Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 12th August 2021, 09:05     #841
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Seems to have been an exploit of a poorly designed smart contract. I don't know if it was a crime either.
So exploiting a bug for financial gain is not a criminal offence.
If there is a bug with a McDonalds cash register that it would randomly open every 10 minutes, its not a crime to take the money?

Or is the bug that it was accidentally moved to another wallet and no one actually did it on purpose
Old 12th August 2021, 12:18     #842
Ajax
Architeuthis

What if the hacked party is a decentralised, unregulated entity operating outside the jurisdiction of any law enforcement? Is it still a crime? *shrug*
Old 12th August 2021, 14:07     #843
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

is it a hack if the smart contract did exactly what it was coded to do?
Old 12th August 2021, 14:37     #844
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
The letter "appears" to have worked, kinda?
This might demonstrate the platform's resiliency. Just cause you transferred some value from one wallet to another doesn't automatically entitle you to that value.

If you want to present yourself as a legitimate entity you might be reluctant to accept value from wallets that have drawn value from a wallet where the ownership of value is in question.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:37     #845
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Eth staking via Lido in the latest Ledger Live.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:52     #846
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
This might demonstrate the platform's resiliency. Just cause you transferred some value from one wallet to another doesn't automatically entitle you to that value.

If you want to present yourself as a legitimate entity you might be reluctant to accept value from wallets that have drawn value from a wallet where the ownership of value is in question.
There was also an interview transcript circulating that (paraphrased) amounts to:
Why? Because if I didn't someone else would (either staff or some black-hat) and I had zero intent to spend this, which is also why I'm returning it... and because I don't want to get into shit, I'm highlighting this weakness and returning the crypto anonymously.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 16th August 2021, 14:39     #847
blynk

And has it all been returned yet?

You get busted for finding a flaw and stealing. Of course the default excuse is "I was highlighting a flaw, and Im the honest guy, and Im going to return the money"

Im sure the same could have been done with $100.
Old 16th August 2021, 15:00     #848
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
And has it all been returned yet?
Apparently *most* had been returned before the weekend. Don't know if all was returned... and that statement came out after the crypto had started trickling back.

But yes I was NOT trying to justify this myself, merely paraphrasing what the thief said.

That being said, IF (and not saying he was), IF the hacker was correct and was *cough* protectively and proactively taking the crypto to prevent staff/other hackers taking it, stealing a mere $100 worth would quite possibly be a prompt for anyone within the organisation to speed up their plans, while also not actually making headlines - so less attention paid to the theft until someone that was going to actually steal a large amount cleaned the exchange out.

Excuse the run-on sentance.

Last edited by crocos : 16th August 2021 at 15:05.
Old 16th August 2021, 15:09     #849
crocos

Returned "almost all"

Old 17th August 2021, 09:11     #850
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
But yes I was NOT trying to justify this myself, merely paraphrasing what the thief said.
Yeah, I wasnt directing it at you, but at the story.
Old 20th August 2021, 09:43     #851
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cardano ATH.
Old 20th August 2021, 10:02     #852
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Cardano ATH.
Isn't that the shitcoin Gene Simmons was shilling a while back? Seems legit.
Old 27th August 2021, 09:23     #853
Nich

Not your keys = not you coins

https://cointelegraph.com/news/coinb...-from-accounts

“ One Coinbase client, Tanja Vidovic, claimed to have lost nearly all of her $168,000 in cryptocurrency holdings after receiving a number of password change security alerts in April. Attempts to contact Coinbase by phone were fruitless, Vidovic said.”

lol. Just a lazy $168,000 sitting on exchange.
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:47     #854
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ETH and ADA seem to be having a good week.
Old 5th September 2021, 12:00     #855
Nich

Cardano is some Silicon Valley-level valuation methodology. https://youtu.be/BzAdXyPYKQo

"I don't know why people are suddenly bearish on Cardano now for the UTXO design not properly supporting DeFi. The lack of fundamental use case is bullish because it allows you to make up whatever TAM you want."

- Lily Francus, funniest / smartest person on Twitter rn
https://twitter.com/nope_its_lily/st...293823490?s=21
Old 5th September 2021, 12:43     #856
Ajax
Architeuthis

We may have a problem here guys

Old 5th September 2021, 15:31     #857
kRAdENkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
We may have a problem here guys

Is this FUD or legit?
Old 5th September 2021, 16:02     #858
Nich

From what I gather, Cardano doesn't have smart contract capability. Therefore layer 0 has no DeFi and therefore it's not a "Ethereum killer" by anyone's reckoning.

