Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th May 2018, 23:31     #41001
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
^^^ Hmm - I suppose it is possible that some day, even the staunchest atheists may have to acknowledge a higher power.
A more powerful entity/race does not a god make.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th May 2018, 01:08     #41002
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
^^^ Hmm - I suppose it is possible that some day, even the staunchest atheists may have to acknowledge a higher power.
If it exists, why would we not?
Old 20th May 2018, 06:10     #41003
crocos

Pfft, filthy Agnostic.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th May 2018, 15:53     #41004
Lightspeed

I wonder what our AIs will make of this forum...
Old 20th May 2018, 16:23     #41005
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Pfft, filthy Agnostic.
Didn't say I'd worship it, just that if it exists I'd acknowledge it. Same as my position for the Christian god: even if a) there were evidence for it and b) I believed in it, it doesn't follow that c) I'd worship it. Dude sounds like a cunt.
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:37     #41006
StN
I have detailed files

I most humbly apologise in advance...

Look - I know there is a thread for this, and Ab will no doubt get the ban stick out, but the irony of the first comment cannot be understated.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/edu...e-arohi-editor

I so much want to reply with "Yes, the imagery is vile, and reminds me of a rather disturbing (pardon the pun) spread in NZX several years back..."

Last edited by StN : 23rd May 2018 at 11:39.
Old 25th May 2018, 14:36     #41007
Cyberbob

So, GDPR goes into effect today. Anyone very impacted?
Old 25th May 2018, 14:47     #41008
Lightspeed

Well, I'm considering creating a new mail filter for all these "our privacy policy has been updated" emails.
Old 25th May 2018, 22:20     #41009
StN
I have detailed files

^^What he said. And I'm sick of getting all the staff reporting them as phishing FFS.
Old 25th May 2018, 22:36     #41010
Cyberbob

muh

"Do you know a good GDPR consultant?"
"Yes"
"Can you give me his email address?"
"No."

Last edited by Cyberbob : 25th May 2018 at 22:37.
Old 27th May 2018, 11:11     #41011
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
"Do you know a good GDPR consultant?"
"Yes"
"Can you give me his email address?"
"No."

Now let that be the end of it.
Old 27th May 2018, 11:17     #41012
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by post on neighbourly
Found: little black kitten turned up at my door. I've given it milk and mince which it has devoured..!! but seems lost and jolly hungry. Will need to take to SPCA if no one claims..[image of cat drinking milk from a bowl]
feed random cat some milk
follow the trail of runny shit back to its owners house
profit
Old 30th May 2018, 17:46     #41013
CCS
Stunt Pants

My first thoughts were "Statue, Liz?" but no, this is some other nutty bitch.

Quote:
Clements wants the referendum to ask New Zealanders: "Should the North Shore establish as an independent city-state to demonstrate a new economic model at the heart of New Zealand?"

She believes the Labour Government is leading the country towards "financial ruin" and hopes independence will save the North Shore from the same fate.
~
She also believes 1080 could be responsible for Mycoplasma bovis disease, affecting New Zealand cattle.

Ironically, she's a member of the Logic Party. In fact, it looks like she's the founder and possibly only member. The website is full of nuttiness that isn't really worth reading in full, but this nugget caught my eye:

Quote:
[The Paris Agreement] will also transfer out billions in our taxes to finance the United Nations into genuine global power, based on increasing control over sovereign tax systems; that both Bill Gates and The Pope now currently promote. We should also not discount the current use of weather warfare, in the form of electromagnetic and EMP technologies and Haarp, that are capable of inflicting weather catastrophes that could 'in the future' trigger mass transfers of sovereign taxes to the UN, under the guise of humanitarian support for weather emergencies.

Yep. You mentioned EMP and HAARP. That's how I know you're nuts.
Old 30th May 2018, 18:24     #41014
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Subtext: all Jews out
Old 31st May 2018, 08:49     #41015
pxpx

I would like the north shore to become independent from Miriam Clements
Old 31st May 2018, 09:53     #41016
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
She wanted the city to be governed by its own two Prime Ministers and also envisaged a new airport at Whenuapai
I wonder if anyone has told her that Whenuapai isn't on the North Shore.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:32     #41017
Lightspeed

Well this is something different:
Arkady Babchenko: Ukraine faked murder of journalist
Old 31st May 2018, 21:56     #41018
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
I wonder if anyone has told her that Whenuapai isn't on the North Shore.
She may have inadvertently disclosed part of the Lebensraum part of her plan.
Old 1st June 2018, 19:24     #41019
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If life’s getting you down, just remember you’re not jr smith
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:02     #41020
StN
I have detailed files

Hmmm - full credit to Taika, and all his work so far. Just wondering which last name he'll use in his credit for this movie...

Jojo Rabbit.

