Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 8th June 2010, 20:06     #2001
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan

Jeebus, Steve really needs to eat some pies.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:09     #2002
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
I want an iPhone 4. Wife can look forward to a hand-me-down 3GS...
Ditto
Old 8th June 2010, 21:11     #2003
xin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat
I doubt you could offer the same pricing I got from o2...

As far as dislike, I've read over 40 reviews (positive and negative), a lot of them video reviews.
Going into it with eyes wide open.
Oh, you're 'over there'? Fair enough then.

My opinion on it started out well, and has slowly declined since I got it.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:31     #2004
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
lol @ poison complaining how long it took him to change wallpaper on android. Every tried changing it on a iphone buddy? let me know when you figure that out rofl.
oh hey bro

since you're a fucking moron, here is how you change the wallpaper on an iphone:

you dont.

but you can change the lock screen image by going to:

settings
\/
wallpaper

I know for androidailures, and more importantly in your case, RIMailures, this can be a taxing task, since you are used to un-intuitive and un-hinted interfaces like "mash your greasy finger against an empty space of the desktop for 2+ seconds", but for the average human being that doesn't have aspergers, the thought process works like this:

"i want to change the background setting. i should open the icon labelled 'settings'. oh look, there is a option called 'background', ill try that one."
Old 8th June 2010, 21:39     #2005
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xin
Oh, you're 'over there'? Fair enough then.

My opinion on it started out well, and has slowly declined since I got it.
Nope, not over there anymore. Still get upgrade offers every month or 2.
This is one I took up. (mailed to a friend in Eire who's mailing it to me)
Old 8th June 2010, 21:48     #2006
Kanz

Pretty decent upgrade (compared the the lame 3GS upgrade anyway)...

Retina display, HD recording, new stz of the phone, seals the deal for me.

Glad I sold mine a couple of weeks ago (but suffering without it). Mad price drops on the 3GS
http://store.apple.com/nz/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzMTI
Old 8th June 2010, 21:51     #2007
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanz
Pretty decent upgrade (compared the the lame 3GS upgrade anyway)...

Retina display, HD recording, new stz of the phone, seals the deal for me.

Glad I sold mine a couple of weeks ago (but suffering without it). Mad price drops on the 3GS
http://store.apple.com/nz/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzMTI
and as a win-win, even for androidailures, you will be able to buy all the HTC evos and desires you want for $50 a piece on ebay, starting from June 24th!
Old 8th June 2010, 22:43     #2008
RedeviL

lol pie.

Still like the look of the HTC Desire more than the iPhone 4 - guess I'll see if it was a good choice when it arrives this week.

Larger screen, if slightly lower resolution.
Nicer physical appearance.
Don't have to deal with iTunes.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:10     #2009
lambchop

i can't see how that rez advantage of the iphone really counts a whole lot on a screen smaller than the desire ..i mean i'm zooming in on fonts and can't see any jaggez ..

but love the side profile of the new iphone.

how does the contrast ratio stand up agasint AMOLED ?
Old 8th June 2010, 23:16     #2010
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop
i can't see how that rez advantage of the iphone really counts a whole lot on a screen smaller than the desire ..i mean i'm zooming in on fonts and can't see any jaggez ..
It's more for when font is super small, so you don't need to zoom in to read stuff. For example on my 3GS when browsing NZG in portrait mode, text is a bit hard to read as isn't very clear. I have two choices, turn the phone to landscape, font gets a bit bigger and all good, or zoom in slightly but then have to scroll around to read it. With iPhone4 will be able to read that super small font in portrait just fine...
Old 8th June 2010, 23:41     #2011
[BT]Monza

I got bored...

So yeah, with the high res of the iPhone4, the above text will be crisp and clear, but good luck reading text that small if over 40...

Hasn't really bothered me, flick the phone around and no probs.

Old 8th June 2010, 23:41     #2012
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
I want an iPhone 4. Wife can look forward to a hand-me-down 3GS...
Princess got in early this morning. "New Iphone. When are we getting some?"

