Nat: 37% (Down 4%)

Lab: 51% (Up 3%)

Sample size: 1000 – 750 were interviewed by phone and 250 Online

Margin of error: 3.1 percent.

Dates: May 29 and June 7
Polls lolz
Old 10th June 2019, 09:25     #4922
blynk

But they both have Bridges down and Collins up.

So he's goneburgers.
Old 10th June 2019, 14:07     #4923
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Old 10th June 2019, 14:24     #4924
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Polls lolz
Old 10th June 2019, 15:26     #4925
CCS
Stunt Pants

If you get two polls that disagree that much with each other, I say ignore them both. Pick the one that makes you feel warm inside if you really must.

New Zealand hasn't had a single term government since 1975. It probably didn't help Labour when Norman Kirk died in office and was replaced with someone hopeless.

So Labour is going to win again next year. Simon Bridges has an Angry Andrew Little problem - he seems to be just yelling at the government all the time. Whereas Jacinda "Who Needs A Hug?" Ardern looks like fucken Mother Mary. Public image counts for a lot.
Old 10th June 2019, 15:45     #4926
StN
I have detailed files

OMG...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoff via Ab
But I do note that IT, until just a few weeks ago, came under the responsibility of Fiona Ross as Deputy Director of Operations. You will remember her as co-sponsor of the wellbeing card game about which Danyl McLaughlin recently reported.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:11     #4927
pxpx

facepalm Gotta stay fashionable

It's official: Auckland has a climate emergency

It's official: Auckland has a climate emergency. After a long debate, Auckland Council voted unanimously today to declare a climate emergency in the city.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12239534
Old 12th June 2019, 09:58     #4928
blynk

The word emergency should be avoid. But this is a good thing.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:02     #4929
fixed_truth

I don't mind the word emergency being used.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:47     #4930
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Here is a list of things Auckland will do as its emergency response:
Old 12th June 2019, 11:56     #4931
StN
I have detailed files

Pfft - catch up Auckland!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...re-generations
Old 12th June 2019, 14:34     #4932
Lightspeed

Auckland Council declares climate emergency

My guess is this is a hollow exercise: "phew That'll keep 'em off our backs for awhile."
Old 14th June 2019, 00:07     #4933
Lightspeed

Feel bad for those in Hong Kong.

I don't see how they don't get fucked.
Old 14th June 2019, 02:48     #4934
Lightspeed

These guys are pretty cool. At a police press conference in Hong Kong:

Old 14th June 2019, 11:32     #4935
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Feel bad for those in Hong Kong.

I don't see how they don't get fucked.
Oh they’re going to get fucked all right.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:45     #4936
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...ather/11223528
Old 25th June 2019, 14:20     #4937
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Project Veritas gets Google Exec to reveal their anti-Trump bias

YouTube removed the video due to "copyright violations", but it's still available from the source.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:10     #4938
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Please, Project Veritas? That's about as credible as pizzagate.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:45     #4939
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Sorry, I forgot sex trafficking involving high profile people was just a myth made up by Russians.

I'll be sure not to believe anything that the State does not allow from now on, Brother.
Old 25th June 2019, 20:14     #4940
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Don’t forget death panels
Old 28th June 2019, 08:02     #4941
CCS
Stunt Pants

Fears for Angela Merkel after she's seen shaking for second time in two weeks

She needs to come clean. She's got something going on and maybe she ought to step down before she intends to.
Old 1st July 2019, 16:27     #4942
Lightspeed

Gap between Māori and non-Māori youth arrests continues to grow

I would suggest that while these issues are complex, the root to the worsening problems vulnerable groups have long faced in New Zealand is the same.
Old 7th July 2019, 15:58     #4943
Lightspeed

I like this fellow:

Quote:
“So, to be clear, if you’re promoting fossil fuel exploration, extraction and exploitation – and especially its expansion – then understand you are at odds with this community and my council that represents it.”

He ended by calling fossil fuel exploration and exploitation a “dangerous and immoral folly”.
Oh, but wait...

