Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 7th January 2023, 19:08     #11761
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
What is the food/beverage of choice to become +40kg of chonkyness?
hrmph. let me think..
zero exercise, for a long time (years). i do remember distinctly drinking daily(beer) and there was a time when it would be something like, a bag of cheese rolls(6) before i would go and get a box of beer, then somewhere along the way i would decide i would want kfc/fastfood and get a large combo of whatever and depending on the day(quite often) it would be another 4 pack of bourbon. that would happen 7 days a week for a long time.

waste of life / lessons learned(eventually).

i rarely eat bread now, no drinking, and exercise errrrrrrrrry day.

interestingly enough. hard drugs got me away from food and booze. and then it took about 6 years to get off hard drugs, and after i was off hard drugs i probably boozed for 2 or 3 months a little with some loser and quickly realised i could lose years to this and abandoned that effort and joined up to a gym, which i realised after 2 or 3 weeks it wasn't for me as i wasn't very self-motivated or wanted someone to join me due to the anxiety of just going. i eventually joined bjj and also f45 and due to classes(just having people around and structure that wasn't defined by me) made things a lot easier. then it was interviews and back to work (after several years of being out of work -- a common theme throughout my teens / 20s and 30s -- as you know).

mmm. i figured out that sans booze and drugs i operate pretty normal and reguar. so i'm choosing that.

Last edited by wazza : 7th January 2023 at 19:11.
Old 8th January 2023, 13:55     #11762
xor

Yeah, that's rough. GG though! It sounds like 2023 is promising. You should enter a bjj comp this year!

I do miss the bread from the Hong Kong bakery. God damn!
Old 8th January 2023, 14:39     #11763
Savage

Hill Road bakery or gtfo
Old 8th January 2023, 15:08     #11764
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I do miss the bread from the Hong Kong bakery. God damn!

so true!
Old 8th January 2023, 15:24     #11765
wazza
*flex*

Cunning linguist

here's a photo from this morning, my nose really clipped a shadow on my beard hah

Old 17th January 2023, 20:22     #11766
_indigo1

https://www.reddit.com/r/auckland/co...hink_there_is/

Oh yeah, the schadenfreude is real, and it has a classic kiwi accent!
Old 19th January 2023, 13:20     #11767
MadMax
Stuff

Waz is that your twin brother?

🤣
Old 19th January 2023, 17:30     #11768
wazza
*flex*

cousin
my brother looks like me(not odd) and we have identical voices(freaks people out)
Old 21st May 2023, 15:17     #11769
wazza
*flex*

Did the first race of the Xterra Auckland Trail 2023 series - https://www.trailrun.co.nz/locations

Had to remind myself I had Covid + was in ICU then diagnosed with GBS a month ago or whatever it was, so results are what they are.

All and all, was a lot of fun. I was nervous but more excited to participate, I'm super glad I did, this is way outside of my comfort zone.
Really recommend it to someone is who looking for 'something' to do with their time, I'm very much looking forward to my medal after race 6

Old 31st May 2023, 22:32     #11770
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I ran yesterday - first run since I spoke to you. I intentionally didn't push myself, and usually my heart maxes around the same - 180ish.

This time, with a steady pace (total time not far off usual), I only hit 160. Maybe it's less weight, or because I stopped using headphones and didn't try running to the rhythm. Just did it at a constant "jog". Had a stitch from lunch, but powered through, taking it easy but not stopping.

I kinda thought I was let off when you weren't well, so I stopped training, but after seeing you post this, I figured I still had to keep my word and the weather was right for it. I'll keep going.
Old 1st June 2023, 08:29     #11771
wazza
*flex*

haha hey mate if you cancel and don't show that's all good by me. i've realised that f45 7 days a week does nothing for my running. maybe it's the 20 years of drugs fucked me proper. or the daily vaping. or the recent covid. or the GBS.

i got an email for a half(or full marathon) yesterday for december 2nd in the middle of the island if you're keen, but no rush. here's the link i got.. i'll probably pay this month coz i like the idea of filling my calendar. the current race series goes until september, then i'm off to melbourne for motogp in november, so if i add this new race for december that will give me something to look forward to until the end of the year. and i'm thinking i'll fly down to the west coast(south island) for xmas.

