•Labour:)25.5% (-3.5% from October)
•National:)39.0% (+7.0%)
•Greens:)12.0% (-3.5%)
•ACT:)11.0% (-1.5%)
•Maori:)4.0% (+1.0%)
•NZ First:)3.5% (nc)
•TOP:)2.5% (-0.5%)
•New:)Conservatives:)0.5% (nc)

If an election were held tomorrow, on those numbers Labour would be destroyed, losing 31 seats. Better poll numbers than that had the Caucus knife Angry Andy and install Jacinda in panic.
Old 10th December 2022, 20:43     #1362
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looks like Labour has been shown the door quite brutally in Ham West.
Old 13th December 2022, 12:23     #1363
Lightspeed

Two ministries failed to manage perceived conflicts over Nanaia Mahuta's husband's consulting

Quote:
While the Commission’s review into contracts awarded to Ka Awatea Services and Kawai Catalyst did not find any evidence of favouritism or bias towards the companies, it did criticise four government agencies for failing to follow or have good processes for managing and identifying perceived conflicts.
Old 13th December 2022, 12:51     #1364
StN
I have detailed files

Need to update forms...

○ Are you married to a Minister of the crown?
or
○ Are you the cousin of a Minister of the crown?
or
○ Both
Old 13th December 2022, 14:39     #1365
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

If an election were held tomorrow, on those numbers Labour would be destroyed, losing 31 seats
aaaaaand here come the pre-emptive resignations
Old 13th December 2022, 15:24     #1366
_indigo1

https://imgur.com/a/3l99p2N
Old 13th December 2022, 16:53     #1367
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
"While the Commission’s review into contracts awarded to Ka Awatea Services and Kawai Catalyst did not find any evidence of favouritism or bias towards the companies, it did criticise four government agencies for failing to follow or have good processes for managing and identifying perceived conflicts."
From the hysterical vitriol around this it sure looks like a lot of this 'perceived conflict' comes from the parties involved being Maori. So nothing new.
Old 13th December 2022, 17:52     #1368
Lightspeed

It's like this story:

100-year-old trees that are home to little owls face chop for new housing

There'd be cries about the end of democracy if co-governance was involved. But because it's a commercial development the framing is completely different.
Old 13th December 2022, 18:02     #1369
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
From the hysterical vitriol around this it sure looks like a lot of this 'perceived conflict' comes from the parties involved being Maori. So nothing new.
I wouldn't be surprised if the furore over Mahuta's conduct were being driven by Labour MPs desperate to have her fired, hoping that will save their jobs.
Old 26th December 2022, 13:34     #1370
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lawz iz haaaaaaaaaard

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...L3HSKOYDNH5FE/
Old 19th January 2023, 12:45     #1371
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

w00t, JA resigning.

Because of course she is, she said she wouldn't.
Old 19th January 2023, 13:11     #1372
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

She's had her pluses and minuses. My impression of her is that of a great figurehead when we needed a figurehead, and a bad Prime Minister when we needed a Prime Minister. She's been more smile and wave than John Key ever was.
Old 19th January 2023, 14:56     #1373
fixed_truth

Obviously I wish her politics could have been more progressive. In saying that, politics aside we couldn't have had a better leader throughout the pandemic. I'm grateful that some of my family didn't have to roll the covid dice 2020. As a leader she was the envy of a lot of countries. Made people proud to be a New Zealander again.

Even in her leaving she brings the aroha. Instead of staying in there until burnout she's shown it's okay to put you and your family first when you've had enough. GG aunty

Edit: comment of the day - "Landlords and everyone's crazy uncle gonna be over the moon at this"

Last edited by fixed_truth : 19th January 2023 at 14:59.
Old 19th January 2023, 14:59     #1374
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
w00t, JA resigning.

Because of course she is, she said she wouldn't.
Heaven forbid she changed her mind about staying in a role.

Its one of those stupid questions to ask
1 - are you going to stay at your job / are you going to leave.

99% of people will probably not be telling people they are going to leave a job until they are ready to leave a job.

2 - Are you pregnant. Again, they are either ready to tell you or they are not.

Basically if they are about to leave or a pregnant, they have to lie to you until they are ready
Old 19th January 2023, 15:01     #1375
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
comment of the day - "Landlords and everyone's crazy uncle gonna be over the moon at this"
Wait until they elect Nanaia Mahuta as leader. My god those on extremist/boomers are going to have a heart attack
Old 20th January 2023, 06:00     #1376
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Wait until they elect Nanaia Mahuta as leader. My god those on extremist/boomers are going to have a heart attack
It would make a heap of sense. Chris and Kiri are too good to be served up the shitshow coming in October.

Last edited by StN : 20th January 2023 at 06:05.
Old 20th January 2023, 06:17     #1377
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
She's had her pluses and minuses. My impression of her is that of a great figurehead when we needed a figurehead, and a bad Prime Minister when we needed a Prime Minister. She's been more smile and wave than John Key ever was.
Knitting was stuck to I guess - he was all Commerce, she was all Comms.

During the GFC and Earthquakes, we needed some strong fiscally based leadership. During White Island, the Mosque attack and Pandemic, we needed something more empathetic.

Interesting bit in the CNN article indicating that she was going to skip the Waitangi BBQ due to security concerns. Seems there may have been a clear and present danger, which may have convinced her (in light of the recent attacks on her office) that it wasn't worth it. There's a lot of vitriol out there.