Quote:
Cull, who has been Dunedin’s mayor for nine years, is not standing in the next elections. He said he’s turning 70 next year.
I guess we'll see how things go once there's someone in office who wants to be re-elected.
Old 7th July 2019, 18:34     #4944
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

there you go again, privileging the voices of old white men in hierarchical positions of authority, when will you people learn
Old 10th July 2019, 21:21     #4945
Lightspeed

Government wipes debts for unpaid NCEA fees

Quote:
Nearly 150,000 people have today received NCEA credits that had previously been withheld because they did not pay the qualification's annual fees.
Finally an end to that madness.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:07     #4946
StN
I have detailed files

Sweet - when can I expect my refund for fives year's worth of kids fees?
Old 11th July 2019, 16:03     #4947
Lightspeed

I think your best chance will be chasing your kids for that.
Old 14th July 2019, 21:09     #4948
The Edge

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...auckland-mayor

John Banks wants to be mayor? Again? Sure, Phil has his problems - but I don't feel Banks did anything of value when he was running the show.
Old 14th July 2019, 21:59     #4949
Lightspeed

What kind of money does that guy have? Maybe he'll recognise his illegitimate kid now. /tui ad
Old 15th July 2019, 07:24     #4950
The Edge

Rolling eyes

I'd be curious to know how many people are telling him "every day" he should run for mayor. Maybe he means when he looks in the mirror?
Old 17th July 2019, 11:22     #4951
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’m sure this will be entirely uncontroversial

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/114291...fair-advantage
Old 17th July 2019, 18:11     #4952
fixed_truth

There might have to be a separate class for competition because no matter what the rules are if a transgender woman does well it will always be asserted that it's because they were born male, whether that's the case or not.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:38     #4953
blynk

Boxing has weight classes, maybe more sports need to have testosterone level classes (or other hormone)..
Male & Female (and everything in between) can complete together.

One this with the article, it stats the normal female level is 1/10th of the max allowance. But Im sure most of the female weightlifters will have a higher level than the average.
Old 18th July 2019, 15:17     #4954
fixed_truth

Quote:
Their preferred option is an extension of this with a proposed algorithm that could account for a range of parameters, both physical and social, including physiological, gender identity and could include socioeconomic status.
Isn't this acknowledging that testosterone is one of many factors that could give advantage? I wonder how much advantage a physically small low socio-economic transwomen would have? Messy alright.
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:52     #4955
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Let this sink in

Royal Navy 'too small' to defend British assets abroad
Old 22nd July 2019, 16:20     #4956
fixed_truth

A 14-year-old on how to rescue politics
Some good points & worth the public discussion.

I do wonder how many 16-17 year old would be interested in voting & also whether the assumption that they would be mostly green & Labour voters is true.
Old 22nd July 2019, 16:54     #4957
pxpx

It's not really a good article, in fact, it's actually a shining example about why we shouldn't further lower the age of voting. There's no nuance there, none of her assertions are actually backed up, it's full of strong emotive language and zero respect for the other side of the argument.

Granted it's a great essay for someone who's only 14, but If we get this girl back in 3-4 years, she'll probably think a lot differently.

I lolled at the "its a fundamental human right" bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
"Universal and equal suffrage: all citizens should be given the right to vote. There should be an effective, impartial, non-discriminatory and accurate voter registration procedure that ensures all eligible citizens have the right to vote. There should be no restrictions on voting by women, persons belonging to minorities, persons with disabilities, internally displaced persons or other groups. However, States may impose reasonable restrictions, such as a minimum age limit to exercise the right to vote. Each citizen’s vote should have the same value."
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:54     #4958
fixed_truth

I think your response is a shinning example of why it's important to have the conversation

While it was a bit unpolished I don't think it was anymore more 'strongly emotive' or 'assertive' or 'zero respectful' than other opinion pieces written by adults on the subject. And this is from someone who even if the age was lowered would have two more years of civics education before being eligible.
Also I though the fundamental human right line was relevant as it is a human right, the subjective age is what we agree upon as a society . . . hence why discussion.

There's some good points on both sides of the argument (eg potential lack of life experience) but for me I think that 16-17 year olds actually interested and motivated to vote are probably responsible enough.
Old 22nd July 2019, 23:32     #4959
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Sixteen year olds can drive, give consent, obtain a gun license, leave school and home – seventeen year olds can even join the army. Nobody could claim that any of these freedoms required greater maturity than the freedom to cast a ballot.
right there
Old 23rd July 2019, 00:47     #4960
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية