auckland city and people, including elderly residents, are stuck and isolated at the top of apartment buildings, says Mayor Wayne Brown.

Emergency Management did not realise it was an issue and the incident started to be addressed yesterday, he claimed. “I’ve known about it for a while,” Brown told AM this morning. “Yesterday I brought it to their attention and it’s to their attention now. I knew one day before but I didn’t know how widespread it was. Right at the moment there are people really in trouble and that’s what we’re focused on.”
Yeah I knew stuff, but didn't tell anyone, because communication.

Also, I'm the only one allowed to communicate...

Right at the moment = 2 days ago?
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:14     #57
StN
I have detailed files

Also, I feel smug in owning four dry cars at present - 2nd hand vehicle market in this country will take a massive hit with all the flood damaged write offs. EV pickup probably on the cards - hope the ports can handle the influx...
Old 14th February 2023, 15:01     #58
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

you guys and girls all ok over there?
Old 14th February 2023, 16:03     #59
Lightspeed

Auckland doesn't seem to be copping it as much as the rest of Te Ika a Maui.

Hastings seems to be losing all its bridges.
Old 14th February 2023, 17:02     #60
Nothing

https://help.vector.co.nz/map

More or less a miracle I've come through this without a power cut so far I reckon, places a few houses down the road weren't so lucky. Still, there's at least another 12 hours of crazy wind to go, or so I'm told, so I shouldn't be counting my chickens yet. Some people might be without power for weeks. It's really quite hard to comprehend how much damage there has been.

NZ as a whole, not ok:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wea...of-destruction
Old 17th February 2023, 09:33     #61
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
you guys and girls all ok over there?
Napier, Hastings, Gisborne have been unreachable by road and comms since Tuesday. Some roads are starting to open up now however and the telco providers have been pooling resources to open up communications. Emergency services taking priority. Imagine the entire fire service for the areas being unreachable.

Bridges fuxked and with power stations washed away it’s gonna be tough going.
Old 17th February 2023, 10:52     #62
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jesus the Hawke’s Bay agri industry has been smashed. That region won’t produce anything for another 4 or 5 years.
Old 17th February 2023, 13:51     #63
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Spotted on Mastodon (lol) just now:

Quote:

Per RNZ: People in Gisborne are being warned to stop using water immediately until further notice.

The Gisborne District Council says the water treatment system has failed.

Council manager Scotty Sharp says people need to "stop all use right now".

"Everything, absolutely everything," he says.

"Critical, it's absolutely critical. We need to get the info out to the public because it's just failed and it's just failed now."

https://mastodon.nz/@curiouskiwi/109876910295308326