Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 26th January 2013, 17:33     #12681
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
It's an Ice Cream Sandwich build (4.0.3), with a version string edit so that when you go "About phone" it says Android version 4.1.1. Since Android is so wonderfully open, it would be trivial to edit a string to satisfy a cursory check. It's no secret that this happens.

If you turn on debugging mode, you find the API version is 15 which indicates a 4.0.3 build. The easter egg also displays "nyan ice cream sandwich droid" and states "Android 4.0". It seems much more likely that they've changed one string in the "About phone" screen rather than created a whole new special fork of Android - the Google Play Store works fine, and from what I've seen in the past, if they're "Chinese Android" ROMs they don't work with the Google Play Store.
So are you saying the OS is telling the user it's a different version to what it actually is?

Quote:
OK, good spotting Chief, I was just looking here: http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/ and that Titan isn't listed.
I thought the azns calling it Titan was a bit of a giveaway.
Old 26th January 2013, 18:02     #12682
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
So are you saying the OS is telling the user it's a different version to what it actually is?
Only in the "About phone" screen, but this is the obvious place to check, so the obvious place to "fake" a version. If you request the version programmatically it (the OS) responds with the actual version, which is 4.0.3 (API 15).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I thought the azns calling it Titan was a bit of a giveaway.
Who cares? They look fairly similar, which is why I said it was 95% the same. I didn't investigate HTC phones, because I had no intention of buying one. I'll happily admit that I don't know every model phone that exists. It was never my intention to get a phone that looks like another phone. Some of the phones are called A7100, B930, W007. Titan seemed like a fairly generic name, and to me it's just an MTK6577.
Old 26th January 2013, 18:03     #12683
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Look, if you really want one, I can give you the link
Old 26th January 2013, 18:18     #12684
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Only in the "About phone" screen, but this is the obvious place to check, so the obvious place to "fake" a version. If you request the version programmatically it (the OS) responds with the actual version, which is 4.0.3 (API 15).
Sounds more like false advertising to me but hey, that's what you get when you by a cheap Adroid phone from Red China.

Quote:
Who cares? They look fairly similar, which is why I said it was 95% the same. I didn't investigate HTC phones, because I had no intention of buying one. I'll happily admit that I don't know every model phone that exists. It was never my intention to get a phone that looks like another phone. Some of the phones are called A7100, B930, W007. Titan seemed like a fairly generic name, and to me it's just an MTK6577.
Calm down bro. I was just trying to establish what your expectations were.
Old 26th January 2013, 18:56     #12685
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Only in the "About phone" screen
why do people keep feeding the dumbballs. explain it once and be done with it. dumb trolls be trolling dumb
Old 26th January 2013, 19:18     #12686
_indigo1

Yeah like I said. Ankle biting chihuahua

Empty posturing; Ineffective at ever doing any real damage. Easily ignored, and frankly quite sad.

The dog won't hunt.
Old 26th January 2013, 19:31     #12687
CCS
Stunt Pants

How am I posturing? I'm just asking questions. No more tears, indigo1. There is no need to be upset.
Old 26th January 2013, 19:48     #12688
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
How am I posturing? I'm just asking questions. No more tears, indigo1. There is no need to be upset.
At least you're good for a laugh
Old 26th January 2013, 19:58     #12689
CCS
Stunt Pants

At least I'm not a total fucking moron like yourself!
Old 27th January 2013, 16:59     #12690
Nich

behold, my iphone 5 lock screen

Old 27th January 2013, 20:57     #12691
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Number of OS and hardware variations required to test and cater for when doing an iOS development, versus doing an Android development?
I develop Android applications (among other things)
This is no issue for me.

Also; no business in their right mind will deploy iphones/pads across their workforce for it's smart features. (Sure as an iWank for sales people and execs they might)

Android is no problem.
This also goes for factory floor, in-vehicle, ruggardised in machinery (loaders/forklifts etc)

(I know this because I implement it on a regular basis)

What I also know is that three times Apple has broken the way users use our software with their software updates. Not through bugs, but through improper backward compatibility and undocumented changes.
Old 27th January 2013, 21:02     #12692
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Oh ok so the complaint you had that the figures were flawed because they didn't compare one company vs. groups of companies, was actually bullshit because... unrelated reason you hadn't thought to mention until this moment?

Cool.

Have fun developing for the groups-of-companies that don't make you jump through hopes. I'll be over here using the many, many excellent apps built for the Walled Garden. I'll probably even pay money for most of them!
GOOG and APPL are stock market symbols; using these implied that the figures I was referring to were the officially posted ones. Perhaps I didn't imply hard enough.