I guess MHG is getting a hand-me-down 3G.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:50     #2013
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
Jeebus, Steve really needs to eat some pies.
Cancer: It's the heroin-chic look for a new generation.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th June 2010, 00:26     #2014
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
oh hey bro

since you're a fucking moron, here is how you change the wallpaper on an iphone:

you dont.

but you can change the lock screen image by going to:

settings
\/
wallpaper

I know for androidailures, and more importantly in your case, RIMailures, this can be a taxing task, since you are used to un-intuitive and un-hinted interfaces like "mash your greasy finger against an empty space of the desktop for 2+ seconds", but for the average human being that doesn't have aspergers, the thought process works like this:

"i want to change the background setting. i should open the icon labelled 'settings'. oh look, there is a option called 'background', ill try that one."
Or, from the home screen you can press the menu button, and there it is:

Old 9th June 2010, 06:39     #2015
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Or, from the home screen you can press the menu button, and there it is:

ok i'll acknowledge this as a better option, but I refuse to acknowledge rocket, because he is a retard.

Also that home screen is hella cluttered and ugly. Why is the camera icon in the top corner so awful and contrasted to the rest of the UI? Why is personalization of the homescreen duplicated between pushing the home button and holding down on the desktop, yet with different interfaces?

pretty lol that everyone gives the iphone shit because of the operating system, but google needs to shunt out 5 major revisions of its OS in a 12month time frame just to even start to match the iphone for polish.
Old 9th June 2010, 06:54     #2016
Bandalador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Princess got in early this morning. "New Iphone. When are we getting some?"

I guess MHG is getting a hand-me-down 3G.
Ouch. My wife is not into gadgets at all so she will be thrilled with the 3GS. My guess is she will be less thrilled with the ~$1400 gap in the account.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:29     #2017
^BITES^

Quote:
pretty lol that everyone gives the iphone shit because of the operating system, but google needs to shunt out 5 major revisions of its OS in a 12month time frame just to even start to match the iphone for polish.
ahahaahahahahah

Firstly theres only 3 "Major" versions of the Android OS that have been released, 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0/2.1, everything pre that was beta/dev. 1 or 2 minor updates for 2.0/2.1.... 5 major revisions lol...

To clarify ... everyone takes the piss out of how long it took to get a basic features ... multitasking and copy and paste ... windows had that what in the 80s? Apple have to release a whole new version of the iOS (3 "major" releases in?) Fanbois quick ... respond with .. I don't use copy and paste or more than one app at a time durrr, "I don't need that" excuse....

Also in regards to "fractured os" and "shunt out 5 major revisions" for iOS 2.0 ... there were 5 releases in that year to update it to usable/stable... iOS 3.0, 5 updates so far, were not even 6 months into that yearly cycle.

3 Major updates versus 5 or 5+ minor versions/updates, and android is the one "shunting out updates"?

I know itunes hides all this technical mumbo jumbo behind that SLICK itunes interface .... but they are bugfixing the iphone platform more than android .... the idea that a phone with about as much configurability as a toaster is "polished" is solid. Even if you discredit rocket ... he does have your nuts on the ability to change a background ... maybe you'll get that in iOS 5? Unky jobs might losen the reigns by then to allow these advanced features!

I notice the app arguement has gone out the window. Funny that. Also lol "2.0 came available with the release of the iPhone 3G. Devices running 1.x could be updated to this version. This was the first version of the OS to come with the App Store and made third-party applications available."

It took a year before you even had third-party apps available(and a major update OF COURSE!!!).... classic. Androids had them since release.

The icon your bitching about is an app the guys running to take the screen shot .... wow this is classic.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 9th June 2010 at 09:31.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:53     #2018
p01s0n

lol at how wrong you are.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:15     #2019
mpx

Soooo... about that FM radio?
*slowly drowning in a pool of fanboyism*

Or even a place where I can get something to listen to FM radio on my iPhone would be tops, but the other two times I've asked that it has also been swallowed up in the fanboy tornado.

Old 9th June 2010, 10:20     #2020
[BT]Monza

Tunein Radio works well
Old 9th June 2010, 10:29     #2021
mpx

I'm talking about FM radio for travelling, I've found it doesn't take long for radio apps to cut out while travelling.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:53     #2022
^BITES^

Quote:
WOW .... Good counter points .... you had me at lol. The other 5 words were over the top.

Even apple arguements lack depth .... maybe throw in "revolutionary" in there to flesh it out a bit when your not sure .. works for unky jobbs.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th June 2010, 11:17     #2023
ZoSo

Are they touching up the touch anytime soon? (hardware wise, not OS)
Old 9th June 2010, 11:31     #2024
p01s0n

iphone 4. it's a better iphone, which means it's the best phone there is.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:05     #2025
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan

Must be getting hammered, I can't connect to the streams QT just sits there "connecting".
Old 9th June 2010, 12:18     #2026
Disinformation

Quote:
Also that home screen is hella cluttered and ugly. Why is the camera icon in the top corner so awful and contrasted to the rest of the UI? Why is personalization of the homescreen duplicated between pushing the home button and holding down on the desktop, yet with different interfaces?
Its all about choice. If you don't like how that camera icon looks then don't let the app put it into the notification bar (or choose a different app). If you don't like one method of changing the wallpaper (and there are plenty more than those two) then just leave the others alone.