“I’m stoked to begin shooting my anti-war satire,” Waititi said. “We’ve assembled an incredible cast and I couldn’t be more excited to finally ridicule Nazis and their beliefs. This film is going to piss off a lot of racists and that makes me very happy.”

Has the precident of a Jewish decendant man of colour playing Hitler been established?
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:19     #41021
MadMax
Stuff

Is it just me or does When the Saints Go Marching In seem to appear in every good kids music book? Is there a kids Casio keyboard that doesn't have it as a built-in song?

It's a great number for teaching relationship the between notes and chords, just a shame that's never specifically mentioned in those early stages of learning.

Last edited by MadMax : 3rd June 2018 at 11:20.
Old 4th June 2018, 12:46     #41022
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Is it just me or does When the Saints Go Marching In seem to appear in every good kids music book? Is there a kids Casio keyboard that doesn't have it as a built-in song?

It's a great number for teaching relationship the between notes and chords, just a shame that's never specifically mentioned in those early stages of learning.
My thought is that we don't teach harmony early for the same reasons we don't teach something like the Oxford comma when someone is first learning punctuation.

When I teach, my mistake is that I usually go to the mechanics first, and build up the components that produce the song. My girlfriend is a beginner and is learning a piece of music, it is in F, and it has a standard iii-vi-ii-V progression using various inversions that make for nice voice leading. I point this out with the intention of revealing that there is nothing unusual about the song....Perhaps my pointing this out will spark her curiosity in the many layers of depth that can be derived from any piece of music, and how knowing these things can be little shortcuts one can use to learn and comprehend music.

Wrong.

This doesn't help her at all. Her intuition and familiarity with the song will tell her when she's playing the song correctly, while learning a 2nd inversion A-minor chord as a precursor to actually playing a song might take her to extreme depths of boredom.... well, because before you can learn A-minor, I have to teach the concept of modal scales ... and before you know it I've got her playing scales and arpeggios rather than playing the song. I am asking her to understand tenses, adjectives and first-person proclamations before she can say "I am hungry." The point is, she will be able to communicate perfectly fine without understanding these elements of the language. Just as she can play the song without knowing the underlying harmonic components.

With our words, or our music. We learn to communicate well enough that others can get our meaning, then when we wish to communicate more effectively we learn more about grammar and vocabulary so we can control tone, flow, comprehension of new material, et al.
Old 5th June 2018, 10:39     #41023
Cyberbob

So I just got a spam/malware alert email at my work address, supposedly from my personal email address.

My personal email address is Gmail /Gsuite for Business, and isn't hooked up to any external client, i.e. Outlook, etc.

Is there another avenue in which my Gmail address could have been used as a spam sender, or is it more likely to be on of those early 2000's malware that send emails that look like it came from one of your contacts, so the compromised individual just so happens to have both my work address (the recipient of the spam) and my personal address (the fake sender) in their address book?

Last edited by Cyberbob : 5th June 2018 at 10:41.
Old 5th June 2018, 13:33     #41024
StN
I have detailed files

^^^ Probably the latter - have you checked "Have I been pwned"?
Old 5th June 2018, 21:56     #41025
MadMax
Stuff

in all my years i've never seen a spam email purporting to have come from an employee's personal email address.

Client email addresses however, of course yes. I'd look at your work contacts that also might have your personal email address. Can happen to amatures that add personal email addresses to their work phones and wonder why they're suddenly emailing their clients from the wrong address.

Last edited by MadMax : 5th June 2018 at 21:57.
Old 8th June 2018, 22:24     #41026
MadMax
Stuff

Christ almighty

i5-8400
GA-Z370XP-SLI
ADATA XPG SX8200

Last edited by MadMax : 8th June 2018 at 22:26.
Old 9th June 2018, 01:11     #41027
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

This guy clearly didn't get an Apacer.

(But he also runs Windows, so any gains were lost to random processes doing things he didn't ask for)
Old 9th June 2018, 20:35     #41028
MadMax
Stuff

Just a shame raid0 of pcie ssd drives just doesn't work out.

On another note, I wasted an evening to backup testing only to find my old raid0 array -- "legacy" even, just magically turned up on the new build. UEFI everything fastboot enabled even.

Last edited by MadMax : 9th June 2018 at 20:38.
Old 13th June 2018, 18:20     #41029
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Hmmm - full credit to Taika, and all his work so far. Just wondering which last name he'll use in his credit for this movie...

Jojo Rabbit.

“I’m stoked to begin shooting my anti-war satire,” Waititi said. “We’ve assembled an incredible cast and I couldn’t be more excited to finally ridicule Nazis and their beliefs. This film is going to piss off a lot of racists and that makes me very happy.”