I read Ab's post, and was also aware that Google had had good growth last quarter. As did Samsung.

Re your final sentence: why thank you, I will!

Last edited by _indigo1 : 27th January 2013 at 21:07.
Old 27th January 2013, 21:03     #12693
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
His earlier post hinted rather strongly that the type of developing he's doing doesn't really count as smartphone development under either OS.
GT - we do both. Native and web.

Both count as smart phone development.
Javascript can be given direct access to native API in both OS's.
Mozilla's upcoming OS is Javascript native.

This is the way of the future.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 27th January 2013 at 21:07.
Old 27th January 2013, 22:31     #12694
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
This is the way of the future.
I'm imagining it's very tough to be sure of clipping-the-ticket under that future and so it's not so clear to me this is the way forward for any OS vendor that wants to be rich.

I can appreciate life would be tough when playing outside of the expected design pattern too. Lots of things risk being changed and there will be no testing or sympathy from a company like Apple.
Old 28th January 2013, 13:50     #12695
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I'm imagining it's very tough to be sure of clipping-the-ticket under that future and so it's not so clear to me this is the way forward for any OS vendor that wants to be rich.

I can appreciate life would be tough when playing outside of the expected design pattern too. Lots of things risk being changed and there will be no testing or sympathy from a company like Apple.
Yeah agree with first sentence completely. But this has repeated itself throughout computer history.
Look at how the web browser has developed. Companies always try to work toward a platform that gives them control and power. It's what companies do.

History has also proven that 'the people' have a choice in this, and can ultimately break out of this model, the controlling platform forced to change.
(Talking IE v FF here - the net would be very different had that war not occured)

With regard to the second sentence; I don't see why it's apples job to test someone else's app; unless I'm misunderstanding you.
Developer of the app is responsible for this. This includes detection of execution environment capabilities and adaption as necessary. There are and will be more libraries that do this for you.
If a vendor decides to provide additional API functionality; GREAT, use it if it's there. Their API should be what they have tested.

The reason we are not all using CompuServ type systems is that this style of development DOES work. It's what the entire internet is based on.

Regardless of whether native is better; in the end, ubiquity is king.
It's the reason most of the computing world is still running inferior turbocharged x86 variants instead of a newer much more efficient architecture.

As HTML5 gears up and begins to show it can do all the things a native app can do, the question developers will ask is 'WHY doesnt it work on platform x, it works on all others'
Leading platform x to join the club or be left behind.

This has already happened to a certain extent. With exception to MS, the mobile world has upgraded it's browsing experience with modern HTML5 functionality available on most platforms.
Take a look 5 years ago. If you even tried to run an ACID test on a mobile browser you'd be laughed out of your dev office.

It's happening to Flash, because it's too hard to support all platforms and the community demands a better solution.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 28th January 2013 at 13:55.
Old 28th January 2013, 13:57     #12696
_indigo1

Oh, in case it wasn't clear: It's entirely possible for a web app (using that term losely; as an HTML5 environment doesn't require being online) to use native environment widgets rather than using HTML.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 28th January 2013 at 14:02.
Old 28th January 2013, 15:31     #12697
Trigger
Laserman

Samsung doing pretty well despite losing lawsuit with Apple
76% increase in profits

http://news.techeye.net/mobile/samsu...onster-profits
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/9...artphones.html
Old 28th January 2013, 15:35     #12698
crocos

Quote:
Also; no business in their right mind will deploy iphones/pads across their workforce for it's smart features. (Sure as an iWank for sales people and execs they might)

Android is no problem.
Yeah, no one deploys iDevices across their workforce. You know, except for all the businesses that do exactly that, and refuse to do this for Android.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 28th January 2013, 15:47     #12699
p01s0n

Congrats to Samsung for making $17.60 over the previous best of $10
Old 28th January 2013, 17:06     #12700
Furry Crew

Quote:
Look, if you really want one, I can give you the link
Let me guess....you bought it off Alibaba/Aliexpress?
Love that site....if you know what you're looking for you can get some seriously good gear/toy as long as you're not attached to "brands" and fancy logos.

Last edited by Furry Crew : 28th January 2013 at 17:08.
Old 28th January 2013, 18:12     #12701
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lol, yeah as long as you're not attached to things that work.
Old 28th January 2013, 19:33     #12702
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Yeah, no one deploys iDevices across their workforce. You know, except for all the businesses that do exactly that, and refuse to do this for Android.

Personally, I've only dealt with companies who have done this and regret it.
When I say workforce; I don't mean the office worker/sales rep who needs a phone with email, as I said.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 28th January 2013 at 19:35.
Old 28th January 2013, 19:38     #12703
p01s0n

Quote:
When I say workforce; I don't mean the office worker/sales rep who needs a phone with email, as I said.
lol we literally put out a bulletin last year telling employees and students to take their janky shit android phones home because we won't support them or have anything to do with them.

android is a fucking nightmare in the workplace.
Old 28th January 2013, 21:13     #12704
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
unless I'm misunderstanding you.
I was meaning that if your app starts and ends life in XCode then there's a chance of things keeping working so long as you take the opportunity to keep on top of changes during beta periods. This is true because this is an expected development pattern under iOS.
Old 28th January 2013, 21:30     #12705
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cunning linguist

If your name is an anagram of "Sandwich Hackers", Red China already 0wns j00.
Old 28th January 2013, 22:05     #12706
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
behold, my iphone 5 lock screen

[img]
when you slide to unlock is it like a guillotine through his neck?
Old 28th January 2013, 22:33     #12707
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
I'll be sure to let two of the biggest law firms of NZ, 3 of the biggest accountancy firms, and a big insolvency firm know that none of them are proper workforces in your book.

ALL HAIL TEH GREAT ONE.
Old 28th January 2013, 22:37     #12708
p01s0n

someone needs to make a @shitindigosays twitter
Old 28th January 2013, 23:22     #12709
Spink

make a subreddit, it would fit right in
Old 29th January 2013, 00:17     #12710
Nich

he kind of peeks out over the "Slide to Unlock" like a nosey neighbour
Old 29th January 2013, 02:43     #12711
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I'll be sure to let two of the biggest law firms of NZ, 3 of the biggest accountancy firms, and a big insolvency firm know that none of them are proper workforces in your book.

ALL HAIL TEH GREAT ONE.
For someone who I've somehow been lead to believe is of above average intelligence; you sure display high ability of being able to comprehend context.

But your ridiculous comment aside; all of your examples would seem to me to be rudimentary uses of smart devices - uses which most any half decent half modern one should be able to perform. Knowing that, the only thing open to variability is organisational or personal brand alignment.

Take another read of the thread history and see if you can spy some context to the discussion.

And on a more personal note; the only one of the three I count as real work is Accounting anyway. The others are parasitical.
Old 29th January 2013, 02:53     #12712
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

As a rule people who want smartphones get iPhones. People who get Android phones use them as... phones.
Old 29th January 2013, 03:15     #12713
Charismo'

Quote:
For someone who I've somehow been lead to believe is of above average intelligence; you sure display high ability of being able to comprehend context.
heh.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:28     #12714
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...one-shipments/
Old 29th January 2013, 10:00     #12715
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
As a rule people who want smartphones get iPhones. People who get Android phones use them as... phones.
I'm guessing you're still mad that no Android users clicked on your email spam, er, "marketing campagain".

One word - Facebook. Sad but true.

http://www.redmondpie.com/facebook-f...ok-for-iphone/
Old 29th January 2013, 10:27     #12716
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

facepalm

Err "campaign"
Old 29th January 2013, 10:29     #12717
Spink

You could atleast quote an article that isn't over a year old, http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/04/how...facebook-have/ there's one from this month.
Old 29th January 2013, 10:36     #12718
Cyberbob

Quote:
I'm guessing you're still mad that no Android users clicked on your email spam, er, "marketing campagain".

One word - Facebook. Sad but true.

http://www.redmondpie.com/facebook-f...ok-for-iphone/
But is that a very significant figure?

58m facebook-on-android users versus 54m facebook-on-iOS users sounds cool, but then you're faced with the facts that its basically the entire iOS user base, but only a fraction of the Android user base.

Does the comparison really mean anything? They're cool stats for Facebook marketing execs, but Android and iOS marketing execs couldn't care less.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th January 2013 at 10:38.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:01     #12719
Heresy
yawn.

Interesting video here spelling out some of the key reasons why Apple are succeeding over Android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvqmhWn0tDM
Old 29th January 2013, 11:03     #12720
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
The others are parasitical.
I like lawyers - they help keep people safe from the types of risks that would otherwise likely ruin their lives. Insolvency firms are much the same although they're almost exclusively like an ambulance whereas lawyers are also in the prevention business too.

But the reality is most people don't appreciate what these firms are doing for them since they rely upon others without ever realising to engage them to help (be that their employer or community or other paternal influence in their lives).

Love is the feeling you should have here.