Quote:
Poronui Passage 2023 is open for entries!
Entries are now open for the ever popular Poronui Passage trail run/walk or MTB event!

Nestled in the secluded Taharua Valley in New Zealand’s North Island – just a 40 minute drive from Taupo – Poronui is an authentic back-country station set in the foothills of the beautiful Kaimanawa Mountain Ranges.

A all-inclusive trail event, Poronui Passage is the best way to treat trail lovers to the finer things in life; a challenging but insanely scenic MTB, run or walk, wrapped up in all the luxury treatment you could wish for.

Think hot showers, free massage, gourmet post-event fare, craft beers and wine at the finish line, all the barista coffee you can drink, cosy blankets and fires, beautiful high-quality event apparel, epic medals, a stunning and inaccessible location, live music and heaps more.

Entries numbers are very limited and will sell out!
https://www.poronuipassage.co.nz/

gg on your run that's good shit
Old 13th June 2023, 08:01     #11772
wazza
*flex*

finished my second race/run(15.5km) in the Hunua Ranges of the Xterra Auckland 2023 series on sunday. was quite proud of myself as i managed the entire distance without stopping, apart from a small bottleneck which forced a walk for about 2mins at the beginning of the race. so was a huge improvement on the first race(roughly 12km) where i walked for a solid 20mins+. my pace was roughly 6mins/km vs 9min30seconds/km for the first race. so many ggs

phone was in a blackspot so my fitbit didn't give me a nice map or break down my splits which was unfortunate.

looking forward to the third race, at Shakespear Regional Park in 3 weeks.
Old 13th June 2023, 15:37     #11773
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

You're a machine wazza.
Old 14th June 2023, 04:23     #11774
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
my pace was roughly 6mins/km vs 9min30seconds/km for the first race. so many ggs
Nice, I came to ask you exactly this question.

I ran again today [yesterday], doing about the same pace as you [over a shorter distance].

One run every two weeks isn't very good.. I'll step it up.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 14th June 2023 at 04:25.
Old 14th June 2023, 08:07     #11775
wazza
*flex*

nice. once you get to totara and you're running with a 1000 other people you will naturally just keep going~ it's what i've found in my journey.

last sunday was hectic, was 5degrees in the carpark while i waited for the race intro. then when i got down in to the valley to star the race it was -2degs haha.

about an hour in to the run i was shaking out my hands to try and get some blood to flow and my nose was running for about an hour straight. was weird to finish the race and barely be sweating.. that's how cold it was

as winter progresses it's going to be interesting, and if it's raining during the race brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

see you in 5-6 weeks <3
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:15     #11776
wazza
*flex*

Ok i prepaid/signed up for The Taniwha 2023 Event - 11th November 2023

https://www.thetaniwha.co.nz/

If anyone else ends up going we can link up for some IRL awkwardness. I've signed up for the 22km Run.
Old 29th June 2023, 00:48     #11777
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Ok i prepaid/signed up for The Taniwha 2023 Event - 11th November 2023

https://www.thetaniwha.co.nz/

If anyone else ends up going we can link up for some IRL awkwardness. I've signed up for the 22km Run.
After Totara G. I did 6.7km the other day to make sure I can keep going distance. It's same same. I just get bored running by myself for no reason. It's just a matter of "when will this end". I'll probably join you. It's not too far from Mum's - an easy 45 minute drive or something. Cheap gas in Tokoroa too ;P

It's around Dad's birthday, so I'll probably be up those ways around that time anyway.
Old 29th June 2023, 11:42     #11778
wazza
*flex*

sounds mint. gg on increasing the distance. yeah i'm the same way, caught myself right at the end of the last one once we hit the road(i really should do research before the runs) thinking "when will this end"~ running through a forest/water is fun, but when you end up on a road for several kms get wrecked.

mmm. so i presume i am picking you up for totara? makes parking for me much easier if i carpool.
Old 2nd July 2023, 17:48     #11779
wazza
*flex*

Third Race of the Auckland Xterra 2023 today at Shakespear Regional Park. Was insanely wet/muddy(3inch bog through the fields, and up to 6-10inches at the end. I was a champ and just embraced it.. a lot of people tried to go around the worst parts but not me, lulz. Was shorter than I thought it would be, 10km. I managed to run the entire thing without stopping, I must've passed 30-40 people walking up an insane hillclimb around the 7th-8km mark, was really happy about that and was very surprised I managed to keep running.

