NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Role-Playing Games
User Name
Password

Old 22nd December 2004, 09:07     #1
plaz0r

Patch download links

The Blizzard patch downloader is a fucking joke, so I've put up the patch for download:

http://spathi.plaz.net.nz/wowpatch/W...patch-enUS.zip

http://chenjesu.plaz.net.nz/wowpatch...patch-enUS.zip

The copy on spathi.plaz.net.nz should be faster if you're in New Zealand, but please don't get people overseas using it. Feel free to pass the chenjesu.plaz.net.nz link around as much as you like, though.
Old 22nd December 2004, 10:15     #2
Jian001

Thanks Plaz! Much appreciated bud. I was getting 2kb/s on that dang downloader.
Old 22nd December 2004, 11:41     #3
Torka

From the official forums.

Quote:
Blizzard,

You are charging the highest monthly fee to date for your MMORPG.

You are making between $6 MILLION DOLLARS per month on monthly fees alone, in addition to the $20 MILLION DOLLARS from the sale of the game.

That is almost $100 MILLION projected for the first year of operation of this game (assuming you do not sell an expansion pack, which would be another $20 million or more).

Are you telling us that for $100 MILLION DOLLARS you cannot pay for the bandwidth yourselves to provide the patches?
Quote:
"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence" is the quote genuinely describing the patch downloading process for World of Warcraft. Takes this to heart Blizzard. If we're paying $15.00 a month we're going to expect things in return - such as direct downloads to patch files.

Unless you are willing to pay for our internet connections, don't even start to think we will be happy to help you distribute what is your responsibility.

There is no reason a T1 should be grabbing these patches at 2kpbs. Don't tell us it is due to bandwidth problems on our end when it is a complete lack of planning a compotent distribution system on your part. Until you can provide patches with reasonable speed you have no business releasing patches.

There is no reason Blizzard should not be providing the patches to sites such as FilePlanet.com for us to download directly. Blizzard will recieve many less compaints, we'll be able to play the game we are paying for, and it will no longer show all of your incomptence was poured into the patch distribution system of an otherwise exceptional game.

If I leave my computer on tonight I might be able to play tomorrow. After one hour of downloading and suffering from "tracker lost" messages approximately every 2 minutes, I'm at 5% - and frankly I consider myself lucky. Currently this patch will take 20 hours. The downloader should not require me to click "OK" every time it finds/loses a connection before it continues downloading/reconnecting. I can't sit here for 20 hours and do this.

Seeing as of the 250,000 copies sold in the first day 200,000 accounts were created that means $3,000,000 (minimum) is going to start pouring into your accounts. You OWE us a better download system. Finally, quit ignoring this subject. It has been the topic of every third thread for a while now - and you've done nothing. If you don't want massive negative feeback, then fix the problem.
Definitely agreed.
Old 22nd December 2004, 12:23     #4
plaz0r

Quote:
Originally posted by Torka
Definitely agreed.
Yeah. I had assumed that the peer-to-peer distribution method would only be used in the beta. When OB was coming to a close, one of the Blizzard staff on the forums hinted that they would be using it for retail as well, I posted essentially the same thing - that my internet connection isn't free, and I shouldn't have to pay for the privilege of helping Blizzard push out patches to their customers.

Of course, there was no official response to my post, or any of the countless other posts saying the same thing. Given Blizzard's attitude towards their customers during beta and the first month of retail, I don't expect we'll see any improvement in the patch download mechanism any time soon.
Old 22nd December 2004, 12:42     #5
Nahaz@home

Thanks for the link, awesome!
Old 22nd December 2004, 12:53     #6
Tanman

Thanks! I was getting 2kb/sec from the blizzard downloader.
Old 22nd December 2004, 13:46     #7
RedeviL

Was also getting 2k/s this morning until I realised it's BitTorrent repackaged and rebadged.

It runs off non-standard BT ports, and BT does _not_ work well unless you port forward. Which I did, and bam thank you ma'am, 200K/s.

But wait, theres more... I have 120KB/s upload at my disposal, so it goes and uses it all as well! Excellent. :|

You can't slow it down.. can't limit it in anyway with the application itself. It also stays and continues uploading AFTER it finishes, chewing even more of your traffic.

Thank's Blizzard!
Old 22nd December 2004, 14:14     #8
Evoke

Quote:
Originally posted by RedeviL
It also stays and continues uploading AFTER it finishes, chewing even more of your traffic.

Thank's Blizzard!
oh crap. Left it to download as I went out. Came back, Downloaded 32 Meg, Uploaded 75 Meg. :/

which ports did you forward? I did the ones worldofwarcraft.com recommends and used portforward.com explanations to do it, but still no go.
Old 22nd December 2004, 15:15     #9
RedeviL

When the downloader is running, click Connection Info up the top Left. It'll have Listen Port down the bottom Right.

I just forwarded that for BOTH TCP and UDP.
Old 22nd December 2004, 16:44     #10
Nightcrawler

It's a good idea to distribute files.
Runs on the same basis as bit torrent, you want to download it - share it as well.
For all you people getting problems, how about pinholing 1 or 2 ports, it isn't hard.
I have no problem with downloading the files through this system, I even allow the client to upload the file at least once before closing it - doing my part for everyone else.