For a lot of us function is more important than form, we'd rather put up with the occasional ugly icon than have the functionality removed entirely.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:22     #2027
p01s0n

for WWDC, they should have used this tagline,

only changed it to an image of the iphone 4 with the tagline "Redmond, start drinking"
Old 9th June 2010, 14:11     #2028
crocos

Quote:
If Simon was going to give you a tag, it'd need to be "Trollin' da fanboiz" or similar.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th June 2010, 14:24     #2029
Rocket

nar you got that wrong way, hes the fanboi being trolled
Old 9th June 2010, 14:29     #2030
Rocket

Cunning linguist

Quote:
ok i'll acknowledge this as a better option, but I refuse to acknowledge rocket, because he is a retard.

God you actually define nerd rage. Added to ignore list.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:39     #2031
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
nar you got that wrong way, hes the fanboi being trolled
wurd.... even funnier is the house of cards reasons he comes up with .. comedy/fail gold tbh..

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th June 2010, 14:41     #2032
Bent

Ignore lists, because you can still read text when putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".
Old 9th June 2010, 15:30     #2033
nostrom0

Rocket, baiting Apple fanbois since ages ago!
Old 9th June 2010, 17:14     #2034
RedeviL

I must say I'm impressed by Android so far - received my nice new HTC Desire this morning. 10 mins of setup including a few mins to look up what Vodafones APNs are - done!

Here I was worrying about porting everything from my Nokia E90.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:14     #2035
{m}

Those people dissing Apple for a lack of features are missing the point. Apple aren't trying to compete on feature count. They (and many other companies) have a different philosophy - it's not about quantity, it's about quality. They don't release a feature (e.g. copy/paste) until they're happy with how it works.

Some people choose products by counting features, some people are more interested in the quality of the user experience. If you're a features man, then Apple probably isn't your sort of company.

End of argument.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:29     #2036
lektronimo

po1son: the reason I hate Apple and everything they do.

Question: What is nerd-rage?

Ab at least makes good arguments for his use of apple hardware, so maybe you should try reasoning before you post any more instead of reverting to stale talking points?
Old 9th June 2010, 18:53     #2037
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by {m}
Those people dissing Apple for a lack of features are missing the point. Apple aren't trying to compete on feature count. They (and many other companies) have a different philosophy - it's not about quantity, it's about quality. They don't release a feature (e.g. copy/paste) until they're happy with how it works.
I recently read an article on Apple's big-product development processes, and the basic message of the piece was that your mind would be blown at how small the teams are that work on any new Apple product. It read like Apple's design and dev philosophy was to get together a very small team of people who got the product's overall vision (presumably driven by Jobs) and the design (presumably driven by Ive) and then for that small team to focus on a small realistic deliverable feature set for version 1.0 of the product.

The article was really interesting, I'll' try and find it. But the key point was that Apple doesn't give a shit about leaving what it deems to be nonessential features out of version 1.0 in order to make sure it gets the core functions right. Because shit like copy and paste can always be added later.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:54     #2038
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Anyway, came to this thread to post a link to this article on Iphone 4 by an Android fanboy:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/08/an-...s-iphone-news/
Old 9th June 2010, 18:57     #2039
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Anyway, came to this thread to post a link to this article on Iphone 4 by an Android fanboy:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/08/an-...s-iphone-news/
ahahahahaha

wow its like a review by poison. Android fanboy? ... yeah nah.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th June 2010, 18:57     #2040
pervy

Quote:
Originally Posted by {m}

Some people choose products by counting features, some people are more interested in the quality of the user experience. If you're a features man, then Apple probably isn't your sort of company.

End of argument.
Seriously? It's copy and paste.... your god can release the greatest smartphone ever but he wants to make sure copy and paste works ok before they include it as a feature?

It's this delusion that makes me dislike apple people. If they just admitted that it was a feature that should have been included but wasn't then fine, no problem.

Don't you buy a smartphone for its features? Otherwise you would just buy a normal phone?