Has the precident of a Jewish decendant man of colour playing Hitler been established?
Now they're lobbying for him to be Boba? Miffed that the comments have closed and I can't correct them when they say originally played by Jeremy Bulloch in ESB - we all know he was introduced back in 1978 by Don Francks….
Old 18th June 2018, 14:30     #41030
Cyberbob

Well, i guess Fail Fast is part of the Agile methodology.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-job-contracts
Old 18th June 2018, 14:46     #41031
Lightspeed

I don't understand how it's legal to insist employees accept changes to their contract or lose their jobs. A new contract shouldn't be able to nullify an existing contract. It's a recipe for bait & switch.
Old 18th June 2018, 14:52     #41032
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Well, i guess Fail Fast is part of the Agile methodology.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-job-contracts
*cringe*

I worked in an AV company where the general manager (ex-Telstra) would host Sales Meetings as stand-up meetings. And would then punch the sales goals into Trello ... oh my... this is what happens when a programmer from the 90's somehow ends up managing a national sales team without ever being in sales.

From what I can tell, agile (along with pretty much any other "management science") is lucky to work even in development team, let alone applying it to other teams. It's the story that middle managers tell themselves so they can sleep at night: "I just haven't found the right management methodology yet..."
Old 18th June 2018, 15:27     #41033
Lightspeed

I've seen Agile used as an excuse not to document, or plan, or do anything really, except what the customer who is screaming the loudest today is demanding.
Old 18th June 2018, 17:07     #41034
Nich

hah! Yep. Call it "Agile" and it sounds like there is high-functioning team behind it all. Like how one can create a few new folders in a shared drive and call it PRINCE2

Unfortunately in my example, agile was used to blissfully ignore customer feedback. The method, the strategy, and the workflows were developed in a hypothetical vacuum by people with no experience in the jobs to which they were applying governance. So long as the methods were untouched by ... you know ... REALITY then they worked perfectly. And not once did they come out and interview any subject-matter experts to gain any insight before unleashing their corporate utopian vision.

I think the death blow to company culture and morale was the unveiling of the "end-to-end process" outlining the lifecycle of projects. They used characters from animated movies and tv shows to redefine everyone's role in the company and how they play their specific part in the project. I was a pre-sales engineer, and my character was a Minion from Despicable Me. Every single employee was visibly offended or just straight up depressed that their contributions to the company had been diminished instantly.

I had to sit across the table from screaming customers ready to flip a table. I tried to relay the experiences back to upper management but all I got in return was stories of how great the company was 5 years ago. So I resigned.
Old 18th June 2018, 17:11     #41035
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I don't understand how it's legal to insist employees accept changes to their contract or lose their jobs. A new contract shouldn't be able to nullify an existing contract. It's a recipe for bait & switch.

It's simple really - it's not a change to an existing contract. The old position has been disestablished and the contract along with it. New positions have been established and new contracts with them.

Before you shit your pants and start putting words in my mouth, I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just saying that's how it is.
Old 18th June 2018, 20:17     #41036
Lightspeed

You've become fragile in your dotage, CCS.
Old 18th June 2018, 20:39     #41037
CCS
Stunt Pants

Nah, you've just got form.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:39     #41038
StN
I have detailed files

Old 19th June 2018, 08:30     #41039
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
hah! Yep. Call it "Agile" and it sounds like there is high-functioning team behind it all. Like how one can create a few new folders in a shared drive and call it PRINCE2

Unfortunately in my example, agile was used to blissfully ignore customer feedback. The method, the strategy, and the workflows were developed in a hypothetical vacuum by people with no experience in the jobs to which they were applying governance. So long as the methods were untouched by ... you know ... REALITY then they worked perfectly. And not once did they come out and interview any subject-matter experts to gain any insight before unleashing their corporate utopian vision.

I think the death blow to company culture and morale was the unveiling of the "end-to-end process" outlining the lifecycle of projects. They used characters from animated movies and tv shows to redefine everyone's role in the company and how they play their specific part in the project. I was a pre-sales engineer, and my character was a Minion from Despicable Me. Every single employee was visibly offended or just straight up depressed that their contributions to the company had been diminished instantly.

I had to sit across the table from screaming customers ready to flip a table. I tried to relay the experiences back to upper management but all I got in return was stories of how great the company was 5 years ago. So I resigned.

I can see the nearly the exact same thing happening at the place I'm at now. Key similarities bolded. In my case the end-to-end process unveiling hasn't quite happened yet, but it's coming.
Old 19th June 2018, 09:19     #41040
pxpx

GMG and an OMG

Put offer on a house, subject to the usual things. Knew there were a few maintenance issues with the place but did not expect all 3 bathrooms to be leaking (tiled showers w/ poorly designed waterproofing).

We were about 90% certain we were going to pull out based on that alone, but got pushed to 1-fucking-00% percent when we found out from the locals that the current occupant was a known meth dealer and the house was used for dealing.

Stoked to dodge the bullet, but gutted because we were expecting to move in to our "next 25 years" home.