I agree it's a bit different from every other previous distribution of patches for any game, but meh. Who gives a shit.
Old 22nd December 2004, 16:49     #11
armourking

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler
I agree it's a bit different from every other previous distribution of patches for any game, but meh. Who gives a shit.
People on a usage cap plan do.
Old 22nd December 2004, 21:26     #12
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jian001
Thanks Plaz! Much appreciated bud.
Old 22nd December 2004, 23:49     #13
Dornak

I used the bog standard blizzard downloader and it took me 10-15 mins
Old 27th December 2004, 22:45     #14
Freestyler

http://www.gamers.tv/gtv/files/view/...1_1_2_to_1_2_1

It's local (NZ), and the patches will be put up pretty much as soon as they come out (in future).
Old 6th January 2005, 23:01     #15
Kudos

how big is the patch anyway?
Old 7th January 2005, 08:28     #16
plaz0r

41mb from 1.1.2 to 1.2.1; 58mb from retail to 1.2.1.
Old 7th January 2005, 16:09     #17
Kudos

Thx plazor
Old 8th January 2005, 22:34     #18
Ard Righ

The bittorrent principal for distrubuting patches will start showing up a lot more in future games I think. The problem is not in the method, it's the implementation.
Old 10th January 2005, 11:08     #19
plaz0r

Very angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Ard Righ
The bittorrent principal for distrubuting patches will start showing up a lot more in future games I think. The problem is not in the method, it's the implementation.
No, the problem is in the method. It is utterly wrong for a company to expect their customers to provide bandwidth to distribute their updates to others.
Old 11th January 2005, 22:16     #20
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

ESPECIALLY a Pay-To-Play game like WoW
Old 15th January 2005, 12:05     #21
dylan
Huh?

Actually, the problem isn't in the method OR the distribution, it's nz's fucked up internet model.

Who the SHIT pays for a connection with a download cap?!!! (NZ do, because they HAVE to.)

The flat I've just moved into have chosen a 4mbit connection over an 8mbit one - why? Because the 4mbit one is 'normal', while the 8mbit one has a cap - of 4gb / day, but with 3 gamers / 'heavy users' it isn't unrealistic at all to think we would have to watch ourselves. This thought filled us with utmost dread - and you poor fuckers have to deal with it on a daily basis (as 2 of the 3 of us in the flat used to, being ex nz / nzgamer's.)

I cried inside when I left nz, but not one of those tears was for the data caps I can assure you
Old 9th February 2005, 13:06     #22
[reyPh]

what also makes me angry is

you have to buy another game to create another account

but any account can be used on any cd key

wtfbshax...
Old 9th February 2005, 15:04     #23
sky_

Quote:
Originally posted by plaz0r
No, the problem is in the method. It is utterly wrong for a company to expect their customers to provide bandwidth to distribute their updates to others.
Yeah. I mean, it really wouldn't be hard for them to use Akamai.
Old 9th February 2005, 15:09     #24
BadNova

Quote:
Originally posted by [reyPh]
what also makes me angry is

you have to buy another game to create another account

but any account can be used on any cd key

wtfbshax...
What's so bad about that? Worked the same way in Tribes 2. The other way would be you have to register your account before being provided with your CD key to install the game, and how much difference would that make, other than restricting you to your own install of WoW when you want to play?

Please explain why this angers you
Old 10th February 2005, 11:25     #25
[reyPh]

Tribes 2 is hardly the same, there was no charge for account creation, only for the game. To be fair only the concept is the same... not the situation.

It angers me, because I now have 2 copies of WOW, and im only using the first copy for 2 installs.

All I needed the 2nd copy of WOW for was to purchase a damn cd key, why? when they get money from a new account registration. Its daylight robbery, I find it annoying enough having two buy 2 copies of the game, which makes one copy obsolete.

You should be able to buy another cd key for a cheaper price say like 10 us dollars or something, then you dont need to buy the game again.

To top it off, blizzard obviously dont care if the copy you have installed is another cd key because all game copies (legit) can accept any account login. So why make us buy another game to create a new account? (other than the obvious, to make them more money of course d'uh)

Quote:
Originally posted by BadNova
The other way would be you have to register your account before being provided with your CD key to install the game, and how much difference would that make
A LOT!!

This would be ideal!!, if I could purchase an account before you buy the game, you would only need one game then wouldn't you!!

Last edited by [reyPh] : 10th February 2005 at 11:27.
Old 10th February 2005, 13:29     #26
BadNova

Question

How come you need two accounts?
Old 10th February 2005, 13:39     #27
[reyPh]

My partner plays it too - shes more hooked than I am.

Blizzard must be laughing all the way to the bank
Old 10th February 2005, 15:12     #28
Cyberbob

o_O

If both of you wanted to play online at once, of course you'd need two accounts, just like tribes 2, just like any other account-attached game.

Buying the account online would be just as expensive as buying the media from a retail store (ala Lineage 2)

Last edited by Cyberbob : 10th February 2005 at 15:15.
Old 10th February 2005, 17:05     #29
Evoke

Quote:
Originally posted by [reyPh]
You should be able to buy another cd key for a cheaper price say like 10 us dollars or something, then you dont need to buy the game again.
blizzard don't make money on the sale of the games (except the ones they sell in their online store), they make money on the monthly accounts. The 90 dollar charge for the cds and packaging is done so that the game distrubutors and shops can still get money for the game.
Old 10th February 2005, 18:23     #30
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoke
blizzard don't make money on the sale of the games (except the ones they sell in their online store), they make money on the monthly accounts. The 90 dollar charge for the cds and packaging is done so that the game distrubutors and shops can still get money for the game.
That's a big assumption - I would imagine someone with the pulling power of Blizzard would definitely be up for a decent royalty on units sold as well.
Old 16th February 2005, 14:59     #31
curses

new patch out

http://www.fileplanet.com/150253/150...t-v1.2.3-Patch

anyone have a non-EU patch mirror which doesn't require a fileplanet account?
Old 16th February 2005, 15:06     #32
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

http://games.xtra.co.nz/files/rpg/wow/
Old 16th February 2005, 15:13     #33
curses

ouch 55 migs

thanks sidbo!
Old 16th February 2005, 15:20     #34
BadNova

Ooooooo what's it fix

oh poo, it's just localisation crap that won't affect me D: