NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th September 2017, 16:48     #3601
chiQ
Frag-muff

It had the right feel, but wasn't scary in the same way. The book got into your mind and poisoned your imagination. It was really insidious. The movie is all jump-scares alternating with comfortable sunshine. No depth at all. Amazing cast though.

I just rewatched the final cut of Bladerunner and the first two Indiana Jones films. That was fun. Bladerunner has aged beautifully.

Also, Amelie.
Old 29th September 2017, 20:35     #3602
StN
I have detailed files

I tried to get the boy to watch Amelie and Alien4 before going to France a couple of years back. He didn't.

And the daughter refused Spirited away and Animatrix before going to Japan last week.

You can only do so much...
Old 30th September 2017, 13:39     #3603
Ajax
Architeuthis

Blade Runner 2049 is getting very good early reviews. I might be tempted to actually go to the cinema for this, like they did in the olden days.
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:21     #3604
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Bladerunner has aged beautifully.
This times a million.
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:32     #3605
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Blade Runner 2049 is getting very good early reviews. I might be tempted to actually go to the cinema for this, like they did in the olden days.
I'm worried about this. I don't know whether to go or not. The critics are 96 % positive on Rotten Tomatoes though, so yeah, I might
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:37     #3606
[BT]Monza

Thumbs up

Recommend a website called Letterboxd for all the movie geeks in this thread

https://letterboxd.com/about/frequent-questions/

If you have room for another social network it is pretty cool to have a feed of what your friends are watching and rating movies. And hey, made in NZ.

Add me, https://letterboxd.com/monza/
Old 2nd October 2017, 15:39     #3607
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Bladerunner has aged beautifully.
yeah watched the Final Cut on Saturday and it certainly has. The FX shots look BETTER than 99% of the CG shit made today. But it's not the FX that made that movie, it's just... the vibe. It's hard to describe.
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:58     #3608
Lightspeed

I was recently lucky enough to watch this with a friend who hadn't seen it before. It seems like every time I watch that movie something new comes out.

In a recent interview with Olmos he made the point he only had a small role in the movie, but damn what a role. That last line of his... I get the sense I'll feel that line the older I get.

I'm with chiQ, but I guess I'll do the same thing I do with the Alien franchise. Alien/s exist as primary source, everything else is secondary at best.
Old 2nd October 2017, 19:12     #3609
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I remember going and seeing the Director's Cut when it had a cinematic release back in... 1993? 1994? somewhere around then. I went to a midnight screening by myself and just sat there going "fuuuuuuuuuuuck me"
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:20     #3610
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by [fe]
The Lobster
I've never seen a more awesome movie that i never want to see again. It was an experience that was half entertaining, and half painful.
Driest humor i've seen in a long time.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 3rd October 2017 at 10:22.
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:57     #3611
ZoSo

I'll watch most things Noomi Rapace, so Unlocked & What Happened to Monday were decent enough for me. Ratings for her movies suggest otherwise though. Ymmv.
Old 10th October 2017, 10:08     #3612
Cyberbob

New Star Wars trailer comes out today - The director's come out with a tweet saying "I am legitimately torn. If you want to come in clean, absolutely avoid it."
Old 10th October 2017, 14:41     #3613
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
New Star Wars trailer comes out today - The director's come out with a tweet saying "I am legitimately torn. If you want to come in clean, absolutely avoid it."
learned my lesson with TPM thanks very much
Old 10th October 2017, 16:12     #3614
Cyberbob

Keep in mind they intentionally misdirected with the TFA trailer, showing Finn with the lightsaber, etc.
Old 10th October 2017, 16:23     #3615
chiQ
Frag-muff

I watched and loved Hidden Figures recently. It's about NASA mission computers back in the day. Funny and fascinating.
Old 10th October 2017, 16:56     #3616
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY
Old 11th October 2017, 14:46     #3617
chiQ
Frag-muff

A cute little furry thing. Hopefully not another Binks.

Looks good.
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:26     #3618
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

MCU, now with extra Maori accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geren_FPWEg
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:06     #3619
Lightspeed

That is amazing.

I liked this interview of Waititi from the NYTimes. There were just a couple of cringes.

He definitely should direct a Star Wars one off, like Rogue One. A Chewbacca movie, in the spirit of Ewoks.
Old 23rd October 2017, 18:41     #3620
CCS
Stunt Pants

Love it. Now MUC needs some major hori. Just to piss people off even more.