I have no strong feelings either way - as far as I could see, we travelled through uncharted waters with the pandemic, and she did the sensible bit and listened to the scientists not the economists. There were heaps of wrong ways to do it - and I don't think we were in that camp. It hasn't been easy, will take time to recover from, and perhaps that will require a different skill set to pull off - and pretty sure not from Labour.

That's just how the sausage is made.
Old 20th January 2023, 06:39     #1378
blynk

Article in stuff talks about the increase in threats against her made.
Going from a 20 in 2019 to 50 in 2021.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they were even higher in 2022.
Old 21st January 2023, 00:33     #1379
Lightspeed

If Hipkins is chosen to replace Ardern, "Don't Vote Chris" is going to be a great slogan for the alt-vote.
Old 21st January 2023, 08:46     #1380
Cyberbob

I was thinking it'd be unlimited references to "Everybody Hates Chris"
Old 21st January 2023, 10:46     #1381
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Chippie’s in.
Old 21st January 2023, 13:39     #1382
Lightspeed

Bluewink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I was thinking it'd be unlimited references to "Everybody Hates Chris"
That's a harder sell, Hipkins is quite endearing.
Old 21st January 2023, 17:12     #1383
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yes, the northland “sex workers” lockdown and the way he abandoned a kiwi journalist in Afghanistan and then leaked against her to the media are certainly endearmentifying.
Old 21st January 2023, 17:25     #1384
Lightspeed

No one said he wasn't a politician.
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:45     #1385
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Toby Manhire had a good observation on the Gone By Lunchtime podcast re: Jacinda's time as PM; he said something like "she's delivered almost nothing that she promised, and has had to do a lot of things that she never expected". Which is a fair call.

One of the things that bugs me is that her abrupt "I'm exhausted, this is too much" departure kinda kicks in the nuts the whole uplifting gender-equality narrative that it's possible for a (relatively) young mother to be a political leader. Jacinda Ardern herself just told the world that it's too hard. Even with all the support in the world, it was too much.
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:38     #1386
_indigo1

It's kind of labours modus operandi though isn't it - and especially so this administration and prime minister.

Same old story, swinging too far for ideals at the expense of pragmatism and realism. Treat the two the same at your own peril (or the countries)

Last edited by _indigo1 : 23rd January 2023 at 13:40.
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:03     #1387
StN
I have detailed files

I still think something spooked her (no pun intended. Well maybe) and the DPS are doing what DPS does.
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:37     #1388
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
One of the things that bugs me is that her abrupt "I'm exhausted, this is too much" departure kinda kicks in the nuts the whole uplifting gender-equality narrative that it's possible for a (relatively) young mother to be a political leader. Jacinda Ardern herself just told the world that it's too hard. Even with all the support in the world, it was too much.
Had the support of the world that wanted to support her. Those of the world that disapproved probably didn't care.

But those that disapproved in NZ have stepped up to another level of hatred which is probably the bit that took its toll. As well as covid, and whaakari and the shootings etc.
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:38     #1389
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
It's kind of labours modus operandi though isn't it - and especially so this administration and prime minister.

Same old story, swinging too far for ideals at the expense of pragmatism and realism. Treat the two the same at your own peril (or the countries)
I think that is the left in general across the world. They want to be aspirational and do good for the world, but its a lot harder than what the opposition wants to do of cut benefits for the poor and taxes for the rich.
Old 23rd January 2023, 21:03     #1390
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I think that is the left in general across the world. They want to be aspirational and do good for the world, but its a lot harder than what the opposition wants to do of cut benefits for the poor and taxes for the rich.
I don't agree.
The left can be pragmatic whilst idealistic. It's a spectrum.
Old 23rd January 2023, 21:26     #1391
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh yeah, and the free speech thing? she can fuck off.
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:25     #1392
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Except for the fact that she has been a very successful political leader. Oh and for the fact that John Key did the same thing when he'd had enough.
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:37     #1393
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
This type of spin is going around unchecked. A bit like the spin that there's not much difference between Labour & National, and that National are better at managing the economy.

Yes Labour failed on some big ticket projects that they campaigned on. But all the smaller policy they got through over the years does add up. Policy that we wouldn't have seen under National.

https://www.labour.org.nz/our-record
Old 24th January 2023, 09:37     #1394
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I don't know how any politician can handle the abuse tbh. Especially someone who just had a baby.
Old 24th January 2023, 10:10     #1395
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

She’s had to deal with something no other leader has - people who’ve gone insane from loneliness and the internet. It sounds like her threats have been off the charts.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:19     #1396
Lightspeed

I wonder if Hipkins is going to bind himself to promises the way Ardern did? Right now GCT is back on the table, at least in theory.

But I doubt it, I can't see the electorate putting up with any new taxes.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:26     #1397
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Chris Trotter is a bit more cynical on Jacinda's motivation; to paraphrase, she has her eye on the next step in Helen Clark's career path formula (UN) and being the leader on whose watch "co-governance" hit the fan was going to impede her progress – either by making her massively unpopular with the electorate or by painting her as insufficiently committed to "decolonisation".

https://www.interest.co.nz/public-po...tious-and-more
Old 8th February 2023, 15:37     #1398
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Chippie has dropped the anti-free-speech aka “human rights amendment” bill.

Unf.
Old 8th February 2023, 16:12     #1399
Lightspeed

I'm feeling mixed about the TVNZ/RNZ merger being dropped.

On one hand TVNZ becoming a responsible broadcaster like RNZ (i.e. higher advertising standards) seemed like a great boon for the country. On the other hand, the risk that RNZ might become more like TVNZ (advertising) was scary.
Old 21st February 2023, 19:31     #1400
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jesus those truancy numbers are a disaster. Wtf