The BulletKing comment in that thread pretty much sums up Cardano's PR campaign since 2017. Still could be worth throwing money at it purely because it is #3 slot marketcap, and fundamentals have left the building.
Old 5th September 2021, 16:05     #859
Nich

https://twitter.com/scupytrooples/st...540559360?s=21

"The uniswap of Cardano is one tx per block. Unoswap"

lol.
Old 5th September 2021, 16:24     #860
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
From what I gather, Cardano doesn't have smart contract capability. Therefore layer 0 has no DeFi and therefore it's not a "Ethereum killer" by anyone's reckoning.
it sounds… complicated:

https://sundaeswap-finance.medium.co...o-c160f8c07575
Old 5th September 2021, 17:41     #861
kRAdENkO

I have some ADA ($0.78 USD/each). Was more of a what if this shite is true position?

Fundamentals have been long forgotten, I'm surprised its reached $3 this quickly. I suspect it will plumet in the days leading up to smart contracts going live..... which must be soonish?

In the mean time the rest of the market has perked up and its possibly just delaying ADA's inevitable dump. Got to risk it for the biscuit though huh.
Old 5th September 2021, 18:10     #862
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You can't fail by selling all your Cardano the day before a big milestone, then buying it back a week later.
Old 5th September 2021, 20:39     #863
Nich

Best to stay in pre-Smart Contract phase. That way you are always 100x (hell, why not 1,000x) better than Ethereum in your peer-reviewed theorising.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:49     #864
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jeez, El Salvador timed that well. A sovereign nation just bought the dip.
Old 9th September 2021, 13:41     #865
Ajax
Architeuthis

Thoughts and prayers with the people of El Salvador at this difficult time
Old 16th September 2021, 09:33     #866
Ajax
Architeuthis

Dogecoin to the moon: a short story in pictures.

Old 16th September 2021, 13:05     #867
crocos

OOF. Hilarious though.

Old 16th September 2021, 14:44     #868
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That said, stupid person did a stupid thing and is now fucked and the story makes me feel smart for not doing the stupid thing and makes me feel schadenfreudy about the stupid person's stupidness is a very lucrative subgenre of monetisable user-generated content.

I would not be surprised if the story were fabricated just for clicks. But I'm old and cynical.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:05     #869
Lightspeed

While I am grateful for the content, I kinda loath how YouTube dominates and shapes the content generation industry.
Old 16th September 2021, 16:28     #870
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That said, stupid person did a stupid thing and is now fucked and the story makes me feel smart for not doing the stupid thing and makes me feel schadenfreudy about the stupid person's stupidness is a very lucrative subgenre of monetisable user-generated content.
If it makes you feel better there's a happy ending: he didn't get offered that job at the Amazon warehouse.
Old 16th September 2021, 16:41     #871
Ajax
Architeuthis

Anti-Bitcoin protest in El Salvador. 67.9% of the populace against it in recent polling.

Old 16th September 2021, 17:31     #872
blynk

Was the majority always against it?

Or is this one of those things where people want it, and then when they get it they realised it was mistake.
Trump
Brexit
etc
Old 16th September 2021, 18:09     #873
Ajax
Architeuthis

The Bitcoin law was rushed through Salvadoran parliament in a matter of hours with no public consultation and hardly any debate. El Salvador is one of the poorest countries in Latin America. Most average people there have no idea wtf Bitcoin is.

However, a survey by the Central American University (UCA) found that only 4.8% of the 1,281 people who took part understood what Bitcoin was and how it was used.
Old 16th September 2021, 18:28     #874
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If only 4.8% understand it, why are 67.9% against it?
Old 16th September 2021, 18:39     #875
Ajax
Architeuthis

Because they're being railroaded into accepting something they don't understand as legal tender.
Old 16th September 2021, 20:58     #876
crocos

Vendors generally need to be able to accept any form of legal tender. If the vendor has no idea what a bitcoin is, or how to transact on it, and that's without going into the per-transaction cost of bitcoin, it's a bit of a joke as tender.

Old 20th September 2021, 03:19     #877
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I have no idea why El Salvador chose bitcoin as its digital currency. It seems completely inappropriate.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:12     #878
Ajax
Architeuthis

^ The short answer is that various corrupt officials and crypto bros in President Bukele's inner circle talked him into it.
Old 20th September 2021, 13:08     #879
Lightspeed

Yeah, totally should have bought ETH instead.
Old 20th September 2021, 17:14     #880
Ajax
Architeuthis

Yeah, instead of cat shit, should have bought radioactive cat shit.