Quote:
Elyrian Elder

Stupid accent for Korg, doesn't even match up with the animation and the accent in general sucks, couldn't even tell at first what he was saying. How the hell does "the hammer rode you on your back" become "damma rude you on yus beck?"

Stupiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid
Old 28th October 2017, 01:01     #3621
Lightspeed

I really enjoyed Ragnarok. Korg was brilliant. Urban was awesome, but I thought his character was underwhelming.

The 3D was amazing. I need to set up my Rift to watch movies.
Old 29th October 2017, 14:35     #3622
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I really enjoyed Ragnarok. Korg was brilliant. Urban was awesome, but I thought his character was underwhelming.

The 3D was amazing. I need to set up my Rift to watch movies.
I've watched X-Men using my Vive using Half SBS 3D, works really well.
Old 16th November 2017, 02:22     #3623
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Early Justice League reviews are... brutal.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:04     #3624
StN
I have detailed files

I am off to my annual Reefton pilgramage today - and *almost* put on the Bob Ross t-shirt my daughter gave me.

It might have been lost on them, so I opted for Family Guy Blue Harvest.

Anyway - Not Bob Ross:

https://youtu.be/BbBBX4Q_eek
Old 19th November 2017, 02:44     #3625
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Early Justice League reviews are... brutal.
For good reason. It's rubbish. Saw it tonight; really disappointed. Cheesy one liners, bad acting, CGI was crap, disjointed with holes all over the place. I'm normally really easy to please when it comes to super hero type movies, but I was looking forward to the end by half way through the movie.

It would take some Christopher-Nolan-Batman-Begins level reboots to fix JL.
Old 20th November 2017, 19:17     #3626
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

How do you fuck up a movie like that? How do you fuck a movie featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, and... that other one... so bad that it makes LESS money than the stinking turd that was Suicide Squad? That movie was so bad that I stopped watching three quarters through, and I can't remember the last time I did that.

Quote:
The fifth movie in Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.’s DC Films franchise, the big event superhero team-up movie, has now scored the lowest opening weekend of them all. Justice League just opened with $70 million less than Batman v Superman, $37m less than Suicide Squad, $32m less than Man of Steel and $7m less than Wonder Woman.
How the actual fuck.
Old 21st November 2017, 09:08     #3627
chiQ
Frag-muff

Good grief!
Old 21st November 2017, 09:48     #3628
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
How do you fuck up a movie like that? How do you fuck a movie featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, and... that other one... so bad that it makes LESS money than the stinking turd that was Suicide Squad? That movie was so bad that I stopped watching three quarters through, and I can't remember the last time I did that.

How the actual fuck.
Suicide Squad wasn't a good movie, but you had to pay to find that out. It was the tenth-highest-grossing film of 2016 yet received horrible reviews.
How? It had a massive marketing campaign, and some of the best trailers I've seen in a long time. The hype was real, but it leveraged the Joker character, Will Smith's face, and Margot Robbie's ass. I have no problem with that last one.

If you could see a graph of box office take over time, you've got that wave of hype that means it starts strong but dies quickly, and it'll take in a lot of money before it slows down.

By the time Justice League rolls around, you're actually in a worse off place than when you started. No one had high hopes for it.

Imagine if Iron Man and Captain America were Hulk and Green Lantern levels of boring, which BvS & Suicide Squad were certainly in the same realm as. No one would be looking forward to The Avengers.
Instead, you had some unpopular and obscure Marvel characters, and made great movies out of them. If Iron Man and Captain America were completely unrelated to Marvel, comics, or geek culture in general, they'd still be "good movies".
Guardians of the Galaxy proved that pretty well. No one outside of the comic store had heard of them before that movie.

When playing Marvel vs Capcom at the arcades in the early 2000's, there's no way I'd pick Iron Man, Captain America, Thor.. because these guys are lame. Give me Wolverine, Venom, Spiderman. Those are the big names.
Batman, Superman, Wonder Women.. These are some of the biggest characters in geek culture and there's an absolute pattern of using the characters as the anchor for the movie. Throwing a recognizable character into an expensive movie doesn't make a good movie.

Imagine for a second that the Marvel Cinematic Universe was never made, and geek culture movies continued on the same path as they've always had.
You'd be going from Warner Bro's Batman in the 90's, to Sony's Spiderman, to Universal's Hulk, Fox's Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, the Nolanverse Batman at its very peak, and suddenly the trend of mediocre movies like BvS, Suicide Squad, Justice League, etc, doesn't look out of place.