I had so much fun, was my best finish yet. 1st race I finished 38th(1:46:58) Male in my class, 2nd race I finished 44th(1:36:24) and this race I finished 25th(official time 1:05:43). Same strategy as the second race, which was to not stop running~

Old 23rd July 2023, 17:35     #11780
wazza
*flex*

4th Race today in the Xterra Auckland Series 2023. Totara Park. Weather was as good as it could get. Here's some screenshots. Finished 26th in my class.
I think I made an error in the second race, looking at the distances I think I accidentally ran a longer race by around 5km's, whoopsy.

Old 13th August 2023, 16:28     #11781
wazza
*flex*

Had the 5th race of the Auckland Xterra 2023 Trail series this morning at Waiuku Forrest. Was a shade over 12kms, conditions were perfect. Amazing trail really enjoyed myself. Had my best result yet(still not doing any running/training for this series specifically), finished 20th in my class, 40th male overall, and 48th out of the 314 that entered this specific distance/race. Really pleased with myself, I could tell I was doing well because it felt like I came out fast and you can tell by looking at my heart rate data compared with the other races that was the case and obviously looking at the km pacing chart you can see it. Only a couple of people over took me and I managed to overtook some really strong competitors more than once and hold them off to the finish line, the chick who came 2nd in our age group comes to mind, surprised I got her back two times during the race and managed to finish strong to hold her off. Can't believe how much fun I am having doing this series and how fucken high I feel afterwards, so much better than drugs, haha. Had a guy talk to me in the carpark afterwards from the same race, we had to park several km's away so I'm guessing because I was already at my car he was curious how I got on, he had finished 3rd overall, chatted to him a few mins and he runs an 8km loop where he lives a few times a week and that's all the training he does, I think for next season(I'll be in the Masters category as I turn 40) I'll do similar training because I think I can do really well, especially seeing as I will be in the next age bracket, no excuses, heh.

Old 4th September 2023, 08:17     #11782
wazza
*flex*

Completed the final race of the series on Sunday, Riverhead Forest. Ran in to trouble early on with my right calf, which completely fudged my race. Completed the 14km in 1hr39min which was +15mins where I wanted to be, unavoidable given the cirumstances. Finished 20th in my age bracket, 65th/221 overall, and 11th out of 35 for the series in my race category. Happy I completed the series, Riverhead was brutal, the inclines went on forever and the clay/mud was pretty consistent despite the weather being really good for the days leading up to the race, so I'd hate to see it after a downpour, it would be insane. Got my medal, that was the reason for entering. I'll enter again next year, and be in the next age category. GG.

Old 4th September 2023, 12:45     #11783
xor

That is some good mileage there! GG well done!
Old 30th September 2023, 13:44     #11784
MadMax
Stuff

Why pay for magazines or news papers when you can get access to the likes of this for free through your local library https://www.pressreader.com/catalog
Old 30th September 2023, 14:49     #11785
MadMax
Stuff

Ahh poos. Looks like it has a 30 day limit.
Old 6th October 2023, 11:01     #11786
wazza
*flex*

2024 Macpac Auckland Trail Running Series entries are open if anyone is interested in doing the series. Recommended A+. I just prepaid for all 6 events, gonna do Mid again.

https://www.trailrun.co.nz/enter
Old 6th October 2023, 18:29     #11787
wazza
*flex*

spent $400 on books for study/career shit. cfo reembursed me. gg
Old 6th October 2023, 20:58     #11788
MadMax
Stuff

Got our first rental property inspection photos. Utterly spotless and it looks like it's been dressed up for sale.
Old 26th January 2024, 09:41     #11789
StN
I have detailed files

Just like a bought one...

I've been phaffing about with 3D printers for about 10 years - built a couple of Prusia clones, performed heaps of addon upgrades, firmware flashing, low level parameter twiddling etc. Even converted my first one to a Laser engraver. Augmented my collection with a 3D mini CNC because they all speak the same G-Code language.

So I've built up a pretty good understanding of how they work.