Marvel/Disney is the only studio making great movies and putting B list superheroes in them.
DC aren't alone in making the mistake of taking A list superheroes and forcing a movie to be wrapped around them, hoping the characters will carry them all the way to the bank.
It didn't work for Warner Bro's, Sony, Fox, Universal in the last 20 years, why would it work now? Just because Marvel are making it work? At least Sony have the sense to let Marvel borrow Spiderman for a contra deal. Now Fox are slowly learning to losen up those strings with Deadpool, and I'm sure it won't be the last to wisen up.

I wonder if they'll do Gambit justice.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 21st November 2017 at 09:51.
Old 21st November 2017, 09:55     #3629
Cyberbob

Oh yea, I forgot the X-men movies. They took arguably one of the best storylines in all of comic history, and made it a minor plot element in the third act of a shitty movie.

They're trying again, but I don't have high hopes.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 21st November 2017 at 09:56.
Old 21st November 2017, 10:29     #3630
crocos

Also: Zack Snyder. Overrated as fuck.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st November 2017, 12:01     #3631
pxpx

I will pay happily pay $15 because I absolutely need to see the cgi moustache removal on Henry Cavill.
Old 21st November 2017, 13:43     #3632
Lightspeed

I liked Suicide Squad. But maybe it was the Joker/Harley Quinn dynamic that carried it for me. Then again I did like Deadshot, Waller and the power struggle between them too. Maybe it was just too freaky for most people? I mean, it had the usual action movie bs, but that's never gotten in the way before...

Maybe I'll see Justice League on a cheap night at the local, be pleasantly surprised.
Old 21st November 2017, 13:59     #3633
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The theme I'm getting from all the rants is Warner Bros micromanagement.

And Marvel has had Kevin Feige. Without that guy, nothin.

And another thing I read somewhere, can't find link: Watchmen is Zack Snyder's favourite story of all time and he's stuck remaking it. Superman as an aloof godlike Dr Manhattan, people dying everything and he doesn't care; Batman as an over-the-hill angsty Nite Owl in the suit and an arrogant richprick Ozymandias out of it.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:01     #3634
pxpx

Thor yes good! So good. So many lols!

If I had to nit pick, the CGI Hela vs Asgardian Soldiers, was a little too Matrix 2 Burly Brawl-esque for me.

There was one other story thing, where something happened "because the plot required" but to be honest I've totally forgotten what it was now because the rest of the movie was just excellent.

Also fuck you stupid woman on your cellphone (at full brightness, the minute the movie actually started) who needed to be told to GTFO, for making me miss the first few lines of opening dialogue.
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:44     #3635
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob

Marvel/Disney is the only studio making great movies and putting B list superheroes in them.
The crazy thing is THEY ARE NOW A-LIST. Iron Man and Captain America are now legit cultural icons because of the way they've been portrayed by Downey and Evans.

Selling off the rights to its top-tier talent might be the best mistake Marvel ever made.
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:21     #3636
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
I will pay happily pay $15 because I absolutely need to see the cgi moustache removal on Henry Cavill.
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:22     #3637
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

what the uncannyvalleyfuck
Old 30th November 2017, 07:27     #3638
StN
I have detailed files

"Who the hell are you guys?"

Nice.

Hmmm. The blue infinity stone slotting into the gauntlet might confirm the Kevin Smith speculation that Loki atones and is the sacrifice moving from one set of Avengers to another.

Last edited by StN : 30th November 2017 at 07:31.
Old 30th November 2017, 13:17     #3639
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

All the original Avengers will be out of contract after this one won't they?

Edit update: according to this

https://qz.com/1139562/marvel-may-so...tracts-expire/

Contracts up after Infinity War and Avengers 4:

Evans
Downey
Hemsworth
Johansson (possibly with an option for a solo movie?)
Renner (with an option for a solo movie)
Hiddleston

By the sounds of it Evans is happy to finish up and hand over the shield, while Downey's so fucking expensive that I'm sure Disney's beancounters want Stark dead nice and soon. The guy must have a pitbull with precognition for an agent, apparently he did Iron Man for fuck all in salary - less than Terrence Howard got as Rhodes! - in return for increasingly big money for future movies, which seemed like a wild dream back before Iron Man. Ka-ching. Apparently Downey will take home as much money for the next two Avengers movies as every other actor combined.
Old 30th November 2017, 14:32     #3640
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Apparently Downey will take home as much money for the next two Avengers movies as every other actor combined.
He's got the taste of gunmetal in his mouth and he likes it.