For some reason, hadn't printed anything since pre-Covid times - dusted off the printer last month and rebuilt the hot end etc. Proved it can still print, but some fiddling required to get it reliable.

Then I saw that Jaycar had the Ender3 V3 SE on special. An entry level device, but with many bells and whistles that my early kits didn't have out of the box - and some very impressive reviews.

Splashed some cash - and crikey - the difference between a bodged together homebuild and an out-of-the-box (Ok, there were about 11 screws to insert to change it from flatpack to complete) product is massive. They really have come a long way in that time.

The most oily bit? Auto bed assessment and levelling.

Previously I'd change the hot end, then adjust the Z-Axis switch to find the base level, then adjust the four corners of the print bed with little screws to get it completely level. Then adjust the z-Axis 0-point again to allow only a paper thin gap between the head and the bed.

Now I just select the menu option, and it automatically samples 16 points across the bed, and then uses a strain gauge to work out the best value of an airgap for the first layer. No fiddling.

Too easy - and the kind of simple experience you want to get kids into STEM and such.

On special (In-store only I think?) for $319NZ this weekend.

Even came with a small toolkit and some sample filament.

Now to print some Falcon, Electron and Starship models for my window sill at work...
Old 26th January 2024, 15:25     #11790
MadMax
Stuff

Awesome, good to know. I’ll have to check out their wholesale pricing which I’ve got access to. (Electus).
Old 29th January 2024, 14:38     #11791
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So I was reading Winnie-the-Pooh to the boy in bed.

We got to a bit where the narrative describes Pooh discovering the North Pole. MHG asks "What's the North Pole?"

I start explaining, sense imminent fail, and give up and grab a basketball and start moving it around.

"See? Imagine this ball is the world. New Zealand and Australia would be here, this would be South America where the spectacled bears and sloths live, this would be Asia where the tigers and pandas live, this would be Africa where the lions and elephants live. This is the world turning around. And this spot at the very top and this spot at the very bottom are the poles. The one at the top of the world we call the North Pole, and the one at the bottom we call the South Pole."

"Right."

And then, since I was lying there in a room illuminated by one bright light holding a basketball pretending to be the Earth, I TOOK SHIT TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

"Imagine that the big light is the Sun. And see how this part of the world is facing the sun and is in the light, and this part of the world is in the shadow? Now, what do you think we call that bit that's in the shadow?"

Not even a pause for breath.

"That's where it's night-time."

I just stopped. And thought about what a fucking awesome thing had just happened. And I congratulated the boy on being very clever. And went back to reading Winnie-the-Pooh.

Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllled.
So fast forward to the present day and the boy just got acceptance letters for Bachelor of Biotechnology at Adelaide University and Bachelor of Science at University of South Australia.
Old 29th January 2024, 16:11     #11792
StN
I have detailed files

Excellent!
Old 29th January 2024, 22:13     #11793
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

All a bit unreal TBH.
Old 29th January 2024, 22:30     #11794
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

I have a question: at what age do you ensure your kids are at least aware about time dilation?
Old 30th January 2024, 01:03     #11795
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Guess I was reading Heinlein Juveniles with MHG when he was about 7 or 8, time dilation is a plot device in a couple of stories...?
Old 30th January 2024, 07:12     #11796
StN
I have detailed files

"Time for the stars"? - I think that was my first introduction around standard 2-3 in the 1970's.
Old 30th January 2024, 16:40     #11797
Lightspeed

How did that go?

I've somehow gotten the idea that the next big leap forward in science is getting kids off Newtonian thinking onto Einsteinian.

Which seems an uphill battle given how Newtonian our media is.
Old 30th January 2024, 17:02     #11798
StN
I have detailed files

I got them thinking with Portals...
Old 30th January 2024, 18:54     #11799
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How did that go?

I've somehow gotten the idea that the next big leap forward in science is getting kids off Newtonian thinking onto Einsteinian.

Which seems an uphill battle given how Newtonian our media is.
But Newtonian thinking works perfectly well in almost every situation. How many situations can you think of where an Einsteinian model of spacetime solves a problem that Newtonian physics doesn't?
Old 30th January 2024, 18:55     #11800
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
"Time for the stars"? - I think that was my first introduction around standard 2-3 in the 1970's.
That was one of them